Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ouch...

Steinhart: You could not afford a Rolex or IWC. While you truly enjoy wearing your Hulk Sub homage, deep-down, you question where the line is between imitation and theft.

Very rich people are a weird subset of people alright, We really dont have them here in Ireland, in London there are loads, their calibration of what is expensive is just different to 99.9% of the human race. On the plus side James Bond....that young fellow with the AP will never appreciate any watch he has a much as you do your Datejust when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I felt a little insecure in my lowly seamaster... interesting on the gold thing. I was adamant when I got married a year ago that I wanted a traditional gold wedding band, went for an 18k 6mm court style. Classic in my mind, the Arabs must thing I'm a nancy!

I went with a silver and gold Solvar ring, that despite being relatively cheap was quite hard to find

I knew what I wanted before I started looking, had an image of it in mind, the design of it, in particular, meant a lot to me and both my son and Mrs.
    I knew I wanted a Celtic Trinity knot, to celebrate the 3 parts of our family joining as one (Cheesy! I know ;) )
    S21010.jpg?fit=fill&bg=fff&w=400&h=400&auto=compress

That and watches are the only jewellery I own or wear (Tho a medical alert bracelet does need sorting soon too.)

Fitz II wrote: »
    Ouch...

Steinhart: You could not afford a Rolex or IWC. While you truly enjoy wearing your Hulk Sub homage, deep-down, you question where the line is between imitation and theft.

Very rich people are a weird subset of people alright, We really dont have them here in Ireland, in London there are loads, their calibration of what is expensive is just different to 99.9% of the human race. On the plus side James Bond....that young fellow with the AP will never appreciate any watch he has a much as you do your Datejust when you get it.

I've got a Steinhart I bought from you that I'm honestly considering selling as my one out for an IWC...:o
    I feel like he reached inside my head and violated me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I felt a little insecure in my lowly seamaster... interesting on the gold thing. I was adamant when I got married a year ago that I wanted a traditional gold wedding band, went for an 18k 6mm court style. Classic in my mind, the Arabs must thing I'm a nancy!

On another interesting note, I bought my wife a new ring yesterday from a local jewellers. The jeweller had a nice steel and gold Omega lady constellation on so I asked her about watches. Her family do supply used watches so I'll definitely return to her when the time comes.

Not nancy - just an infidel ;)

When I searched for why Muslim men may have a fatwa against wearing gold I came (pun unintended) across this article (it was 3rd in my search results):
    http://jhsme.muq.ac.ir/article-1-15-en.pdf

Very interesting "scientific" view of why men can't wear gold and women can "gold rays through red blood cells" - measures the amount of gold in one's semen as part of research too.

A tragedy - as for a period the Muslim world led in scientific advances and progress.

This was a good article I read recent about how "the rich" live (about a millionaire taking the plunge in deciding to buy a private jet and the problems one encounters in such a purchase) - unfortunately I can't find that article now but here's a rundown of what costs one could expect when running a private jet:
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33046/heres-what-it-really-costs-to-own-or-charter-a-private-jet

and what tax considerations you should keep in mind too (good ol' Deloitte has you covered!):
    https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/Tax/us-tax-deloitte-private-aircraft-022615.pdf

But I can get it - if you're a billionaire where you travel so much around the US/world that you end up spending 2-3 months in airports - doesn't it make sense to get those 3 months of time back in return for a measly 15-20 million dollars? Sometimes - first class actually isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

So as many of you may know, I am the principal in a Middle Eastern school. Rich Arab kids are the norm but this took the box of biscuits. One of my older students (think 5th year) rocks up this morning to school in his 4 series BMW. He also drives a 7 series too. As he is late, I ask him the time and he pulls back his sleeve to reveal a Royal Oak Tourbillion. I'm thinking this can't be bloody real, surely!? I did ask him, could not help it, where he got it from. A present from his father apparently, but he prefers wearing his Rolex's (a presidential and a everose daytona with rubber strap) on other days, the AP is only for special occasions he says. There I am busting my arse with the reward of maybe being able to afford a (used) datejust when I finish up in a few years. Had a nice chat about watches in general but it was surreal. God bless the working man!

Assume he has a Snapchat where he puts all his watches on his steering wheel or similar. Generally littered with tasteless “iced” bling.

When you are truly rich I guess what else are you gonna spend your money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Fitz II wrote: »
    Ouch...

Dead right. By total coincidence we have a 4 series sitting on the drive at home, bought and paid for through hard work (good luck played a part in fairness) and two Omega's, both paid for out of our own pocket. I work bloody hard, I was at my desk at 7am this morning and just closed the laptop just now at 20.50, a normal working day for me. My wife works with me, also in management and she is sitting across the dinner table on her laptop as I type on boards. The rewards at the end will mean more to us than being handed things. I bought her a diamond ring yesterday for a combined Christmas, our first wedding anniversary and to celebrate her promotion and the gratitude she showed alone made it worth every rial. My AP friend won't ever know what that feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Tag Heuer: Your first “real” watch was a Link, which you initially saw in the pages of Golf Digest/Tennis Magazine. For the longest time, you had a crush on Maria Sharapova. The chip on your shoulder is slightly lessened when you see photos of vintage Carreras online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

He lumped Zodiac and Doxa together. I guess we all read the brands we own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fair play to him for not going to town on some of the cheaper brands
    Citizen: You work for NASA, and your job is to set the clocks on the GPS satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any of you eagle eyed watch officiendos able to identify the type of watch the legendary Pirlo wears?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fm0.joe.ie%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F04%2Fpirlo-style.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Advertisement

Given the bezel shape and screws visible?
    I'm gonna guess some flavour of AP...

I'm a novice tho, so one of the experts will no doubt know better.

It's a big bang.

It's a big bang.

Thanks for that :) knew the cavalry would be along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,695 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a big bang.

The Hublot Big Bang is favored by many ‘new money’ customers like soccer players, rappers, and the real estate broker down the street who recently made a small fortune

:p

unkel wrote: »
    The Hublot Big Bang is favored by many ‘new money’ customers like soccer players, rappers, and the real estate broker down the street who recently made a small fortune

No money and no taste - buy an Invicta.
    A bit of money and no taste - buy a Hublot.
    Loads of money and no taste - buy a Richard Mille.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

I suspect a lot of those are paid to wear them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ionised

If memory serves, Nomos did something similar last year with a competition entry each day in December (not that I won anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

TTWC has a good video up that might interest the military aviation watch-buffs here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxth143NHw&t=240s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ionised

Ionised wrote: »
    If memory serves, Nomos did something similar last year with a competition entry each day in December (not that I won anything).

Doing it again this year too... https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/advent-calendar

Thinking of Jesse's birthday present to Walt, I tried on a blue Monaco (€5,450 iirc :eek:) in Weir's of Dundrum today. Beautiful watch, but just a bit, eh, square :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

TTWC has a good video up that might interest the military aviation watch-buffs here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxth143NHw&t=240s

Wow. I was not expecting that :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

oxocube wrote: »
    Wow. I was not expecting that :eek:
    Yeah he's definitely very good at this stuff. Very well produced vid. Though the history was more than a little flawed *pedant*.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah he's definitely very good at this stuff. Very well produced vid. Though the history was more than a little flawed *pedant*.

High production value..he seems to repeat the narration from the cutaway segments which is a bit annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a reason why g-shocks are popular with builders. Handy to have for certain activities

Quartz is king! Perfect for an actual "tool" watch.

A much better everyday option then a mechanical watch. A solar quartz is as good as it gets if you ask me. Accurate, robust, cheap, lasts for 15 years without replacing the capacitor and it's always ready to go even when you left it off your wrist for a week.

I love my mechanical watches dont get me wrong. But right now my 38mm Citizen Promaster tough Titanium ecodeive 300m watet resistant
    With micro ratcheting clasp is just my ultimate tool, GADA watch.

Screenshot-20201207-091244-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20201207-091219-Gallery.jpg

I prefer that watch on the left :p

I prefer that watch on the left :p

yes id probably take that one to... i have a similar dial layout on the way in the next few weeks. nothing as expensive as a rolex.

i find citizen an odd one. Lots of youtubers talk highly of them even equal to seiko etc but they don't seem to get as much coverage as seiko in reviews or top 10s etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs wrote: »

I left a comment that 1. Hitler didn't 'hold Poland' in 1939 but shared it with Stalin. & 2. that the Battle of Britain didn't 'turn the tide for the allies' as the only allies in late-1940 were British dominions and governments in exile.
    I added that it was a good video and congratulated him on the job he'd done.

My comment was still taken down. I've experienced this before on a YT channel where even very mild negative commentary is deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My comment was still taken down. I've experienced this before on a YT channel where even very mild negative commentary is deleted.
    Really? That's a bit much alright. Funny enough he left my comment alone which included this bit:

As an aside, the Spitfire/Me 109 comparison is a bit old style WW2 propaganda tbh. For a start the Hurricane shot down more German aircraft. The 109 and Spit were pretty evenly matched, one having an advantage at different speeds and altitudes and vice versa. The main reasons the Germans lost were the channel and fuel and fighter production. The German fighters had very limited time over England. One reason(and watch related) the German fighter pilots privately bought Glashutte Chronos was to keep track of the time they had over England. They had way more bombers but fighter numbers were about equal. Plus if an RAF pilot had to bail out or crash land he was on home ground, the German was not. In some ways it would have been difficult for the RAF not to lose and even so it was a close run thing. As you noted in France and the Low Countries without the channel and fuel issues, the Germans cut them to pieces.

I even noted the dial design bore a strong resemblance to a pre war German air ministry design for navigator watches. And I didn't like the hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement