Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ken Dodd- "Laughter is the greatest music in the world"...

• 12-03-2018 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

...and audiences come to my show to escape the cares of life. "

Happiness, happiness , the greatest gift that I possess
    I thank the Lord I've been blessed
    With more than my share of happiness

To me the world is a wonderful place
    And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
    I've got no silver and I've got no gold
    But I've got happiness in my soul

The world is down a tickling stick today-

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Share a Ken Dodd joke (if he ever made you laugh) ! I think it would be a fitting tribute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I haven't spoken to my mother-in-law for 18 months

I don't like to interrupt her

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I guess I should start...being the o.p.

What a lovely day to stick a cucumber through the Vicar's letter box and shout " The Martians are coming!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dodd was infamous for his long shows: four, five hours easily. He was well aware of this:
    Ken Dodd wrote:
    My act is very educational. I heard a man leaving the other night, saying: 'Well, that taught me a lesson'.

You think you can get away, but you can't. I'll follow you home and I'll shout jokes through your letterbox.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

He was on Parkinson (or one of those shows) and he was asked about the differences in regional humour:

Ken Dodd: You could tell a joke in Glasgow and the whole audience will laugh. But in London, nobody will laugh.

Michael Parkinson: Why's that?

Ken Dodd: Because they can't hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Just realised Knotty Ash is a real place.

• Advertisement

Ah no. He was one of the old ones I still liked to have on to pass a Saturday night in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

RIP.

He was a great singer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did he ever settle that tax bill?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Did he ever settle that tax bill?

"They stole that idea from me"

- Referring to the Inland Revenue and "self-assessment" of income tax.

"In the 1800s ,one of the M.P.s in London decided to introduce tax.In those days it was 2p in the pound. I thought it still was."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

“My act is very educational. I heard a man leaving the other night, saying: ‘Well, that taught me a lesson’.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

"The man who invented cats' eyes got the idea when he saw the eyes of a cat in his headlights. If the cat had been going the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener."

Ken Dodd, R.I.P.

Ken-Dodd-at-the-BBC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

"Just read a book about Stockholm Syndrome, it started off badly but by the end I really liked it."

this made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Once , when he asked an audience member what they worked at, and they replied "farmer" ; he came right back with. Ah, farmers. Salt of the earth. Up at half five in the morning.

Burying a dead sheep, so the neighbours don't know........ :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have kleptomania. But when it gets bad, I take something for it.

I' ve seen a topless lady ventriloquist - Nobody has ever seen her lips move!

[Addressing people in The Gods at a provincial theatre] It’s a privilege to be asked to play here tonight on what is a very special anniversary. It is 100 years to the night since that balcony collapsed.

The trouble with Freud is that he never played the Glasgow Empire on a Saturday night after Rangers and Celtic had both lost.

Eve said to Adam: ‘Do you love me?’ And he replied: ‘Well who else is there?’

Scientists and doctors — they’re making tremendous strides all the time. One of these days you could have another mouth on top of your head. When you’re late for work in the morning, stick a bacon sandwich under your cap and eat it on your way to the bus.

Trouble, you don’t know what trouble is. This morning I rang up the Samaritans. I said: ‘Hello. My name’s Ken Dodd.’ The fella at the other end shot himself.

In Germany all the hims are Herrs.

It’s a posh audience here tonight. There are people in the front row eating chips with their gloves on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oddly relevant...

And fcuk me, Liam Shakespeare could nail it as far as the human condition and musing on that goes. Ignore the archaic language, the oul git hits the spot on a few levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement