Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bra/Boob Holder/Scaffolding/Over the Shoulder Boulder Holder

• 04-07-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Anything else?

I have recently gotten myself remeasured and I am now a 36E I wear two brands of Bra, Chantelle and the Shock Absorber ones. Since there is a sale in Arnotts I treated myself to two new ones. What other ones are good? I'm aware that there are differences between different bras.

How does everyone take care of their bras? I generally lumber them into the washing machine but I hear this is bad for underwired ones and I want mine to last longer. I find cheaper bras to be a false economy so I love it when there is a sale on and when I strike gold in TK Max

Are there any tricks to washing them by hand?

My breasts have grown and I have noticed more that they are asymetrical, the left one being bigger, maybe half a size bigger than the right?

Is cupsize and rib cage measurement interlinked or totally independent? I tried on a new Shock Absorber in what would have been my old size (36DD) and I could barely get the damn thing on! I will have to try them in a 36E and see how it goes. My older shock absorbers still fit, or at least I think they do:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Now I'm slighlty paranoid that the bra is not fitting me properly, I get a bit of a 'line' across the top of my boobs and the wire on the LHS is chaffing slightly. I got them in Arnotts and I told the lady what size I was and that I thought I had gone up. I wasn't measured from scratch per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ultimo ftw.

I got measured about 6 months ago and the young girl said they're an F....no way in the world these puppies are even close to an F. Happy enough in Ds these days :) Isn't cup size usually rib cage + x inches? Don't quote me though, after all, my measurer thinks mine are Fs....

I hand wash mine or if I'm mega lazy I pop them in a pillowcase and chuck them in the machine. Tricks to washing them by hand? Wring them out in a towel and then hang them over something using the bit in the middle - if you hang from one end all the weight of the water dripping out pulls down the other side. True fact lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wash them in the shower with some handwash powder, dead handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I recently bought 4 bras in the local knicker and bra shop! The lady said theres no point in measuring, I had changed in size a bit, that the best thing to do was just try lots of bras on and make sure to put a top on and check out how they look!

I was there for just over an hour with the poor woman passing in bra after bra, but in the end I left with four of the best fitting bras ive ever worn, no more four boob or lumpy looking sides!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Last time I got my boobs measured, I was told I was a 36C. I bought a bra in that size and I could probably fit an extra boob into each cup.

Now I'm all confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I've had bad experiences with bra measuring. I got measured once in La Senza and was told I was a 32B. My boobs were literally bulging out of them. I got measured in Victoria's Secret...I was told I was a 34D...still a bit too small. I'll just try them on in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i badly need new bra's i have 4 boobs sometimes!! i'm glad i'm not the only one who has trouble getting the sizes right

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

On another note- the shop I bought in was in a small town on a quiet day so I had loads of time and a really easy going lady who was brutally honest when the bra was wrong.

small shops = good
    Big shops= bra I hate and will never wear because it does not fit

In my opinion!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

nermal15 wrote: »
    I've had bad experiences with bra measuring. I got measured once in La Senza and was told I was a 32B. My boobs were literally bulging out of them. I got measured in Victoria's Secret...I was told I was a 34D...still a bit too small. I'll just try them on in future!
    I dunno how La Senza are still in business - I got measured there too and they told me I was a 34D - the bra wouldn't even close and my boobs were spilling over the top. I am in fact a 38DD and their bras with all their padding make my boobs look horrendous.
    I get my underwear from victoria secrets and their 38DD fits me like a glove
    :D

I dunno how La Senza are still in business - I got measured there too and they told me I was a 34D - the bra wouldn't even close and my boobs were spilling over the top. I am in fact a 38DD and their bras with all their padding make my boobs look horrendous.
    I get my underwear from victoria secrets and their 38DD fits me like a glove
    :D

Yeah La Senza is terrible! Everything is padded to death!

• Advertisement

Yeah La Senza is terrible! Everything is padded to death!

I can't understand why anyone over a C cup needs padding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Padding isn't just to make boobs look bigger, it's gives great shape too. Only my sports bras are unpadded, all the others are lightly padded to give better shape under clothes.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A bit of light padding is useful for shaping reasons, but I avoid heavily padded bras in my size (34DD) like the plague. Have to agree with others, La Senza is desperate for putting way too much padding into bigger bras. We've already received ample gifts from the boob fairy, we just want to make them look as good as possible! :)

A bit of light padding is useful for shaping reasons, but I avoid heavily padded bras in my size (34DD) like the plague. Have to agree with others, La Senza is desperate for putting way too much padding into bigger bras. We've already received ample gifts from the boob fairy, we just want to make them look as good as possible! :)

Sorry I should have clarified my point - I'm talking about the padding that adds an extra cup size or three..not the lining that gives shape!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I agree about measuring - I'm always told a different size and find I just have to try them on and see what fits.

I'm a 34E and I find M&S good for bras that fit well and last ages. I hand wash with hand-wash detergent.

A little bit of padding can be good for covering up nipples :pac: but unfortunately, I find most large size bras have too much padding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Do M&S measure? I might go there for my next bra.

I quite like padding though. The boob fairy well over-looked me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I was 34E but have lost weight and am now a 30 FF. I got remeasured in Debenhams in Dublin and the staff were so helpful. The bras were quite finicky - like one might fit but another wouldn't and they gave me a ton of styles until I found the perfect bra.

Their Gorgeous range is the business! Link possibly NSFW! Total lift & separation. Like wearing armour! :D But it makes my boobs look fab & they don't look as big as they are. You have to give the back strappy part a good tug to stretch it though because they are very tight fitting (I never knew this handy tip!)

I hate bra shopping with a passion though (I buy a load in one go because they get mishapen so fast!) The cost of bras for big busts really depresses me, but at least nowadays there is a better and much prettier range than the white or black granny styles they used to sell :rolleyes:

That is so true!

The only place I have ever been measured in is Arnotts.

I got measured in Victoria's Secret

Do they have a shop in Dublin?

I will look out for the Ultimo ones

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

reallyrose wrote: »
    Do M&S measure? I might go there for my next bra.

I quite like padding though. The boob fairy well over-looked me. :(

Yes, Marks and Spencer measure you. They are always very helpful when I've gone in.
    I will look out for the Ultimo ones

Yep, best bras ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've never been well measured in a bra shop. I'm slim and my boobs aren't big, they're full, if that makes sense. The girls at VS would just lay a tape measure across the top portion of my chest and pronounce me a 32B or 34A.

But when measured properly, it turned out I was a 32D or DD. And since I started wearing bras in those sizes, I've felt a lot better. But I found out that VS is going to stop stocking 32Ds and DDs in their stores, which makes me kind of angry because I believe that you really have to try on a bra before you know if it suits you. They should at least stock some just so customers can try them on and see if they're worth purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Where is Victoria Secret in Dublin? I am a 36/34 GG and I normally have to spent about 50 quid on a bra if its to last more than a couple of months. I can't wear any kind of balcony bra, they just make look like I have four boobs instead of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes, Marks and Spencer measure you. They are always very helpful when I've gone in.

Whilst I found the staff in M&S lovely and helpful, the measurements I got there were as unhelpful as they have been everywhere else.

There really doesn't seem to be any point in getting measured? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I don't think there is a Victorias Secret in Dublin. I normally just stock up when I'm in America...

I'm a 36D/38C/38C depending on the bra/shop. I recently lost a lot of weight, but my boobs didn't change size. However I also went on the pill and find that on different weeks my boobies could be different sizes - the bra I wear could fit perfectly one week and I'd be spilling out of it the next!

Yeah, I only went to VS when I was in the US last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moorele

Bravissimo.co.uk is very good. They have a great selection & the prices are very reasonable I think. Unfortunately there are no shops in Ireland though. A few friends and I were in London a few weeks ago & went out of our way to go in & get measured. I was amazed that they dont use a tape measure but judge by eye & then bring you lots of samples to try on. I've never had such well fitting bra's in my life. Also at last I finally own some nice,colourful feminine & pretty bra's. Any bra I had previously owned was either white, black or skin coloured & were extremely boring.

In Ireland if your any way well endowed its ridiculous how restricted you are with regards shops you can find sizes big enough - M&S is about the extent of it. & as I said before the choice was dismal. Always plain granny bra's that dont exactly leave you feeling very attractive. I would highly recommend bravissimo.co.uk!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Debenhams do Freya and Fantasie and their own brand gorgeous range is good too if you take a bigger size.

Also I recently went into Change in Swords (they are also online) and got measured there, and tried on loads of different bras, and got several that fit really well. One tip they gave me was to always try on each one you buy before you actually buy it and when you try it on to bend over and touch your hands to your toes then stand up again, as if you are going to fall out of the bra/develop four boobs, you'll do it bending over.

It's worked ever since and any bras I've bought recently have fit far better than in the past :)

They also do a seperate bikini range in proper bra sizes with seperate bottoms for anyone around there who is looking for bikinis.

Bramora in Dublin City Centre is also good.

Advertisement