Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a .mkv to .avi converter please.

• 15-04-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

As title,I've Googled the query but I'm reluctant to use a package that I don't know anything about.

If anyone knows a good one,please share or PM if more appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I'm using DivX plus converter, happy with it so far, simple to use.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/converter

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

I'm using DivX plus converter, happy with it so far, simple to use.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/converter

Looks good but it only seems to have .mkv to DivX,I need .avi......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AVI is a container format, the actual video itself can be encoded differently between AVI files. Many DivX files are AVI files.

O ok,thanks guys,I'll try that one then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is there a particular device you are looking to run the video on? If it doesn't support DivX files, post the device here and we can see if we can find specs of supported video formats.

• Advertisement

Is there a particular device you are looking to run the video on? If it doesn't support DivX files, post the device here and we can see if we can find specs of supported video formats.

I have various movies on my laptop,all of them will play via VLC media player.However,I prefer to transfer movies to a USB stick and watch them on the telly via my Bluray player.

The problem is the Bluray player doesn't seem to recognise all the formats e.g. .avi files seem to play fine but .mkv files won't.

If there's a better easier way,I'm all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Icarus152 wrote: »
    I have various movies on my laptop,all of them will play via VLC media player.However,I prefer to transfer movies to a USB stick and watch them on the telly via my Bluray player.

The problem is the Bluray player doesn't seem to recognise all the formats e.g. .avi files seem to play fine but .mkv files won't.

If there's a better easier way,I'm all ears.

Whats the bluray player, make and model?

Whats the bluray player, make and model?

Samsung BD-P1580 Blu-Ray Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 porfitron

Looks good but it only seems to have .mkv to DivX,I need .avi......

As already mentioned here, .avi is just the container, and the .divx file extension is just a variant on .avi to accommodate DivX features like subtitles and menus. The DivX codec can be used to create files in either .divx or .avi containers.

You can always just rename the .divx extension to .avi and the file will still work.

If you're using a certified DivX hardware player (like a DVD player or PS3), you can just leave it as .divx and it'll play just fine, but either way, renaming the file extension between .avi/.divx won't hurt a thing.

If you have more questions about DivX, you can also hit us up at DivX Labs or follow us on @DivXLabs on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 porfitron

I just checked and this player is officially DivX certified, so you can use the free DivX Plus Software from DivX.com to convert/move files to USB and play on this Blu-Ray player. DivX Plus Player has a new feature called DivX to Go, that'll convert for free (not a trial... completely free!), so you might as well use it since you've got a certified player and the software is free.

• Advertisement

porfitron wrote: »
    I just checked and this player is officially DivX certified, so you can use the free DivX Plus Software from DivX.com to convert/move files to USB and play on this Blu-Ray player. DivX Plus Player has a new feature called DivX to Go, that'll convert for free (not a trial... completely free!), so you might as well use it since you've got a certified player and the software is free.

Will it convert .mkv files?

Edit: I'm studying the site,thanks,looks perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Why not hook up your laptop to the telly? Conversion can be quite time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1

I've used it to covert proper 720p mkv's to formats usable in my PS3, simple to use too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Re-converting the video makes baby jesus cry.

Can you not open the mkv in virtualdubmod and set the video to directstreamcopy and resave as an avi?

You may run into issues if the video is h264 mind.

Try to avoid re-compressing the video if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The_Edge wrote: »
    Re-converting the video makes baby jesus cry.

Can you not open the mkv in virtualdubmod and set the video to directstreamcopy and resave as an avi?

You may run into issues if the video is h264 mind.

Try to avoid re-compressing the video if at all possible

The mkv2vob program will do this automatically, it will take the best option possible.

You dont have to think which option to use, the program will do it for you unless you have specific things you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Sweet, I must give it a whirl. Never heard of it until now.

Cheers

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1

I've used it to covert proper 720p mkv's to formats usable in my PS3, simple to use too

New to this,guys.I'll try Divx and this aswell.Thanks

Advertisement