Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someones cutting trees on my land

• 14-09-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

i have a piece of land thats away from the homeplace.
    Its stocked and stock is checked every second day.

A railway line (that is no longer in use) runs at the bottom of the land and i have a small parcel of land (~1 ha) on the other side of the railway line that i dont use. Its very remote and difficult to access..
    its declared as a wildlife habitat in my reps plan.
    Eventually i plan on planting the same piece of ground.

I walk this particular bit of land a few times a year just to check it.
    Today i checked it and i see that someone has knocked a couple of large (35 - 40 year old) ash trees in the last few days. Good job they were not there at the time as it would have got a bit messy - i was that vexed!
    Anyway, what are my options here?

Put up a no trespassing sign?
    Contact the guards?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dryan wrote: »

A railway line (that is no longer in use) runs at the bottom of the land and i have a small parcel of land (~1 ha) on the other side of the railway line that i dont use. Its very remote and difficult to access..

Today i checked it and i see that someone has knocked a couple of large (35 - 40 year old) ash trees in the last few days. Good job they were not there at the time as it would have got a bit messy - i was that vexed!

Contact the guards?

cheers.

ya deffo get the guards, keep an eye on done deal for lads selling ash in your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Contact the guards?

cheers.

If it was me I would contact the guards. I wouldnt too confident as to what they'll do, or can do. But you should report it.

Can you get out the chainsaw and get that ash out of there before someone comes back to take it?

Put up no trespassing signs, but not sure what good it is. But at least they're up, and people know someone is watching the place.

I'd also make enquiries as to whether any of your neighbours saw anything or anyone in there (altho not sure how successful that would be, given you say its fairly remote)

I guess try to walk it more, or ask someone you know to wander down around there every now and then...

We owe a bit of woodland / scrub, which would have bushes and bits of trees on it. Last year, I spoke to 3 people who were basically helping themselves... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like someone chancing their arm, tbh, and cutting down some nice looking trees in a remote area.

When is the last time you walking along there? I'm thinking they may be chopping a tree down every so often, after not getting any hassle after the first one.

As well as the Gardai, put some "no trespassing" signs up. Stick one on an ash tree to get the point across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

ya deffo get the guards, keep an eye on done deal for lads selling ash in your area
    Also contact local hurley makers. They may approach them too. Ash butts are worth a lot more than the firewood in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Contact the guards?

cheers.

I'd say that was Eleganza, from the other chainsaw thread, just proving to all us doubters, that you can cut through half a forest in an afternoon, with one of those Lidl chainsaws :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Ring the forest service in wexford and find out who the forestry inspector for your area is. Call him/her and tell them what's going on. You need a felling licence to cut your trees and some inspectors will drag you to hell if you cut without one.
    But at any rate inform them of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Lay down a few of them wolf/bear traps with the giant jaws and wait a few weeks before going back... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like someone chancing their arm, tbh, and cutting down some nice looking trees in a remote area.

When is the last time you walking along there? I'm thinking they may be chopping a tree down every so often, after not getting any hassle after the first one.

As well as the Gardai, put some "no trespassing" signs up. Stick one on an ash tree to get the point across?

Forget about the no trespassing signs. Don't work.
    This sign works great, nobody wants to hang around too long with this!
    poison_sign.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If they are fairly big ash trees and they cut them right at the butt (or dug around the butt to cut lower) then its definitely for hurlies. As pakalasa said, they're worth more for hurlies than for firewood.

Definitely report it to Guards

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭dryan

Thanks guys.
    Going to go with the sign, the guards, and will have a chat to a few lads in the area (not that it will help)

i do believe its for the firewood market.
    only last winter, most of the larger trees growing alongside the railway line itself were cut down.
    I only noticed it in the spring as some of the fences were damaged.
    I contacted a local CIE representative to complain.
    Told me that as the line is now closed, they have no maintenance going on and that it was probably a few local lads cutting timber to sell it on.

My guess is that its the same lads cutting my trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

It might be kids getting in early preparation for Halloween bonfires. I know when I was a kid we would usually start collecting for wood as soon as we're back to school!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pakalasa wrote: »
    Also contact local hurley makers. They may approach them too. Ash butts are worth a lot more than the firewood in them.

Yes - this kind of thing is on the rise. One criminal recently got done for stealing ash tree's from Declan Ganley's place in Galway.

PS: Perhaps the OP might consider installing a trail camera if the problem persists, this method is increasingly used to target illegal dumpers in a number of counties. JG(da mod) gave some good advice on that subject not so long ago.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

I could swear, I saw a piece of one of your trees in Croke Park, last Sunday week. Them Kilkenny boys, fairly move around the country in their Hi Ace vans:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Take a look at this link.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/ganleyd.html

Big money in native ash trees for hurley making at the moment, as the majority of ash is being shipped in from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I'd say that was Eleganza, from the other chainsaw thread, just proving to all us doubters, that you can cut through half a forest in an afternoon, with one of those Lidl chainsaws :D:D
    and I also said that nomadic people who own no land love chainsaws.
    it was impossible to deal with nomadic people as they'd bring in saws with the serial numbers ground off or on one occassion we checked a serial number from a saw and it had been stolen in a different part of the country.
    they'd ask for them to be fixed, negotiate in the way nomadic people negotiate and often they'd try to launder their stolen goods through us.
    Impossible to deal with these nomadic people while staying within the rules of the equal status act.
    I guarantee you that the nomadic people who own no land weren't bothering to buy anything in lidl no matter how much of a bargain it was.

irish ash is preferable to eastern european ash as the growth is faster and grain is wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Take a look at this link.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/ganleyd.html

Big money in native ash trees for hurley making at the moment, as the majority of ash is being shipped in from abroad.

"the theft of eight mature ash trees valued at €21,600 taken from ancient, protected woodland"

:eek:

Holy God! Thats over 2500 per tree. What diameter were the trees?

it is hard work. you have to dig down to the roots and cut out below ground level.
    A former all-ireland winning hurler arsehole I knew used to use Husky 65 saws with very short bars for the work and the saw chain would be destroyed by stones and gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭dryan

The trees are cut well above the ground and are being cut for firewood.
    There is a nice little heap left to one side that i am going to help myself to this evening.

3 trees were knocked. the trunk diamater would be around 24 inches where they were cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

also,report it to your reps planner so it is noted in case of an inspection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The trees are cut well above the ground and are being cut for firewood.
    There is a nice little heap left to one side that i am going to help myself to this evening.

3 trees were knocked. the trunk diamater would be around 24 inches where they were cut.

Don't rest 'till you've every bit home.

I "know a man" who was having timber stolen on him who carefully drilled out holes in an irresistable little bit and placed a live shotgun cartridge in the hole, plugged them and waited for the bang!

I would not recommend anyone to try this!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I heard of a bloke round our way, who was having turf stolen, and put a shotgun cartrige in the pile, he forgot about it and put a load on his own fire and nearly lost his eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i dont know what would annoy me more, the fact they are on my land with out permission or the fact they stole the wood, ffs i know things are bad but channces are if they asked you for a tree you would have given them one , its just the sleeven (sp) way they have gone about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

How would you work out 'insurance wise' if they cut their foot off on your land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

whelan1 wrote: »
    i dont know what would annoy me more, the fact they are on my land with out permission or the fact they stole the wood, ffs i know things are bad but channces are if they asked you for a tree you would have given them one , its just the sleeven (sp) way they have gone about it

Ah, Whealan, that's real generous of you. I'll be there first thing in the morning.
    PS. When you bring the sandwiches, I prefer brown bread.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Ah, Whealan, that's real generous of you. I'll be there first thing in the morning.
    PS. When you bring the sandwiches, I prefer brown bread.:cool:
    i would have no problem giving a fallen tree to someone, as often i will get the favour returned, doesnt hurt to ask

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP saw this sign in a breakers yard years ago

'SHOTGUN PATROL 3 NIGHTS A WEEK,
    TAKE YOUR PICK'

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

whelan1 wrote: »
    i would have no problem giving a fallen tree to someone, as often i will get the favour returned, doesnt hurt to ask

I help out where I can, I get far more help from my neighbours than I can repay, its sort of like paying into a pot, and makes life worth living.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

What some farmers used to do when they had ash trees stolen was to put nails into the tree especially near the base to f#c% up the chainsaw and I suppose to make the tree worthless to them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT.
    SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.

:D

Advertisement