Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks like some mammatus sneaked in a few moments ago in Dublin.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1175428884373880832?s=21

Are they though? They look very similar but I'm not fully convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great to see the East getting its fair share of the rain.

We need it to get the rain totals up as it has been below normal for a long time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent strike in south Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That rain in Celbridge was biblical. The main street was flooded and a large drain cover on the road popped up. Last time I saw it this heavy here was in August 2008 or 9, when 91 mm fell in an hour and a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That rain and is just west of me in Arklow
    I can literally see rain falling for the last hour only 5 to 10kms west but here blue sky!
    Wind is all over the shop but SW surface flow off that rain band yet its training north
    Upper flow is different to the lower flow on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Unbelievable rain through today in Naas with the stream beside me bursting its banks and the garden flooding out the back.

Approaching 40mm now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That rain and is just west of me in Arklow
    I can literally see rain falling for the last hour only 5 to 10kms west but here blue sky!
    Wind is all over the shop but SW surface flow off that rain band yet its training north
    Upper flow is different to the lower flow on it

very similar situation here in Dunshaughlin. That big band of intense rainfall missing me by about 3 or 4km, dark skies to my south and west for past hour and a patch of blue sky overhead, however I didn't see any sunshine today. Ground still very damp after last night's heavy rainfall.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Unbelievable rain through today in Naas with the stream beside me bursting its banks and the garden flooding out the back.

Approaching 40mm now

No disrespect to the farmers near you but it can stay there
    Don't want it
    21mm earlier today was plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Im in bangkok, any decent chart models for here? Had some crazy storms here last few days..

*sorry for going off topic but cant find any decent weather apps for here. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ye can have it
    Ye can have it ALL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Virtually no rain in swords most of the daylight hours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Very heavy rain now in d24 and we are only on the edge of the rain band according to the rainfall radar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Teeming DN22

Loud thunder just now in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Loud thunder just now in Arklow

Woke me up. Heavy rain now too.

Very heavy rain here
    Only the one crack of thunder but it was explosively loud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Could be some action according to some media outlets https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1183409230147182592?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Forecast after 6pm RTE 1 news showed lightning over Cork. Read into that what you will

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold pool moving in over Ireland in the coming days. Should make for convection over the still relatively warm seas Weds and Thurs and will be keeping an eye on the passage of those troughs. Could be that most of the heaviest showers keep mainly to the coasts.

wJmydIz.gif

iKdWkdD.gif

anim_kak6.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Forecast after 6pm RTE 1 news showed lightning over Cork. Read into that what you will

A few sparks showing up on the south coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

igCorcaigh wrote:
    A few sparks showing up on the south coast.

Intense bursts of rain at about 5am, didn't hear thunder though, waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

0415h this morning heard some rumbles off Kinsle coast..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Intense bursts of rain at about 5am, didn't hear thunder though, waterford city

Same near Kinsale about 5am.
    Edit:sorry just saw previous post

Strike detected of Skerries earlier this morning. Rain was very intense at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Strike detected of Skerries earlier this morning. Rain was very intense at the time

Plane was hit by lightning this morning after taking off from Dub

pad199207 wrote: »
    Plane was hit by lightning this morning after taking off from Dub

There was a lightning strike reported in the aviation forum. Aircraft enroute from Cork to Edinburgh was struck sometime before 8am, circled over Ards peninsula and diverted to Dublin. Was this the same incident referred to above or separate one? The strike I reported previously was around 10am this morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit of an interest late Weds early Thurs up along Atlantic coasts and for Thurs also especially coastal areas in general as a cold pool of air moves in over us. Not much deep layer shear but convection possible with instability aided by the warm seas. Heavy blustery showers with a chance of lightning but probably mostly over water or near the coasts with the possibility of a weak cell moving inland a bit. Could get a few hail showers also.

ECM not showing as much CAPE as the French models, EURO 4 showing some possibility of thunderstorms near the coasts.

anim_nqb2.gif

anim_daq5.gif

anim_xln0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Big hail storm just now, dark skys and rumbles....

NE of Sneem...

Just got inside before a huge convective shower here inTralee. Been getting showers all morning but they are getting bigger as the day goes on. Sferics mostly over the sea but a few showing up near the coasts now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Very active thunderstorm south of Newbridge, looks like heading for Naas.

Advertisement