Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curve - what’s it all about then

• 03-07-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭

You're the boss.

Managing your money just got a lot easier. With Curve, you get real-time alerts that tell you how much you’ve spent (and in which currency).

We also show you how you’re spending to help you budget. And if you use the wrong card to pay, you can Go Back in Time and change it. With Curve you’re in complete control. Brilliant.

Security
    Simple and Safe.

Curve is safer than carrying all your cards with you. We don’t store your card numbers in the app, your information is encrypted with military-grade security.

We never ever share your information with retailers. Instantly lock your Curve Card or call us if you lose it and we’ll fix things.

Besides protecting against fraud, Curve now offers the Curve Customer Protection as standard for up to £100,000: an added layer between you and unscrupulous sellers

Get instant insights

Curve helps you take back control of your spending by showing you rich insights instantly in the App
    All your cards in one

Add unlimited debit and credit cards to your Curve App and choose which one you want to pay with from the App using your Curve Card
    Save on travel with Curve.

Spend your money on adventures, not fees.
    Use any of your cards when you travel, and save up to 5% on hidden bank fees.*

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/01/new-curve-card-lets-you-connect-your-existing-cards-and-use-it-for-spending---but-heres-what-you-need-to-watch-out-for/

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm using it a couple of months and it has made my wallet a lot lighter in that other cards can be left at home ;)

Easy to use app, easy to manage cards and decent analytics.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Have you found any drawbacks so far ?

None yet, apart from me forgetting to switch the active card in the app.
    Tried to pay for something from N26 and was a few minutes of confusion on my part before I figured out that my money was on Revolut and switched the active card.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've wondered about Curve for a while, seems handy.

Assuming the transactions just come up as CURVE on whatever account's transaction history you select to charge, ie the real retailer doesn't appear unless you use the app?

The transactions show up on your actual payment acount as CRV*Retailer*
    And on the curve app as the retailer itself.

It's very handy for receipts too. If you have one card that's business/expense specific you can set up email receipts.

Thanks for starting the thread.

I have been hearing bits about it but only last night I actually looked into it and signed up. I have about 6 bank cards and along with other cards for different things I just dont carry them all but very handy to have access to them all too which is making curve very appealing.

I use revolut as my main card and now that thats on apple pay I dont see curve being used for everything (unless they introduce apple pay) but it certainly looks appealing to have it.

Also does anyone have the curve black? Am I correct in saying that the gadget insurance and travel insurance is included in the monthly sub? If so I'd nearly consider upgrading just for that as I'm paying more for phone insurance alone and it also appears the 1% cash back is not just for 3 months on curve?

The lack of apple pay is a big downside though.

Are there any hidden charges and how do the exchange rates stack up if you do use it abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Corbally76

I am using curve for over a month and it has been mainly positive. Using it with two credit cards, revolut and one debit card. Back in time is a useful feature. Car insurance was due at the end of the month and I kicked out the transaction for another 50 odd days by switching the transaction to a different card. Using euro transaction to euro card is free, no transaction fees. You can only spend the equivalent of £500 if doing FX transactions but you can also take out the equivalent of £200 per month at an ATM. Useful if using in conjunction with revolut etc. Had one or two transactions declined so I'd never travel with just a curve card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Corbally76 wrote: »
    Back in time is a useful feature. Car insurance was due at the end of the month and I kicked out the transaction for another 50 odd days by switching the transaction to a different card.

How does that actually work? Presumably it charges the amount to the second card and issues a refund to the original card from the second one?

I couldn't see the point of this but in theory you could keep swapping between two credit cards..

PaulKK wrote: »
    How does that actually work? Presumably it charges the amount to the second card and issues a refund to the original card from the second one?

I couldn't see the point of this but in theory you could keep swapping between two credit cards..

It’s limited to one switch to stop this.

I can see it as being quite useful. Similar to the other poster my car insurance is due before the end of this month. I normally pay it in full on the cc and then pay for it over 2 months so I spread the cost across two salary payments. With curve I’ll be able to extend this out further by paying for it from my current account then once it gets into August move it to my cc and then I don’t have to clear the cc until the end of September (to avoid paying interest).

If I paid with the cc at the end of July I’d have to clear the balance by the end of August.

Anyone have any difficulty getting their BOI and EBS accounts verified? Revolut and N26 I got the code instantly and KBC took a few days but my BOI one only ever showed “curve” and no code and now the temp charge has disappeared, nothing at all has showed up on my ebs accounts and it’s been nearly a week since I started the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

PaulKK wrote: »

You can go back in time only once for one transaction within 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I’ve been using it about 7 months now as my main card, from a large selection. It works fine / I keep going back to it.

I have noticed that the POS transaction is a second or two longer than normal, as Curve check real-time if you have funds to support the transaction.

Lack of Apple Pay is a pain (especially as Revolut offers it)

Back in time is handy, as is the ability to generate a receipt for each transaction - especially as it shows exchange rate if applicable which is needed for claiming expenses.

I thought I’d have problems on aircraft as it can’t check real time if I have funds on my chosen card but in fact it hasn’t proven an issue.

Overall quite satisfied with it. Ideal for people that have multiple cards for multiple purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

I am with Curve since May 2017 and it is one of the best financial tool introduced in the last years. It provides even more benefits and flexibility with underlying cards in different currencies from different EU countries, if you have them ;)

AMEX support was great but it did not last long and I would not expect to see AMEX on my Curve ever again in the future.
    Mastercard & Visa cards are fully supported and I have never had issues with using them. The only drawback is a lack of up to date pictures of some of the underlying cards.
    Diners Club cards are not supported at all. DC doesn't offer private cards in all EU countries and this includes UK market which is why Dc support isn't on a priority list on Curve's roadmap.

Initial Curve card spending limits aren't relatively high but can be increased in the future. Enhanced limit for ATM withdrawal of £1000 or equivalent in different currency is more than enough. Once the limit is reached, Curve card cannot be used.

Go Back in Time is one of the unique and great features of Curve but I suppose it should be used only when really needed. It certainly generates additional costs for Curve. I would say, that an excessive use of Go Back in Time would have been treated as a system abuse.

Worldwide Travel Insurance and Electronic Gadget Insurance offered with Black/Metal subscriptions are OK, nothing exceptional. Travel insurance may be found cheaper elsewhere or get it with some credit cards for free.
    Rental car collision damage waiver insurance - not yet available for non UK residents
    Medical travel insurance - not yet available for non UK residents

Curve Rewards, Curve Cash etc. It's always great to get some cashback for transactions made with your card.

Generally speaking, Curve is the only one card in my wallet along with my backup card on Google Play.
    I think, once Black trial subscription is over I will jump on paid subscription to support Curve even more. It is fully worth it.
    The Curve has definetly changed the game on the payment cards market.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got my Curve card today, used it twice with 2 different cards. Got some Amazon cash back as well. Google Pay integration would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Myself and my partner currently use a N26 account for our day to day spending. She uses the debit card and I use Google Pay because they don't do joint accounts and only offer one physical card.

Would this card be good as a backup for me to use as a physical card for my N26 account if a place doesn't accept Google Pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I used my curve card in the UK this week. They don't charge foreign currency fees.

For example

£149 on my AvantCard cost me €163.83 plus €4.34 fee so €168.17

On xe.com £149 = €162

Using the curve card.

£130.40 on Curve cost me €142.97 in total.

On xe.com £130.40 = €142.55

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This curve work with Google pay?

lawred2 wrote: »
    This curve work with Google pay?

nope, nor Apple Pay.

They have it on their roadmap, but no development from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

This is interesting so I downloaded the app. Added my PTSB credit card no issue but wouldn't take my PTSB debit card - said to contact retailer and say I'm trying to add to curve?

Also if I buy from Amazon, say, do I need to load it (similar to Revolut) or:

- work away as normal with my credit or debit
    - add Revolut and use that as normal
    - either or

Thanks!

Also - can you only select 3 retailers for cashback at once? If so can you simply switch then in app before a purchase?

Lastly - is this cashback stackable with the likes of TopCashBack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Also - can you only select 3 retailers for cashback at once? If so can you simply switch then in app before a purchase?

Lastly - is this cashback stackable with the likes of TopCashBack?

On the free plan you get 3 retailers for 3 months, no switch

Dont know what top cash back is so cant help on that one

On your previous question re amazon, if you're paying with your curve card via revolut you need to have money on your revolut but if your using your normal card that isnt prepaid just spend away

Also to note on the PTSB debit card situation, I have used mine with my Curve account without any problem for over a year.

Anyone keeping an eye on curves upcoming crowdfunding?

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Also to note on the PTSB debit card situation, I have used mine with my Curve account without any problem for over a year.

Anyone keeping an eye on curves upcoming crowdfunding?

Ditto with the PTSB debit card.
    Works fine for me.

Topcashback is stackable so far at least.

On the crowdfunding.
    I am keeping a weather eye on it.
    If it's more than just the "investor" branded card, U may go in on it.

Ideally up the cashback limit to that of a pay account or a roadmap for equity/dividend earning and conversion.

I've already voted for which card design I prefer.

That is strange re my PTSB debit so. No idea what's up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

No problem with PTSB,Revolut - 3 cards,Transferwise,Monese and the new Bunq Travel card.

Tried to use my curve card yesterday for a transaction of a few hundred euro and it gave an error that the person working their nor I ever saw before can’t even remember what it was. Had to use another Revolut (which I had to to an instant top up on as I had no where near enough in my balance). Annoyed me a bit as I was planning to use curve to pay for the transaction on my debit card and then switch it to my credit card in a few days when it goes past the cut off for spending for the month and this getting an extra month of free credit.

Tried to use my curve card yesterday for a transaction of a few hundred euro and it gave an error that the person working their nor I ever saw before can’t even remember what it was. Had to use another Revolut (which I had to to an instant top up on as I had no where near enough in my balance). Annoyed me a bit as I was planning to use curve to pay for the transaction on my debit card and then switch it to my credit card in a few days when it goes past the cut off for spending for the month and this getting an extra month of free credit.

Did Curve pop up any error message why it failed?
    I have made the mistake a few times of leaving my Curve set to my Revolut, and ther enot being enough cash on my Revolut to fund whatever the transaction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Only finding out about Curve now.

Re Curve Cash, I see lots of retailers/services that operate in Ireland (eg Just Eat, Aldi) but do Irish purchases qualify or is it only the UK purchases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Only finding out about Curve now.

Re Curve Cash, I see lots of retailers/services that operate in Ireland (eg Just Eat, Aldi) but do Irish purchases qualify or is it only the UK purchases?

Aldi Qualifies, tested it on sunday,, got 31c back

Dardania wrote: »
    Did Curve pop up any error message why it failed?
    I have made the mistake a few times of leaving my Curve set to my Revolut, and ther enot being enough cash on my Revolut to fund whatever the transaction is.

No, nothing on curve at all didn’t give any indication that a transaction was even attempted. Was definitely on the correct card also as I double checked before hand.

Anyone thinking of investing in curve?

The investor cards look pretty cool, the metal in particular!

Edit: Also another failed transaction today for a few hundred I again wanted to do a switcharoo to my credit card in a few days. card got a normal “declined” this time twice both with chip and pin and they also tried to enter the card number to try that way as the person working there was interested in the card. Getting annoying at this stage.

I’ve successfully used it in aldi and dunnes as well as amazon using either N26 or Revolut as the underlying card. It’s failed with ebs as my boi card now. Not sure if this is coincidence or if the Irish cards aren’t playing ball.

Edit2: just tapped the card for a few euro three with boi as the chosen card so not an issue on a small transaction. Are there transaction limits, I was only spending 700 euro earlier wouldn’t have thought that exceeded any limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I put in for £1000.00. Anyone else gamble on it?

Advertisement