Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

donedeal.ie

• 22-06-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

whats the story with this website, i was doing a bit of research into getting a dog and one of my friends mentioned that he had seen dogs for sale on this site, i looked at it and for some reason it seems just not right, maybe its the fact the site have warnings alerting people to beware when buying pups off their site, i find this rather odd, anyone had any interaction with it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The warnings on the side are to raise wareness, Caveat Emptor if you will. Unscrupolous buyers and sellers can be found through any means.

I like browsing through that site, always window shopping for a horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i understand that, i suppose if i think about it the warnings are having the right effecft in one way by making me wary about thinking of buying from their site although i dont think that would be their idea

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

There's lots of genuine ads on the site, but like everywhere there are plenty of bad ones too. The owners cannot monitor the ads as tightly as animal lovers would like but if you send them a link to an ad that you dont like the look of they will look at it and remove if necessary.

Thats about all you can do really besides being fully prepared, read up on the breed that you wish to buy/home, check other ads and see if there are multiple breeds for sale per person etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

As for donedeal.ie some are ok and some are not.
    When i do a search for puppys the adds on donedeal are the same as the other bad sites who are trying to sell.
    EG.Theres puppys advertised for sale from africa and places that i havent heard of are the ones to steer clear of.
    Also theres a lot of puppy farms around.
    For the sake of getting a good breed of dogs is best to go the IKC
    http://www.ikc.ie/index.php
    Theres also many dog shelters of dog in need of good homes is another option.IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'd second the rescue/shelter option, there are hundreds of dogs to choose from - from pups to strays to pedigrees. It's the only way you can be sure that you're not supporting a backyard breeder or a puppy farm, and you're saving a dogs life in the mean time!

www.paws.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

OP if you find an add for pups/dogs on that site that you are iterested in then I would suggest the following. Call the breeder and ask them is both sire and dam there to be viewed with the litter? Do they have all nessecery papers? (ikc papers,vac cert,mircochipping) Has both parents been cleared of any hereditery dieases that can be carried to pups? Where are they housed? What are the parents temperment like? Etc

If you are happy with the answers she/he provided then I would take it a next step and go to visit the breeder. There you will see for yourself the condition of both dam,sire and pups and get to talk more to the breeder. If she/he has nothing to hide they will answer all your questions or doubts and will have no probelm with you going to her house to see all dogs concerned. Ask to see all paperwork for both parents while you are there and if your happy with all that arrange a date to go collect a pup from the litter. Dont be rushed into taking a pup.

Like everyone else has said there are plenty of dogs in shelters/pounds that need help so if its just a pet your after i would suggest looking there first. I just wanted to answer the question you had asked,hope it has been of some help. All the best

thanks for all the replies, i had a quick look through a few of the rescue sites but im looking for a newfoundland and as i presumed they are not to be found

i looked on the irish kennel club website a couple of weeks ago and am in contact with the secetary of the newfoundland club of ireland

went to see them at a show in swords over the weekend, you gotta love the effort the owners were putting in trying to clean all the druell off the dogs face but alas to no avail :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

if your looking for a newfie get in touch with the ikc and the breed club. if you get a number from a site or the buy and sell always go and look at the set up of the breeder. make sure place is clean, hasnt got numerous litters about, generally suss him/her out and if your not 100% happy with the answers you get or the state of his kennells give it a miss.
    wait until you find a pup and breeder your happy with. sometimes that could meen waiting until a bitch comes into heat and is serviced but least you'll get good stuff.

im doing my research and keeping an eye out for where to get newfoundlands but i wont actually get one for a few months at least so if i have to wait for a new litter than thats what il do

i wouldnt go to a shelter for a ped newfi cos unless they have the papers of the dog and you can trace its history for sure, you wouldnt be sure its well bred. its sire and dam could be too closely related etc....

• Advertisement

Good to see your looking into things OP instead off jumping in head first. There was a recent thread on newfies and care,cost of them might be worth having a read threw ill post a link after this so you can get an idea of what living with one is like!

Funny enough when I went to get the link I realised it was infact yourself who had started the thread lol Sounds like you no what you need to,now just to find a reputable breeder!

Goodluck and cant wait for pictures when you do eventually get a pup (never seen a newfie pup not that they look like pups for long lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

whitser wrote: »
    i wouldnt go to a shelter for a ped newfi cos unless they have the papers of the dog and you can trace its history for sure, you wouldnt be sure its well bred. its sire and dam could be too closely related etc....

I have seen a number of newfies that were rescued from pounds who were fine dogs and went on to be good pets. Being in a pound has nothing to do with whether the dog is either well or badly bred sometimes dogs of this size are gien up as people can no longer afford to feed them. You could find the above problems with backyard breeders.

cobweb wrote: »
    I have seen a number of newfies that were rescued from pounds who were fine dogs and went on to be good pets. Being in a pound has nothing to do with whether the dog is either well or badly bred sometimes dogs of this size are gien up as people can no longer afford to feed them. You could find the above problems with backyard breeders.
    all i was saying is that you wouldnt be able to trace the lineage of the dog and therefore you couldnt be sure of its breeding. just cos a dog looks well doesnt mean its not carrying any genetic defects that can appear when parents are too closely related etc... also if you take a ped dog from a pound you dont know if its come from a puppy peddlers yard or not and these people breed for cash and never have the breeds interste at heart. i never suggested he buy from someone who was a peddler but from a breeder who had a good set up where the sire and dam can be seen and from someone who has the breeds interest at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you want to buy a particular breed, go through the Kennel Club, and make sure you see the pup with its mother.

A friend bought a pedigree pup, and was told she could see the pup with its mother, but in the end didn't - the breeder met her in a car park and handed over the puppy.

It was quite sleepy, and remained so for two days, then woke up and was crazy and neurotic.

She's had constant, constant problems with the dog - terrified when left alone, aggressive to visitors, attacks other dogs in the park, etc, etc - and it seems obvious to me that she bought from a puppy farm without realising it.

Pups from puppy farms are trouble, as well as the practice being cruel.

The problem in Ireland is such that breeders abroad are now *warned not to buy* pups in Ireland!

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Funny enough when I went to get the link I realised it was infact yourself who had started the thread lol Sounds like you no what you need to,now just to find a reputable breeder!

Goodluck and cant wait for pictures when you do eventually get a pup (never seen a newfie pup not that they look like pups for long lol)

haha yes i thought it was my thread u wer going to send me the link for

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Done Deals is like anything else there are good and bad on it .I advertise on it and am a reputable breeder.Its like everything else do your home work .Ask questions if the people who are selling dont know or answer your questions well look for another seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Morganna wrote: »
    Done Deals is like anything else there are good and bad on it .I advertise on it and am a reputable breeder.Its like everything else do your home work .Ask questions if the people who are selling dont know or answer your questions well look for another seller.
    not everyone will know who a reputable breeder on done deal imo.
    If your a reputable breeder why not be registered with the IKC and might get a better chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

well if you ask the right questions you will know .I have a prefix with the ikc and am rgistered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

If you want a pedigree pup, contact the kennel club and ask for a list of breeders

• Advertisement
Advertisement