Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought....Hosepipe Ban.... next they'll be calling for Water meters

• 06-07-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭

Wait till you hear them scream and shout when we run out of water. You know.. the ones who gave out about the water meters in the first place. They will be giving out that everyone is using to much water.

The only true way to make people limit the amount of water they use is to meter them and make them pay for what they use. I know we have leaks to fix and all, but really to conserve water properly, not only do leaks need to be fixed but peoples habits need to be changed.

I don't care about running the tap when I brush my teeth, or taking extra long showers or conserving water.

But meter my usage and my habits will change overnight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

The only time we had a drop in water consumption was in October a couple of years ago when people thought they were going to be metered.
    100% agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Yeah. It's about time we grew up and paid for our water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

A band aid over a gaping wound.

Meters don't make it rain more, or make the reservoirs bigger, or reduce the population of Dublin.

Even if there were meters in place it would only give a couple more weeks reprive before a hose-pipe ban got put in place. The drought isn't caused by a lack of metering. It's not even caused by the leaks in all the pipes. It due to the lack of rain.

Infrastructural investment, in the form of more numerous reservoirs, and replaced piping systems is important. Hopefully we might see it happen at some point. Nothing's stopping the government from investing in it.

We did invest a billion euro in Irish Water though. That's been really useful. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

They have water meters in much of the UK and pay charges yet frequent hose pipe bans.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Seve OB wrote:
    I don't care about running the tap when I brush my teeth, or taking extra long showers or conserving water.

You need to face a financial penalty to make you conserve water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Seve OB wrote: »

You monster

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

.....While I absolutely agree with some of the things said here, I can't help but wonder would we actually 'need'* to conserve water if the infrastructure wasn't such a heap?

(I mean from a 'danger of running out point of view' I agree it makes sense from an environmental point of view regardless)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Vartry reservoir levels didn't look too bad during the week, looks like this could be mainly a supply problem, no harm in preserving though, as it looks like very little rain for some time.

Water protests were understandable, as they were more a reaction to austerity than anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

It really is staggering the amount of people who go through life with this attitude. How about conserving water not because "nobody makes me pay for it" but because you are a grown up and can decide to act like one all by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We already do. Not sure why people don’t understand that.

Do you think it magically turns up for free in our houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Definition of stupidity is to pay for your water twice, So they can fcuk off

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Vartry reservoir levels didn't look too bad during the week, looks like this could be mainly a supply problem, no harm in preserving though, as it looks like very little rain for some time.

Thing is though, if 50% really does leak out between the reservoir and the consumer you need to look at the reservoir like it has half of what you saw.

What would it look like then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Wait till you hear them scream and shout when we run out of water. You know.. the ones who gave out about the water meters in the first place. They will be giving out that everyone is using to much water.

The only true way to make people limit the amount of water they use is to meter them and make them pay for what they use. I know we have leaks to fix and all, but really to conserve water properly, not only do leaks need to be fixed but peoples habits need to be changed.

You whinge about people whinging and then say that you won't bother conserving water until you are charged for it? That's a very irresponsible attitude.

I don't agree with additional water charges for a number of reasons, but we won't have that discussion here. What I will say is that I am very conscious of our water use and encourage my kids to be the same. Water is not left on when teeth are brushed, or hands are washed. Showers are kept short and baths are not brimming.

I have a pond. When evacuating the filters (fortnightly in the summer), it uses about 600 litres of water. But that water is used to irrigate our plants and vegetables.....some of which we had for dinner yesterday.

What we primarily need is a change of attitude. Sadly I have to agree that most people won't change their attitude until they are charged for water. The biggest abusers still won't pay, or will be given grants, so it will be mostly average and responsible users who will be left to pay the bill.

We also really need the pipes fixed. The real reason IW are lowering water pressure at night has nothing to do with consumer use. The higher the pressure, the more leakage we have. IW cost a billion....that would have fixed a lot of pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't think most people have a problem paying for it.

However, the way it was set up and the strong possibility it would be sold off put paid to that.

Imagine how many leaks we could have fixed with the money used to set up IW in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Is that the only metric to indicate people "grew up"???

The whole Irish Water circus was a disorganized fiasco from the start, designed only to corner the market for a few cowboys and make them rich.

When I joined the workforce, many years ago, PAYE was levied and used to pay for general services-Co Councils, Public Services etc.
    Some unnamed genius came up with a great wheeze that rather than paying for services out of general funds with everyone equally entitled to use or access them, we will break them down into profit making service industries.
    Naturally this means that PAYE would be reduced drastically:pac:
    I still have a hefty PAYE bill, pay for my bin collections, property tax (what does that fund again?) and only thanks to the aforementioned fiasco, I don't have a water meter bill.
    If I did have, why, with whatever money they would coerce from my fellow citizens would Irish Water be able to allow me to copy DCC or the GAA and pour millions of litres onto my vast lawns?

The man from Irish water was on last night, and seemed to indicate that in spite of four weeks of no rain and sky high temperatures, there is plenty of "water" in the system.
    As long as people (DCC power washing their offices / GAA with nice green pitches) don't act the maggot, it seems unlikely we will run out.

Bit of contrast with the Big Brother "we are able to read your meter and you will be prosecuted" routine last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I will be more than happy to pay for water once they lower the income tax rate.

I will have the money and pay for what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

DrumSteve wrote: »

However, the way it was set up and the strong possibility it would be sold off put paid to that.

Imagine how many leaks we could have fixed with the money used to set up IW in the first place?

The fact that "saint" uncle dinny was involved didnt make it any palatbale to folk. As yoi say a dogs dinner was made of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Benteke wrote: »
    Definition of stupidity is to pay for your water twice, So they can fcuk off

Who are you paying already? I'd gladly pay too but I'm paying fcuk all at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

DrumSteve wrote: »

Indeed,instead of putting that money into fixing leaks they ploughed it into a billing system for the cash cows...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wexie wrote:
    Thing is though, if 50% really does leak out between the reservoir and the consumer you need to look at the reservoir like it has half of what you saw.

Yes I do understand that leakage is a serious problem for us, but I'd imagine a lot of countries have a similar problem, I have seen water levels much lower in the past in that particular reservoir, so I suspect this is more a production problem than an actual supply problem, but the ban is a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

rafatoni wrote: »
    The fact that "saint" uncle dinny was involved didnt make it any palatbale to folk. As yoi say a dogs dinner was made of it.

Yeah that didn't go down well (pardon the pun) at all.

That lad has his finger in more pies than Mr Kipling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭omega man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We already do. Not sure why people don’t understand that.

Do you think it magically turns up for free in our houses?

Who’s “we”? Is it through income tax or what exactly? Then why must many rural communities pay for water access if they already pay? I hear this a lot but I don’t get it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Is that the only metric to indicate people "grew up"???

The whole Irish Water circus was a disorganized fiasco from the start, designed only to corner the market for a few cowboys and make them rich.

When I joined the workforce, many years ago, PAYE was levied and used to pay for general services-Co Councils, Public Services etc.
    Some unnamed genius came up with a great wheeze that rather than paying for services out of general funds with everyone equally entitled to use or access them, we will break them down into profit making service industries.
    Naturally this means that PAYE would be reduced drastically:pac:
    I still have a hefty PAYE bill, pay for my bin collections, property tax (what does that fund again?) and only thanks to the aforementioned fiasco, I don't have a water meter bill.
    If I did have, why, with whatever money they would coerce from my fellow citizens would Irish Water be able to allow me to copy DCC or the GAA and pour millions of litres onto my vast lawns?

The man from Irish water was on last night, and seemed to indicate that in spite of four weeks of no rain and sky high temperatures, there is plenty of "water" in the system.
    As long as people (DCC power washing their offices / GAA with nice green pitches) don't act the maggot, it seems unlikely we will run out.

Bit of contrast with the Big Brother "we are able to read your meter and you will be prosecuted" routine last weekend
    You obviously didn't see some of the GAA pitches last weekend on the telly. They were very brown and yellow and not much green happening. Croke Park being the exception.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yes I do understand that leakage is a serious problem for us, but I'd imagine a lot of countries have a similar problem, I have seen water levels much lower in the past in that particular reservoir, so I suspect this is more a production problem than an actual supply problem, but the ban is a good idea

I'm actually not so sure that many comparable countries would have leakage on the same scale or infrastructure that's in quite the same shambles.

I remember reading an article a while ago that Dublin was always going to have a water supply issue purely because of the population density. So I suspect it's probably a bit of both.

Bit I just don't understand how come the infrastructure can still be in such a balls, it's not like the money wasn't there during the good years? Was it just a case (as usual) of no forward planning at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Who are you paying already? I'd gladly pay too but I'm paying fcuk all at the moment.

Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney at the time of the fiasco said the following on newstalk radio

“…at the moment Irish taxpayers are paying about 1.2 billion euros for the cost of water, water is not free at the moment…”

As I said they can fcuk off if they think they want more, Some people really do like to bend over to be shafted in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

wexie wrote: »
    .....While I absolutely agree with some of the things said here, I can't help but wonder would we actually 'need'* to conserve water if the infrastructure wasn't such a heap?

(I mean from a 'danger of running out point of view' I agree it makes sense from an environmental point of view regardless)

Yeah we do. Our water comes from one of the better run group schemes. They've been flat out the last few years doing proactive maintenance, installing new pumping facilities etc. In spite of this, theres big concerns about supply in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You need to face a financial penalty to make you conserve water?

Some poeple do, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

omega man wrote: »
    Who’s “we”? Is it through income tax or what exactly? Then why must many rural communities pay for water access if they already pay? I hear this a lot but I don’t get it.....

Paid for through the various forms of taxation that the state raises.

No idea about rural areas. Don't live in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

IW spokespeople are spoofers, about as believable as a report from Comical Ali. The people saw the whole IW premise was built on sand, and quite rightly pushed it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

"Water is a fundamental right" ... :rolleyes:

Tell that to people living in the Sudan, or Namibia ...

Advertisement