Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scientology Protest Jan 25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Anahita wrote: »

Show them they are NOT welcome to use Ireland to promote their evil dangerous cult!!

There are no current vacancies for the position described above. The RCC hold exclusive rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Protest Scientology in Ireland

Saturday, January 25th 11am-5pm

Dublin Org

See: further details:
    www.anonireland.com

January 25th, 2014 from 11am to 5pm – ‘Church’ of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd, 64 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1

https://whyweprotest.net/community/t...reland.116240/

Show them they are NOT welcome to use Ireland to promote their evil dangerous cult!!

Just leave em

Don't know what I find more annoying

Scientology or the ones protesting against it

weisses wrote: »
    Just leave em

Don't know what I find more annoying

Scientology or the ones protesting against it

Why do people protest against it? It's a loopy religion! It's hardly on its own there though, every religion is loopy. Scientology is an easy target it seems because it is new. Why is what it teaches any more insane than any of the older, more established religions? Think about how Christianity would look if it had sprung up suddenly in the last 50 years without the proceeding millenniums of mass indoctrination and social power it has enjoyed. It would seem highly rational and logical as a new concept I am sure! I don't see why believing in aliens is any more insane than believing wafers turn to actual flesh after a priest has put a magic spell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But Scientology uses all sorts of manipulative tricks to brainwash people!

Catholicism on the other hand...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Why do people protest against it? It's a loopy religion! It's hardly on its own there though, every religion is loopy. Scientology is an easy target it seems because it is new. Why is what it teaches any more insane than any of the older, more established religions? Think about how Christianity would look if it had sprung up suddenly in the last 50 years without the proceeding millenniums of mass indoctrination and social power it has enjoyed. It would seem highly rational and logical as a new concept I am sure! I don't see why believing in aliens is any more insane than believing wafers turn to actual flesh after a priest has put a magic spell on it.

I'd rather see people to continue to protest against it, for two very valid reason:

1. To make as many people as possible aware that its run by nutcases, so the numbers stay down.
    2. To ensure it doesn't get religion and charitable status in Ireland

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd rather see people to continue to protest against it, for two very valid reason:

1. To make as many people as possible aware that its run by nutcases, so the numbers stay down.
    2. To ensure it doesn't get religion and charitable status in Ireland

A fair point. At least there's some hope with Scientology. We are a few thousand years too late to do anything to dissuade people from allowing themselves to be brainwashed by the rest of them.

Perhaps a big dose of Scientology is what Ireland needs to become truly secular? Perhaps one day if a reasonable percentage of Ireland's people, let's say 15%, identified as being Scientologists on the census then the Church of Scientology would start trying to influence the law of the land. Scientologist politicians would start trying to get their jibber-jabber taught in public schools as fact or alternatives to mainstream science etc. People would rally against this, citing that you can't change laws / facts to suit someone's religion. Then they might start applying the same logic to our many laws which are steeped in old school Catholic dogma.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »

Loopy doesn't describe them but if people want to join them leave em, My thought is that all the protest/opposition against religion/cult is starting to get religious itself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Loopy doesn't describe them but if people want to join them leave em, My thought is that all the protest/opposition against religion/cult is starting to get religious itself

So protesting/objecting to religion is itself religion?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Perhaps a big dose of Scientology is what Ireland needs to become truly secular? Perhaps one day if a reasonable percentage of Ireland's people, let's say 15%, identified as being Scientologists on the census then the Church of Scientology would start trying to influence the law of the land. Scientologist politicians would start trying to get their jibber-jabber taught in public schools as fact or alternatives to mainstream science etc. People would rally against this, citing that you can't change laws / facts to suit someone's religion. Then they might start applying the same logic to our many laws which are steeped in old school Catholic dogma.

I think generally the more religions there are the better, as the more secular a state has to be to accommodate all of them. At home for example the two largest religions would be Anglican and Catholic at around 15% of the population each. Both of them combined are outnumbered by people who don't identify with any religion. Christians outnumber people with no religion overall, but because there are so many different religions and branches of religions, any potential influence is totally watered down, and secularists outnumber any one religious group. The problems with religious influence here are caused by the fact there is really only one religion that people seem to subscribe to statistically whether they practice or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So we should leave them?

I'm not sure family's belong to people who have joined this "religion" and have stopped all communication with family and friends would very much disagree.

Neither am I sure that the people who have left this "religion" who have had their character assassinated by them would also feel the same....hmm character assassinated by a religious organization, where have i heard that one before? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think the protests are a good thing. They won't make a dent in persuading Scientologists to leave but it will keep the public aware that the organisation is dangerous.

It's only the institution I have an issue with, I think the surge in independent scientologists is a great thing because they have a focus on providing the same classes and crap for far cheaper/free than COS. It's kind of like open source scientology. With none of the emphasis on destroying its enemies and infiltrating governments.

So we should leave them?

I'm not sure family's belong to people who have joined this "religion" and have stopped all communication with family and friends would very much disagree.

Neither am I sure that the people who have left this "religion" who have had their character assassinated by them would also feel the same....hmm character assassinated by a religious organization, where have i heard that one before? ;)

I think there are plenty people (not all religious) who see a greater threat in anonymous then Scientology.

http://anoninsiders.net/how-to-join-anonymous-1527/

You will never be the same

And yes i think the fight against religion/cult is starting to look like a religion on its own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well at least you've found a way to feel smugly superior to both sides.

And yes i think the fight against religion/cult is starting to look like a religion on its own

You just want to label everything as a religion so its suits you don't you?,

I can tell you I've tried that with sport and it doesn't work. I tell everyone who has no interest in football that their into a new sport.

Much like what you are trying to do, it doesn't make sense and it doesn't make it a sport.,
    I think there are plenty people (not all religious) who see a greater threat in anonymous then Scientology.

You understand that anonymous is not any sort of religion right?
    Its just a group of people that decide to do different things now and then, kind of like 4chan users do at times.

You don't need to join anonymous to protest against a cult/religion.,

You just want to label everything as a religion so its suits you don't you?,

No i can use the word fanatics if that suits you better

And how would it suit me ? Other then having an opinion on the subject
    You understand that anonymous is not any sort of religion right?
    Its just a group of people that decide to do different things now and then, kind of like 4chan users do at times.,

You do realize you don't need to be in a religion to brainwash people.

I believe you could be in more trouble if you join Anonymous then the Scientology
    You don't need to join anonymous to protest against a cult/religion.,

No .. A Guy fawkes mask will do .... They are doing it for the lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So protesting/objecting to religion is itself religion?
    In much the same way as not believing in God is actually the same as having a belief in one, or however that piece of tautology usually goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

Why people do not protest against talking snakes, walking on water, talking bushes and more unbelievable nonsense...

kult wrote: »
    Why people do not protest against talking snakes, walking on water, talking bushes and more unbelievable nonsense...
    Anti-Scientology protestors generally aren't protesting the beliefs, they're protesting the organisation itself.

For its policy of disconnection, quasi-prison (Rehabilitation Project Force) and involvement in numerous crimes.

Christianity is a history of crime, death, raping, destruction, brainwashing etc... every religion is the same, divides people and creates wars, no religion no problem, easy...

• Advertisement

kult wrote: »
    Christianity is a history of crime, death, raping, destruction, brainwashing etc... every religion is the same, divides people and creates wars, no religion no problem, easy...
    Hmmm, yeah.

But forcing people to give up religion wouldn't be any better than the behaviour you're talking about. You're just replacing dogma with dogma.

Protesting because people believe something different to you is like me protesting a mushroom farm because I don't like mushrooms. If the mushroom farm kidnaps people and forces them to pick the mushrooms for no pay, then maybe I'll protest the mushroom farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

I don't protest the Scientology organisation because of their beliefs. I protest them because:
    - They have ruined countless lives.
    - They have financially bankrupted countless people.
    - They have destroyed families.
    - They continuously target and harass people who expose their actions.

It doesn't matter whether you are in Dublin or Detroit, wherever the Scientology organisation is you have the same trail of broken families, financial exploitation and ruined lives. The extent to which this organisation ruins lives is much greater than many people realise, and certainly much more than those who think the issue has anything to do with beliefs or religion.

When you meet people who can tell you their personal experiences of the organisation, ranging from coerced abortions to being driven totally suicidal, you start to ignore the 'loopiness' of the beliefs and start to realise that this organisation is a money-making racket that exploits humanity and ruins lives.

Every time I hear or see someone bring up crap like "....i think the fight against religion/cult is starting to look like a religion on its own..." I cringe at their ignorance - and then contemplate at how ignorance of that type has allowed such an abusive manipulative dangerous organisation to continue operating.

We held a conference in Dublin in 2012 where ex-members and families shared their stories:
    http://exscientologistsireland.org/wp/introduction/

Compare the testimonies given at the conference with claptrap like this: "....i think the fight against religion/cult is starting to look like a religion on its own..."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

But Scientology uses all sorts of manipulative tricks to brainwash people!

Catholicism on the other hand...

1268026104_an_illustrated_hisory_of_scientology.gif

Actually think Catholicism is more sensible. Though that may be biased by my experience of being a Catholic. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Anti-Scientology protestors generally aren't protesting the beliefs, they're protesting the organisation itself.

For its policy of disconnection, quasi-prison (Rehabilitation Project Force) and involvement in numerous crimes.

Exactly.
    http://www.lisamcpherson.org

If you're comfortable with their 'leader' Captain Dickhead Miscavige saying that Ireland is awash with Scientologists, as shown in the video...great! Some of us don't want to be associated with it.

This is a thread about Scientology; not about any other religion/cult/whatever.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Protest Scientology in Ireland

Saturday, January 25th 11am-5pm

Dublin Org

See: further details:
    www.anonireland.com

January 25th, 2014 from 11am to 5pm – ‘Church’ of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd, 64 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1

I wish you all the best but not really sure what you are protesting to be honest. I have nothing but negativity towards Scientology but people have the liberty and the right to make their own life-choices.

Here is a far more protest-worthy issue in my opinion.

Oxfam: Richest 1% own nearly half of world's wealth

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/20/davos-2014-oxfam-85-richest-people-half-world/4655337/

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

http://anoninsiders.net/how-to-join-anonymous-1527/

You will never be the same

Weisses,

If ever you can you should read this book. It's by Chris Hedges, a hugely experienced war reporter and Pullitzer prize winner. He was researching for a book he was writing exposing the lunatic Christian fundamentalists and during this he came across the lunatic atheist fundamentalists, like Sam Harris - so he wrote a book on it.

http://www.lifeongoldplates.com/2010/02/review-chris-hedges-when-atheism.html
    These atheists embrace a belief system as intolerant, chauvinistic and bigoted as that of religious fundamentalists. They propose a route to collective salvation and the moral advancement of the human species through science and reason" instead of Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

Pat Kenny interviewing Zabrina Shortt...

Pat Kenny: The Church of Scientology, it’s belief system. I mean, L. Ron Hubbard. I remember when I was in America years and years ago, I was given some of the books and I read them and I thought they were nonsense to be quite honest.

Zabrina Shortt: Ok. That again is absolutely your prerogative to believe that. Ahm, everybody’s open to having their own opinion about everything that they feel out there, whether it’s religion or a political viewpoint. But I do admire the fact that you would read them for yourself and decide for yourself.

http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/transcript-of-pat-kennys-interview-with-zabrina-shortt-on-newstalk/

"I don't protest the Scientology organisation because of their beliefs. I protest them because:
    - They have ruined countless lives.
    - They have financially bankrupted countless people.
    - They have destroyed families.
    - They continuously target and harass people who expose their actions."

This is what any other religion does to people anyway. If people are dumb enough to believe any kind of a religion then let them. Natural selection is great, society is getting stronger when weak beans...

Jernal wrote: »
    1268026104_an_illustrated_hisory_of_scientology.gif

Actually think Catholicism is more sensible. Though that may be biased by my experience of being a Catholic. :o

I think the Bible easily matches the Scientology story in terms of zaniness. Talking horses, people being brought back from the dead... heck, the entire planet floods at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think the Bible easily matches the Scientology story in terms of zaniness. Talking horses, people being brought back from the dead... heck, the entire planet floods at one point.

I said Catholicism. Catholics, even Pope, don't think most of those stories literally happened!:p

Advertisement