Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ need to up their forecasting presentation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

boardise wrote: »
    They plonk a temperature figure in the middle of the map which is connected to nothing specific and therefore totally meaningless

I never understand when they say its going to rain tomorrow then show sunshine and cloud in the graphic at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

zell12 wrote: »
    I can barely understand this Donegal speech, had to listen a few times, at least he speaks slowly. Imagine if RTE1 weather presenters had such a seriously strong regional diction!
    https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1326963740806406144?s=20

Funny, I can easily understand every word of that while I need to read subtitles a lot of the time for the Dublin/Galway Irish that RTE always use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Since when did weather forecast presenting turn into a Lovely Girl Festival?

A friend of mine left for America 12 years ago. He misses the tg4 weather

So at least 12 years is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Since when did weather forecast presenting turn into a Lovely Girl Festival?

Have you ever seen the Spanish forecasters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have you ever seen the Spanish forecasters :)

You mean Mexican?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The main issue is their terrible and frequently inconsistent graphics - yesterday was a case in point. For Friday it was sun from behind the cloud symbols but on the 5 day summary graphic it was rain clouds. This is typical of them unfortunately.

the graphics are terrible in general, even when they are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann should just scrap their RTE gig, much like the UK Met Office has done with the BBC over in the UK, and run their own forecasting channel on YouTube or something similar (even on their own website) I rarely watch the RTE weather these days, because, despite being tax payer and license payer funded, we are still infested with advertisements on both sides of the forecast, that itself is 'sponsored'. If I pay a NetFlix or YouTube subscription, I do so in order to not have advertisements that take up more time than the actual content, spewed out at me and insulting what little intelligence I may have. Yet with RTE, we pay heavily, and they still infest us with these ads. These cretins are just raking it in from all sides, but I guess the obscenely high salaries of their highly overrated and overvalued D4 'presenters' must be maintained.

The UK Met forecast on YouTube contains far superior, and easier to read maps and graphics that those on the BBC now, which have gone seriously downhill since the UKMO pulled out. Met Eireann could easily do the same. Ad free, not limited by time constraints given to them by RTE producers, lest they might lose valuable ad revenue, and the freedom to present in a fashion that is worthy of them.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

UK met only has 100k subscribers which surprised me, though many more will have it bookmarked no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann should just scrap their RTE gig, much like the UK Met Office has done with the BBC over in the UK, and run their own forecasting channel on YouTube or something similar (even on their own website) I rarely watch the RTE weather these days, because, despite being tax payer and license payer funded, we are still infested with advertisements on both sides of the forecast, that itself is 'sponsored'. If I pay a NetFlix or YouTube subscription, I do so in order to not have advertisements that take up more time than the actual content, spewed out at me and insulting what little intelligence I may have. Yet with RTE, we pay heavily, and they still infest us with these ads. These cretins are just raking it in from all sides, but I guess the obscenely high salaries of their highly overrated and overvalued D4 'presenters' must be maintained.

The UK Met forecast on YouTube contains far superior, and easier to read maps and graphics that those on the BBC now, which have gone seriously downhill since the UKMO pulled out. Met Eireann could easily do the same. Ad free, not limited by time constraints given to them by RTE producers, lest they might lose valuable ad revenue, and the freedom to present in a fashion that is worthy of them.

I can't stand that Avonmore ad that's on at the moment, with your one chomping on cereal and they cut it right at a frame where she's making the worst-looking face.

I have a full Sky subscription, yet I have to put up with frequent ads during the golf, football and F1. I'm not against the dual funding model, though I do agree that a big revamp is needed in the weather bulletins (starting with teaching some of them presentation techniques, like not swallowing mid-sentence).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

Never thought I'd live to see the day where people are getting bent out of shape over ME's weather forcasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The UKMO one is far superior, don't even need the sound up to know what is being forecast. pretty must the same format every day.
    Looking at their forecast tonight it shows Waterford in for a wet day yet Met.ie is 11am to 3 pm with Monday will be mostly cloudy with rain becoming widespread during the morning, accompanied by moderate to fresh southwesterly winds. Maximum temperatures of 13 to 15 degrees. Some dry spells may develop inland later, but many areas will remain overcast and misty, with further rain and drizzle. Hill and coastal fog also.

Met.ie were a hell of a lot better back in the 80's and 90's, even the graphics was better than today. From what i see of the forecasts here is that they all seem to have their own templates and present their way. There is no consistency and seems very amateurish sometimes. Would love to see another profession service start forecasting here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spookwoman wrote: »
    The UKMO one is far superior, don't even need the sound up to know what is being forecast. pretty must the same format every day.
    Looking at their forecast tonight it shows Waterford in for a wet day yet Met.ie is 11am to 3 pm with Monday will be mostly cloudy with rain becoming widespread during the morning, accompanied by moderate to fresh southwesterly winds. Maximum temperatures of 13 to 15 degrees. Some dry spells may develop inland later, but many areas will remain overcast and misty, with further rain and drizzle. Hill and coastal fog also.

Met.ie were a hell of a lot better back in the 80's and 90's, even the graphics was better than today. From what i see of the forecasts here is that they all seem to have their own templates and present their way. There is no consistency and seems very amateurish sometimes. Would love to see another profession service start forecasting here in Ireland.

Wrong as there was no Met.ie in the 80s or 90s. So there.:)

Either way, the graphics are better today.

In the 80's they had a guy standing beside a map with a pointy stick.

Video above shows it. From 1985. Weather starts around 5:10. Before that Anne Doyle in her prime.

Either way, not everything is bad nowadays despite what people claim.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wrong as there was no Met.ie in the 80s or 90s. So there.:)

Either way, the graphics are better today.

In the 80's they had a guy standing beside a map with a pointy stick.

Video above shows it. From 1985. Weather starts around 5:10. Before that Anne Doyle in her prime.

Either way, not everything is bad nowadays despite what people claim.
    Met.ie Irish met service whatever you want to call it, it's the same lot.
    They may have used pointy sticks back then but you used to get a line(s) dividing the weather if one area was wet, another sunny etc. Lot of the time now it's guess weather in your area. MetUK yesterday evening was lot more accurate today for here than MET.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spookwoman wrote: »
    Met.ie Irish met service whatever you want to call it, it's the same lot.
    They may have used pointy sticks back then but you used to get a line(s) dividing the weather if one area was wet, another sunny etc. Lot of the time now it's guess weather in your area. MetUK yesterday evening was lot more accurate today for here than MET.ie.

It's Met Eireann, not that difficult.

I'm sorry but I'm not accepting that maps in 1985 are better than what Met Eireann provide now.

Nor do I use UK Met office for Irish weather.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's Met Eireann, not that difficult.

I'm sorry but I'm not accepting that maps in 1985 are better than what Met Eireann provide now.

Nor do I use UK Met office for Irish weather.

As you were saying..
    From 1994 met-service.jpg

Well I do not rely on 1 service for my weather If I did I would one very wet person if I had followed met.ie today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I find the met eireann forecasts way off the mark lately.
    Dhs they were more accurate when they were depending on some fella in a field with a bucket;)

Don't know the presenters anymore so can't comment on them. Used to like gerald fleming and the people before him. They seemed to be actual meteorologists not the tv personalities some stations have now. Feeling old*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Don't know the presenters anymore so can't comment on them. Used to like gerald fleming and the people before him. They seemed to be actual meteorologists not the tv personalities some stations have now. Feeling old*sigh*

The reality is, many scientists tend to be poor communicators, it's one of the reasons why we 're moving towards more polished presentors, but the scientific feel is slowly being lost for us weather geeks.

I find the met eireann forecasts way off the mark lately.
    Dhs they were more accurate when they were depending on some fella in a field with a bucket;)

All RTÉ1 presenters are qualified meteorologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

It's been commented on already but my two main problems are:

1. The graphics - as someone else commented the graphics almost seemed better 15 years ago than they are now. They look so poor. How is this even possible?

2. Consistency - it feels like there's a lot of personal bias in the forecasts - sometimes in the space of an hour or two a June forecast could go from "feeling mild with some sun peaking through with temperature reaching 18º or higher" to "feeling cool for mid summer, with temperatures average at best in mostly cloudy conditions'. I guess it depends if you're a glass half full person or not. But there needs to be more consistency around what constitutes cool, mild, warm and hot in each month. Similarly, one day an 18º temp on the map might be a red to convey warmth, the next day it's suddenly a yellow conveying a cooler temp - no consistency.

For me however, I've no problem with non-meteorologists presenting the weather. I find TV presenters often do a better and 'cleaner' job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

All RTÉ1 presenters are qualified meteorologists.

This is not correct. Presenters in the daytime eg. after the news at one are not qualified meteorologists. After 6 one news and 9 news are qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BBC weather isn't met office any more is it? One of the Tory "cost savings" imposed I thought.

I don't generally mind the forecasts, but they seem to cut from the projected rainfall before it runs through the following day? That's what I generally like about the BBC weather - they give you the rain/ showers for the following day so you can have some idea, and it's a flow. The RTE forecast is just the hourly blocks like you get on met.ie.

I would think some of the newer try to give the science behind it. One of those they can't win to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

compsys wrote: »
    It's been commented on already but my two main problems are:

1. The graphics - as someone else commented the graphics almost seemed better 15 years ago than they are now. They look so poor. How is this even possible?

2. Consistency - it feels like there's a lot of personal bias in the forecasts - sometimes in the space of an hour or two a June forecast could go from "feeling mild with some sun peaking through with temperature reaching 18º or higher" to "feeling cool for mid summer, with temperatures average at best in mostly cloudy conditions'. I guess it depends if you're a glass half full person or not. But there needs to be more consistency around what constitutes cool, mild, warm and hot in each month. Similarly, one day an 18º temp on the map might be a red to convey warmth, the next day it's suddenly a yellow conveying a cooler temp - no consistency.

For me however, I've no problem with non-meteorologists presenting the weather. I find TV presenters often do a better and 'cleaner' job.

There should be an agreed forecast at a given point in the day and that forecast should be scripted for that day and read out without being "enhanced" with off the cuff wording or materially changed unless there are genuine developments in the weather during the day.

I'd love to see more attention paid to the Atlantic as it's the body which dominates our weather - show the ECM for it for say 5 days so that we have a general feel for whats coming and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Macy0161 wrote:
    BBC weather isn't met office any more is it? One of the Tory "cost savings" imposed I thought.

Yea its done by a private company now, 'apparently better'!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just noticed something this morning - when RTE does repeats of The Today Show it is including weather forecasts as originally broadcast i.e. the previous day. On this occasion it was Michelle Dillon's forecast. Given that the forecasts regularly use the terms "today" and "tonight" rather than Thursday, Friday, does anyone think that this is lazy, sloppy broadcasting. ME shouldn't be allowing this in my view. And yeah, I know it is only one day later and obviously nobody is going to decide it's safe to put to sea based on happening to catch one of these forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just noticed something this morning - when RTE does repeats of The Today Show it is including weather forecasts as originally broadcast i.e. the previous day. On this occasion it was Michelle Dillon's forecast. Given that the forecasts regularly use the terms "today" and "tonight" rather than Thursday, Friday, does anyone think that this is lazy, sloppy broadcasting. ME shouldn't be allowing this in my view. And yeah, I know it is only one day later and obviously nobody is going to decide it's safe to put to sea based on happening to catch one of these forecasts.

The wording of today ,tonight is not the problem nor is the forecast it's lazy sloppy broadcasting by rte as it's a live show been reshown it should be indicated by the broadcaster as such .they should have a scroll at the bottom of the screen for the forecast saying when recorded they are able to do this if a competition was run and phone lines are now closed ect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

TG4 weather girls are so hot. :D

Does your wife ever catch you watching the TG4 weather when a girl is presenting knowing (a) you have very poor Irish and (b) you saw the weather on RTE earlier?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ZX7R wrote: »
    The wording of today ,tonight is not the problem nor is the forecast it's lazy sloppy broadcasting by rte as it's a live show been reshown it should be indicated by the broadcaster as such .they should have a scroll at the bottom of the screen for the forecast saying when recorded they are able to do this if a competition was run and phone lines are now closed ect
    Just looked at this again, there is a static watermark/graphic on the top left of the screen that says Replay - Lines Closed. It is much too subtle and in addition, during the weather, it is mostly obscured by a RTE Weather logo. Meanwhile we have Gerry Murphy talking about how foggy it will be "tonight".

We know that RTE does sloppy work but I'd still question why ME allow themselves to be associated with this and why they don't insist on changes. Surely the forecast could be edited out entirely. Maybe doing this (and editing out the associated weather related chit chat) is beyond RTE in 2020. Lazy, sloppy broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

New weather girl tonight, RTE weather @9.30pm.

"Hi there and Goodnight" is her greeting :confused:

Normally speaking they would say 'goodnight' at the end of the broadcast, really weird hearing this as the greeting.

Goodnight is not a greeting, it's a parting gift.

New weather girl tonight, RTE weather @9.30pm.

"Hi there and Goodnight" is her greeting :confused:

Normally speaking they would say 'goodnight' at the end of the broadcast, really weird hearing this as the greeting.

Goodnight is not a greeting, it's a parting gift.

She's been on for a few months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Caught her for the first time tonight, quite good I thought, just a shame about the Goodnight (as a greeting) :cool:

Advertisement