Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean Lava Tri - Lanzarote

• 04-04-2013 8:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    first steps into the world of tri this year, signed up for athy(sprint), planning on doing my local ones as well, castleconnell(sprint) and Boru/Killaloe (olympic).

At the same time i'm finishing an MBA this year, thesis gets handed in in oct, and i was looking for some way to celebrate. stumbled on this

http://www.oceanlava.com/

olympic /half ironman in Lanzarote in early november. a week away would be nice, and the idea of doing a warm weather tri appeals to me.

so, question, anyone done it? or know anyone that has? am i biting off more than i can chew

secondly. am i nuts thinking that given teh time i could target the HIM, with a view to just finishing, not thinking about times or places or anything like that? The swim would be okay, know i can get to that distance easily enough with some training. cycling i'm doing an average of 100k long cycles at the weekends already, averaging 28 to 30km/hr, plus turbo sessions and shorter spins during the week, that'll be picking up now again with the long evenings

running, i had been targeting the half marathon in Limerick in june, but was out of running for two moths with an injured foot, and just back, gone from 15km long runs at the weekend to struggling with 7/8,but building back up slowly. given it's 7 months away, am i mad to think that i could be ready for the HIM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If you only want to finish it, it should be no problem to target the HIM. You are already doing the distances in swim and bike so just to get the run sorted now.

I would be of the opinion if you are going to travel abroad for a race you might as well get your moneys worth and the longer the better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cheers catweazle. to be honest given teh time frame i think it should be okay, but i thought i'd ask the more seasoned voices in here to make sure i wasn't biting off more than i can chew. While the indidivual distances are fine, it's the old issue of doing them all together, and in that heat, over a hilly course, that worries me

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Of course you could do it. Its just a matter of staying on your feet for the distance, and you'd get around. You might not do an epic time, but long as you're within any cutoffs that wont matter if you just want to achieve it. You should never let distance scare you. It's pace that's hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Toss in some proper nasty hills to your cycling and it looks like you'd be well sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm doing the 1/4 - olympic distance.

Just thinking at the moment i'll hire a bike as i won't be in until 6 on the fri evening and the race is on sat morning.

• Advertisement

I'm doing the 1/4 - olympic distance.

Just thinking at the moment i'll hire a bike as i won't be in until 6 on the fri evening and the race is on sat morning.

i'm thinking the same myself now. will do my first olympic at the boru in killaloe in late august, and given the hills/heat i'm beginning to think the 1/4 might be enough.

renting a bike as well, will be brining the family and lugging the bike and a 3 year old will be nuts. And as i can't hire a 3 year old over there....

mossym wrote: »
    i'm thinking the same myself now. will do my first olympic at the boru in killaloe in late august, and given the hills/heat i'm beginning to think the 1/4 might be enough.

renting a bike as well, will be brining the family and lugging the bike and a 3 year old will be nuts. And as i can't hire a 3 year old over there....

No kids for us this time, 5 days of freedom:D

I've contacted the organisers re registration and set up as i won't be flying in until the fri evening ( day before ) and when they get back to me i'll chat to the bike shop in La Santa and see what they can do for me. I know a few places in Puerto Del Carmen but i'm not sure if they supplt TT's. I'll do some research and decide.

Cycle course has a nice climb to get out of Peurto Del Carmen and the run is Bloody hilly as well, its not a walk in the park but i love it over there and really want to race on the island.

i've it slightly easier, only ride a road bike so have a bit more flexibility. might bring my own aero bars and put them on but thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I think I might aim for this one next year it looks great still to attempt an oly distance yet so hope to have a couple under my belt before next year.

Have either of ye done it before. What's the course for the quarter like I had a friend do the IM and he was saying the hills were tough but the heat in the lava fields was worse.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I think I might aim for this one next year it looks great still to attempt an oly distance yet so hope to have a couple under my belt before next year.

Have either of ye done it before. What's the course for the quarter like I had a friend do the IM and he was saying the hills were tough but the heat in the lava fields was worse.

Its Nov and its not "as warm" the cycle and run are tough, simple as. I've ran the run route a good few times and there a nasty climb to be done twice.

The cycle i have to see the route but know the town its going to and theres climbing the whole way to it but the way back should be easier.

• Advertisement

a nasty climb to be done twice..

I may start finding some hills to run up so :eek:

any other suggestions for something similar perhaps easier :D

Mr.Fred wrote: »

any other suggestions for something similar perhaps easier :D

are you looking for a half or a quarter?

one thing about this, the quarter is only a 950m swim, not the usual 1500m. i'd nearly prefer the 1500m, if going to do it would rather have the whole thing.

I would rather do a longer swim and avoid the hills. haha

Ah it doesn't sound to bad from reading a few reviews on it. Apparently the swim is grand so I could make up a bit of time there for the bike (wouldn't be my strong point)and at 2 hours for the 10k should be easily manageable unless the hills are fierce.

In saying that I'd be looking at it for next year so might even target the half distance by then. I can dream anyway. :)

I've only really started getting into Tri's this year did a few last year and would love to be looking at entering an IM one day, seriously dreaming there but sure aim high.

flights, accomodation, and registration for the race taken care of this weekend, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

mossym wrote: »
    flights, accomodation, and registration for the race taken care of this weekend, looking forward to it now

I wish I was going! Thats gonna be an awesome race :cool:

just back from doing this, have to say it's a superb race. loved the experience. Already considering going back nest year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Race report???? :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Race report???? :D

this was written asmore of a personal record than a race report, so apologies if it isn't up to the level of some of the efforts on here.

http://mossym155.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats too BTW. Lanza is a great spot. I'd love to do a tri there at some stage.

Advertisement