Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
    an iced Royal Oak or president ! REALLY ....
    Yup. I can sorta understand jewelling up a dress watch, but something like a Daytona?

1522281040785.jpg

For me that's like pimping up a Mercedes G-Wagon. And then I googled...

381ea060b1a00619fd1fb393e7d5c374.jpg

:eek::D

It can be very culturally biased too. Some cultures and subcultures prefer understatement, while others the more ostentatious bling the better. Economics can come into it too, so the rapper culture that comes from street kids often from very underprivileged backgrounds, understandably want to show off how far they've come, so pimp up their lives with everything new, shiny and obviously expensive to telegraph what they feel are the trappings of wealth and thumb a nose at the mainstream society and can get into an arms race with it. And fair enough in my humble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    It seems that war has broken out on the internet regarding this new El Primero. Bark and Jack has taken down his vid called it a homage.
    It's a bit chicken or egg going on too. Here's one from 69:

Zenith-El-Primero-A386-Phillips-Watches-1969.jpg

Is that a Daytona clone too? Maybe, but it could be argued that the Daytona was a Zenith clone of sorts. Well the auto used the Zenith movement with a few tweaks. And there are only so many ways you can design a three register chronograph without going too mad, or dating things too much.

EG couldn't be any more 60's if it tried.
    s-l640.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I hadn't been aware of the new Zenith until I read the conversation here.
    Yes, its derivative but as Wibbs has beaten me too the punch on a bit of watch knowledge that I was proud I held ;)
    The original Zenith chrono's prior to their takeover by Zenith electronics could very well be said to have "inspired" the Daytona (Even with movement sharing)

They are very looky likey, but from a purely functional standpoint?
    I'd have the Zenith!
    Bigger, lumed sub-hands, a date!
    and available at retail for 3k less that Rolex Unobtainium!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wibbs I was in weirs and they had that rainbow daytona in the case for sale. I joked with my wife about who would pay 70k for that abomination, the sales person said it would be a hard sell...that was 2018....today they go for 250k+....FML

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Cyrus wrote: »
    apologies if posted already but i really like the new zenith chronomaster, yes its a ceramic daytona knock off but i give zenith a pass in that regard, has the striking tenth movement, and at 41mm it should wear nicely rather than the little small that the stainless steel daytone does.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zenith-chronomaster-sport-el-primero-3600-calibre/

Must say I really like that El Primero, black dial would be my preference.

Nice to hear that they have reduced the amount of parts yet added some new functionalities - "hacking seconds, quick-set date function, and a longer power reserve of 60 hours".

I've long admired but never handled a Zenith, do they hold up well in person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eljono wrote: »
    Must say I really like that El Primero, black dial would be my preference.

Nice to hear that they have reduced the amount of parts yet added some new functionalities - "hacking seconds, quick-set date function, and a longer power reserve of 60 hours".

I've long admired but never handled a Zenith, do they hold up well in person?

yes imo, have always liked zenith, they are as well made as anything else at the price point i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wibbs I was in weirs and they had that rainbow daytona in the case for sale. I joked with my wife about who would pay 70k for that abomination

Very popular in the rapper / gangsta culture and therefore fashionable. Even middle aged lads like Wahlberg and Beckham have one now :p

fashion-icon-david-beckham-spotted-wearing-a-rainbow-daytona-rolex.jpg

I'm far from fashionable myself - my fashion has been mostly jeans and t-shirt for the last few decades - but I admit I do quite fancy it myself, purely as some extravagant jewelry of course. I couldn't read the time on that unless I'd use a magnifying glass

Zenith are another one of those brands like Longines that have dropped from previous heights(though not nearly as far as Longines). Zenith were an innovative company that produced many very nice watches and movements down the years and won a lot of industry prizes and racked up the chronometer trials wins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Bark and Jack has taken down his vid called it a homage.

There's still a video on B&J where he refers to it as a 'homage'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY1Gzudi0s&t=156s

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just after getting back from getting an eye test at Specsavers in Blanchardstown shopping centre. The Optometrist was wearing a Rolex Day-Date 36 'Cherry Dial'

YST1pVz.jpg

A member on Boards.ie over on the shooting section. He also has an Air-King and is looking to get a GMT- Pepsi. He was saying some of the other guys working there have Omega's, Breitling and a Submariner (I'm defiantly in the wrong line if work!:D)

I was telling him about this great corner of Boards (all the while thinking to myself " bet Unkel would love this! :) ).

Was wearing my 4006-6020 Bell-Matic and demonstrated the alarm, he never seen anything like it! :cool:

BjJvRv2.jpg

A great start to the week!, fantastic getting to chat in person with someone with an interest in watches and seeing them in the wild.

• Advertisement

:cool:
    There's still a video on B&J where he refers to it as a 'homage'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY1Gzudi0s&t=156s

Maybe its up in edited form.....he like to court a bit on controversary.

142807942_10157455205846442_405211058578404182_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=77tvIQk89TUAX9GY9f3&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=ae6b594a5bb3620a3f862d7e991c8ef0&oe=603390DA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Following on from the watch arses thread, 893bet asked for more photos of the front of the Nomos Orion 38 date.

The silver plating on the dial is a much warmer tone than the photos on the Nomos website would suggest. I’m not sure if the plating on this version is the same as the white version, or whether the gold plated indices trick the eye into perceiving it as warmer. Either way, I’d probably have chosen the white if I were buying new, but the opportunity for this one came up via CosmicJay of this parish.

I had some doubts amount the gold indices, but I love it in the metal, there’s a real feeling of luxury about it. I picked up cheap brown and blue leather straps for it. Both work well and I’ll get around to getting some better quality ones soon.

540917.jpeg
    540918.jpeg
    540919.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

I can’t see pics?

I think I tried to buy CJs watch that time and missed out if I recall.

Damn that red day date is something special!

893bet wrote: »
    I can’t see pics?

Fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

20210125-180334.jpg

@David from the arse thread.

The way I view the lugs they very much extend out on the wrist instead of hugging the wrist. This means that on a wrist smaller than mine, even though the dial size would be perfect, the lugs could extend out over your wrist. I reckon anyone under a 6.75 inch wrist should get the 35.5 and anyone over should go for the 38.

Edit, just to add from the pic you may think they curve down over the wrist because of the sharp curvy bit but I don't think this is really the case when you have it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

redlead wrote: »

@David from the arse thread.

The way I view the lugs they very much extend out on the wrist instead of hugging the wrist. This means that on a wrist smaller than mine, even though the dial size would be perfect, the lugs could extend out over your wrist. I reckon anyone under a 6.75 inch wrist should get the 35.5 and anyone over should go for the 38.

Edit, just to add from the pic you may think they curve down over the wrist because of the sharp curvy bit but I don't think this is really the case when you have it on.

Amazing thanks for doing that - makes my decision even harder though :pac:

That's very deceptive alright, you'd swear they curved but in reality they probably sit flush with the caseback. Form over function for sure!

If only they made a Goldilocks 36.25mm... It's made how much 2.5mm in the total diameter can totally change the feel and look of a watch. I was looking at the Antea KS/365 also but the thicker bezel really makes it look optically smaller IMO.

Actually very tempted to stick both on the credit card and return the 'wrong' one at this rate.

For completeness, here’s the same angle on the Orion 38. The placement of the strap ends is remarkably similar despite the different lug shape, but the Orion curves and hugs the wrist a little more, with the springbars just below the level of the back of the case, rather than a millimeter or two higher on the Tangente.

540940.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

david wrote: »

That's very deceptive alright, you'd swear they curved but in reality they probably sit flush with the caseback. Form over function for sure!

Thats exactly it. The bottom of the curve is perfectly aligned with the bottom of the caseback. Thats very interesting comparing it to Dakars Orion. That one definitely curves down so would likely wear slightly smaller than the tangente even though the lugs have more presence.

dakar wrote: »
    Fixed?

Yes. Very nice. I tried to buy that from CJ but it was sold before I got there. I don’t think I would have kept it with the gold accents in any case. Still lovely.

unkel wrote: »
    It will likely be a lot cheaper to buy it now and hide it away for the next 16 years!
    If this place is around and I am too :eek::D I'll bet you one hundred euro that you'll be wrong. :p

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    If this place is around and I am too :eek::D I'll bet you one hundred euro that you'll be wrong. :p

You seriously reckon a Milgauss will be worth less in 16 years than it is now? What do you base that on? Pure wishful thinking maybe? :p

I hope you'll still be around anyway. Not so sure if boards will survive that long though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Just after getting back from getting an eye test at Specsavers in Blanchardstown shopping centre. The Optometrist was wearing a Rolex Day-Date 36 'Cherry Dial'

A member on Boards.ie over on the shooting section. He also has an Air-King and is looking to get a GMT- Pepsi. He was saying some of the other guys working there have Omega's, Breitling and a Submariner (I'm defiantly in the wrong line if work!:D)

I was telling him about this great corner of Boards (all the while thinking to myself " bet Unkel would love this! :) ).

Was wearing my 4006-6020 Bell-Matic and demonstrated the alarm, he never seen anything like it! :cool:

A great start to the week!, fantastic getting to chat in person with someone with an interest in watches and seeing them in the wild.

Jesus this is a thing if beauty YST1pVz.jpg

You seriously reckon a Milgauss will be worth less in 16 years than it is now? What do you base that on? Pure wishful thinking maybe? :p

I hope you'll still be around anyway. Not so sure if boards will survive that long though :p
    These things go in cycles U. The current fashion/trend for men's watches could go either way and most likely downwards. Oh there will always be a small gang of people who will vie for the very top slot rarefied stuff, but that's the case with all collectables and luxury items, but the mass of people not so much. Watches are mass produced items produced in their millions, we're not talking renaissance grand masters here(and even they fluctuate). The hobby and trend simply couldn't exist if they were actually rare and limited in number. Indeed I've seen some of the very rarest examples of actual horological significance go for buttons*. Now there is a shortage at the moment, but it's an entirely artificial one and the market is buying into that, but it may not buy into it for long. And it won't take much. The interwebs which fomented the enthusiasm has a short attention span and disillusionment travels faster than ever. 16 years ago people would consider us mad for paying more for a steel case over a solid gold one and yet today... 16 years ago vintage IWC were worth more than today. 16 years ago military issued watches were barely on the radar, but today are way more pricey, but the market has stagnated with few selling compared to even five years ago.

But appreciate the well wishes for my survival U. :)

*two years ago I spotted one of the first truly waterproof watches(along with the Tavannes "Submarine") designed and made in 1917 with only one known to survive. I didn't bother putting in a bid because I figured it would go for thousands. 500 quid. I still have kick marks on my back.... You can get a Tavannes "Submarine" for around the same money when they come up.

You'll be proven wrong on the Milgauss though Wibbs

It's underrated, undervalued (still worth less than retail as one of the very few steel Rolex), yet generally considered a classic and most likely to be discontinued in the next few years and never made in huge quantities. One of the likeliest currently available Rolex watches to go up in value (don't take my word for it, several dealers have recently stated this)

And when in the last few decades have Rolex gone out of fashion? :p The mark is far more popular now and has better brand recognition (both with young people) than it ever was.

This is not a sales pitch for Fitz either. If I had the spare cash to have kept the Milgauss (as an investment and for occasional wear), I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

As a man that drives an electric car and understands Crypto do you not get the irony of your statement claiming that watches will be always in demand ?

I didn't claim that watches in general will always be in demand. Always is a very long time anyway :p But if you think about it, we never needed watches less than we do now, we all have phones that tell us the time better. Yet luxury watches were never this popular and never was so much money spent on them. The Rolex brand in particular is really strong in this market. Go show any 12 year old (boy or girl) a Rolex and ask what it is. 95% will recognise it immediately. Had you done so 10 years ago, this figure would have been lower, 20 years ago even lower, etc. These are the people that quite likely will buy a Rolex once they have the money in a few decades time. Even when by then people will barely realise what a rapper was or this ridiculous gang culture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

scwazrh wrote: »
    As a man that drives an electric car and understands Crypto do you not get the irony of your statement claiming that watches will be always in demand ?
    Not sure on this electric cars are a necessity crypto may or may not be the future of finance watches are an emotional choice(regardless of flipping which is a means to an end) otherwise we'd all be using our phones to check the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Agreed that we don’t need watches anymore .Eventually watches will be outdated in the same way a V8 will be in museum piece and cash will be as strange as a pound note to my 13 yr old .

Will it happen in 16yrs as mentioned? Who knows , but I didn’t think 16 yrs ago that I would be changing all my cash for crypto and waiting to trade my diesel pickup for an electric one.The idea of Rolex watches only going one way is not as sound as you might think.

In absolute terms the Milgauss will cost more in 16 years.

But...

The rate of increase of the last 5 years cannot be maintained for Rolex
    The rate of inflation for the next 16 is unknown.
    The cost of ownership for the next 16 years can’t be ignored. There is a reasonable chance of a 600 quid plus service at some point. Especially if you actually wear the watch.
    The opportunity cost of 8k tied up for 16 years can’t be ignored. With the right investment that 16k could easily be 32k or 320k or 32cents.

One may say they are undervalued. Or are they over valued? Given that the mania of the last 5 years never really hit them (even OPs are more than retail for Christ sake) then it seems they are unloved by the general public. I wouldn’t place my house on them becoming anything more than a cult classic, and that’s a relatively small cult.

• Advertisement

My advice to anyone is buy the watch not the promise of profit. The milgauss has treated me well, and with the service (they are 800 euro now plus parts) I am looking to get out what I am in it for and they are rising in price. In 16 years who knows but if you are after a interesting, wearable and robust rolex look no further.

Advertisement