Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a map into local history study

• 14-11-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

What is the best way to put a map into a local study? I need a street map which I may have to design myself as it is from the the 19th century and everything has changed and I dont know what the best way to go about about it is. The essay will be published so needs to look somewhat professional!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might want to try some GIS software, lookup the QGIS program

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Second the QGIS. While ArcGIS is the professional mapping tool, I find QGIS easier to worth with. Gretchen Peterson's book on GIS mapping is an excellent read. Also, the OSI has an Open Data page at https://www.osi.ie/about/open-data/ which might have some useful resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    What is the best way to put a map into a local study? I need a street map which I may have to design myself as it is from the the 19th century and everything has changed and I dont know what the best way to go about about it is. The essay will be published so needs to look somewhat professional!

I asked a man named Stephen Hannon in UCD's School of Geography to make such maps for me years ago using my data. He did a superb job and there are obviously no copyright issues in terms of publishing. There'll almost certainly be somebody else there (and in the other third-levels) doing that job so you could ring them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This link to UCD's online historic map collection may be of use...

https://digital.ucd.ie/maps/explorer/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement