Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more nimbyism in Chapelizod ***Read Mod Note in OP***

• 12-02-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

"Residents seek injunction to stop work on Chapelizod social housing site"

I get so annoyed by this. i wonder how many of these same residents voted for a party that would address the housing issue, but are opposed to social housing near their homes.

Dying to see which of the local TDs are in their corner!

Mod Note 20/2 8:14pm

Folks over the last few days this thread has descended into a pit of social housing bashing/defending which has completely drowned out the original topic.

Rather than see the thread closed, please limit any new posts to matters directly relating to the proposed Chapelizod development.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost? It would be useful if there was an article or report so people could see why they are objecting.

Coolock residents are rightly concerned with the plans for development there. Huge build to let apartments on the site of a former employer in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The houses are not going to drop 20% because some social housing is near.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost? It would be useful if there was an article or report so people could see why they are objecting.

Coolock residents are rightly concerned with the plans for development there. Huge build to let apartments on the site of a former employer in the area.
    It's only assigned a value when want to sell, until then it's a home. Some of those concerned in Coolock would be living in former social housing that they bought. Just had a five storey go up beside me and another one of nine planned quite close by. I'm OK with both.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's only assigned a value when want to sell, until then it's a home. Some of those concerned in Coolock would be living in former social housing that they bought. Just had a five storey go up beside me and another one of nine planned quite close by. I'm OK with both.

No it has a value straight away for any financing you might want. It doesn't matter when the loss is actually realised it is a permanent loss and mostly increase in monetary value if not a percentage value.

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean other have to. You didn't understand the immediate effect that others would notice straight away.

The houses are not going to drop 20% because some social housing is near.

It has happened and will happen again.There are huge houses on the Ballymun road that are worth a lot less because of the name of the road. Meanwhile houses smaller and further along what is effectively the same road selling for 40% more. The residents have spent years trying to rename the road as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It has happened and will happen again.There are huge houses on the Ballymun road that are worth a lot less because of the name of the road. Meanwhile houses smaller and further along what is effectively the same road selling for 40% more. The residents have spent years trying to rename the road as a result.

There is no way the drop is that high.

So where do you build them then? Under the sea? On the moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭meijin

So where do you build them then? Under the sea? On the moon?

simple - NIMBY!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No it has a value straight away for any financing you might want. It doesn't matter when the loss is actually realised it is a permanent loss and mostly increase in monetary value if not a percentage value.

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean other have to. You didn't understand the immediate effect that others would notice straight away.
    No lack of understanding at all I just value it as a home and a place I am happy to live. When or if I sell it'll be to move to another home. I am also happy to welcome new people to the neighbourhood as it means they don't have to live in a field in a place they've never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Thread title says Chapelizod but discussion is about Coolock???

• Would you like to love beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.

• Advertisement

• Would you like to live beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Would you like to love beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.

Don't count your chickens. If the price is right the council may slam up a Lego set over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

As I understand it the residents were promised a mix of social and affordable. Now it's 100% social. Lots of people renting apartments there would like to buy affordable. Doesn't seem fair to only build social.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Varta wrote: »
    As I understand it the residents were promised a mix of social and affordable. Now it's 100% social. Lots of people renting apartments there would like to buy affordable. Doesn't seem fair to only build social.

estate agents, development funds and builders are quickly discovering that 10% social is the absolute max and they have to be seperate units , theres even been sneaky attempts at doing 10% straight social and cluid etc.. buying another 10% , as soon as the bank valuers or often prospective buyers get whiff of it the valuations drop and the interest along with it.

Very very hard to get people to part with cash knowing the people beside them more than not don't work and got the house for 30 quid a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Social mix works. Chapelizod is probably the most socially mixed area in Dublin and a great example of how social mixing works. 100% social building will likely upset that balance. It's not often you get residents in an area advocating for a social/affordable mix. I think they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Don't count your chickens. If the price is right the council may slam up a Lego set over night.

Surrounded by our own land and outside that by people who would sell a family member before they would sell a blade of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What utter drivel is this.

There are not houses in or anywhere near chapelizod dropping 20% in value by some social units going up there.

For someone who claims to know accommodation ray this is an awful load of codswallop. Chapelizods location and access to the city won't drop anyone's house value.

You typing this with a straight face..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost?

Jesus Christ. This is A&P in a nutshell.

Let poor people die on the on the streets because you want to accumulate wealth.

Would you like to live beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.

What's your problem living beside social housing?
    And no, I wouldn't have any problems living beside any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LeineGlas wrote: »

Let poor people die on the on the streets because you want to accumulate wealth.

And people wonder why the Shinners cleaned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

LeineGlas wrote: »

Not getting a free home for life in a particular location in Dublin, to be paid for by the Irish worker, does not equate to poor people dying on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Would you like to live beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.

so whats your wise suggestion for the 100,000 social & affordable homes that SF plan to build, which funny enough is the same number FF have in their manifesto? The houses are badly needed, there are people dying literally for the want of a roof over their head and yet you would personally object, delay and deter much needed housing because you don't want 'that kind of people' living near you?

The arguments you see here against social housing tenants are exactly the same ones used by racists who say they don't want to live next to black people. Well im not surprised because if you can hate a whole class of people then it doesn't take much to transfer that hate to another group who are not your type.
    “We put all the cops in minority neighborhoods . . . Because that’s where all the crime is.” Michael Bloomberg’

• bubblypop wrote: »
    What's your problem living beside social housing?
    And no, I wouldn't have any problems living beside any.

Anti-social behavior, crime, no respect for property or area, why should they live for free/cheap beside people who are working hard everyday to pay for their house etc etc.

I spent a brief period of time living beside a social house when house sharing in an otherwise very nice estate and it’s the only house I’ve ever had hassle living beside. House was bought by the council after I moved in. It was a disgrace to have them living among otherwise normal, high tax paying families and young professionals. They were a family with young kids too so you can only imagine when their kids get older or others get into the area.

Yes you will say that’s one example and they aren’t all like that, correct of course but there is a high percentage of bad and chances are you will have at least some bad eggs living beside you if there is social housing.
    so whats your wise suggestion for the 100,000 social & affordable homes that SF plan to build, which funny enough is the same number FF have in their manifesto? The houses are badly needed, there are people dying literally for the want of a roof over their head and yet you would personally object, delay and deter much needed housing because you don't want 'that kind of people' living near you?

Purpose built social housing estates.

The arguments you see here against social housing tenants are exactly the same ones used by racists who say they don't want to live next to black people. Well im not surprised because if you can hate a whole class of people then it doesn't take much to transfer that hate to another group who are not your type.

That is total rubbish to be fair. There are very strong grounds and many reasons for not wanting to live beside social housing or why people paying for their home should not have to live beside them.

Anti-social behavior, crime, no respect for property or area, why should they live for free/cheap beside people who are working hard everyday to pay for their house etc etc.

I spent a brief period of time living beside a social house when house sharing in an otherwise very nice estate and it’s the only house I’ve ever had hassle living beside. House was bought by the council after I moved in. It was a disgrace to have them living among otherwise normal, high tax paying families and young professionals. They were a family with young kids too so you can only imagine when their kids get older or others get into the area.

Yes you will say that’s one example and they aren’t all like that, correct of course but there is a high percentage of bad and chances are you will have at least some bad eggs living beside you if there is social housing.

Purpose built social housing estates.

That is total rubbish to be fair. There are very strong grounds and many reasons for not wanting to live beside social housing or why people paying for their home should not have to live beside them.

This is all rubbish.

'It was a disgrace to have them living among otherwise normal, high tax paying families and young professionals'

People who live in social housing are not normal? Are you actually serious.
    Sometimes I read your posts & I honestly wonder if you are posting from the 1950s.
    The old fashioned & discriminatory remarks you make on here are quite honestly unbelievable!

You seem to more bothered by people 'not paying'for houses & living beside people who buy their home. Why should it bother you if the person next door owns their house or not? It's really none of your business! What if the person next door bought their house 35 years ago? Does it matter that they paid ten times less then someone else in the same estate?

Just one more thing, children living in social housing benefit much more from having their community a mixture. It's good for them to see workers & see what they can achieve.

You're a snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Anti-social behavior, crime, no respect for property or area, why should they live for free/cheap beside people who are working hard everyday to pay for their house etc et

yes, that's the same argument you see on fox news too .. . them mexicans are all rapists and criminals. Of course they are not all rapists but the fear of one rapists means you should shun the whole race, build a big wall, and ignore any suffering caused. keep them in their own 'estates'.

and that's your argument in a nutshell.

here is a thought for you. the vast majority of social housing candidates are decent people. It is not the fault of the good people in social housing that the courts in ireland do not punish low level criminality. It is not their fault the council rarely evict bad tenants. But we will collectively shun and punish them because of the actions of the minority.

instead of say, changing the law for people who commit anit social actions, introduce enforceable asbos and make the council live up to its responsibilities?

No lets tar them all with the same brush. its easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only issue I see with this development is that the Council should be obliged to set aside 20% or whatever for affordable housing, just like the 20% in private developments!

Does anyone have a mock up of the design or where would I find it.

I don't live in that area (Chapelizod), but I know it well. The site is magnificent, backing on to the Phoenix Park, across the road from a lovely 19th century church, on the banks of the Liffey, bus to town in 15 or so minutes and so on. It is a prime site. If designed well it could be great as there is nothing else along that road besides a car dealership and the boat clubs.

There is another vacant site near the bridge and AFAIK it is council owned too, has been derelict for donkeys years. That's next I'd say.

The site under consideration is on the left here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3474791,-6.3406568,3a,75y,100.43h,96.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szyZFDGUbodrZEjx3Qwhprg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the other vacant site on the left.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3483175,-6.3468078,3a,75y,289.23h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjlViQpuIAhcQm3ETvGuHYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

is_that_so wrote: »
    No lack of understanding at all I just value it as a home and a place I am happy to live. When or if I sell it'll be to move to another home. I am also happy to welcome new people to the neighbourhood as it means they don't have to live in a field in a place they've never heard of.

That is not what you said. You said it had no effect until selling. It might not bother you but that is not to say others aren't bothered. You don't get to dismiss the effects for others. If they want to complain they have valid reason whether you are bothered or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

so whats your wise suggestion for the 100,000 social & affordable homes that SF plan to build, which funny enough is the same number FF have in their manifesto?

Build them to lower standards on cheap land outside the M50. Expensive sites in desireable locations like Chapelizod should be sold for private development.

Building A-rated homes on valuable land to effectively give away is moronic policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

CPO family / neighbour's land and build cheaply there! :p

Advertisement