Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbor Issues, or is it me?

• 18-06-2019 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

So I live in a 1 bed apartment with the missus, been here since 2013. It was cheap and exactly what I needed when I moved in on my own while still in College.

First 2 Years I had a Neighbor above me who was CONSTANTLY and I mean nearly every day, having Parties until literally the next day, missing days of college as a result. I did end up having a confrontation with the occupant and it did turn physical as I just lost my head with it. They stopped after that thankfully, and 2 months later they were evicted due to drug charges.

1 Year after that, a Night Club opened across the river from my Apartment, they play stupidly loud music Fri-Sun until 3am and even have DJ's out the back in the smoking area.... so there is no way to get away from the noise. I sent complaints into the council and never got any responses. Gave up on this one and just learned to live with it.

2 Years ago new neighbors moved in below me, same issues as problem neighbor 1, late, loud music until all hours, literally not stopping for days on end. I didn't go down this time to speak to them as I would end up in Jail, missus was living with me at this point and she went down as I knew the people below were no threat and a calm woman would possibly get a better response than a fuming man. They were polite but never stopped, turning the music back up as soon as the door closed. Thankfully they left after only 1 year.

Now for nightmare Neighbor 3, Music all night, loud talking on balcony right beside my bedroom at 2-9am constantly, at least 10 people in the 2 bed apartment nearly every night. I reported them to the management company already and they did nothing, told them to shut up multiple times to no avail. Tried wearing Ear plugs but they are that loud and that close to my bedroom it doesn't work.

Is there anything I can actually do about this? I love my apartment, rent is low, location is perfect, and it suits me to the ground, but my god, id love to be able to sleep. I had to buy a Large Sofa Bed, for nights when its too loud and I have work in the morning, but I miss my bed.

Am I just a light sleeper? Is it my fault? What can I do like?

Comments

All you can do is live with it or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gibgodsman wrote: »
    location is perfect

It really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Are other neighbours affected by it? Could you get together & approach the occupants & ask them nicely to keep it down?

Or as a group can you inform the Management Company or landlords (who pay their management fees) about it and ask them to do something about it?

Have you thought of calling the Gardaí for the noise pollution?

The very last thing you should do is move out

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Only in poorly built apartment blocks.

Lived in a place for years with far superior sound proofing to most 2-storey dwellings. Only snag... It was abroad.

Ireland has bit of catching up to do on the whole bit I had to respond because it is only 1 factor (being an apartment)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

You mention low apartment rent twice in your post, is the price worth the cost?

You got somewhere cheap when you were a student, you're out of college now and you are living with your partner so maybe look for somewhere that isn't in the 'student' price bracket? Your mental health will thank you.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats what you get with living in apartments. You hear everything.

Drove me nuts. I just got used to sleeping with earplugs in.

Gotta disagree with this - or maybe I've been lucky for years. Had a few issues with noise of some neighbours but worked out after I asked them to keep it down after midnight on a week night - they used to chat outside on the balcony and my bedroom was right at the corner of their balcony.
    But I know I was lucky with that one.
    However, after living for about 20 years in apartments - life was always good mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭baldbear

Move. Life's too short..You have been having this crap on and off since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So I live in a 1 bed apartment with the missus, been here since 2013. It was cheap and exactly what I needed when I moved in on my own while still in College.

First 2 Years I had a Neighbor above me who was CONSTANTLY and I mean nearly every day, having Parties until literally the next day, missing days of college as a result. I did end up having a confrontation with the occupant and it did turn physical as I just lost my head with it. They stopped after that thankfully, and 2 months later they were evicted due to drug charges.

1 Year after that, a Night Club opened across the river from my Apartment, they play stupidly loud music Fri-Sun until 3am and even have DJ's out the back in the smoking area.... so there is no way to get away from the noise. I sent complaints into the council and never got any responses. Gave up on this one and just learned to live with it.

2 Years ago new neighbors moved in below me, same issues as problem neighbor 1, late, loud music until all hours, literally not stopping for days on end. I didn't go down this time to speak to them as I would end up in Jail, missus was living with me at this point and she went down as I knew the people below were no threat and a calm woman would possibly get a better response than a fuming man. They were polite but never stopped, turning the music back up as soon as the door closed. Thankfully they left after only 1 year.

Now for nightmare Neighbor 3, Music all night, loud talking on balcony right beside my bedroom at 2-9am constantly, at least 10 people in the 2 bed apartment nearly every night. I reported them to the management company already and they did nothing, told them to shut up multiple times to no avail. Tried wearing Ear plugs but they are that loud and that close to my bedroom it doesn't work.

Is there anything I can actually do about this? I love my apartment, rent is low, location is perfect, and it suits me to the ground, but my god, id love to be able to sleep. I had to buy a Large Sofa Bed, for nights when its too loud and I have work in the morning, but I miss my bed.

Am I just a light sleeper? Is it my fault? What can I do like?

Take a third party RTB case against them

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

You can take a third party RTB case against them, particularly if they are renting. Document everything and send registered letters to the landlord. We had to do this and won the case and they were evicted. In your situation I would also be looking to move if possible. Would take the RTB case at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your choice;your life but as most here are saying? I had bad neighbours for years and after that made sure before i took a place that this would not happen.

The night club alone? You can take a case to the county court re the new noisy neighbours; there are excellent threads on this here. I have found that warning/advising was always enough

But no place is worth the damage to health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It sounds like you are living in student accommodation, or at least, in an area where many students live. Would this be accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, thats my fault, some misconceptions seem to be happening.

1) Its absolutely not student accommodation, there isn't a college for 30km.

2) The current rental market, would mean if i moved I would have to pay nearly 3x the amount I currently am, for the exact same apartment, in the same block.... mine is 575 a month, daft has had multiple 1 bed's from the same place going for 13-1500.

3) I already tried the Garda, they laughed at me and told me not to waste their time as its not their problem.

4) As for the location, it is perfect, its 5 minutes from work, 5 minutes from my Missus family and 5 minutes from a bus straight to Dublin when I wanna see mine.

5) My Neighbors have changed so much since I moved in, most keep to themselves and I very rarely have interactions with them, there was one lady below them who also complained with me when I rang the management company.

Have you raised it with your landlord who may know other owners/landlords? Landlords can help with this also - especially if you are a good tenant, not all of them want to change tenants all of the time, its less expense for them if their tenant is happy, stays put & pays their rent on time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Don't piss off your landlord.. (the last thing you want is them deciding its too much hassle and getting rid), but do hassle the **** out of management company and your neighbours landlord..
    I'd have no problem ringing their landlord at 5 am if needs be..

Get a decibel meter(even 1 on your phone) , and log the noise, get general background noise readings, and then a reading when you're woken up, and use that at the ptrb hearing..

How old are your neighbours (and their "guests"), cos if they're youngish get a mosquito device and stick it on your balcony with a timer and motion/decibel sensor... They work best on younger people though, but if it's not pleasant to be on the balcony that'll quiten it down a good bit..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Don't piss off your landlord.. (the last thing you want is them deciding its too much hassle and getting rid), but do hassle the **** out of management company and your neighbours landlord..
    I'd have no problem ringing their landlord at 5 am if needs be..

Get a decibel meter(even 1 on your phone) , and log the noise, get general background noise readings, and then a reading when you're woken up, and use that at the ptrb hearing..

How old are your neighbours (and their "guests"), cos if they're youngish get a mosquito device and stick it on your balcony with a timer and motion/decibel sensor... They work best on younger people though, but if it's not pleasant to be on the balcony that'll quiten it down a good bit..

Honestly love this advice to be fair, thanks so much mate. They are the same age as me 25, maybe a tiny bit older but not much. Typical Session heads, I don't mind the old sesh but I wouldn't do it in an Apartment block, and not one of this size. They just have no respect for their neighbors

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How are you still getting it on the cheap?

razorblunt wrote: »
    How are you still getting it on the cheap?

Landlord is sound, I have never been late with the rent, I take care of anything that needs to be done myself without having to bother him, repaired the Washing Machine, Dishwasher when they broke down myself for next to nothing without having to annoy him, I have only seen him 3 times since 2013 when I needed expensive repairs. Hes had so many bad tenants in a row I guess he is just happy with someone who pays their rent on time and doesn't annoy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

Have you tried ringing the guards? A bit extreme and chances are that they would never get to you that night but i'm sure after dark, they are supposed to at least come around and ask them to turn down the noise, it might be worth a shot? Even just to scare them

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

@OP Expensive and uncomfortable but it's what I resorted to: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones + Night Rain playlist on Spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I experienced a fair amount of this when living in apartments. It kind of comes with the territory, unfortunately.

I recommend the silicone soft earplugs rather than the foam or plastic ones. Couple That with loud white noise on your phone - it takes a bit of getting used to, but really improves your sleep. I have an 8 month old baby and a very loud toddler, and it is the only way I manage to get any sleep when their dad gets up with them in the mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

SteM wrote: »
    You mention low apartment rent twice in your post, is the price worth the cost?

You got somewhere cheap when you were a student, you're out of college now and you are living with your partner so maybe look for somewhere that isn't in the 'student' price bracket? Your mental health will thank you.

Can you really put a price on mental health? Its not until you get into that sort of trouble that you wish you could buy your way out of those problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Have you tried ringing the guards? A bit extreme and chances are that they would never get to you that night but i'm sure after dark, they are supposed to at least come around and ask them to turn down the noise, it might be worth a shot? Even just to scare them

The guards won't get involved for noise complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I was in a similar scenario myself last year, had extremely cheap rent for Dublin city centre for a one bed apartment . BUT had neighbours from hell - constant parties, sitting out the front (below my bedroom window) all night debating the meaning of life, always had friends over, playing loud music etc etc .

They were students, but didn't work or go to college by the looks of it. Literally every night of the week was some form of session.

After multiple dealings with the tenants themselves, the guards, the RTB , the landlord (when I finally got his contact details) , my landlord, other residents of the area etc I decided to move on.

Even the anxiety of getting into bed at night wondering if I would be woken up at 4am was awful.

I debated in my head for months about whether to leave or not over the rent and ultimately decided to go. I'm now paying more rent, but quality of life has skyrocketed.

My advice - move on. The cheap rent is not worth the stress this is causing you, something you don't realise until you are on the other side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

Seems like the only thing that has worked for you was getting angry and a bit physical face to face, you could try that approach again but from the sounds of it there will be someone else moving in shortly after that are up to the same ****e!
    I feel for ya man. I say go full rage mode , don't approach them when they are drunk.. wait till the hangover kicks in, in the morning and bang on the door till they answer then hit him with the full alex ferguson hairdryer treatment!
    They say violence solves nothing , but a bit of rage might soften the cough, and make you feel better at least :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you want to keep cheap rent just put up with the inconvenience. Really, it’s dirt cheap accommodation attracting people the rest of us don’t want to live beside, possibly including yourself since you’re quick with the auld fists to solve your problems.
    Shut up and stay, or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

4) As for the location, it is perfect, its 5 minutes from work, 5 minutes from my Missus family and 5 minutes from a bus straight to Dublin when I wanna see mine.
    and its 30M from a niteclub and 0M from multiple annoying neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

GreeBo wrote: »
    and its 30M from a niteclub and 0M from multiple annoying neighbours.

That threshold website link is great -why not print it out and highlight the 7 day eviction bit and glue it to their door -with a note saying that unless the noise stops from x time onwards effective immediate that you will be pressing the ptrb for their eviction and that you have registered noise complaints with them, their landlord and the guards. In fairness, this threat stopped the noise from my neighbours rented house screaming visiting children - if ai'd had this threshold leaflet it would have been easier! They may have no respect for their landlord or s/he may not care or be bothered but is one above that -hopefully it might work. You can have noisy inconsidetate neighbours anywhere - no need to pay triple the rent when the solution is the same whetever you move to with renters. If they own the property its a different ball game - at least this way you have proper redress.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That threshold website link is great -why not print it out and highlight the 7 day eviction bit and glue it to their door -with a note saying that unless the noise stops from x time onwards effective immediate that you will be pressing the ptrb for their eviction and that you have registered noise complaints with them, their landlord and the guards. In fairness, this threat stopped the noise from my neighbours rented house screaming visiting children - if ai'd had this threshold leaflet it would have been easier! They may have no respect for their landlord or s/he may not care or be bothered but is one above that -hopefully it might work. You can have noisy inconsidetate neighbours anywhere - no need to pay triple the rent when the solution is the same whetever you move to with renters. If they own the property its a different ball game - at least this way you have proper redress.

That promise of court action works with many such nuisances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

'white noise generators' are like 20 quid or so on amazon. Worth trying one and see if it helps.

Advertisement