Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote the Bible then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Sorry. But I got a right smart arse vibe from your post. Like your entire point of your post was to blow yourself up.
    There for, I really don't care to be perfectly honest :)

Or, just as likely, you imagined for yourself whatever "vibe" you could to attack the poster and ignore the post/point. Which I fear says a lot more about you than it does about me.

But to repeat, the statement you employed is a known one and is often used in many subjects. Often by BOTH sides of the discussion. Which just shows how empty and useless a phrase it is. A phrase that says everything in fact effectively says nothing. And the fact that any side of pretty much any topic can employ the exact same phrase (and often do) is demonstration of this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

I fear you read too much into that though. A knee jerk cultural turn of phrase does not hold any implication for what such people "know" in your mind. I am about as far from holding a belief in any god as anyone you are likely to meet. Yet the word "god" is also in my lexicon during expletives or sex or times of surprise or shock.

Such use of the word holds no implications about my belief or knowledge of a god than the fact you call Thursday Thursday means you believe in Thor. Linguistic cultural memetics are not an implication about personal beliefs about the universe.

As for my own personal journey with gods.... it has generally been made up of me asking people and books for any actual arguments, evidence, data and reasoning they might have to offer that even lends a modicum of credence to the idea there is such an entity. Only to find consistently that the answer is no. They have nothing.

Televangelists are indeed the extreme example of people openly profiting from religious nonsense. Or their faith healer on stage equivalents. However they are just the extreme. The Churches themselves are quite often essentially a business model too.

And they turn a tidy profit at times too. The wealth in the Vatican alone is a testament to that. At best the Catholic Church appears to be in the business of being a charity broker. And they do quite well skimming off the top.

They also appear to be in the profitable business of taking perfectly good ideas, ideas that hold utility and truth without any metaphysical or supernatural nonsense, and merely repackaging those ideas for re-sale.

I have yet to come across any religious idea of any actual use, that loses a SHRED of it's utility when divested of the divisive and unsubstantiated nonsense the particular religion packaged it in.

I didn't read too much in the post nor have a knee-jerk reaction as you say. My point is every person will at some point in their lives reach that crossroads of what they believe and hold true.

Whether it is accepting God or denying him. That is the gift of free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No sir, your cherry-picking with the extremes and every religion has them. From Christianity, Islam ,and Judaism. And it is those groups of extremes that the actual faith is painted.

Your going by one extreme to another argument which seems to be the norm in society. And I do agree with you that some have made a business of religion in this day. But it is far from the teachings. I am disgusted with all the tele-evangelists we now have.

But They don't speak for God, not even your Pope who is elected by man, and not by God. And I am not trying to sway your own beliefs in anyway. Your own journey is just that, your own.

What I pointed out was extremism but it held a grip on this country, endorsed by FFFG and Labour and so many suffered because of it.

Thankfully from that extreme hold religion had on the people here, most people see through the lies and the hatred of women.

Yet for some reason there's plenty of BCCs that are happy to throw money at the scum in the Roman church in return for the odd big day.

I didn't read too much in the post nor have a knee-jerk reaction as you say.

And yet you do. When you wrote "Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs" you claimed off the back of this fact that "We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter."

That is very much reading too much into it. You are taking a general turn of phrase people often use, and trying to suggest it's use implies something about their innate knowledge of god.
    Whether it is accepting God or denying him. That is the gift of free will.

It is not even clear we HAVE "free will" and the subject is quite divisive. So I fear you are appealing to something unsubstantiated in order to sustain something else also unsubstantiated. Which makes it quite circular.

However even the phrase "accepting or denying" assumes more than you have a basis for assuming. I can neither accept NOR deny something I have no reason to think is actually there. It is a false dichotomy you offer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Or, just as likely, you imagined for yourself whatever "vibe" you could to attack the poster and ignore the post/point. Which I fear says a lot more about you than it does about me.

But to repeat, the statement you employed is a known one and is often used in many subjects. Often by BOTH sides of the discussion. Which just shows how empty and useless a phrase it is. A phrase that says everything in fact effectively says nothing. And the fact that any side of pretty much any topic can employ the exact same phrase (and often do) is demonstration of this fact.

You took the time to write all that and I didn't even read it. Told you I don't care :)

Friendly bit of advice and that's just don't waste your time dude.

• Advertisement

And yet you do. When you wrote "Atheists will still say Öh My God, when something tragic occurs" you claimed off the back of this fact that "We all know of him, whether you believe in him or not, is a different matter."

That is very much reading too much into it. You are taking a general turn of phrase people often use, and trying to suggest it's use implies something about their innate knowledge of god.

It is not even clear we HAVE "free will" and the subject is quite divisive. So I fear you are appealing to something unsubstantiated in order to sustain something else also unsubstantiated. Which makes it quite circular.

However even the phrase "accepting or denying" assumes more than you have a basis for assuming. I can neither accept NOR deny something I have no reason to think is actually there. It is a false dichotomy you offer there.

Sorry but your engaging in smoke and mirror tactics to prove your point, Regardless of the failings of man in the name of God or Christian. Either you believe or don't, why would you inflict your belief on ones who differ?

Would that not be along the lines of the extremists of religion? What makes you so different?

You took the time to write all that and I didn't even read it. Told you I don't care :)

You care enough to keep replying. You will probably do it again :)

However your error is in assuming that I require you to care. When I reply to someone like yourself, it is rarely for YOUR benefit I am doing it. Otherwise I would just message you privately :)
    Sorry but your engaging in smoke and mirror tactics to prove your point

Except there is no smoke or mirrors there. In both cases I am directly replying to your statements and explaining how statement two does not follow from statement one in each case. That is the exact opposite of smoke and mirror.
    Regardless of the failings of man in the name of God or Christian. Either you believe or don't, why would you inflict your belief on ones who differ?

Would that not be along the lines of the extremists of religion? What makes you so different?

Errrr how am I inflicting anything on anyone? Least of all on you? You are gone full hyperbole here for some reason.

No one is "inflicting" anything on anyone here. It is in fact quite a testament to your privilege and the joys of modern society that you can even make such a bull statement. I hope you never EVER experience what it ACTUALLY means to have the beliefs of others "inflicted" on you because you seem to have no idea what it actually means. And I think in some ways that is a GOOD Thing. I hope you never do.

Right now you are CHOOSING to come to a discussion and debate forum and CHOOSING to read my posts and CHOOSING to reply to them. To my knowledge no one BUT you is compelling you to do any of these things. The only one inflicting anything on anyone therefore.... is you. What I am doing is nothing remotely contained in the verb "to inflict". Pocket the persecution complex, it is not a pretty look.

However I believe us to be a social species and the free exchange of ideas and the critique of each others positions and beliefs is pretty much all we have to ensure we continue to survive our differences into our hopefully long future as a species. I do not "inflict" beliefs. I discuss them. No one is forcing you to engage.

You care enough to keep replying. You will probably do it again :)

However your error is in assuming that I require you to care. When I reply to someone like yourself, it is rarely for YOUR benefit I am doing it. Otherwise I would just message you privately :)

Except there is no smoke or mirrors there. In both cases I am directly replying to your statements and explaining how statement two does not follow from statement one in each case. That is the exact opposite of smoke and mirror.

Errrr how am I inflicting anything on anyone? Least of all on you? You are gone full hyperbole here for some reason.

No one is "inflicting" anything on anyone here. It is in fact quite a testament to your privilege and the joys of modern society that you can even make such a bull statement. I hope you never EVER experience what it ACTUALLY means to have the beliefs of others "inflicted" on you because you seem to have no idea what it actually means. And I think in some ways that is a GOOD Thing. I hope you never do.

Right now you are CHOOSING to come to a discussion and debate forum and CHOOSING to read my posts and CHOOSING to reply to them. To my knowledge no one BUT you is compelling you to do any of these things. The only one inflicting anything on anyone therefore.... is you. What I am doing is nothing remotely contained in the verb "to inflict". Pocket the persecution complex, it is not a pretty look.

However I believe us to be a social species and the free exchange of ideas and the critique of each others positions and beliefs is pretty much all we have to ensure we continue to survive our differences into our hopefully long future as a species. I do not "inflict" beliefs. I discuss them. No one is forcing you to engage.

At this point we should agree to disagree. Like I said before, I've no desire to inflict my beliefs on anyone. That is a personal journey everyone must take. So I wish you well and you find solace in your life.

You can't inflict them on anyone, nor can I, that's the good thing. I mean it that I find it in SOME ways a genuinely good thing that you seemingly have no idea what "inflicting beliefs" actually means or looks like. I hope you never do. Because I can tell you from direct AND indirect experience that it is not at all pretty.

There are abortion clinics blown up and doctors murdered. That is beliefs being inflicted. There are children who die because their parents deny them simple medical intervention as they think it an affront to their god to use it. That is beliefs being inflicted. There are creationists campaigning to have actual science removed from school curriculums so other kids but their own can not learn it. That is beliefs being inflicted.

Being "talked" at on a friendly but robust internet forum? That ain't it. :) We live a privileged existence to even think it might be.

You can't inflict them on anyone, nor can I, that's the good thing. I mean it that I find it in SOME ways a genuinely good thing that you seemingly have no idea what "inflicting beliefs" actually means or looks like. I hope you never do. Because I can tell you from direct AND indirect experience that it is not at all pretty.

There are abortion clinics blown up and doctors murdered. That is beliefs being inflicted. There are children who die because their parents deny them simple medical intervention as they think it an affront to their god to use it. That is beliefs being inflicted. There are creationists campaigning to have actual science removed from school curriculums so other kids but their own can not learn it. That is beliefs being inflicted.

Being "talked" at on a friendly but robust internet forum? That ain't it. :) We live a privileged existence to even think it might be.

But those are man made beliefs that they interpret from the scriptures. Which a lot get wrong, IMO.I don't agree with abortion, but I realize society does. For me it's about personal belief and salvation.

That is the difference to me.I don't seek to convert anyone. Because I believe it is a personal journey for each and everyone one. I don't condemn those who don't believe as I do but I do pray for them.

And to be honest, we could go on and on about what we each believe. We both won't change the other, nor do I want to. So I will end this debate in wishing you and your family good health and happiness.

• Advertisement

But those are man made beliefs that they interpret from the scriptures. Which a lot get wrong, IMO.

Hard to say. Since there is no reason on offer to think there even is a god, it is difficult to clarify it's opinions on any matter. That the interpretation of scripture is "right" or "wrong" is therefore both entirely subjective, and is likely irreconcilable between people who disagree as there is no forthcoming data to help mediate matters. Especially as there is no reason to think the scriptures themselves, let alone beliefs based on them, are anything but man made either.
    That is the difference to me.I don't seek to convert anyone.

Nor do I as such. You do not find me on pulpits or going door to door with my "good news". However if people openly enter a discussion on the topic on what is a discussion forum.... I happily engage. It would be an error to mistake a motivation towards robust discourse, with a motivation to convert.

For me I rarely care what people believe in the privacy of their own head. Least of all enough to convert them. In fact the only theists I ever converted to being atheist I did so not by arguing religion with them, but actually making them sit down and read their Bible which, despite being believers they never bothered to. And they came out of the experience saying "I was meant to believe WHAT?" and never looked back.

It is only how their beliefs manifest in word and deed that causes issue with me. At which point their beliefs become fair game.

That said though....
    And to be honest, we could go on and on about what we each believe. We both won't change the other, nor do I want to.

.... while you above essentially openly admit to being close minded and not open to change.... I do not identify with that position. If I thought myself unchangeable by open and honest discourse...... I would not bother with discourse.

It is BECAUSE conversations with others can, and often have changed me that I continue to do it. The description above of what to me is hopeless pessimism is just a dark void I am glad I am not part of and an outlook on life I do not share.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You clearly have some Hardon for this thread nozz :pac:

If you say so.. I do not post often on boards any more. But if a thread I used to be part of comes alive again, I am happy to engage with it again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

An interesting recant of the 'Lost books of the Bible'

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1016/whats-up-with-the-lost-books-of-the-bible/

No question, the kid portrayed in the “lost books” isn’t exactly the Prince of Peace. After recounting three murders in two pages, one passage concludes, “Then said Joseph to St. Mary, henceforth we will not allow him to go out of the house; for everyone who displeases him is killed.”

The “lost books” are part of the apocrypha, quasibiblical works not included in the official Bible. There are several dozen of these, dating from both Old and New Testament eras and exhibiting considerable variety in length, completeness, and credibility. A few of these were considered inspired in some corners of the early church but were ultimately excluded from the formal canon for one reason or another; the remainder, which account for the bulk of the material, have always been regarded as spurious by the mainstream church and include works condemned as heretical or fraudulent.

In 1820 a number of the apocryphal books were compiled into a sort of alternative Bible called the Apocryphal New Testament. This was republished in 1926 as The Lost Books of the Bible and reprinted in 1979; the last version is what you saw. The 1820 book in turn was an aggregation of two English translations published in 1736 and 1737. The original works were a serious attempt to advance bible study, but the subsequent publications, arguably in 1820 and certainly from 1926 onward, were an attempt to sell books by creating scandal.

The homicidal-Jesus stories come from something known as the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. (This is to be distinguished from the better-known but equally apocryphal Gospel According to Thomas, about which more below.) Several versions of the Infancy Gospel have come to light, dating back to about the sixth century AD; all are copies of earlier texts.

As near as scholars can make out, the Thomas story originated in the mid-second century AD, subsequent to the four canonical gospels (that is, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). Some say it was based in part on Luke; the two books share the story of Jesus scourging the money lenders at the Temple. It is one of the few portrayals, spurious or not, of Jesus’s early life, which no doubt accounts for its continued circulation after eighteen hundred years.

The Infancy Gospel has never been proposed for inclusion in the official Bible. Many of the early Christian writers who were influential in deciding what books belonged in the canon regarded it as heretical. In it the young Jesus is fully aware that he is a god and performs miracles for sport, which is at odds with the usual Christian emphasis on Jesus’s humanity.

The book is not a literal account of Jesus’s early life. All of the gospels, including the canonical ones, were based on oral traditions collected after Jesus’s death and to a greater or lesser extent were intended to support a doctrinal point of view. The Infancy Gospel in antiquity was linked to sects that held that Jesus was God disguised as a man, rather than God become a man. Many of the stories have parallels in tales of the Buddha and other religious figures.

I mentioned there is another Gospel According to Thomas, a collection of 114 sayings attributed to Jesus discovered in Egypt in 1945. It is taken more seriously than the Infancy Gospel and while not as outrageous is equally troubling in its way. It ends, “Simon Peter said to them, ‘Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of life.’ Jesus said, ‘I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven.'” The best one can say is that it may represent the view of the compiler rather than the maker of heaven and earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Jews mostly.

Paul wrote half of the new testament ..he was jewish.

In fact the new testament was probably written for a jewish audience.

They don't often refer to a community out of the nation of Israel.

They have festivals that are jewish festivals ..interestingly some christians in the states practice them ...

The bible doesn't have christmas and easter as festivals.

By the way Jesus didn't speak Aramaic ...actually during that period Hebrew was the daily language and the language of study. He spoke hebrew.

There are sayings of Jesus which can be rendered both into Hebrew and Aramaic; but there are some which can only be rendered into Hebrew, and none of them can be rendered only into Aramaic.

And the bible was first written in Hebrew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Jews mostly.

Paul wrote half of the new testament ..he was jewish.

In fact the new testament was probably written for a jewish audience.

They don't often refer to a community out of the nation of Israel.

They have festivals that are jewish festivals ..interestingly some christians in the states practice them ...

The bible doesn't have christmas and easter as festivals.

By the way Jesus didn't speak Aramaic ...actually during that period Hebrew was the daily language and the language of study. He spoke hebrew.

There are sayings of Jesus which can be rendered both into Hebrew and Aramaic; but there are some which can only be rendered into Hebrew, and none of them can be rendered only into Aramaic.

And the bible was first written in Hebrew.

Apart from Paul being God's apostle to non-Jewish people, and Jesus spending a significant amount of time in non-Jewish areas during the course of His ministry. And apart from the Old Testament prophesying that God's word would go out from Israel to the end of the earth and to Gentiles in the Jewish prophets.

This is the pattern we see in Acts when it says that the gospel should go out from Judea to Samaria to the ends of the earth. Precisely what it has done throughout the course of its history.

What a surprise that the plan that God set out in Scripture is actually what has happened in history.

Apart from Paul being God's apostle to non-Jewish people, and Jesus spending a significant amount of time in non-Jewish areas during the course of His ministry. And apart from the Old Testament prophesying that God's word would go out from Israel to the end of the earth and to Gentiles in the Jewish prophets.

This is the pattern we see in Acts when it says that the gospel should go out from Judea to Samaria to the ends of the earth. Precisely what it has done throughout the course of its history.

What a surprise that the plan that God set out in Scripture is actually what has happened in history.

Nope jesus actually referred to gentiles as dogs and said he would give them nothing. Doesn't sound like my body given up for you does it?

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/2837/why-did-jesus-refer-to-gentiles-as-dogs

And no he didn't spend a lot of time with gentiles. If he had then he might have had a better less bigoted opinion of them.

Today rabbis are always saying Gentiles will accept the truth of the torah ..etc that is nothing new. The duty of Jews is to be a light to the nations ...(gentile means ..of the nations).

Also ALL the apostles were jewish ...and jesus had wanted to be a rabbi ...he even studied to be one ..but he had a falling out with his teacher.

If christians find something good from the jewish brown guy from palestine ..that's great. I happen to love his sermon on the mount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

jews are not ur friend!

LaFuton wrote: »
    jews are not ur friend!
    Love one another as I have loved you. From a Jew.

Blessed be the meek for they shall inherit the earth. From a jew.

We are your friends! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Nope jesus actually referred to gentiles as dogs and said he would give them nothing. Doesn't sound like my body given up for you does it?

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/2837/why-did-jesus-refer-to-gentiles-as-dogs

And no he didn't spend a lot of time with gentiles. If he had then he might have had a better less bigoted opinion of them.

Today rabbis are always saying Gentiles will accept the truth of the torah ..etc that is nothing new. The duty of Jews is to be a light to the nations ...(gentile means ..of the nations).

Also ALL the apostles were jewish ...and jesus had wanted to be a rabbi ...he even studied to be one ..but he had a falling out with his teacher.

I suggest that you read the New Testament in context. Including the passage that you cited where Jesus commends the woman for her faith when he's in Gentile territory. If you read this whole passage that's clear.

Jesus was also pretty clear that people would come to Him from other nations. In Matthew 8 Jesus heals a centurion's son and says the following afterwards:
    When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.

Jesus also urges His disciples to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28). The Bible needs to be read holistically and in context.

As I said already. Isaiah and other prophets in the Old Testament prophesied that God's word would go out to Gentiles.

• Advertisement

Love one another as I have loved you. From a Jew.

Blessed be the meek for they shall inherit the earth. From a jew.

We are your friends! :)

classic misinterpretation, keep reading x

oh and read john scittus erigineaus(?) think thats the spelling, ill find out, brb

I suggest that you read the New Testament in context. Including the passage that you cited where Jesus commends the woman for her faith when he's in Gentile territory. If you read this whole passage that's clear.

Jesus was also pretty clear that people would come to Him from other nations. In Matthew 8 Jesus heals a centurion's son and says the following afterwards:

Jesus also urges His disciples to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28). The Bible needs to be read holistically and in context.

Jesus thought he was moshiach ....the jewish savouir ...and the moshiach is supposed to get all the nations to follow him and unite ..of course he was going to say that. It is what his Jewish audience would need to hear to believe he was the moshiach.

The truth is he was a Jewish nationalist. He was also a zionist.

John Scotus Eriugena or Johannes Scotus Erigena was an Irish theologian, neoplatonist philosopher, and poet.

nice read if u a theosophical freak like me :)

and ILYV, have u read much about Celtic Christianity, pre synod of Whitby? its my fav.

asl btw? ;)

LaFuton wrote: »

and ILYV, have u read much about Celtic Christianity, pre synod of Whitby? its my fav.

;)
    can't say i have tbh.

Jesus thought he was moshiach ....the jewish savouir ...and the moshiach is supposed to get all the nations to follow him and unite ..of course he was going to say that. It is what his Jewish audience would need to hear to believe he was the moshiach.

The truth is he was a Jewish nationalist. He was also a zionist.

The Jews never saw Jesus as the Saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Jews never saw Jesus as the Saviour.

And that's why they'll burn in hell, isn't it?

Ipso wrote: »

No and I don't know how you come up with that.

Ipso wrote: »

I thought they didn't believe in hell or heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Mary wrote the bible to hide the fact that she cheated on her husband.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Mary wrote the bible to hide the fact that she cheated on her husband.

dont forget Elizabeth, also mentioned in the Annunciation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement