Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

DopeTech wrote: »
    And were you holidaying in turkey when you signed back up or are you paying irish prices now?
    Still Turkish money. Last payment came off 5 September
    41.99 Turkish lira

• Registered Users Posts: 46 carazeb

Can anyone recommend which country & which vpn would be worth trying at the moment, and preferably without the need for a local mobile number (although I can order a sim if necessary)? I wouldn't use the vpn for anything else so don't want to spend too much on it if poss.

I've paid 1 month of my Irish Netflix with my revolut (via curve) & intend to cancel before this month's payment comes out then restart same account via another country. Is this the right way to do it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There’s an faq in the first post with all the info

To be fair, the FAQ is pretty rubbish at this point.

Steps I followed ages ago:
    1. Sign up for Netflix in Ireland.
    2. Add your preferred card (Revolut or Curve if possible for better exchange rates)
    3. Add your telephone number
    4. Cancel subscription and leave it expire
    5. Once expired, use a VPN or change your exit hosts in Tor browser to login from Turkey (which is still, I think, the cheapest)
    6. Try to sign up. Enter your pre-existing login details and it should offer you the 3 tiers priced in Turkish Lira (or whichever local currency applies).
    7. Pick the tier you want and subscribe.
    8. The payment should process no issues, and you can then disconnect from your VPN - you won't need it again.
    9. The price paid monthly will obviously vary each month due to the fluctuations in exchange rates, but should be much cheaper.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ooter

So you only need a vpn to set up a turkish netflix subscription/payment, can anyone recommend a good vpn that offers a free trial?

Thanks Dulpit & Omega that's very helpful.

Also just wondering, when using my revolut through curve, do I need to have the correct currency in the revolut, or will it be ok just to leave euro in the account which I presume would then be converted at the relevant exchange rate each month?

• Advertisement

carazeb wrote: »
    Thanks Dulpit & Omega that's very helpful.

Also just wondering, when using my revolut through curve, do I need to have the correct currency in the revolut, or will it be ok just to leave euro in the account which I presume would then be converted at the relevant exchange rate each month?

If you have a balance of a particular currency, then revolut will use that. If not, it will just take from your main account (Euro, if you're in Ireland) and convert at the point of sale.

If there is ever a dip in the exchange rates you can save a small amount by buying a bunch of Lira...

ooter wrote: »
    So you only need a vpn to set up a turkish netflix subscription/payment, can anyone recommend a good vpn that offers a free trial?

I didn't use a VPN, I used exitNodes on Tor. Not sure if it still works, but you can try: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110498236&postcount=1963

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭christy c

ooter wrote: »

I used Speedify app on phone. Signed up then deleted the app

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I’m currently On Turkish Netflix . I need to change credit card details on my account . Does anyone know of this will cause issues ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Daz_ wrote: »
    I’m currently On Turkish Netflix . I need to change credit card details on my account . Does anyone know of this will cause issues ? Thanks

It may or may not. Plenty have changed without an issue. I wasn't so lucky though. Had to cancel my bank card recently, after I tried updating Netflix and it wouldn't accept any of about 6 cards from me and other family members with or without vpn. Support were no help so I had to sign up for a brand new account. Even then my card wasn't accepted but my wife's one was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

My Revolut card expires in 2024...here's hoping for 4 years of cheap Netflix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Danmj

Pacifico wrote: »
    My Revolut card expires in 2024...here's hoping for 4 years of cheap Netflix :D

Did you have any trouble with Netflix accepting revolut, I have old account and tried to get Turkey version but wont accept revolut card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Danmj wrote: »
    Did you have any trouble with Netflix accepting revolut, I have old account and tried to get Turkey version but wont accept revolut card

Glance back at a few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Danmj

mad m wrote: »
    Glance back at a few pages

Got onto chat and asked them to reset payment details account but was told they cant do that told me to try again after 22hrs will have to wait for different Netflix support person will try again tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Nope but I set this up nearly 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭paska

Daz_ wrote: »

I am using revolut and changed on the Sept 10th to a new revolut card and all is OK for now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dulpit wrote:
    Steps I followed ages ago: Sign up for Netflix in Ireland. Add your preferred card (Revolut or Curve if possible for better exchange rates) Add your telephone number Cancel subscription and leave it expire Once expired, use a VPN or change your exit hosts in Tor browser to login from Turkey (which is still, I think, the cheapest) Try to sign up. Enter your pre-existing login details and it should offer you the 3 tiers priced in Turkish Lira (or whichever local currency applies). Pick the tier you want and subscribe. The payment should process no issues, and you can then disconnect from your VPN - you won't need it again. The price paid monthly will obviously vary each month due to the fluctuations in exchange rates, but should be much cheaper. Hope this helps!

They now require that you have a local phone number. They send a code to this number & you need to to continue with the new country. At least this was the case for me for Mexico.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Revolut. Bought a mexican sim on Amazon and I was able to verify with a mexican number. Not as easy as before but still possible

Would you remember which sim card you got by any chance, and did you need to get a pre-paid one? I've a few days before my Netflix expires so I was thinking I might order a sim in case a mobile number will be required. Many of the Mexican sims I looked at on amazon didn't look like they would work outside of mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Why Mexico?
    Is Turkey not working anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

carazeb wrote:
    Would you remember which sim card you got by any chance, and did you need to get a pre-paid one? I've a few days before my Netflix expires so I was thinking I might order a sim in case a mobile number will be required. Many of the Mexican sims I looked at on amazon didn't look like they would work outside of mexico.

frash wrote:
    Why Mexico? Is Turkey not working anymore?

Frash got in before me. When my Mexican money runs out I'll be looking at Turkey unless currency rates change. I'm not sure how difficult it is to source a Turkish SIM card from Ireland though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Got onto chat and asked them to reset payment details account but was told they cant do that told me to try again after 22hrs will have to wait for different Netflix support person will try again tomorrow

Same happened to me, went on chat early one morning and got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Are you asked for a phone number for Turkey now too??
    Mine is due to expire on Saturday (I couldn't get it to take a card last month so had to pay full again but now I have a Curve ready to try).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Same here. Waited the 24hrs and got back onto them on chat. Still no joy though. Blamed the bank and told me to buy a gift card instead or somehow pay though vodafone. Not sure how to get Turkish Netflix now. Should I have clicked "Reset my payment details" when setting you the chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

Similar situation to most on here, but got everything sorted via live chat support.

My wifes revolut card had a dodgy transaction, so card was cancelled. I forgot all about the Netflix subscription (paid in Turkish Liras) which was being deducted from her card each month. So the Netflix payment failed last week and the service stopped. I jumped onto my Turkey via VPN and tried to switch over to my revolut card, but no joy. Also tried switching to KBC and Ulster bank debit cards but again no joy. Then I turned off VPN and tried all cards again, but still no luck.

Then I tried the live chat and told them I was having issues trying to pay.
    She asked what country I was in...I said Turkey.
    She asked if I was using a VPN...I said No...I was of course logged into the chat session via VPN to turkey.
    Then up popped a form, I banged in my revolut details and payment goes through straight away in Turkish Liras!

Did I just get lucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Think she knew my credit card was not from Turkey. She told me to go to Turkey and try it from there!
    Anyone get an Irish credit card to work through the chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Zapy wrote: »
    Similar situation to most on here, but got everything sorted via live chat support.

My wifes revolut card had a dodgy transaction, so card was cancelled. I forgot all about the Netflix subscription (paid in Turkish Liras) which was being deducted from her card each month. So the Netflix payment failed last week and the service stopped. I jumped onto my Turkey via VPN and tried to switch over to my revolut card, but no joy. Also tried switching to KBC and Ulster bank debit cards but again no joy. Then I turned off VPN and tried all cards again, but still no luck.

Then I tried the live chat and told them I was having issues trying to pay.
    She asked what country I was in...I said Turkey.
    She asked if I was using a VPN...I said No...I was of course logged into the chat session via VPN to turkey.
    Then up popped a form, I banged in my revolut details and payment goes through straight away in Turkish Liras!

Did I just get lucky??

Seems like you did! I had the exact same scenario, contacted support chat and they told me it was just a "generic decline" and they didn't know why it was happening. Nothing they could do, they said!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

Standman wrote: »
    Seems like you did! I had the exact same scenario, contacted support chat and they told me it was just a "generic decline" and they didn't know why it was happening. Nothing they could do, they said!

That's strange as I was also told it's a 'generic decline', but they went ahead and popped up the payment form within chat which allowed the revolut payment to go through.

Not sure what to make of it, but it does show that it's possible to switch to a different revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Just got an email from Netflix saying that Argentina has now introduced a tax on Netflix of 35%. It says I will now see this on my card asa separate payment.

Think I’ll cancel and checkout where is cheaper now. Anyone more current cheapest alternative country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

jarvis wrote: »
    Just got an email from Netflix saying that Argentina has now introduced a tax on Netflix of 35%. It says I will now see this on my card asa separate payment.

Think I’ll cancel and checkout where is cheaper now. Anyone more current cheapest alternative country?

Same here. Was considering it anyway after the Cuties debacle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

gussieg wrote: »
    Same here. Was considering it anyway after the Cuties debacle

You seem to be taking a more moral stance. I’m just looking for a cheaper subscription.

Advertisement