Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a woman travelling South America

• 01-03-2018 5:36pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a solo female traveller and blogger who is currently travelling around South America after 9 years living in New Zealand and a couple years before that in Europe.

One year travelling. No Spanish. One woman. Cultural differences galore no doubt!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is your planned route through South America - anywhere especially added to your route or that you are purposefully avoiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

is Argentina culture/designs etc really as European as there made out to be ??

any other SA country's share almost identical Euro cultures ??

• Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

Hi everyone,
    Super excited to do this AMA, I am an avid AMA follower!
    Currently in glorious Colombian sunshine, I shall send you some to thaw you all out ;)

• Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

What is your planned route through South America - anywhere especially added to your route or that you are purposefully avoiding?

Hey!
    Thanks for your question :)
    I flew to Buenos Aires on July 14 and had a loose itinerary planned but have changed my plans quite a bit!
    Initially I wanted to travel Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Cuba ....

But!
    I cut Chile and Paraguay instantly due to $$ and weather. I went from Argentina through Uruguay to Brazil and then back to Argentina.

I only have a bit over 3m left and I am STILL in Colombia, I have discovered I travel incredibly slowly. Which I love! So I don't think I will see all I want but I am okay with that. It has been amazing!

As safety is a concern I will also cut Venezuela and I am not sure if I will even get to Mexico, let alone Cuba! Aside from that it has been pretty close to my plan :)

Sorry for the long answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Has the snow arrived there yet?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    is Argentina culture/designs etc really as European as there made out to be ??

any other SA country's share almost identical Euro cultures ??

Thank you for your question! :)

Mmm... who ever called Buenos Aires the Paris of the South needs glasses ;) I didn't love Argentina and left after 10 days, instead of my planned month so I didn't see it all, but nor did I feel any European charm or warmth from any city I visited.

Buenos Aires certainly has pockets of beauty, but it has nothing on Paris.

I found Uruguay so much more European, Montevideo is a perfect example! Miraflores, Lima in Peru is as Western as any city in Europe... but with more gated communities. Most capital cities have a Western pocket for sure, you could be in any city in the world.

Paraty in Brazil is magic... almost identical to any Portuguese pueblo! Peru is incredibly colonial and Spanish influence is everywhere.

It's funny how certain countries struggle with identities- Ecuador is fresh in my mind. Sierras (mountains) are incredibly Peruvian, beaches are Colombian.

endacl wrote: »
    Has the snow arrived there yet?

Nope ðŸ˜
    It's a comfortable 23 degrees.
    Want me to send bread?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How many people have you slept with on your travels?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Have you rode many local men on your travels?

mada82 wrote: »
    Have you rode many local men on your travels?

Escalated quickly haha! I may have dabbled.

Being a curly ginger in SA is the equivilant to being Shakira in Europe. The attention is insane.

However, I will say this. Everybody on this planet must take a Latino lover at least once. It will change your life.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How many people have you slept with on your travels?

See above ;)

Hey, how old are you?
    And I wonder do you think age matters as a solo woman traveller?
    I have done a little bit, but I'm much more confident & feel much more secure now that I'm a bit older.

Being a curly ginger in SA is the equivilant to being Shakira in Europe. The attention is insane.

However, I will say this. Everybody on this planet must take a Latino lover at least once. It will change your life.

Can you give us numbers? I was with a Latino girl once...my god!!!

Can you give us numbers? I was with a Latino girl once...my god!!!

Unreal huh? The passion... The. Passion.

My numbers are healthy - I skipped Bolivia.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hey, how old are you?
    And I wonder do you think age matters as a solo woman traveller?
    I have done a little bit, but I'm much more confident & feel much more secure now that I'm a bit older.
    Thabk you for your question!

I turned 32 the day I departed NZ.

Age is a funny thing. Locals are confused by me, I should be married by now with plenty of kids. Latino women don't usually travel, especially at 32 so most cannot relate to me and I get judged a lot.

With regards to other travellers, it has pros and cons. I've met a lot of solo women my age and I bonded with lots of 21, 22 year olds. It depends entirely on the person.

From a personal perspective, I am slightly more cautious and can see danger easier. But I also know myself better and thus travel the way I want- no excuses. Nor do I give people or places time if I don't enjoy it/ myself.

It has been tough getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. Hostels and backpacking at 32 is f#n hard at times!

The passion indeed...I've found it quite hard to enjoy sex with Irish girls since!
    <snip>

The passion indeed...I've found it quite hard to enjoy sex with Irish girls since!

So do you plan on having a family?

I do ... I am unsure when or how it will fit in my life tho. I am falling in love with Colombia and may come back.

You just havent found the right Irish girl then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Given your rapid plan changes, where do you stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Planning on traveling to Colombia on at the start of July and then up towards central America. Only have two weeks so will only probably see two countries

Given your rapid plan changes, where do you stay?

Backpackers and hostels. I usually book online within a couple of hours of arrival but sometimes I wonder around the city looking for accom.

I have also been lucky enough to meet incredible locals who have offered beds in their homes to me in Brazil and in Colombia. They have been my favourites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Safety wise, how goes it?

Any experiences you can share that you've had with other people? creatures? security in hostels?

rounders wrote: »
    Planning on traveling to Colombia on at the start of July and then up towards central America. Only have two weeks so will only probably see two countries

Hey!
    Don't know if you are looking for advice but, 2 weeks is not enough for 1 country ... definitely not enough for 2. I would stick with Colombia, even at that you won't see a lot in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Hey!
    Don't know if you are looking for advice but, 2 weeks is not enough for 1 country ... definitely not enough for 2. I would stick with Colombia, even at that you won't see a lot in 2 weeks.

Sorry I got side tracked by the TV while typing that :D There was meant to be a question in there

You kinda answered my question though. Where would you recommend in Colombia?

Safety wise, how goes it?

Any experiences you can share that you've had with other people? creatures? security in hostels?

Safety thankfully has not been a serious issue for me, but I have heard horror stories. Yesterday 2 guys in ny room were held up by machete and robbed blind.

A dorm mate in Bolivia was sexually assaulted at knife point.

I have been flashed at SO many times.
    A man followed me on a beach in Brazil jacking off behind me.

Bolivian immigration guards bribed me.
    Yesterday a priest gave me about a foot of weed from hus marijuana plant.

Hostel security is fine... usually. But a volunteer in a hostel I stayed at in Ecuador robbed the volunteer room, stole 6 peoles backpacks and broke all lockers open whilst the volunteers were out at a bar. Pretty poor behaviour

Most people are gems tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

What exactly disappointed you in Argentina? Is there large cultural differences from country to country?

rounders wrote: »
    Hey!

Sorry I got side tracked by the TV while typing that :D There was meant to be a question in there

You kinda answered my question though. Where would you recommend in Colombia?

The whole country?! Hahaha... I am 4 weeks in and still in the South!
    If you want, give me another month or so until I have explored more and I will give you a more comprehensive overview?
    PM me for my blog and I will be happy to help!

E mac wrote: »
    What exactly disappointed you in Argentina? Is there large cultural differences from country to country?

Thank you for your question :)

Disclaimer - I arrived in July, it was my first country and it was freezing with 0 travellers. So my view may be tainted.
    But.
    I have never felt so objectified.

Women would not look me in the eye.
    Men would stop what they were doing to make kissing noises or clap. It didnt matter how old they were, if they were in a group or solo, a suit or a construction worker.

Nor did it matter what I wore or what I did, eye contact or ignore them. I sat in cafes and watched local women, got the same attention.

Worst was at an intersection. A boy racer car slowed beside me and the passenger was jeering out the window at me. The lights changed green and the car sped off but the paasenger was so far out the window shouting that he lost balance and fell out of the car.

1 Argentine woman dies by domestic voilence every 23h

Every city was the same. I couldn't connect with locals.

Countries change massively as do locals. Bolivians are harshest, Colombians and Brazilians friendliest.

Machoism is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

When you first arrive in a new place what's your favourite way to settle in and get to know the place? Do you avoid touristy spots or check them out?

murt101 wrote: »
    When you first arrive in a new place what's your favourite way to settle in and get to know the place? Do you avoid touristy spots or check them out?

I would LOVE to venture off the gringo trail more as I believe thats where the good stuff is but as a single white female it is just not safe. Male travellers have the benefit in that regard.

I hit up local coffee ahops and meet locals. They always know best. I never travel by a Lonely Planet instead go by other travellers advice. But only travellers I know I am similar to.

I avoid the irish party hostels like the PLAGUE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why South America?

What's been the toughest part so far?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement