Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of Canada and the USA

• 09-06-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hi folks, following on from the Ultimate Flags of the World Tournament, I thought I'd give this one a whirl. It's on a smaller scale but hopefully it will be interesting as many of the flags will be new to a lot of folks, myself included.
    flag-canada-usa-combo.gif

This competition centres on the big boys of North America and their internal divisions. There are some weird, wild, whacky and wonderful submissions. There'll be 64 flags in total, including one preliminary match, and that's exactly spot on for a tournament.

With all that said let's get ready for the opening bout...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So we have 50 US States and 13 Canadian Provinces and Territories giving us a total of 63. To make up the final spot, there is a play-off between two entities often mentioned as potential 51st States. There's a half hour time limit on this or first to attain 4 votes. Which of these pretenders do you deem a contender?
    Washington D.C.

640px-Flag_of_the_District_of_Columbia.svg.png
    VS

Puerto Rico

640px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Puerto Rico, even though if isn't actually a state (yet). Neither is Washington D.C. but their flag does nothing for me. White on the top is never good.

Puerto Rico, even though if isn't actually a state (yet). Neither is Washington D.C. but their flag does nothing for me. White on the top is never good.

That's why they're in the preliminary round :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Both absolutely dreadful.

I'll go Puerto Rico ,simply because its reminding me of the tv show Gladiators.

* that's literally the biggest compliment I can think of.

Wow.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's why they're in the preliminary round :P
    I should have read what you wrote rather than just looking at the colouredy things and jumping in... :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DC - Do we have to give reasons? If so because it looks like a maths question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Puerto Rico Just ....

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    DC - Do we have to give reasons? If so because it looks like a maths question

Reasons not needed at this stage Rig!

DC, because Puerto Rico's is just a Cuban flag that's been yankee-bastardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Puerto Rico for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Thrilled to see this. Loved the last competition. Thanks Omack.

It's Puerto Rico beating out DC with a score of 4-2. It enters the official field. With that said, let's get to the first round. 30 minute time limit and/or first to four.
    Michigan

640px-Flag_of_Michigan.svg.png

VS

Ohio

640px-Flag_of_Ohio.svg.png

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Puerto Rico

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ohio, just for the odd shape

Ohio! I did a ninja deletion of a post earlier predicting either Ohio or Nunavut to win the tournament.

Tough first round; if only you could have Michigan's colours and animals with Ohio's shape we could end this contest right now!

But I'm going to hope for more animal based flags in future rounds and vote Ohio for its funky shape, and to avenge Nepal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Michigan

Ohio.

Michigan flag looks like they spelt that cheap beer (that I can’t spell) wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Michigan,

Cant wait for the mess of a flag that is Maryland to come up

Ohio wins!

• Advertisement

Two blue banners battling here.
    Oregon

640px-Flag_of_Oregon.svg.png

VS

Indiana

640px-Flag_of_Indiana.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Indiana, i like the design of the stars and torch

Indiana

It has a nicer blue about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oregon, because Portland Oregon was my favourite city when I was over in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Indiana - looks like an EU wannabe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Indiana. Oregon is a bit too complicated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Indiana - could join EU with that flag

Indie wins!

East vs West next
    North Carolina

640px-Flag_of_North_Carolina.svg.png

VS

Utah

640px-Flag_of_Utah.svg.png

• Advertisement

Utah

Advertisement