Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to ski Boot Fitting

• 23-11-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭

Guys some of the boot fitting advice I have seen on here is hillarious so here is a rough guide to how it works and a few tips to look out for when having them done.

There are good bootfitters in Ireland

You need to be honest with yourself and the fitter.

Dont liste to bad advice there is lots of it when ti comes to boots.

Important factors

Last of the boot in realtion to your foot

What your experience and expectations are

What type of sking will you be doing

1. DON’T LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS
    Boots not only have to match your ability, they must match with your foot and leg shape. That means your mates reccomendation could be the worst thing in your life and make you want to kill yourself rather than put them back on. Obviously living in Ireland getting a chance to try and buy is difficult so use a store with good boot fitters or with a satisfaction or money back garuntee

As a Salomon rep I always reccomend the following.

"Oh you are an advanced skier doing a bit of everything well what you want is somthing along the lines of the Impact 10 or equivelant. It may not be the right boot for you but the charateristics in terms of Flex and performance are what you will be looking for in what ever boot is a best for for you."

2. TAKE YOUR TIME—LOT’S OF IT
    Buying ski boots is a time-consuming process that too many people rush through. Give yourself a good 2-3 hours minimum on the day you are going to buy them and bring a paper or somthing to read while you are going throught the process.When you have found a boot you and the boot fitter think is right spend 20 min just walking around in it and flexing it before any customisation or a decision to buy takes place.

3. Ini mini mine mo
    Try different models and different sizes of the same model on your left and right feet. Keep the “winner” on and pit it against the next boot. Remember, though, your feet are probably not identical and may vary in size so when you find “winners,” try on both boots. Ask lots of questions and give the fitter plenty of information and feedback to work with.
    4. SHOP WHEN NOBODY’S AROUND
    For the best boot fit service, visit shops midweek or at off-hours. Less customers means more personal face on face time with your fitter. Feet can swell up to a half-size during skiing so size to fit them at their largest. For the best fit, shop in the afternoon or evening or walk around the for 20-20 minutes to make sure your feet are at their largest before you try.Ask lots of questions and give the fitter plenty of information and feedback to work with
    5. TOO BIG IS A BIG PROBLEM
    Many people buy or are fit too big. A good fitting boot feels tight out of the box and may remain very snug during the first few days of skiing. This is normal and the liner will pack down after a few days on the snow to get that perfect fit. This does not mean that you should not be able to feel your toes for the first few runs but there may be some slight pressure points on the boot.

To tight is better than to big and to have your feet swimming around as this will increase the chances of serious injuries especially breaks
    6. SHELL FIT IS PARAMOUNT
    It is realitivley easy to shim, trim or stretch boots but this type of shell work is best kept to a minimum unless the boot has a shell designed to be streched.
    A good way to check the shell fit, remove the liner and put your foot in the shell. Slide your foot forward until your big toe touches the front. A finger to a finger-and-a-half of space between your heel and the shell will give you a good snug fit when the liner is reinserted, assuming no other parts of your foot are touching the shell. Any decent boot fitter should do this before anything else.
    If you feel the shell touching your feet anywhere else during this process let the bootfitter know as this may cause problems later.

7. BEWARE OF SHORTLASTED LINERS
    If a boot has a good shell fit but feels unusually tight with the liner reinserted, have your boot tech check for a “short lasted” liner. Manufacturers spec a small gap between the toe of the liner and the shell to ensure liner toe boxes don’t become crumpled when they’re inserted into the shell at the factory. Sometimes, though, liners can be faulty and slightly shorter than they should be.

Footbeds are the icing on the cake and will probably be recommended by every boot tech. Spend the extra cash and get them you will thank me for this advice :D

8. THE CUFF IS IMPORTANT

Boots have high cuffs as it is essential for controlling your skis. You’ll ski better in a boot that contours snugly along your lower leg. The cuff should wrap snugly with your buckle bails set somewhere near the beginning to middle of the catch ladders. If you need to put your buckles on the last catch the boots are not right. Alwasy around the midle of the catch ladders
    Most buckles have macro and micro adjustments to help get a better fit around the fore foot The Cuff Angle (Canting) Is set at what the manafacturers consider to be the average. Sadly no one person is average and canting from time to time will require tweaking to garuntee a better interface between ski and boot
    9. BEWARE OF MARKED SIZES
    Size is only as a guideline. The sole length and inner cavities of supposedly similarly sized models can vary significantly. Liner styles, constructions and materials used can affect fit for the same manafacturer on diffrent :eek:

10. Be Honest and give feedback

You are the most important part in bootfitting be honest with the fitter and it will work out better for you . Saying you are an advanced skier after 3 weeks on skis will make you life a hell as you will end up with the wrong boots. If it hurts tell the fitter. If it is to loose tell the fitter. They are not the ones that will have to live with the boots.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks Fattes...
    In an earlier thread you corrected me when I said someone would need a stiffer flex when becoming a more advanced skier.:o
    Since then I have quoted your example of the instructor skiing on an 80 flex boot etc

However after reading the above advice maybe you can allay my fears.... I bought boots in london last month, and bought http://www.summitonline.com/mens-ski-boots/c1000000792/atomic-hawx-110-ski-boots-2010-p165018.html?utm_source=Shopping.com&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=CSE&Shopping.com_CSE I spent loads of time in the shop, midweek, and tried on loads of boots, got the footbed, heat treated liner etc.

My slight worry has been the 110 flex I am not expert-advanced, I can ski reds comfortably and get down black just OK. I told this to the fitter. The reason I chose these was that
    1. they were the most comfortable, I have a skinny leg, ankle and foot.
    2. probably mistakenly thought I could Ski my way into them this season will be ski holiday 7 & 8
    Saying you are an advanced skier after 3 weeks on skis will make you life a hell as you will end up with the wrong boots.

What do you think ?

P.S. Since then my wife got boots in SNOW & ROCK, I would have no problem recomending these guys for boot fittings, I had a day to kill in London, decided to go just for the look !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

am i bovveredThe example of the instructor on the 80 flex boots is probably the opposite of what happend you. The instructor is an incredible skier but very light and not an aggresive skier therfore they found it difficult to work stiffer boots.

I am guessing you are prob around the 6 foot mark and way 80kg up? Because you have narrow feet most of the boots with a narrow last tend to have a high flex index.

110 flex boots will be grand for a 7 week skier if they have well developed legs or the weight/strenght to flex them.

If you do find them to stiff most boots have bolts around the ankles that can be removed which will soften up the flex by about 10-15% (In your case just on the white bit near the ankle and the joint of the plastic). Other boots also have plates in the back that can be changed to make the boot stiffer as you advance.

Just wear them around the house for a bit flexing into them to see how they feel. The cuts in the Hawks are not just there for show they apparently make the boots easer to flex dont get to panicked.

There is not really a set model for boot fitting it is all about taking all the information and feedback and picking the right boot.

Let me know if you need anything else

Thanks again..
    I am guessing you are prob around the 6 foot mark and way 80kg up? Because you have narrow feet most of the boots with a narrow last tend to have a high flex index.

I am 37 years old:cool:, 6ft high, at the beginning of september I weighed 82kg, I have been on a big fitness push ( run 5kg everyday + healthy eating ) now weigh 72kg, I have lost the belly :pac: but also some muscle, between now and Jan 12th I want to build up the muscle side.
    This has all been because I want to improve my skiing this season.
    Just wear them around the house
    I have been doing this, despite the laughing of my children. They are very comfortable. We went for a lesson in the http://www.skicentre.ie/ they felt great there, but it was the first time so quite basic movements in the boots.

Thanks again for the advice

We went for a lesson in the http://www.skicentre.ie/ they felt great there, but it was the first time so quite basic movements in the boots.

They still teaching people to lift there ski and stem:confused:

we got as far as moving up to the top of the "slope" and plough turning back down, the lesson was good though, we just walked into the centre to check it out, I wanted to try on the boots and Kilternan was closed.

• Advertisement

I know allot of the guys that teach there and they are a really good bunch of instructors.

The mat has its limitations and advantages. Good for somthings not so good for others. Just like everything else I guess Kilternan included.:D

Its not all they make it out to be but it is worth a go. The Instructor was top class, the most experienced skier I have ever met, lots of tips.
    "Skiing" on the mat itself was grand and I will go back again for another lesson. I want to get on to the dry slope before we head off in Jan, but only could get up to Dublin on a midweek daytime and I think Kilternan is closed then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ftroop

Hi, I know you where talking about boot fitting a long tome ago, but I am from Northern Ireland and i am doing a ski season this year. I was just looking to know where the good boot fitters where in Ireland. Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I believe that MacSki have been mentioned in the positive previously round these parts.

ftroop: Best place in Dublin is Snow and Rock in the Dundrum centre, Dan and Ian are both top quality when it comes to ski boot fitting

As below McSki have a great reputation, have never used them myself but know plenty of people that have and they always give positive feedback in relation to the service.

If you are doing a season Spash the cash and buy some high quality footbeds for the boots. Would look at something comfortable if you are going to be wearing them all day every day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 markhenry5

Fattes. Very good. A very comprehensive guide to boot fitting. I do think people are put in boots that are way too stiff for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Does anyone know of anywhere in Ireland that stocks Lowa boots? I had a rental pair last year and after trying on a fair few pairs these were by far the most comfortable for me. I've looked on their website but there is no info on shops that stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skyhawk

robinph wrote: »
    I believe that MacSki have been mentioned in the positive previously round these parts.

Yep, they are excellent, well worth the trip. Look for John or Neil, they have lots of knowledge and experience. I bought custom performance boots there, needed bit of tweaking/modifications to get them right, and now they are perfect.
    If you are buying boots, I would also recommend that you get custom foot-beds fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

fattes do you have much knowledge on snowboard boots?
    i'm in the market for a pair. where's the best place to buy?

thanks

Derv; I have no idea about board boots, There are some very knowledgeable boarders on here.

I am sure if you start a thread they may be able to help.

I know TK Maxx are selling Board boots at the moment, no idea about the quality etc.

Would Try Snow & Rock, Great outdoors and Irishsnowboarders.com for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Snowbride 2011

Hi,

I've always had problems with ski boots and need some advice

I'm short in stature and my calves seem to start at my ankles! As such, I need a very wide boot. After many years of rental trauma, I eventually bought a pair of Technica Vento 8. These were selected as they were the only ones I could physically close (just about, I still can't close the top clasp unless I've had them on for a week), plus they are far too big compared to my shoe size...alas, I saw this thread 4 years too late

The boots have now paid for themselves so I now think its time for a new and hopefully better fitting pair. Do you know of any brand that do a wider leg boot and if they are stocked anywhere in Ireland?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Hi Snowbride 2011, sounds like I have the same problems as you. I found a great pair of rental boots earlier this year and came home and decided to try and purchase the boots in Snow and Rock in Dundrum. The guys in there are great and they told me that the boots I rented new out of the box were not the right boots for me. Turns out the rental ones had been stretched due to use. They recommended Technica ones as they are the widest boot they stock. I ended up getting Tecnica Viva Phoenix 80.

I would recommend calling into Snow and Rock and chatting with the guys and seeing what they can do for you.

I've also rented Lowa boots away. These were really comfortable and seemed wider than other boots but I don't think they are stocked in Ireland.

Snowbride2011;

Your problem is not the boot Last (Width) as this will apply to the forefoot, from what you have said the issue is with the Cuff of the boot and the spoiler.

Nearly all brands to a range of boots with a last from 92 for race to 110 (Comfrot Fit) so you will be looking at the boots aimed at the comfort end of the market. Do not go to the shop with a specific boot in mind more an objective and an awarness of previous issues. There are boots with Narrow last and cuffs that can be wider.

If you have narrow feet a wide boot will cause tons of problems as your foot will be moving all over the place. Focus on the Cuff for the width.

Snow and Rock or McSki in Belfast are your best bets with a wide range of boots and good fitters. They may need to grind the cuff of the boot to make some more space and really open out the micro adjustment on the buckles.

Most women's boots are designed to accomidate women's more athletic Calf muscles. If i was you I would be looking for something with adjustable cuff buckles and Spoiler to give you as many options for fitting as possible.

Happy Shopping.

Wow..ok, I think I've managed to decipher what Last, Cuff and Spolier are :D

Thanks for the responses guys

Sorry didnt meant to get all technical and carried away!

Basically Cuff & Spoiler are the upright piece of the boot on the leg

Last is the Width of the boot across the middle (Half way between instep and toes)

Try Pascal in Snow & Rock knows his stuff and is a decent bloke.

• Advertisement

Hey, just an update. I did indeed get new boots. Snow & Rock, specifically Pascal was fantasic...I would recommend. Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Where is a good place to buy custom fitted ski boots? Would prefer Galway, but can go to Dublin for better selection or fit or price...
    Mailed Great Outdoors in Dublin but still no reply. Anywhere else I can visit there?

Gatica wrote: »
    Where is a good place to buy custom fitted ski boots? Would prefer Galway, but can go to Dublin for better selection or fit or price...
    Mailed Great Outdoors in Dublin but still no reply. Anywhere else I can visit there?

Gatica, Snow and Rock in the Dundrum Centre, Pascal is an excellent boot fitter, good range too, McSki, Belfast, are your other options

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Around how much would custom fitted boots in Snow and Rock be? Considering doing a season next year after catching the ski bug over the last two years, so figure I will need boots and a pair of skis. Also, any time of year that might be best for heading in and getting some discounts? Cheers Fattes, good advice here and on snowheads (where I looked originally, forgetting this forum existed!)

Jasnah wrote: »
    Around how much would custom fitted boots in Snow and Rock be? Considering doing a season next year after catching the ski bug over the last two years, so figure I will need boots and a pair of skis. Also, any time of year that might be best for heading in and getting some discounts? Cheers Fattes, good advice here and on snowheads (where I looked originally, forgetting this forum existed!)

How long is a piece of string! Depends on the boots that best suit you and what type of skiing you do. Probably looking at 220-450 depending on the boot, if you are doing a season, get something comfy! You will be in them a lot!

Pascal is the man at S&R, end of season they do a pretty big sale and early next season Sep, to clear stock! As for skis! If you are doing a season you will probably pick up a pair in resort cheap that will do you for a first pair! I know here you can pick them up from CHF 100- 250 for a really good pair the more expensive even have touring skins and binding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

+1 for Pascal, top bloke.

If I was doing a season, I'd probably buy them in resort, some shops will have a seasonaire discount and if you need them tweaked you can get it done in the same shop rather than being hundreds of miles from where you bought them.

I bought a pair in the salomon shop in whistler (out of season when there was no snow) and had problems with the fit. It's been nothing but hassle trying to get it resolved with the shop since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi,
    I bought ski boots while on holidays in Soll around 10 or 12 years ago. They are Tecnica boots and initially they were uncomfortable but after a refit in the shop and again a few years later they are fine.
    My skiing has improved a good bit over the last few years and I also find the boots fine to wear most of the time.
    Have ski-boots moved on much in the last 10 year? I'm guessing mine were fairly basic boots. They only have three clamps where most now seem to have 4.
    Would it be worth my while upgrading to improve my skiing and comfort further?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought ski boots while on holidays in Soll around 10 or 12 years ago. They are Tecnica boots and initially they were uncomfortable but after a refit in the shop and again a few years later they are fine.
    My skiing has improved a good bit over the last few years and I also find the boots fine to wear most of the time.
    Have ski-boots moved on much in the last 10 year? I'm guessing mine were fairly basic boots. They only have three clamps where most now seem to have 4.

Last time I bought boots - 2/3 years ago - I rented several different pairs until I found a pair I liked. It was a lot of to and fro but in the end it was worth it. I've a strange foot shape and found it hard to get one that was comfortable yet snug enough for control.

I went back to the same shop the next year and said I wanted to buy what I rented the previous year - was about €100 cheaper as it was last years model but have been happy ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought my boot during the summer and most boots in S&R had heat molding shells, the boots i bought didn't fit too great before molding, 30 min later and its like putting on a tailored suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

stecleary wrote: »
    I bought my boot during the summer and most boots in S&R had heat molding shells, the boots i bought didn't fit too great before molding, 30 min later and its like putting on a tailored suit.

I rented a pair of boots in Switzerland and really liked them. I asked if they would sell them to me but they asked a lot of money, considering they were 2 yr old model, which I wouldn't mind as they were in fantastic condition.(I googled the price and they were much cheaper new).
    So now I'm finding trouble finding the same model as they have been replaced or updated.
    I'm wondering should I go back and pay for the ones I liked and was comfortable in or go and have a pair fitted?
    I'm just worried that I'll have to break in a new pair (or they break me in) and what if they're not as good? I've only ever rented and never had them properly or custom fitted.
    Any advice please??

Advertisement