Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question re next week's strike

Options
  • 27-01-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Question for you all. We are to strike next Tuesday. The shop stewart has decreed that I have to stay an hour after my normal finish time. (Normal 4.30 he is saying 5.30) can he legmitally do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Question for you all. We are to strike next Tuesday. The shop stewart has decreed that I have to stay an hour after my normal finish time. (Normal 4.30 he is saying 5.30) can he legmitally do this.

Not that I'm aware of. What is his reason for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Not that I'm aware of. What is his reason for it??

None. He simply handed out a time table, told us we can shuffle it but can't change it. We have to be always on the gate as the mail states. I feel this might be a rep over stating his importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

None. He simply handed out a time table, told us we can shuffle it but can't change it. We have to be always on the gate as the mail states. I feel this might be a rep over stating his importance.

It does sound a bit daft. Why would anyone be picketing an hour after work?

It does sound a bit daft. Why would anyone be picketing an hour after work?

All teaching staff will be gone by 4.30 at the latest. 5PM for support staff. No rhyme or reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

All teaching staff will be gone by 4.30 at the latest. 5PM for support staff. No rhyme or reason for it.

Are there evening classes running?

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Are there evening classes running?

Dont think so, no. Still don't start until 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

If there are evening classes then I think the school needs to picketed as picketing needs to take place during the normal opening hours of the place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I’m pretty sure the email we got said that we should be picketing from a half an hour before the normal start time until the normal end of the school day. No mention of being later than that (though I don’t have the email in front of me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

RealJohn wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure the email we got said that we should be picketing from a half an hour before the normal start time until the normal end of the school day. No mention of being later than that (though I don’t have the email in front of me).

Yes that's what's in the FAQ sheet provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

No shop steward has the right to tell anybody when they can and cannot work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Will Yam wrote: »
    No shop steward has the right to tell anybody when they can and cannot work

Nobody mentioned working. It's about a timetable for a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I wasn’t aware that union officials could issue diktats to union members.

Probably illegal.

Advertisement