Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment complex stops allowing guests

Options
  • 29-06-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

When I signed my contract over a year ago, day guests and even overnight guests have been allowed since day one. The policy available on the website even still states overnight guests are allowed providing they show their ID before entering.

But during the pandemic we were told that we could not have guests and we all complied because that was the official government guideline. Now these restrictions on home visitors have been remove by the government, however the apartment management still will not allow guests.

I'm a student with not much letting experience, so I'm not really sure what my options are here? I thought if when I sign the contract and the property agreed that guests are allowed they cannot break this without them updating the policy and I agreeing to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it student specific accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 accQuestion

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is it student specific accommodation?

Hey,

Yes this is student accommodation with self contained apartments with private bathroom etc

From my research I believe that since July 2019 student accommodation is under the remit of the RTB, does this give us more rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Have you checked the contract or lease you signed? Does it explicitly mention guests? The policy on the website would probably be superceded by this.

This website mentions tenants (and now, student renters) have the right to guests unless stated otherwise in their lease. Being moved to under the remit of the RTB also means you can appeal to them for dispute resolution, although you would probably have to show you have attempted to resolve this yourself. Have you discussed this with the building management or just asked are guests allowed yes/no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 accQuestion

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Have you checked the contract or lease you signed? Does it explicitly mention guests? The policy on the website would probably be superceded by this.

mentions tenants (and now, student renters) have the right to guests unless stated otherwise in their lease. Being moved to under the remit of the RTB also means you can appeal to them for dispute resolution, although you would probably have to show you have attempted to resolve this yourself. Have you discussed this with the building management or just asked are guests allowed yes/no?

I had the good read of the agreement and it doesn't mention anything about day guests. But it does mention overnight guests.

The gist of what it says is that overnight guests are allowed once the licencee has the guest sign in at the reception and has licencors consent for guest to stay in the apartment overnight and it mentions that such consent will not be upheld or delayed provided no overcrowding occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

I guess I have no expertise to comb through the contract's phrasing with you, although I would say the next step is talk through management's reasoning with them and get an idea of their motivations and expected timeframe of the restrictions. Very probably they are trying their best to look out for their tenants (a truly indifferent management company would probably do the legal minimum), so I would maybe be a bit forgiving on that side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement