Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Media Player 11 not playing .avi (Codecs)

• 13-04-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I did a fresh install of Visat (x64) over the weekend and went to play some of my avi files last night. Forgot that I hadn’t installed any codecs for media player 11 so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version). Installs fine but still I am just getting sound with no video. Klite doesn’t seem to be working. (uninstalled and re-installed it several times) I did a search for other codec packs and I’ve installed a few (Vista codec pack, All-in-1, Shark, x64 Codecs) and still nothing.

It’s a bit odd as I always remember klite doing the job after a fresh install. Can anyone suggest a resolution? Is there a setting in media player 11 I need to turn on or active the klite codec pack?

I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them, so really want to get media player working. Any help would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I did a fresh install of Visat (x64) over the weekend and went to play some of my avi files last night. Forgot that I hadn’t installed any codecs for media player 11 so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version). Installs fine but still I am just getting sound with no video. Klite doesn’t seem to be working. (uninstalled and re-installed it several times) I did a search for other codec packs and I’ve installed a few (Vista codec pack, All-in-1, Shark, x64 Codecs) and still nothing.

It’s a bit odd as I always remember klite doing the job after a fresh install. Can anyone suggest a resolution? Is there a setting in media player 11 I need to turn on or active the klite codec pack?

I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them, so really want to get media player working. Any help would be great!
    Sounds like a broken codec, you could try Codec Tweak Tool to fix/repair dodgy/broken ones.
    You can also try manually installing Divx/Xvid from here

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version).

Install the 32-bit codec pack. You'd only need 64-bit codecs with the 64-bit version of WMP (yes, there are two and the 32-bit version of WMP is default).
    I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them

Nothing wrong with the portable version for testing. ;)
    I am just getting sound with no video.

We had a case here recently, where DirectDraw was not available. Better check with DXDIAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

installed the DivX codec and the standard pack and now its working!

Thank you very much guys!

Advertisement