Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Setup?

• 10-04-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Mod Edit

Use this thread to cover your setup. Including, but not limited to your HTPC. If you have extenders, home automation hardware, a NAS, media server, music client like squeezebox/sonos or whatnot, add that info too.

Be sure to include the sources (SKY\NTL etc) that you are using. The software you considered, the software you ended up using and tell us a bit about your trials and tribulations along the way.

Please keep the chat to a minimum. If you have questions on someone's setup, please create a new thread and discuss it there. Then I would ask the person who wrote the post on their setup to update it with any info that needs to be in light of that discussion. You could also create a discussion link in your post if you wish. I dont have an issue with old posts being dragged up, as long as its still relevant.

I'd like to keep this thread as clean and concise as possible. If you are unable to edit your post (time restrictions), PM me with the content and I'll edit the post for you.

See also the HD benchmarking thread. HD as in High-Definition, not Hard Disk :)

Enjoy! SC

/mod edit

My Setup:

LG Blu-Ray DVD-burner
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB SATA2
    Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    Hauppauge! WinTV-HVR1300MCE KIT,
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
    D-Link DWL-G510 PCI 54Mbps
    Antec Fusion 430 Silver, 430w PSU, HTPC,

Antec Fusion 430 Case:

Excellent Case. Very very quite with two large fans that aren't noticeable on their lowest setting. Also a good PSU is included making it a very well priced unit. Design wise it blends in very well with my setup. Really has an AV look about it.

Motherboard:

Not too much to talk about. Plenty of ports and fits well in the case. Use onboard sound and video at the minute. Mainly due to the lack of PCI slots! Does the job fine. Dedicated graphics are probably only required for gaming anyway.

Processor:

AMD 6000+. Hopefully will future proof my machine for a good while. Hasn't had any problems playing anything back so far. Rips DVD pretty fast and no problem converting various file formats.

Memory:

4 Gig. With the prices the way they are didn't see much point in getting less. Only using Vista 32 bit at the moment, but plan on upgrading soon.

TV Card:

Never had any trouble with Hauppauge cards before. Very good quality recording and live TV. Great Media Centre support too and easy setup. Comes with a remote also, but I didn't end up using it in the end!

Hard Drive:

Was going to put in two of these but decided to wait for 2 / 4 Tb drives and then put in two of them instead. With HD rips coming in over the 4 gig mark storage was a big factor for me. The case only supports 2 drives so I will wait until upgrading is necessary and then hopefully i'll be able to get a 2 / 4 Tb drive! Very fast and ok noise wise.

Blue Ray Drive:

Haven't actually used it much! Ashamed to say I don't own a blue ray disk!

I find this setup works excellently. It's my third HTPC. It's not the cheapest setup available but i'm happy it will be able to cope for a nice few years. Can't see it having any problem with HD (i recently put together a quad core system with 8 gigs of ram for a guy who really wanted to have the latest!)

I use it to store all my music, many hundreds of video files, lots of DVDs (although if the menus and scene selection are not vital i tend to convert these to divx. I never convert concerts tho as the menus are very handy for song selection.), full up with pictures too and i sometimes use it to surf the net etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Here's my setup This Media Center PC was originally a totally silent pc with passive cooling and was manufactured by http://www.hushtechnologies.com/

The original mainboard blew so I’ve had to install some new hardware as follows;

Mainboard: AOpen i945GTm-VHL Micro-ATX
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T2600 2.16Ghz
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB SATA (nice quiet drive)
    DVD: Teac DV-W24EW DVD-RW
    Graphics: Integrated Intel 945GM Express
    Audio: Integrated Realtek 7.1
    PSU: Integrated
    Microsoft Media Center Remote Keyboard http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2005/11/03/Microsoft-Media-Center-2005-Keyboard/p1
    Microsoft Media Center Remote Control with USB receiver http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=309575

Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2 Tuner http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4348.html
    T-REX SuperModule 4.6 Cam http://www.satstore.co.uk/cams.htm

Mainboard has VGA and DVI outputs so I’ll include a DVI to HDMI cable.
    Also, the PC has an integrated IR receiver on the front facia so need need to use the Microsoft USB IR Receiver
    I’m including the original heat pipes and passive cooling components.
    I’m also including a Duolabs Cas Interface 2 Plus CAM programmer. This is needed to program the serial number of your Sky box into the T-REX Cam.

Combine all the above with a valid Sky subscription card and you can watch your Sky channels on your PC.

There are plenty of online resources available with further information on this configuration, see the following links

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/skymceintegration.html

http://www.firedtv.co.uk/

http://www.digital-everywhere.com/en/alcms/index.php?start

Feel free to ask any questions.

This is now for sale at the following link

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52481&cat=8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Shuttle sp35p2
    Q6600 slacr
    4GB Gskill pc6400
    8800GT 512MB
    Hauppauge pvr 500 MCE (NTL digital via scart and components cables)
    Vista Ultimate
    Microsoft Media Center Remote Control with USB receiver
    Generic dvd dl burner
    xbox HDDVD drive external.
    2 external 500mb HD
    2 internal 320MB HD

Wanted a quiet enough media pc but one that could also play games. Want to get a blu ray player(or maybe the LG bluray burner/HDDVD rom). Also want to get a samsung f1 750mb HD ina a few months or so. Q6600 is awesome for encoding and ripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Here's mine...

Dell XPS 420
    QX9650 processor
    Evga 8800GTX gfx
    2x 500gb 7200 hdd (2x1tb on the way)
    4gb of pc6400 ram
    LG Bluray burner
    Hauppauge winTV hvr1200
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit
    Logitech Dinovo bluetooth keyboardrunning through a 47" 1080p lcd tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Antec p182 case
    Q66000 processor
    8500GT gfx (dont play pc games)
    5x 500gb 7200 hdd
    1x 750gb 7200 hdd
    2gb of pc6400 ram
    Samsung dvd burner
    Xbox 360 hd dvd external drive
    Skystar HD dvb-s card
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit
    Windows media centre keyboard and remote
    Usually going through an optoma HD65 projector and 92" screen

More ram and a blu-ray burner are probably next on my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i have
    3ghz p4
    with 512mb ram,
    400gig seagate 7200rmp sata
    28inch crt
    mce2005
    pvr-500 dual tuner, connect to a analogue antenna

in the bedroom i have
    a modded original xbox
    dvd remote
    xbox media center extender as default.xbe on c:\
    19inch crt

in front of thread mill
    a modded original xbox
    dvd remote
    xbox media center extender as default.xbe on c:\
    14inch crt

only problem i have is the mce 2005 thinks the 2 xboxs are 1, so i only had to set one up for both to work, but can only have 1 on at a time

i'd estimate the setup would cost about €300 to replace, and guestimate that it will use about €50-€70 of esb in a year

i think mce 2005 is still the best way to watch telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

1.8GHz Pentium Dual-Core
    2GB PC6400 DDR2
    Intel D945GCPE Essential Series
    500GB Western Digital SATA
    Vista Home Premium
    32" LG flat-panel
    Microsoft MCE Remote
    Antec NSK2480

The case is nicely stylish, while being very quiet even with all four fans turning, and it does a good job of dampening the sound of the CPU fan (stock Intel). Can hardly hear it when it's going. The HD seek sound is a little scratchy but mostly everything is fine. I'll be moving out in a few months so I'll be giving it to my brother who really loves it, and building a new, similar one, with a faster CPU, proper graphics card and a 1TB hard drive. The parts are very cheap to order from Komplett and was no problem to put together. I'm wondering whether I should stick with Vista's MCE or not? Vista MCE's limits are frustrating, for example I can't even select subtitles! Is the Linux MCE any good? What distro should I be looking at? Any downloadable cd's I can have a look at with everything set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

My setup is a Mac Mini Core2Due 2ghz, 2gb Ram
    Apple Time Capsule 500gb, and 500gb and 1tb plugged into it.
    Remote apple remote
    Software: OSXBMC its a port of xbox multimedia center looks and works great
    Mac is completely silent, takes up no space.
    Time Capsule streams the Avis around the house to laptop and to a hacked apple tv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

For pictures and my build log check the links in my sig

HTPC: HAL 1.0

CPU E6600 w/ Zalman CNPS8000
    RAM 4GB Kit Mushkin XP2-6400, CL4
    MOBO Gigabyte GA-965QM-DS2 (rev. 2.0)
    GFX eVGA 8800 GT w/ Thermalright HR03-GT
    HDD 1 500GB WD w/ Vista 32bit
    HDD 2 1000GB Hitachi
    Sound Onboard w/ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    PSU Corsair 620w
    Optical SATA DVD RW 18x
    CASE Lian-li PC-V300 heavily modded internally
    Screen 42" Hitachi 1080i Plasma
    M&KB Logitech Cordless Desktop S510
    Cooling 2x12cm Scythe SFlex 1200RPM, 1x8cm Lian li slim fan, Lian-li TR3 fan controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

MCE2005

source- a terrestial outdoor about 40element antenna, recieves bbc1,2 utv,ch4, rte1,2 ,tv3, tg4 prefectly

tuner- mce500, had mce 150 at first, then realised that a media canter is soooo much more then a vcr

tuning- none of the irish telly options worked for me,
    analogue cable had a guide listing for loads of stations, but couldn't tune in a station,
    analogue terrestial had only the guide for rte1,2,tv3,tg4, and could tune in 6 startions
    finally....
    i had to tune the telly to all the channels first, i noted the frequencies for all the 8 channels, and i edited them into mcetuningoverides under the ireland analogue cable heading, i was then able to tune into all 8 stations, and and map them to the guide channels, this has worked for about 3 years now with out a problem

Power saving
    next problem was getting to pc to standy, i found that the best option was to set mce to "ask me what to do" when the remotes power button was pressed and told all user to just close mce( pc was set to standby when idle for 20mins),

setting the button to power off would obviously stop mce taping shows,
    setting the button to standby would fail if you were taping something, and if an extender was in use it would cause the extender to go back to the start of what they were playing
    setting the power button to sleep mode would mean mce would keep playing what you were watching, and go to standby when it was over, if you were watching live tv it would usually cause an illegal operation during the night and the pc would be frozen in the morning

Drive Trashing
    after a few weeks the pc started to get very rattly, to fix this i set defrag to run as a scheduled task every second night

apps
    mce2005 and all updates
    think MST is a great app, even just to force a reboot once a week, it now has a new feature to close out of mce if you have not pressed a button in an adjustable ammount of time, that would help with the illegal operations i mentioned in power saving
    vnc is a must, saves having a keyboard in behind the telly
    utorrent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AMD 690G+SB600,
    Case: Antec Fusion 430 Black, 430w PSU, HTPC
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz Socket AM2
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint S166 160GB SATA2
    RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT
    Optical: LG DVD±RW burner, GH20NS20, 20x, SATA,
    Peripherals: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110
    TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350

First the warnings. If you get this case and board get SATA cables as well with short connectors. The ones that come with the board won't fit with the case. The ports are parallel and the connecters on the cables are too long - they press right up against the hdd compartment. Apart from the stress on the cables they also push the motherboard forwards so that all screws won't go in and you can't put in a pci card. I picked up right-angled cables in Maplin for €9. Second warning is about the PSU. There's only 1 SATA power cable with two connectors. So if you get a SATA DVD drive you'll need a Molex to SATA adaptor cos it won't stretch between compartments. Or you could just get an IDE one - but personally I'd get a round IDE cable - not a fan of ribbons which is all that comes with the board.

So apart from that:
    Case - lovely. Very quiet (fans on low settings - haven't tested on high yet). Manual with case is complete ****e tho. There are some bits that came in a bag and I can't for the life of me figure out what they're for - so mustn't need them :D. But it is a class case. Looks good, quiet, and has an IR receiver built in. 2*USB and 1*firewire at the front for your cameras/camcorders/usb sticks etc. And front audio ports as well if you need to use headphones.
    PSU: Included with case. It's Antec so I expected quality and got it. Very quiet.
    Motherboard - excellent. Good layout. HDMI output. 2 PCI and 2 PCIX slots. 4 ram slots in two channels. I'm only using 2 atm - 2*2gb works for me.
    CPU: 5200+ is plenty. I was trying to keep cost down and if it plays HD rips I'm happy. And it does - perfectly. Using the stock cooler - it's nice and quiet as well. I've experience with AMD coolers getting louder over time so if that becomes an issue later I'll get a better one.
    TV card: Haven't actually tested this yet. Mythbuntu detected it and installed the driver but I've yet to hook it up to the Digibox.
    Optical: I've used LG for years and never had a problem. Apart from that - it's just a DVD Writer :D
    RAM: Can't go wrong with OCZ. Excellent CAS and excellent heat spreaders on them. I was going to get the Gold ones but Komplett were out of stock so I got Platinum for an extra fiver.
    HDD. Yes it's small. After partitioning the data partition is 135Gb. That's a lot of hours of recordings which is all I'll use it for anyway. All mdeia streaming will be from a file server upstairs using NFS mounts. I've 1.5 Tb of storage there already so didn't need much local storage. I'm using a Netgear Powerline - when I hook this box up to that I'll post the transfer speeds. Over Cat5e I get 10Mb/s transfers. HD needs 800-1000Kb/s. If I get less than 2Mb/s over the powerline I'll be disappointed so I don't expect this to be a problem.
    OS: I don't feel the need to pay for an OS so XPMC was not even considered. Still very new to Linux but learning fast. My gaming PC is Ubuntu 7.04 and my laptop is Mint (at the moment - the laptop changes distro occasionally just for kicks). I picked the parts based on Linux support for them. The Hauppauge card is fully supported as are all the rest. The only problem I expected was the onboard ATI graphics but the installer detected it and installed the new open source driver automatically. Very happy with that. In fact everything was auto-detected and installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Just saw this thread. My setup is:

TV: Samsung LE40F71B LCD 40" FullHD
    DVD: Phillips El Cheapo Region Free with HDMI out and upscaling (not used much)
    Dreambox 500S for Sat TV
    IstarHD Mini Networked Media Tank with 160 GB external SATA drive modded with jukebox system
    Sonos Digital Music System with 3 ZP80 ZonePlayers in separate rooms and 1 CR100 Controller
    (Ancient) Sony STRDB940 Receiver
    Mission m-Cube Speaker system (high wife acceptance factor :D)
    Buffalo Terastation Live 2TB NAS (RAID 5)
    Buffalo Linkstation NAS 250GB
    Dell Media PC running XP MediaCenter Edition, Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB disk
    Linksys WRT54G router to link the Dreambox, Istar, Sonos, PC and NAS systems together and provide VoIP services too

I've essentially retired the DVD player having ripped all of our DVDs to the NAS and then serve them up over the Istar, all CDs have been ripped to the NAS also and are served over the Istar and Sonos systems.

It took a long time to put this altogether but I learned a lot and now get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Case: Antec Fusion 430 Silver
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (780g chipset with integrated Radeon HD 3200)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: A-DATA PC2-6400 2 X 1GB
    HDD: 2 x 1tb Samsung Spinpoint (RAID 1)
    Optical: LG Blu-Ray burner/HD-DVD reader
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Tuner: Digital Everywhere Floppy DTV DVB-S2 with T.Rex CAM for Sky Decoding
    Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech DiNivo Edge
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX
    Display: 46" Samsung Full HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭ffocused

My setup is

Antec Fusion 430 silver case
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI Mobo
    Intel E8500 3.16Ghz Dual Core Processor
    Nvidia 8500GT GFX card
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800mhz RAM
    LG HD-DVD/Blu Ray combo internal drive
    LG HD-DVD/Blu Ray USB Burner
    2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD's
    Hauppauge HVR-4000 sat/dtt tuner
    D-Link DWA 556 b/g/n wifi card
    Logitech DiNovo mini bluetooth keyboard

Running Vista HP 32bit
    Codec pack FFdShow
    Audio- iTunes
    Video- Nero Showtime, VLC and Vista Media Centre are my preferred programmes. showtime would be better if it could use a remote.
    TV- DVBviewer for Sat and Nero Home for DTT

LG 37LZ55 LCD TV
    Sony STR-DB780 Amp
    2 x Sky HD (1 with sub & 1 freesatfromsky)
    PS3 & Wii
    Ora 4 port HDMI switchbox
    Logitech Harmony 555 remote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My machine running 24/7 HTPC+Folding+FileServer

TV : Sony Bravia 46" LCD-TV KDL-46X3500
    CPU : QX9550 @ 2880Mhz
    MotherBoard : MSI P7N Platinum SLI
    Ram : 4Gig DDR2 800Mhz
    Video Cards : Asus 8800GSx2 Going to add a 3rd card to the MB to help fold
    Case : Antect P180
    Power Supply : 500watt SeaSonic
    HDD'S : 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint + 2 x 400Gigs + 1 x 80Gig
    Speakers : 4 In 1 Creative " not sure of model number "

Great system i must say im very happy with it. HDMI pluged into the TV and the sound going to my sound system has just made a big differince.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

My Setup

HTPC
    Case: Silverstone LC19 http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=lc19&area=
    CPU/Mobo: Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GCLF2/D945GCLF2-overview.htm
    HDD: Hitachi 250GB Sata
    Mem: 1x 2GB PC-6400 DDR2 http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4S45
    Optical: NEC Optiarc Slot DVD-RW drive http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4K0L
    Video Capture: Club 3D Zap Tv 1001 Analogue Tuner
    Kybrd/Mouse: Logitech DiNovo Mini http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YH4
    Wireless: Dlink DWA-160 (5GHz) http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=656
    Software: Sabayon Linux 4.0 Lite-MCE http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15828

Case
    Great case - small and fits in very well with the rest of my Home entertainment kit. PSU is an external brick so things are whisper quiet. Comes with media card reader as well, very handy for transferring pics, etc.

CPU/Mobo:
    Really small mobo - CPU is soldered on. Dual Core Atom with Hyperthreading :)
    Seems to cope with anything I throw at it - and for €70 how can you go wrong. 3 negatives.
    1. The Fan on the chipset (no fan on CPU) is cheap and noisy - replaced that with 14dB Scythe Mini Kaze
    2. They stuck on the old 945 chipset with VGA connector - no DVI - but does at least deliver 720p equivalent quite well.
    3. No SPDIF on rear connections - only header on the mobo. Need to find a header to backplate kit.

Kybrd/Mouse:
    Small, neat, and great build quality. Don't do big tasks on this machine anyway so fits perfectly. Bluetooth connection to the HTPC so can operate quite comfortably from the sofa.

Optical
    Cheap slot loading drive - fitted in easily and was firmware "upgradeable" to RPC1. So multi-region viewing assurred.

Software
    I use Sabayon on all my machines - Server, Desktop, Laptop, Netbook and now HTPC. The Lite-MCE version comes with XBMC running out of the box which was great.

Quick Note on Inputs/Outputs to this
    Server - Intel Core2 Duo 4300 with 2GB Ram and 6TB of Storage. Runs twonkymedia uPNP Server, mt-daapd, Samba and squeeze center to meet the multiple needs of various media sharing clients on my network. Also runs my internal Torrent Server and print server.
    Sky+ - old v1 Sky+ box modded to have 250GB harddisk.

Other nodes of interest on the network
    Logitech Squeezbox 3 music streamer
    Roku m500 music streamer
    Apple mac mini (HTPC #2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

My machine has been stuck together from hand me downs from my primary beast :-)

Case: Thermaltake Motzarthttp://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1328&ID=1432

Processor:
    Pentium D 3.2Ghz and a stock cooler, soon to be replaced by a qx9750 (cooler and quieter).

Graphics Card: X1650pro

RAM: 2GB

PSU: 500w Akasa

Hard Disk: 500GB Seagate for movies and 500gb for Music, both full :-(

CD ROM: 1xDVD ROM and 1x DVD writer

Sound Card: Soundblaster Audigy 2

Keyboard/Mouse: Really the best kbd i could find for any price. Range and usability in unsurpassed IMO http://www.dabs.ie/products/keysonic-ack-540rf-wireless-keyboard-5H7Z.html?refs=4294959998-50445

Software: XP pro, Tried Vista but with my processor it was just too noisy. Toying with Linux, trying out the various releases

Other HT kit

40 Samsung HD ready tv

THX Select certified Pioneer AMP (speakers need a refresh)

Yamaha sub

Dreambox DM800 HD (Sat card got the bump for this)

Motorized Satellite Dish (84CM)

XBOX 360 Premium

Hard Disk Dock and Card reader

Remote light dimmer (programmed into the main remote)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Case: Antec Minuet 350 in Black
    PSU: 300w came with case
    MoBo: MSI GF615M-P33, mATX, AM3
    Processor: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card: HD 4550 Passive Cooling, Low Profile
    Hard Disk: 60GB OCZ Core Servies V2 SSD 2.5" drive
    Removable Media: 1xBluRay LG, Adaptec 7in1 media reader. 3.5" bay (both with black fascia)
    Sound Card: Soundblaster X-FI extreme gamer low profile
    Cooling: Zalman CNPS8700 NT Low Profile CPU Cooler 110mm FAN
    Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech DiNovo Laser (Bluetooth)
    Remote: USB IR receiver and Media Center remote
    Software: Win7 RC, Boxee, PowerDVD 8 for blu-ray playback

It has been up and running like this for a week or so now. It is my second gen machine. The first being a full height media center case with room for standard cards. Idea with 2nd gen was to go passive cooling where possible and shrink the case and reduce power consumption. The only place I messed up with that was the CPU which I got at 40% off and so just couldn't say no to.

I have to say SSD is the way to run OSs. Boot up times are amazing and the lack of hard disk access noise is also great for the sitting room. My last machine seemed to think a good defrag session was in order half way through movies.

Left to do is play with the adjustable fan speeds on the case and add the usb tv tuner. Also experiment with replacing Windows with a Linux Distro for the fifth time. Boxee is great for my movie collection, just need some TV software with the same user focus. I'd probably settle for rte player app in boxee.

Hooks up to Phillips 40" 720p TV, good TV and blu ray looks great on it. Won't be splashing out for 1080p for a while
    Sound is provided by Creative GigaWorks 7.1 THX speaker system in 5.1 configuration.
    Network Storage is provided by a 1TB TimeCapsule. I'm considering going for the 2TB version that's just been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭meob

NAS: ReadyNAS NV+ :: 256MB Memory :: 4 x 1 TB Western Digital :: Raidiator 4.1.4
    NAS: ReadyNAS PRO :: 1 GB Memory :: 6 * 1.5 TB Seagate :: Raidiator 4.2.1
    NAS: ReadyNAS DUO :: 256MB Memory :: 1 * 250 GB Western Digital :: Raidiator 4.1.4
    NAS: ReadyNAS NVX :: 1GB Memory :: 4 * 500 GB Seagate
    Router: Netgear SRXN3205 Gigabit -5 Ghz 11N :: Switch: GS108T8 :: HD Bridge: WNHDE111B
    Macs :: Macbook Pro OS X 10.6 / PCs :: W7 RC / XP-Mini Audio Production System
    Media Players: WHS Server RAID 10 1 TB - Netgear EVA9000 *2 / EVA8000 *1 / MP101 * 1 / XBMC (XBOX 1)
    HTPC: XBMC / quad core | Gaming: PS3 / X360 / Wii / XBMC
    TV: Samsung 52" LCD-TV LE52A656 --Full HD, 100Hz, DVB-T / Samsung 40" LCD-TV LE40R71B
    Automation: Logitech Harmony One

HTPC:

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA 9800 1GB beast
    Antec Fusion Remote Max HTPC Enclosure
    Hauppauge HD PVR
    Sky HD+
    Dusky Control - USB Controller (This controller allows you to control one Sky or Sky+ box from a PC via USB)
    IP Power 9258S Web Power switch + Power Reboot by Ping
    4:1 ATLONA HDMI + DIGITAL AUDIO SWITCH SELECTOR WITH IR
    JOYTECH COMPONENT/S-VIDEO/OPTICAL/LAN SWITCH HD READY
    Hot Link XL and Emitter Expansion Kit

Ok the trick here was to get the sky HD piped to W7MC with a FULL epg in 1080p with 5.1 sound - and it works!

not for the faint hearted, its a amazing setup, now I can archive all my sky HD stuff in full 1080p & 5.1 to my NAS, unlimited storage !

you'll need this:

http://dvblogic.com/hdpvr.php

a serious labour of love but well worth it.

I use XMBC and my EVA9000 to steam HD content all over the house and the xbox 360 can extend the TV from for HTPC to another room.

2vbrk9d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

sky hd in media center
    hi meob

I am highly intrigued as to how you get the hd content into mce?
    what's the process exactly and are those 'dusky' boxes better than the standard usb controllers for channel changing in media center?

- i followed the link you put in thread but am not sure how it's done exactly? for example assuming you're using the hauppauge hdpvr with component input? my sky hd box doesn't have component out? just hdmi?

- any help greatly appreciated

steve

stevejazzx wrote: »
    sky hd in media center
    hi meob

I am highly intrigued as to how you get the hd content into mce?
    what's the process exactly and are those 'dusky' boxes better than the standard usb controllers for channel changing in media center?

- i followed the link you put in thread but am not sure how it's done exactly? for example assuming you're using the hauppauge hdpvr with component input? my sky hd box doesn't have component out? just hdmi?

- any help greatly appreciated

steve

the dusky box is for channel changing only, traditionally this is doe with IR buds taped over the IR eye of the sky box & channel changed are blasted this way - not always reliable using IR

the dusky box removes IR from the setup and is controlled over usb -> dusky -> sky box (via RF connection same as if you were setting up a sky-eye for tv viewing in a 2nd room...)

using the dusky box is 100% reliable for channel changes.

as for piping the sky HD signal into media center, you will need component outputs on your sky box. on my Thompson, its outputs via hdmi & component at same time.

the HD video feed from component is piped into the HD PVR box which is connected to pc via usb 2 (use dedicated usb controller)

the DVBlink software then installs dummy DVB-S tuners (4) in the PC.

The DVB-S tuners pick up the HD signal from the HD PVR and pipe that into W7MC including optical audio.

setup W7MC as usual with region settings to get your EPG data

here is some more info:

http://mediacenterhd.blogspot.com/

hope this helps!

• Advertisement

meob wrote: »
    the dusky box is for channel changing only, traditionally this is doe with IR buds taped over the IR eye of the sky box & channel changed are blasted this way - not always reliable using IR

the dusky box removes IR from the setup and is controlled over usb -> dusky -> sky box (via RF connection same as if you were setting up a sky-eye for tv viewing in a 2nd room...)

using the dusky box is 100% reliable for channel changes.

as for piping the sky HD signal into media center, you will need component outputs on your sky box. on my Thompson, its outputs via hdmi & component at same time.

the HD video feed from component is piped into the HD PVR box which is connected to pc via usb 2 (use dedicated usb controller)

the DVBlink software then installs dummy DVB-S tuners (4) in the PC.

The DVB-S tuners pick up the HD signal from the HD PVR and pipe that into W7MC including optical audio.

setup W7MC as usual with region settings to get your EPG data

here is some more info:

http://mediacenterhd.blogspot.com/

hope this helps!

very cool -thank you.
    now how to get my hands on a sky box with component out!
    those hd recordings are probably massive i imagine?

the thompson sky hd boxes are the one you want, seems to be a few on ebay.co.uk

the recordings can be variable, but i have mine set to max quality @ 13.5mbps

2GB for s spongebob episode,.

8 to 10 GB for a movie

one of these leads will do the trick for getting video from your box -> hdpvr

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=hdmi+to+component

then just use optical for the audio

Ok
    For some reason I haven't come across HDMI to component cables before?
    I'll try and pick one of those up.

Thanks agian man

One last quesiton can you still record to Skyhd box via second coax if first feed goes to your htpc?

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Ok
    For some reason I haven't come across HDMI to component cables before?
    I'll try and pick one of those up.

Thanks agian man

One last quesiton can you still record to Skyhd box via second coax if first feed goes to your htpc?

sure! i have 2 coax coming from the dish into the sky box.
    the component video signal is piped to media center, which leaves the other tuner in the sky box for your other recording needs.

for the channel changing, it uses a rf connection -> dusky box

i use it to record hd movies, then i rip them to .m2ts when i have spare time to do so. full quality!

heres another teaser ;-)

working on my logos...

282nz48.png

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Hi ,
    I thought I'd add my setup to the list .

TV - Sony 40W2000

AV Reciever - Denon 3803

Speakers - Acoustic Energy , AE109 front left & right & AE109C centre. Mission 731 for surround.

Sky HD

My HTPC has been running stable since March 09 , originally with XP and I recently upgraded to Win 7x64 .

Case - Silverstone CW02 - Silver

Motherboard - GigaByte GA-MA780G-UD3H ATX

Processor - AMD Athlon X2 5050e

RAM - Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,
    Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's

Hard Drives -

Toshiba 160GB laptop drive , for Windows , programs , etc.

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB , for music MP3's , various files etc.

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB , for TV series box sets

Samsung Spinpoint 1.5TB , for DVD rips, Movies, etc.

PSU - Corsair HX620 Modular power supply.

DVD/BluRay - LG GGC-H20L, Blu-Ray & HD-DVD Reader

Compro S350 DVB-S tv card.

Running Windows 7 64bit , and using MediaPortal .

Controlled perfectly by a Harmony One

photo%203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pauliewha

I am using Sagetv software (sagemc) on a dell core2, 4 gig server pc with 2.5 tb of storage .A hauppauge wintv 150 for analogue tv and to display and control my skybox, a HVR 900HD for a second analogue tuner and for digital freeview, and a usb tecknotrend 3200 s2 hd for freesat. I have 2 hauppauge MVP (connected to 1x crt 21" and 1x lg 32 lcd) units as extenders and one sage hd extender (connected to 40 lcd). I also have sagetv placeshifter on my laptop so I can use my sage setup on the move. The sage setup is the dogs rod, far better than windows mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Case: Antec Fusion Black
    CPU/Mobo: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE & MSI 785GM-E65
    PSU: Antec Neo 420w
    HDD: Maxtor 250GB & Maxtor 500GB
    Mem: 2x 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC-12800 DDR3
    Optical: LG DVD-RW drive
    Video Capture: Hauppauge 150 WinTV
    Software: Windows 7 running Media Browser
    Remote: Harmony 525

Goes through Sony HDSTR800 to 40" Samsung LCD
    Sound Klipsch HD Theater 500 5.1

I use Linksys DMA2100 extenders in other rooms for films and music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mande01

Meob, I am seriously impressed with your set up man.

By any chance you didn't document your efforts?
    Or point one to a good starting point. Unfortunately I have very little money but really want to have sky plus type stuff on our cable connection here in Dungarvan.

Any info would be great.

And again I love you set up!

Der

P.S. do you use an off site back up? or just at the neighbours or something?

Advertisement