Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starship SN8 launch imminent

• 02-12-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

For anyone interested, TFR's ( temp flight restrictions) have been posted for the area around Boca C. From today until the Weekend with a flight now estimated to occur sometime Thursday.
    To say this is going to be spectacular is an understatement.
    Check out NasaSpaceFlight, EverydayAstronaut, WhatAboutIt and LaPadre and Scott Manley on Youtube for livestreams, up to date news and coverage of launch whenever it decides to happen.
    All ears are waiting for the siren!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

One small step for a man, another giant leap for a grain silo. Damn Covid, otherwise I'd have considered trying to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

ps200306 wrote: »
    One small step for a man, another giant leap for a grain silo. Damn Covid, otherwise I'd have considered trying to get there.

Yeah, sorry about that. Still, I've a job to do...

TFRs cancelled. Next opportunity is Monday according to Boca Chica Facebook group.

Live Nerdle Cam on South Padre Island:

Launch planned for today, Dec 8th between 8 am and 5 pm CST (UTC-6). Live coverage from SpaceX starting 4pm IST / UTC (10am CST ):

Nerdle Cam live pics from 2pm IST (8am CST):

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aborted on 0:01!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

It was extremely exciting to watch the reactions of the various Youtubers streaming it. Right Down to the wire! What About It was the best. Everyday Astronaut was yapping too much, as we're the guys at NasaSpaceFlight.
    However, their video feeds were exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Thargor wrote: »
    Aborted on 0:01!

It was actually -1.3! The engines had fired up! Gutted, had been watching all day. Hopefully they can try again today although I don't think I can take the suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trying again in an hour or so, some idiot wandered into the range in a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That was epic. Worth the wait. Bellyflop manoeuvre was insane! So close with the landing too!

https://youtu.be/ap-BkkrRg-o?t=6439

Amazing. The engine gimballing blew my mind. Must be like trying to balance a very fat pencil on the tip of a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ps200306 wrote: »
    Amazing. The engine gimballing blew my mind. Must be like trying to balance a very fat pencil on the tip of a finger.
    Try balancing a broom on your palm. It's easier with the weight of the head on top.

Corrections for balance will change with weight as the remaining fuel is used up.

Advertisement