Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best nightlife spot - Playa de las Americas, (Caribe Apartments)

• 10-07-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hey. Group of 18-19 year old lads heading to Tenerife the middle of August.
    I'm just wondering if you could help me with the following questions.
    - What is the accomodation like in the Caribe Apartments?
    - Where is the best night club to go to?
    - Do you have any tips or advice for us?
    Any help would be great,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

NotExactly wrote: »
    Any help would be great,

Tenerife is like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.. I LOVE it, been there 5 times in total..

- What is the accomodation like in the Caribe Apartments? I've never stayed in the Caribe but I was in them once a few years back.. From what I remember they’re grand, clean and modern, for a lads holiday I’d say you’ll be happy enough with them.

- Where is the best night club to go to? The strip of bars and clubs is known as Veronicas and it’s only 5 minutes walk from your apartment.. Then I guess it depends on what sort of music you’re into.. If you like your dance/house music then ‘Sound of Cream’ and ‘China’s White’ (yeah they’re rip offs of the big club names) would be your best bet.. If on the other hand you’re just looking for a bit of chart or RnB then you have Bobby’s / Buzbys / The Crows Nest and a couple of others, they’re all literally next door to each other.. Great place for a pub crawl :)

Then across the plaza you have the ‘Starco Centre’.. here you have Linekers (owned by Gary) Yates’ Bar, Rags and the biggest of the clubs Tramps www.trampstenerife.com This is generally where everyone heads to after the disco bars.. I’ve had some great nights here ;) Lisa Lashes, Dave Pearce and Judge Jules are resident DJs here to name but a few.. Goes on till around 5am.. great atmosphere and security is excellent so there's never any trouble..

Oh and how could I forget Monkey Beach http://www.monkeybeachclub.com/ it had only opened the last time I was there (2009).. great place for food (if a little pricey) and cocktails, and at night it’s a beach party.. frequented by a lot of the locals it can be a bit hard to get into at night as it’s so busy, so your best bet, if you’re going, is to go early in the evening for food and just stay the night..

- Do you have any tips or advice for us? Avoid the Chinese Buffet type places, the food is horrible and I’ve gotten sick on 2 occasions from eating in them.. not pleasant..

If you're looking for somewhere decent to eat on the cheap, there's a great place on the beach called Royal Garden, lovely food and good service etc and very reasonable..

There's loads of day trips and excursions, you won't be short of things to do..

Oh and, I don't know if you've been to the Canaries before, Tenerife is the hottest of the islands.. and it is HOT!!!! It's African sun, so bring loads of high factor sunscreen.. You'll ruin your holiday if you get burnt.. take it from me ;) I don't think I've ever seen a cloudy day in Tenerife in all the times I've been there, you're generally guaranteed good weather..

Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Avoid wearing Celtic or Ireland jerseys. From experience they don't go down too well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

+1 for around Linekars, Raggs, Brannigans etc etc... There's a massive selection of places there so just hop about.

I didn't like around Veronicas tbh, but there is a SAVAGE kebab place there about mid way down. Make sure ya pick one up after your night out :)

You have to, have to, HAVE TO go to O'Neills as well. If you're walking past with Veronica's on your right hand side, continue on for a bit and it's down somewhere on the right. It's a short walk from it like. Ask anyone around and they should be able to point ya to it. We only found out about it on the last night when we were there and were GUTTED!! There's bands and stuff that play and do singsongs etc... great place to start the night - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67968891657

Playa Las Americas is one of the best spots I've ever been to. We even managed to get an impromptu football match going outside Raggs one night. 5 Irish lads -v- a rake load of English dudes. Serious banter.

Oh and whatever you do, stay away from Toro. it's like red bull laced with speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

NotExactly wrote: »
    Any help would be great,

I'm going there too to the Caribe Apts in August! What dates are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davbr08

Thinking of going here during Mid Term first week of November.

Worth it?

Lads aged 23-25

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

davbr08 wrote: »
    Thinking of going here during Mid Term first week of November.

Worth it?

Lads aged 23-25

Thanks,

weather is still really good but there won't be many your age around that time of year, its mostly older folks who go to the canaries in october-december and also the reps outside veronicas and starco are extremely annoying in those months with much less business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davbr08

Can you recommend anywhere in the Canaries that would be busy for lads our age at this time of year?

We have been told Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria.

Tenerife

Lanzarote

Would we be better off going to one of the Greek Islands or somewhere like that?

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The caribe is at the top of the hill. Its ideal for a load of lads on a session. Due to it being "young and lively", security is strict. They can and do hammer on your door and tell you to STFU. Threaten you with the police, etc etc. Dont go to mad and you will be alright.

It is only a ten minute walk from Starco. Out the door, turn left, and second right. Down the hill and you are there. There is a cracking little bar called Destinys (see destinys tenerife on facebook), does a super breakky for when you are hung over. Has a pool table and beer is cheap. Useful place to hit when you get the munchies for a big fry up - and I mean big.

At veronicas, it can get a bit wild. Dont go over the top and you will be fine.

Enjoy yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

puerto rico will have more old people than anywhere, i was there in november last year and it was 90% folks over 70, lanzarote is quite cool and windy that time of year (the week i was there it was far too cold for the beach) and yes mostly older people again

never been to the the greek islands so can't comment, i was in the algarve in february two years back and everywhere was closed, same thing in cyprus, we were staying in larnaca which had the bars open but ayia napa was a ghost town

honestly the better nightlife in november is closer to home (edinburgh, blackpool etc), tenerife is a great spot even if there are not mad crowds of people around, weather will still be great in november and ye can go on a boat and watch the dolphins in the morning, climb to the top of mount tiede in the afternoon and go swimming with sea turtles in the evening