Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The cyprus tune live is CLASS!
    The rehearsals look great!
    I think it could even be top 10 if not top 5

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Amik wrote: »
    I've been getting all my co-workers to listen to all the songs today. I know it's not scientific but the 3 everyone are highlighting are Croatia, Austria and Macedonia! Really is the tightest race in recent years.

my three favourite songs are Denmark, Austria and Lithuania. I don't think any of them will win unfortunately...

I see why everyone loves Macedonia too, the song ticks a lot of boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

mimimcmc wrote: »
    my three favourite songs are Denmark, Austria and Lithuania. I don't think any of them will win unfortunately...

I see why everyone loves Macedonia too, the song ticks a lot of boxes

I'm deliberately not looking at any of the rehearsals as I prefer to watch them live on the night. From listening to the Spotify playlist though the 3 you mention there are my 3 favourites. I also like Germany and Hungary. Wasn't too pushed on the Macedonia song tbh.

My favourites
    Bulgaria
    Cyprus
    Macedonia (some staging issues though)
    Azerbaijan (seriously catchy even with the rubbish lyrics)
    France - very classy could see this winning

I dont get the Norway song at all.

I can see why Israel are current favourites defo top 5.

The Denmark song is a bit too west end for me, but it is solid. That snow is a disaster atm

Ireland very slim chance to qualify, he has a great voice but the song and staging aren't great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

mimimcmc wrote: »

I really find the song and Ieva's voice special -- sweet and delicate! It's in a tough semi though.

If it's too soft for your tastes there's a nice remix available:

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Ireland very slim chance to qualify, he has a great voice but the song and staging aren't great imo.

In today's 2nd rehearsal clip the staging doesn't look too bad. The focus is on Ryan and the dancers are more in the background. I really like the simple lamp post on the stage.

One of the ESC podcasts said Ireland's hot air balloon from last year is a running joke among the production crew this year. Supposedly caused lots of problems getting it on and off stage in the 30 seconds required to set-up. :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Lithuania getting a lot of positive feedback from their rehearsal, Macedonia meanwhile is apparently terrible live.

Really looking forward to seeing the reaction to France later, especially the betting market.

In today's 2nd rehearsal clip the staging doesn't look too bad. The focus is on Ryan and the dancers are more in the background. I really like the simple lamp post on the stage.

One of the ESC podcasts said Ireland's hot air balloon from last year is a running joke among the production crew this year. Supposedly caused lots of problems getting it on and off stage in the 30 seconds required to set-up. :)
    Glad to hear that!
    Would be lovely to cheer Ireland on in final.
    The balloon is literally the only memorable thing from Ireland entry last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm deliberately not looking at any of the rehearsals as I prefer to watch them live on the night. From listening to the Spotify playlist though the 3 you mention there are my 3 favourites. I also like Germany and Hungary. Wasn't too pushed on the Macedonia song tbh.
    We must have very similar taste in music Cuz I also love the Hungary song, it's very like 30 seconds to Mars

Confirmation from Netta herself that she's performing without a looper. She's visibly not happy about it.

I also pass similar questions where "it's his fault" to my manager for answering. :D

• Advertisement

Some good news from Macedonia:

"Second rehearsal done✔ It's getting better"

Looks like an outfit change?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXalbaAlNZ

Our man enjoying a well deserved rest in the city...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXVg0ynZwM

Eurovision Village officially open!

DcWeVkBV0AA8XH6.jpg

https://twitter.com/ESCpulse/status/992426725601660928

Come on Macedonia!
    I have a flutter on couple top 10s
    Poland 12-1
    Macedonia 20-1
    Azerbaijan 8-1

I meant to put a bet on Cyprus last week but left it too long so zero value now :(

Come on Macedonia!
    I have a flutter on couple top 10s
    Poland 12-1
    Macedonia 20-1
    Azerbaijan 8-1

I meant to put a bet on Cyprus last week but left it too long so zero value now :(

Maybe add Croatia at around 16/1? I'm considering it.

From comments it seems that Macedonia's outfit above is what she's wearing during the 1st half of the song. She switches to that pink number in the 2nd.

Your living room next Saturday....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiYHKxlHPM3/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I can't figure out this market at all...a couple of days ago estonia were 14s/12s everywhere and I'm thinking I'm doomed and now all I see is 13/2 tops

rehearsals must have gone well is all I can think

It's now almost impossible predict the winner this year. It would be nice to see Cyprus win for the first time (they've now replaced Portugal as the country with most entries and zero wins) but I'm not crazy about the song; it's what Salvador Sobral would call "fast food music"! I'm not too sure about Israel either, think they may end up like Italy did last year. I really hope Norway don't win; as great a performer as Rybak is, it's supposed to be a song contest, and the song is just...blergh.

I could actually see France or Italy winning it if the messages resonate on the night but they've been well-fancied before and flopped.

If it was up to me I'd give it to Portugal for a second year; "O Jardim" is a really beautiful song and has crept its way to the top of my list. Also fancy Austria to spring a challenge if the staging is done right. And the darkest of dark horses: Hungary. Metalcore winning Eurovision? Stranger things have happened! :D

mailburner wrote: »
    I can't figure out this market at all...a couple of days ago estonia were 14s/12s everywhere and I'm thinking I'm doomed and now all I see is 13/2 tops

rehearsals must have gone well is all I can think

Estonia's back in the running, currently tied for 2nd with Norway at 6/1 at my two walk-in bookies.

The performance really looks magical, even better than it did at the national final. They almost didn't get the projectors necessary but found a sponsor last minute (cost of around 10k EUR).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiWR78Kntpw

I could actually see France or Italy winning it if the messages resonate on the night but they've been well-fancied before and flopped.

If it was up to me I'd give it to Portugal for a second year; "O Jardim" is a really beautiful song and has crept its way to the top of my list.

France would be a worthy winner. Lots more chatter about them this year than previous ones. Everyone can remember basic French like "Merci" and the emotion in the song transcends language. Italy is a good song but just too Italian. That said Salvador won in a language I don't know at all. SO hard to pick this year like you said. :D

Portugal looked and sounded fantastic yesterday. Looking forward to the second rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

It's now almost impossible predict the winner this year.
    Israel have it by a mile if anti-semitism doesnt affect the vote .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Anyone else think the start of the Italian song sounds like a Muse song? I can't decide if it makes me like it more or less.

I thought it the first time I heard the song and couldn't get it out of my head.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the start of the Italian song sounds like a Muse song?

Nice catch!

We'll find out next Saturday if it was a good strategic move to not promote the song earlier at all the pre-parties. It seems fresh as we haven't heard it as much as the others.

I do like it. Just need to see the rehearsal with real camera work to make a final decision. Currently at 30/1 to win. Maybe worth a punt?

mailburner wrote: »
    I can't figure out this market at all...a couple of days ago estonia were 14s/12s everywhere and I'm thinking I'm doomed and now all I see is 13/2 tops rehearsals must have gone well is all I can think

Here's solid proof why she's near the top of the market!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiUeAJjnAC-

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oops69 wrote: »
    It's now almost impossible predict the winner this year.
    Israel have it by a mile if anti-semitism doesnt affect the vote .

Hardly anti-semitism, more politics. If some people refuse to vote for Russia then Israel certainly shouldn't be excluded.

I'd be relatively happy with most winners bar Israel and Norway. France is my number one but I just can't see it happening. I loved Estonia initially but admittedly I'm after getting a bit bored of it, but most will be hearing it for the first time on the night, so I'm not sure.

Eta: That's obviously in response to Oops69, not Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I am a big fan of Norway and Alexander. I read he has the flu so fingers crossed he's better for Thursday's semi final.

Oops69 wrote: »

Hardly anti-semitism, more politics. If some people refuse to vote for Russia then Israel certainly shouldn't be excluded.

I'd be relatively happy with most winners bar Israel and Norway. France is my number one but I just can't see it happening. I loved Estonia initially but admittedly I'm after getting a bit bored of it, but most will be hearing it for the first time on the night, so I'm not sure.

Eta: That's obviously in response to Oops69, not Homer.

tumblr_p5fnsivy6S1u7uduwo1_540.gif

I agree it would be pure politics. Something else is the tone of the song. Where other songs are about love, peace, etc. this one is very anti-men and negative. I feel bad about myself and all my brothers after a listen. :)

Pang wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Norway and Alexander. I read he has the flu so fingers crossed he's better for Thursday's semi final.

Must have caught it at Philipp Kirkorov's birthday party before his first rehearsal. He and some other stars were partying hard there according to reports. :)

tenor.gif

The Eurovision silliness I love begins... :D

Your living room next Saturday....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiYHKxlHPM3/
    Jesus that is class.
    She is like gay crack!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Finland was stuck in my head all day!!!

Advertisement