Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why I am leaving Ireland in 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Great example was the fence on the motorway. A temporary fence was in place before more works were to be done. The fence adhered to the law. People complained because it was dangerous for motorcyclists. As a result a different fence was put in at a waste of €1.6million as it was going to have to come up again. There is a no win situation because you actually need to ignore the public sometimes which is actually what the should have done when the ERSI said we need to build housing in Dublin in 2012. They listened to the public instead and didn't build, should have ignored them. There in lives the problem of being a politician and getting stuff done.

I've read this paragraph a number of times and still haven't a clue what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Pension levy, insurance levies, PSO levies.

Have a look at all the extras on any if your utility bill.

Credit Card annual Stamp duty.

On and on....except for scoungers of course.

Most of those are not "stealth" taxes because it's clear when, how and why they are raised. Insurance levy is a reserve for when insurance companies fail and a reasonable number have had to be. Not everyone has or has a need for insurance, so it's fair that purchasers of insurance pay a tax.

PSO levy is to help pay for capital investment in green energy in Ireland, again needed to accelerate this area which is good for society and Ireland in the future. Stamp duty on credit cards is reasonable as credit cards are a luxury item.

The pension levy is questionable alright but I believe is to be phased out.

On water charges, we got that completely wrong. Wasters of water can just carry on with no penalty now and Joe tax payer picks up tab to treat every liter used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Make sure to register your house for asylum seekers. They take priority over citizens for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Igotadose wrote: »
    Love living in Ireland having moved here 5 years ago. Had looked into Australia at the time, too, it was our first choice but no chance at a job there and hence no opportunity. Biggest thing Australia had over Ireland was lots of empty space, could live somewhere without too many people around or having to deal with them. Ireland's fine as a second choice and once you get past the weather (which you'll complain about everywhere you live, though here it seems like it's the national pastime), it's great.

No no no, sorry, this is a thread for bashing Ireland. You can't come in here, from yer foreign lands, and be tellin' us how great it is! How bleedin' dare you. You need to adopt to life here and moan about it like everyone else. Become entitled like the rest o' us and get it in you're head that we're basically some deadbeat third world country! Embrace the moan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Is this a blog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Igotadose wrote: »
    Biggest thing Australia had over Ireland was lots of empty space, could live somewhere without too many people around or having to deal with them. Ireland's fine as a second choice .

? Over here we regard someone who wants to 'live somewhere without too many people around or having to deal with them' as an oddball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Try_harder wrote: »
    Is this a blog?

I dunno, is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Make sure to register your house for asylum seekers. They take priority over citizens for housing.

Barstool politics rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

theguzman wrote: »
    .....I no longer want to live in such regressive society.....

Where are you going?
    Probably Qatar

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Eh, OP if Ireland qualify for the world cup in 2022 can I sleep on your couch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

To those wondering about Brandenburg Airport, the latest suggestion is to knock it down and rebuild.
    Schonefeld is the biggest kip of an airport in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The psychology of it is interesting, its appeaser to be something deep in the human psyche to believe its better somewhere else, El dorado Avalon, the cities of America are paved in gold, in the media its represents by St Rose in the postman film or Elysium in the film Elysium. There are hundreds of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lets say you are paying 40% Income Tax, whatever you spend in your life is taxed at 23%, VAT, plus a whole host of all other taxes along the way of your life any savings has DIRT, then when you come to die and bequeath whatever you saved or had in property it all to whoever it will be taxed at 33%.

If over the course of your life everything was accounted for you will find the tax burden is damn well over 70% and heading towards 80%. And this is not accounting for all the other costs because of inept Governance in Ireland such as effective Double medical taxation where Private Health Insurance is necessary, Cartel Car Insurance Providers; What is happening is a total and utter disgrace.

If you manage to gather €1m over your life (realistically more) the state will get their hands on far too much of it.

Most food is exempt from VAT, certainly the core foodstuffs like dairy, meat, fish, fruit and vegetables etc. Other big household bills like gas and electricity are 13.5% VAT not 23%.

DIRT applies to the interest accrued on the savings, not the savings itself. Fair few misconceptions in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Probably Qatar

Then I take it that

You are muslim
    Do not take a drink
    are not gay
    do not intend sleeping with a woman(or allah forbid a man!)
    Ask a female for directions
    won't be kissing in public
    Won't be looking at any females in the eye
    You have no interest in sport apart from camel chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Geuze wrote: »
    I do this all the time, part of my job.

Total tax in 2017 = 68,568m

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsoctober2018/

Total income in Ireland = GDP = 294,110m

Tax as % of GDP = 23.3%, very low tax level

Now, GDP is not a good measure of Irish incomes, so we use GNI* instead = 181,182m

Tax as % of GNI* = 38%
    This adds light to the debate on here and congratulations on your brief post which is something that needs to be highlighted - Ireland is in the middle of the pack in relation to overall tax take once you take out the effect of mulitnational activity in the economy. The reason you want to do that is that multinational have sales in Ireland which raise the GDP ( national income ) level, but they have no costs so it distorts the figures, making it look like we produce all this stuff, when all we have is multinational making sales here but no expenses.

Heres my tuppence worh of reason the Irish economy is uniquely distorted, to add to everyone elses opinion:

Public Service wages here are higher than in other countries relative to the average wages. Public service workers are paid 120% of their counterparts in the private sector when you add in pensions etc. In other countries, specifically the UK, Public Servants are typically paid 80% of private sector workers. This is pre-recession stuff so the gap may be narrower now, but will probably go back to these levels once pay restoration goes through.

This creates a relatively wealthy middle class cohort who are comfortable, it leads to the stability of Irish society as a whole. These are the sons and daughters of the small farmers children. There is nothing wrong with these people, I have nothing against them.

In the UK, teachers, nurses and police and other public servants are paid a lot less relative to their counterparts in the Private Sector.

There is a social welfare class in Ireland who are the bottom 20%, and I wouldnt like to have to survive on what they try to live on. Social welfare is far better here than in the UK, and again I have no problem with that. The UK system produces shocking poverty and deprivation, coupled with their very low social mobility leading to human set-aside on a massive scale.

I prefer to think of social welfare as a wage subsidy. Plenty of people know someone who is on Social Welfare but who does a bit of painting or handyman work on the side. They can afford to work for low daily rates because of the social welfare they receive.

50 years ago there wasn't the same option for all of this Unmarried Mothers Allowance and Deserted Wive etc because the church and society at large forced people to get married to co-habitate, and forced them to stay together, whether they liked it or not. And who would want to go back to that??

Anyway I'm relatively happy for this state of affiars to continue, I think most public servants are decent people who deserve good wages, and decent conditions and we should not turn Ireland in to a minimum wage economy to suit large multinationals. People that live here spend their money in Ireland thereby generating activity in the economy and paying their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mariaalice wrote: »
    The psychology of it is interesting, its appeaser to be something deep in the human psyche to believe its better somewhere else, El dorado Avalon, the cities of America are paved in gold, in the media its represents by St Rose in the postman film or Elysium in the film Elysium. There are hundreds of examples.

I'm originally from Australia, so in my case I have lived elsewhere so my knowledge base and frames of reference are pretty deep. It's not a case of imagining a difference that doesn't exist.

There are immense costs to living in Ireland people who haven't lived elsewhere probably don't even think to consider.

Heating. Ireland's average annual temperature is 10°C. That means if you want to live at a more comfortable 20°C you are going to pay through the nose for that luxury. Average anual temperature in Sydney is around 20°C i belive, so you are saving a lot there if you have a large stand alone house in Ireland.

Legal mess: Ireland's so called legal system is dysfunctional and I suspect that is deliberate. If you want to buy or sell a house here you have to get a lawyer and it costs around 6 times as much as just getting conveyancer in Australia.
    Same goes for anything else legal. In Australia you can DIY your own divorce, here it's a living and costly nightmare. I once asked a lawyer here why it was such a mess, and his typically cute reply was to blame the British as the system was inherited from them. Funny thing is, Australia also inherited the same system and the Queen is still! the head of state, yet they managed to repair the mess.

The government here is very 'cute' about imposing living costs - like the legal mess - on people to subsidise businesses. The requirement for a BER certificate is a classic. There is no free option for a home owner to declare the lowest BER rating voluntarily, you still have to pay for that.

Another cute would be needing to pay to get a surveyor in on just about every single property transaction to make sure the boundaries are properly defined - WTF?

Want to avail of the solar panel subsidy? Well you can forget about saving some money with a bit of DIY as the grant only goes to registered installers.

I don't have direct experience with the insulation grant but I'll bet that is the same.

Then there's the NCT, a nice little earner that one. Toll roads like the M50 which was paid off donkeys ago.

Car insurance in this country is a mess and a scam.

Seemingly every facet of life in this country has costs deliberately engineered in as either taxes or to guarantee work to someone.

I notice this stuff because i have lived somewhere where it doesn't happen, it's not a trick of the psyche.

Did you know that in Australia, if you need to get an accountant to do your tax return, that's a legitimate tax deduction. You will even be allowed to take into account inflation when computing capital gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm originally from Australia, so in my case I have lived elsewhere so my knowledge base and frames of reference are pretty deep. It's not a case of imagining a difference that doesn't exist.

There are immense costs to living in Ireland people who haven't lived elsewhere probably don't even think to consider.

Heating. Ireland's average annual temperature is 10°C. That means if you want to live at a more comfortable 20°C you are going to pay through the nose for that luxury. Average anual temperature in Sydney is around 20°C i belive, so you are saving a lot there if you have a large stand alone house in Ireland.

Legal mess: Ireland's so called legal system is dysfunctional and I suspect that is deliberate. If you want to buy or sell a house here you have to get a lawyer and it costs around 6 times as much as just getting conveyancer in Australia.
    Same goes for anything else legal. In Australia you can DIY your own divorce, here it's a living and costly nightmare. I once asked a lawyer here why it was such a mess, and his typically cute reply was to blame the British as the system was inherited from them. Funny thing is, Australia also inherited the same system and the Queen is still! the head of state, yet they managed to repair the mess.

The government here is very 'cute' about imposing living costs - like the legal mess - on people to subsidise businesses. The requirement for a BER certificate is a classic. There is no free option for a home owner to declare the lowest BER rating voluntarily, you still have to pay for that.

Another cute would be needing to pay to get a surveyor in on just about every single property transaction to make sure the boundaries are properly defined - WTF?

Want to avail of the solar panel subsidy? Well you can forget about saving some money with a bit of DIY as the grant only goes to registered installers.

I don't have direct experience with the insulation grant but I'll bet that is the same.

Then there's the NCT, a nice little earner that one. Toll roads like the M50 which was paid off donkeys ago.

Seemingly every facet of life in this country has costs deliberately engineered in as either taxes or to guarantee work to someone.

I notice this stuff because i have lived somewhere where it doesn't happen, it's not a trick of the psyche.

Did you know that in Australia, if you need to get an accountant to do your tax return, that's a legitimate tax deduction. You will even be allowed to take into account inflation when computing capital gains.

I am not saying Ireland is perfect its far from, that was not my point. I would look at the uk and the genuinely free first and second level education and the NHS and wonder why we cant do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There are immense costs to living in Ireland people who haven't lived elsewhere probably don't even think to consider....

H.

Australia is by no means cheap. Cost of living below shows things are about the same.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/dublin/sydney?

Other stuff you point out are one off and not really something you would emigrate over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Then I take it that

You are muslim
    Do not take a drink
    are not gay
    do not intend sleeping with a woman(or allah forbid a man!)
    Ask a female for directions
    won't be kissing in public
    Won't be looking at any females in the eye
    You have no interest in sport apart from camel chasing.

You really must have no idea about the middle east and quite frankly I find it very condescending. Qatar and Dubai are not Saudi Arabia, even Saudi Arabia is liberalising now due to economic pressure and Oil is declining in economic importance there, westerners are now able to travel to Saudi Arabia as Tourists for the first time, and it a country I will certainly be travelling to also.

Most things can be done in these countries, the key is discretion and showing respect to the host nation. I can 100% guarantee you there is plenty homosexuality through the middle-east and the repressive nature of Islam actually encourages it and there would a higher percentage of Homosexuals there than this country. Alcohol can be consumed in Qatar and UAE, extra-Martial relations and sex outside of marriage is widely practised. If a person is ever in Thailand you will Arabic men are a huge proportion of the clientele of Transgender Ladyboy prostitutes.

White Western Men are held in high regard and a blind eye turned to alot of things, out of sight out of mind, what is not tolerated is the typical Irish loutish behaviour of acting like a total eejit blind drunk and then thinking everyone else is wrong except himself and thinking his sh1t don't stink. Both countries are very safe and the people are wealthy and respectful, most of the image people have of headchoppers and madrasses is attributable to the disgraceful and misogynistic culture from Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

You really must have no idea about the middle east and quite frankly I find it very condescending. Qatar and Dubai are not Saudi Arabia, even Saudi Arabia is liberalising now due to economic pressure and Oil is declining in economic importance there, westerners are now able to travel to Saudi Arabia as Tourists for the first time, and it a country I will certainly be travelling to also.

Most things can be done in these countries, the key is discretion and showing respect to the host nation. I can 100% guarantee you there is plenty homosexuality through the middle-east and the repressive nature of Islam actually encourages it and there would a higher percentage of Homosexuals there than this country. Alcohol can be consumed in Qatar and UAE, extra-Martial relations and sex outside of marriage is widely practised. If a person is ever in Thailand you will Arabic men are a huge proportion of the clientele of Transgender Ladyboy prostitutes.

White Western Men are held in high regard and a blind eye turned to alot of things, out of sight out of mind, what is not tolerated is the typical Irish loutish behaviour of acting like a total eejit blind drunk and then thinking everyone else is wrong except himself and thinking his sh1t don't stink. Both countries are very safe and the people are wealthy and respectful, most of the image people have of headchoppers and madrasses is attributable to the disgraceful and misogynistic culture from Pakistan.

I've lived in Saudi until recently and can assure you that it is not liberalising nor will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I've lived in Saudi until recently and can assure you that it is not liberalising nor will ever be.

Women are now allowed to drive albeit with restrictions, Cinemas are allowed again and Westerners are being welcomed into the country. Don't expect Gay Marriage or Transgender bathrooms anytime soon however but it seems like progress to me. MBS knows that they can only pump so much from the Ghawar field and the days of Ras Tanura holding sway over the world are finishing. The Permian basin in the US has changed the Oil industry and Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil is set to bring massive new Oil projects online with huge off shore reserves and drilling deep in the Amazon basin.

Saudi Arabia can't control the market like it used to and have to take whatever price they get for their oil now, they are running huge deficits and even Trumps attempt to get Iranian oil off the market failed as the Chinese and Indians are now importing it bypassing SWIFT and paying in Gold and Yuan instead giving them a discount and this has cost Saudis Market share also as Chindia can buy Iranian oil at a discount instead of Saudi oil wheras that Iranian oil would have been destined for Rotterdam before.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭hello2020

well written.. i have lived in USA for 5 years and feels the same.
    cost is too high for most of the day to day needs due to in built high taxes
    quality of life is way lower than what u pay for..
    wages r low and taxes r high..
    eating out is so expensive and lacks quality (may be due to high rents n taxes)
    car insurance n car ownership is like a luxury...most of the people can not afford to buy nice, new cars or SUVs

i think many of these issues r related to Ireland having small population (low tax base), lack of natural resources and politicians wanting to pay welfare like an oil rich country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In other words you wouldn't have minded living in 1950s Ireland. :rolleyes:

I always marvel how some people, and we hear this argument all the time when discussing islamic Middle Eastern nations' cultures and freedoms, play it that these nations aren't that bad at all and sure they have lots of homosexuality, pre marital sex, drinking, etc whilst at the same time mentioning how it is all very discrete and behind closed doors.

That is Ireland in the 30s, 40, 50s or even up to 80s.

And the fact you can say with a straight face that Saudi Arabia is liberalising at the same time as they are butchering their journalists in foreign countries and engaging in wholesale slaughter next door.

FFS you then lambast the "disgraceful and misogynistic culture from Pakistan."

BTW the total eejit isn't the guy stumbling around blind drunk, it is ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Women are now allowed to drive albeit with restrictions, Cinemas are allowed again and Westerners are being welcomed into the country.

Where were you to preach all this to the woman who was butchered in chop chop square a few days prior to when I left. She would've been glad to know that she can drive now!

Also, I don't need to know who controls the oil. I work in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here's another deliberate imposed cost - Irish plumbing. The pipe size is fractionally different so as to make it incompatible with UK plumbing pipes and fittings. Why did they stop there - why not change the spacing on the prongs on electrical plugs and sockets to make those incompatible with the UK, while you are at it? That would have been another good little earner for may.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Here's another deliberate imposed cost - Irish plumbing. The pipe size is fractionally different so as to make it incompatible with UK plumbing pipes and fittings. Why did they stop there - why not change the spacing on the prongs on electrical plugs and sockets to make those incompatible with the UK, while you are at it? That would have been another good little earner for may.

I think that's more of a holdover from the imperial / metric system of measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

hello2020 wrote: »
    well written.. i have lived in USA for 5 years and feels the same.
    cost is too high for most of the day to day needs due to in built high taxes
    quality of life is way lower than what u pay for..
    wages r low and taxes r high..
    eating out is so expensive and lacks quality (may be due to high rents n taxes)
    car insurance n car ownership is like a luxury...most of the people can not afford to buy nice, new cars or SUVs

i think many of these issues r related to Ireland having small population (low tax base), lack of natural resources and politicians wanting to pay welfare like an oil rich country.

Good post except its not lack, its that FF sold them all off on the cheap:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

At the end of the day you'll find faults with every country. The Nordics have some of the highest rates of anti-depressant use and alcoholism in the world. In the US, unless you're born into a decent family you're absolutely screwed. Healthcare is a bigger shambles than here, the wealth divide is much, much greater. Spain has massive youth unemployment and salaries are crap. Germany and Benelux people are a bit boring if we're being honest. France is having lots of problems. The UK is a **** show right now and the list goes on. BUT if you're born into any of these countries (including Ireland, most western European countries, Australia etc.), you don't have it too bad at all. When comparing countries (in this case Ireland to other countries) we pick out the bad parts of Ireland and compare only to the good parts of the other country.

We're lucky that we have the choice to easily emigrate to other places, and I think everyone should at least spend some time living and working somewhere else. You then realise that everywhere has good and bad sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 uptothetop

You could go North.

North Sentinel Island

No tax there whatsoever and an idyllic unspoiled environment.

That's the joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

OEP wrote: »
    We're lucky that we have the choice to easily emigrate to other places, and I think everyone should at least spend some time living and working somewhere else. You then realise that everywhere has good and bad sides.

+1

but also thinking that ppl who are considering emigrating from a place like Ireland to good few countries in Middle East (when they have no ties to the region) would have different core values than I do ...

Advertisement