Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mogsie123

now the walker has finished with its scan in the kitchen and where it has detected the signal its saying that it is weak and is flicking in and out. i dont know whats going on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mogsie123 wrote: »
    now i am totally confused. what is a red and black tip aerial. all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky

Terrestrial TV aerials are grouped for a certain frequency range and are allocated a colour code for easier ID (see this page), normally a coloured plastic bung at the tip if the aerial or coloured plastic tape somewhere on the aerial.

Mt Leinster is Group B (yellow tip) horizontially mounted.

If Mt Leinster coverage was good enough for Waterford city they wouldn't have installed a new transmitter in the area.
    when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky

A Group A aerial pointed towards Gallows Hill with the pins (directors) vertical (the one in the picture is horizontal).

all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

How are you splitting the signal from the attic aerial between the two rooms?

so what is it i should do. or does this mean i was sold the wrong aerial

so what is it i should do. or does this mean i was sold the wrong aerial

Possibly the correct aerial for Mt Leinster, might not be the correct aerial for your location.

Some information here from RTÉNL regarding the reception of Saorview, aerials etc. - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Saorview-DTT-October2010.pdf

• Advertisement

i installed the digital aerial into the attic and connected it to the coax that runs to the box at the side of the hose. there i split it using a splitter and used two coax cables installed by the previous owners for upc or sky i am not sure. one goes to the sunroom where the walker tv is working great with saorview and the other coax goes to the kitchen where i cant get a signal for saorview using the tevion tv.

i installed the digital aerial into the attic and connected it to the coax that runs to the box at the side of the hose. there i split it using a splitter and used two coax cables installed by the previous owners for upc or sky i am not sure. one goes to the sunroom where the walker tv is working great with saorview and the other coax goes to the kitchen where i cant get a signal for saorview using the tevion tv.

A guess, maybe the weak Mt Leinster signal arriving at your attic aerial split between two rooms is not good enough by the time it reaches the Tevion TV's tuner? or some bad co-ax cable between the aerial and the TV points? or some bad connections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

model number 185-28j-gb-hcu-roi. and at the risk of sounding like a smaart ass it shows sweet f all on ch 45.

Okay well these TVs are made by UMC in Slovakia (not Vestel). They make a range of Tv's and rebrand them. Thats for the Tv anoraks.

Back to your issue Page 16 of the manual tells you how to manual tune. It also has an option within that "Channel Menu" called signal info, which will tell you whether you have a signal.

You need to make sure that when you split the signal that the cables and connectors are not loose - incorrectly wired. That is the root of your problem. In the event that they are okay - you may then need a signal booster/amplifier to carry the signal to the sunroom. As "the Cush" says above it sounds like signal degradation by the time it gets to the Sunroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Silly questions guys, but could the splitter be sending TV to one room and (former)sky to the other?

the signal is perfect in the sunroom and the walker 32"can pick it up no bother. when i put the 19" tevion in the sun room it wont pick up any signal.

• Advertisement

do different tv's need different signal strengths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I notice that Argos are now selling a Saorview approved box with the Bush logo. It's for sale at €69.99. I presume it's another rebadged Vestel box.

I wonder if there is going to be any non Vestel boxes appoved for Saorview in the near future? Besides the Triax one that is

Does anybody know if the Vestel boxes all have the same specification?

So far we have the following approved set top boxes:

Akura AVT8010
    Bush B650 (not on saorview website yet!!)
    Laurus T8010
    Triax TR112
    Walker WP10DTB
    Walker WP11DTB
    Walker WP12DTB

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

marclt wrote: »

Yes, there's an MHEG5 (or lack thereof) issue AOC are experiencing. I've had it confirmed to me by head office and am awaiting a resolution.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056342697

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HPMan1

Hi all

got a Panasonic TXP42G10L - and cannot get digital teletext on Saorview. There seems to be talk about setting it up for a different country and then rearranging the channels via channel edit mode. On looking on the list - there is no UK setting strangely - but many other countries - which one can i pick to trick the tv into enabling the MHEG5? Is there a certain number of "initial setups" you can do aka DVD coding changes where you are limited to about 3 region swaps?

Any tips welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

HPMan1 wrote: »
    Hi all

got a Panasonic TXP42G10L - and cannot get digital teletext on Saorview. There seems to be talk about setting it up for a different country and then rearranging the channels via channel edit mode. On looking on the list - there is no UK setting strangely - but many other countries - which one can i pick to trick the tv into enabling the MHEG5? Is there a certain number of "initial setups" you can do aka DVD coding changes where you are limited to about 3 region swaps?

Any tips welcome
    AFAIK, no liimit on region setting
    Only UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Australia use MHEG-5
    so no point in trying other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

If the L model is an Irish spec model, which I believe it is, and doesn't get MHEG 5 take it back as unsuitable under the Sale of Goods Act.

winston_1 wrote: »
    If the L model is an Irish spec model, which I believe it is, and doesn't get MHEG 5 take it back as unsuitable under the Sale of Goods Act.
    I agree to this, take back and get a Saorview approved TV
    I disagree with Currys for saying that they sell none approved Saorview TV for customers who have Sky or UPC
    All TV sold in Ireland should be Saorview approval weather the customer use the TV for SKY or UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

HPMan1 wrote: »
    Hi all

Any tips welcome

The reason there is no UK setting is that they have a specific model that ends in B rather than L. The B model is no good to you either because they short circuited the firmware to only decode MPEG2 broadcasts despite its MPEG4 H264 hardware.

Now the specific Irish model the L model was released in 2009/10 from memory. It does not include MHEG5 which the middleware used for text/interactive services. They packaged another middleware called MHP with it which is used in France etc and is no good here.

This is despite Panasonic sitting on the electrical distributors group CEDA and being aware of our spec since Feb 2008.

Give it back and dont buy Panasonic, they dont care about the Irish consumer. There are countless threads on this model and other Panasonic products from several disgruntled customers. Until Pananosic actually have a model for Ireland that has certification I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole to receive Saorview. They simply cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

Would I be correct in saying that all of the Panasonic Irish models were equipped with VHF tuners which would seem to imply that they were selling on the basis that they would work (at the time of sale) for the whole population in Ireland, making sure to facilitate / include all those with Analog NTL / UPC without the use of an STB.

With this same statement in mind, do TV's currently sold as Saorview compatible, have VHF tuners or do they just have UHF and DVB-T ?

C

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

championc wrote: »

With this same statement in mind, do TV's currently sold as Saorview compatible, have VHF tuners or do they just have UHF and DVB-T ?

C

All TVs and STBs for Saorview MUST have VHF, it is part of the spec. RTE NL could solve their Mount Leinster problem by moving the mux to VHF.

All TVs and STBs for Saorview MUST have VHF, it is part of the spec. RTE NL could solve their Mount Leinster problem by moving the mux to VHF.
    I thought VHF is for local DTT Mux, like local community TV, not the national Mux

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Souriau wrote: »
    I thought VHF is for local DTT Mux, like local community TV, not the national Mux

They are most unlikely to use VHF, but it is part of the spec. Any Saorview approved product will scan the VHF band.

Souriau wrote: »

1 national VHF DTT layer allocated to Ireland at RRC06, operating as an MFN (no equivalent UK allocation).

5 (174 - 181) - IRL DTT NTH WEST, IRL DTT STH EAST
    6 (181 - 188) - IRL DTT WEST
    7 (188 - 195) - IRL DTT MIDLANDS
    8 (195 - 202) - IRL DTT EAST
    9 (202 - 209) - IRL DTT NTH EAST, IRL DTT STH WEST

According to RTÉNL the use of VHF for DTT hasn't been ruled out.

In 2007 Comreg's position on Band III was "Band III may be considered post analogue switch off" later in 2008 their position changed to "It is intended that Band III will not be used as part of Irelands National DTT service, which is due to launch late 2009". This position has to be declared officially before ASO so that existing VHF aerials are not unnecessarily removed if Comreg has a change of heart later on VHF DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hey guys how about the SJ42DMBB?

I can't seem to pick up any of the digital channels when I scan with a table top non amplified antenna however I can pick the channels up here and receive the sound when I tune them in with another Freeview TV (that doesn't have Mpeg4 so no picture).

What gives?

Bush and Alba have been added to the approved products list on the Saorview website making the Bush set top box at €50 the cheapest Saorview product available.

I think Bush and Alba are Argos own brand. I've ordered the Bush set top box and it's due to be in stock tomorrow. I will let you know if it's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

recyclebin wrote: »
    Bush and Alba have been added to the approved products list on the Saorview website making the Bush set top box at €50 the cheapest Saorview product available.

I think Bush and Alba are Argos own brand. I've ordered the Bush set top box and it's due to be in stock tomorrow. I will let you know if it's any good.
    BUSH have been around since moses was a snapper,..long before argos,...we had a 20" b&w bush valiant delux tv back in the early 70's,...wow

lensman wrote: »
    BUSH have been around since moses was a snapper,..long before argos,...we had a 20" b&w bush valiant delux tv back in the early 70's,...wow

It's the same Bush but only by name.

Argos bought the Bush and Alba trademarks but most of their products are rebadged products from Vestel and other companies

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Hi there,
    I am relatively new to boards and quite new to freesat / free to air and SAORVIEW, so apologies if this question has been asked already..

I have 2 x Sky+ boxes. I like Sky+ and I like having 2 x boxes. I am not too pushed about Sky channels (90% of what I watch is covered by SAORVIEW and FREESAT). Not too pushed if we end up taking away a lot of the junk channels that the kids watch. What I need is a combo box (SV +FS). However, is the Humax box (Humax Freesat 500GB HD PVR) that I have read reviews of the best one ? Is it SAORVIEW approved (doesn't seem to be..) That said is it capable of doing most or is there a similar approved product ? Anyone recommend a LImerick / North Tipp installer ?

Thanks a lot !

• Advertisement

egpower wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am relatively new to boards and quite new to freesat / free to air and SAORVIEW, so apologies if this question has been asked already..

I have 2 x Sky+ boxes. I like Sky+ and I like having 2 x boxes. I am not too pushed about Sky channels (90% of what I watch is covered by SAORVIEW and FREESAT). Not too pushed if we end up taking away a lot of the junk channels that the kids watch. What I need is a combo box (SV +FS). However, is the Humax box (Humax Freesat 500GB HD PVR) that I have read reviews of the best one ? Is it SAORVIEW approved (doesn't seem to be..) That said is it capable of doing most or is there a similar approved product ? Anyone recommend a LImerick / North Tipp installer ?

Thanks a lot !

No Freesat box can receive Saorview. The Humax is a good box though, and will allow you to watch and record satellite channels. It also does HD, and full 7-day EPG..

For Saorview, if you go for a combi box, you will lose the Freesat EPG. So you must choose.

Advertisement