Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross - Proposed "Docks Hotel Festival" and guess who? JEDWARD! AGAIN! (MOD NOTE)

• 08-05-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Docks Hotel (Portovino to most of us) are hoping to get permission to use John St Carpark from the council for a festival on July 14th and 15th (I think).

Lots of bands and acts hopefully playing, (to be honest I haven't heard of a lot of them) the headline act you ask? Jedward. Again. 3rd Year in a row.

Is it just me or is the whole annual Jedward Festival (my proposed new name for the Dunbrody Fest) getting a bit tired?

-- EDIT --

Mod Note

Businesses who wish to post on Boards must speak with the Community Managers at hello@boards.ie if they wish to engage on any forum on this website. That is part of the Terms and Conditions we all agreed to on using this site. The mods have no say in who does or does not get such accounts. It is done to validate the business to ensure they are who they say they are (preventing any legal issues in the event we let a randomer claim to be someone and it turned out they were not) and ensure that if its a for-profit business and they are using Boards purely for financial gain that they pay to use the service and within certain rules as Boards is not a service that is cheap nor free to run. They have bills just like any other business, and its very expensive operation.

I would hope that other businesses would understand this. We want to ensure that both sides get a say in this argument, but both sides must be fair and not pretend to be someone independent with no connections to the festival when posting here either for or against. Shilling in the form of sock puppetry, again for or against, is also against the site rules and we have systems in place to detect such abuse taking place on the forum and are aware of such ongoing on this forum and action will be taken once confirmed.

Any problems, or questions, just send me a PM on the subject. But I wanted to remind everyone of above so that it stops right now and does not continue.

Thanks.

Sully
    South East Forum Moderator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

A lot of it will depend on whether the Town Council grants them permission or not. I personally think it will get the go ahead and rightfully so too. New Ross town needs it, and it's great to see the people who run the docks trying to organise such an event. But once they build a stage in Johns Street car park, the only problem from what I can see would be space. It could get a little crammed, as the area around there isn't that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Conas wrote: »
    A lot of it will depend on whether the Town Council grants them permission or not. I personally think it will get the go ahead and rightfully so too. New Ross town needs it, and it's great to see the people who run the docks trying to organise such an event. But once they build a stage in Johns Street car park, the only problem from what I can see would be space. It could get a little crammed, as the area around there isn't that big.

Yeah, I agree that it would be great for the town. It's just Jedward really put me off it and I would imagine that a lot of their usual clientèle might not go because of it either. On top of all that Jedward don't match up with the other acts named in the New Ross Standard at all audience wise.

I would imagine that if it goes ahead, it wouldn't be a very big event. Like you said it's not a huge area. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed off John St for it for safety, increasing the crowd area again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I hope this works ......why wait for the Town Council / Festival Committee

They have €11,000 in the bank and still cannot organise something .

This initiative is been funded by private enterprise with a starting budget of €30,000..

Its obvious that its going to take private enterprises to help the economy keep going .

Local Governments are in stagnation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I hope this works ......why wait for the Town Council / Festival Committee

Because closing a public car park and roads requires permission and rightly so imo. Anything that brings business to the town is good news but from a health and safety point of few I can only see the Johns street car park as being a nightmare situation - much too small especially if the likes of Jedward are going to be there !.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Because closing a public car park and roads requires permission and rightly so imo. Anything that brings business to the town is good news but from a health and safety point of few I can only see the Johns street car park as being a nightmare situation - much too small especially if the likes of Jedward are going to be there !.

+1

That's what my only concern would have been aswell. It's just too small an area, and they would have to erect a decent sized stage aswell. For Jedward they would get a very big crowd, and there would be an awful lot of children crammed into a tight space, when you take that into consideration it would be very dangerous. If they still wanted some sort of festival to go ahead it should be in the park. But a lot of it will boil down to finances, and to be honest the reason it was cancelled in the first place was for that very reason. On the grounds of Health and Safety this may not get the go ahead. It's a pity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

Had a read in the Echo and some of the bands mentioned would draw an older crowd than Jedward, (Royseven, Aslan and The Four of Us). If it was real bands like that in the smaller setting, it could be really good for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

According to the New Ross Standard today, the Bond Store car park is to be opened again, creating 200 extra spaces. Hopefully that will suffice.

BTW, kudos to everyone involved in getting this off the ground. Times are hard for all businesses and it's great to see people taking a risk on bringing a bit of extra life into the town.

Its understandable enough that you wish to hold this Festival in the vicinity of the Docks Hotel .

But can I ask if the usual venue Town Park was ever an option .

Delighted to hear that it is going ahead , but like everyone else , the only concern is area size.

The NR Standard says that the festival will attract more than 4,000 music fans .

We now know that Jedward / Sunday is limited to 1,500 tickets .

But with Jedward now in the Euro final and all , you could find more than double the expected visitors especially if Eurovision goes well .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Cleaned pending business identity verification

(The above applies to those who spotted posts since removed. Everyone else can disregard this :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Well Fair play to the docks hotel for doing something for the town

unlike the New Ross Town Council who do NOTHING!!!!!

looking forward to the festival :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Riddim Bandit

Just wondering how much Jedward will take this year. And what "real" bands you could get for that money.
    Ohh, ill never forgive TC for dropping Fun Lovin Criminals.

The festival has been CANCELLED. It's on the front page of the New Ross Standard today. The Docks has also been hit with a €10,000 loss because of it.

The event manager Mark Dunne claimed that the festival has been derailed by a 'deliberate and sustained campaign by a small sub section of the business community".

This is disgraceful behaviour, and by right he should have named and shamed those business's concerned. People pump money into doing something for the town, and this is what they get. I'm also guessing it's the same bunch of dopey clowns that objected to allowing Dunnes to open on the quay a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

I would love to know who are these small sub section of the business community

The CHEEK of them who ever they are! i would actually boycott their businesses if i found out !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Surely the festival would be good for local businesses or am I missing something here?

Chagan wrote: »
    Surely the festival would be good for local businesses or am I missing something here?

It would be for every other town in the country, but not for New Ross though.

A lot of the business people who have been around the town for decades seem to think they own the place, and the town council are the biggest farce in the country run by incompetent stooges. So when you have a combo like that then the town is guaranteed to be going backwards. In my opinion the docks is the best business in town. Run by a good management with great staff. The crowds they get each week is proof of that. When the town council decided to piss money down the drain, and cancel the one thing that brought people into the town, the docks took their own initiative in trying to do something fun for the people of the town, and even pumped in their own money into it. It's a spit in the face for them, and if I was Mark Dunne I wouldn't take this lying down. I'd push to keep the festival going ahead, and screw these arseholes who are trying to ruin the town.

I would love to know who are these small sub section of the business community

The CHEEK of them who ever they are! i would actually boycott their businesses if i found out !!!!!

So who could the small subsection of the business community be ?

Its unlikely to be restaurants / take-aways ..........certainly not publicans .

Could'nt see supermarkets or small shops complaining .

Hair-dressers / beauty salons etc should'nt care - nor other hotel / theatre etc

It could be the John Street traders or indeed the organisers of the cancelled festival , who may be afraid that this would turn into an annual event and out-do the much renowned JFK Dunbrody Festival .

It could be the John Street traders or indeed the organisers of the cancelled festival , who may be afraid that this would turn into an annual event and out-do the much renowned JFK Dunbrody Festival .

There should be no speculation, these people should be named and shamed. They are nothing but saboteurs. This is when you need the Town Council to step in and show some leadership, but sadly they can't even spell leadership let alone show it. The only thing they were good for was issuing people who parked their car in the town with fines, then wasted it. The only decent business in town has been screwed out of €10,000. I'm not happy with The Docks that they haven't printed and exposed these saboteurs who have ruined their festival. But maybe if someone in the Docks had been on the elite no good for nothing Town Council the festival would be going ahead. Certain special business's in Ross tend to be looked after by their cronies in the town council, so I doubt they'll intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joey2222

Its not the Johns Street traders either. I spoke to a few of them and apparently the Guards rang around last week asking if The Docks had spoken to any of them about the concert. Turns out they hadn't but it wasn't an issue for them really. A good few of them had tickets for it too!! Then a local business person turned up asking a few of them had they any concerns about parking,broken windows etc. I suppose they had but no more than any normal weekend. I think there was some concerns written down to be given to the guys in The Docks but nothing unreasonable just stuff like if there was anything broken who would pay for repairs. Then the guys from The Docks called around to the traders at the end of last week and chatted with them all individually about any concerns they had. That was great no problem it went well. Then front page of The Standard Tuesday morning had that it was cancelled!!!
    The John Street traders as well as other local businesses were shocked. Whatever happened over the weekend must have been serious enough for them to have to move the event indoors. I heard a rumor about a solicitor letter but from whom I don't know and what it contained is even more of a mystery?!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭bohspunks

Docks need to be a lot more specific on this as there are people talking about boycotting downtown shops etc.

Who objected? Did the council then refuse permission or did the Guards refuse permission etc.

One for the local papers to look into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

joey2222 wrote: »
    Its not the Johns Street traders either. I spoke to a few of them and apparently the Guards rang around last week asking if The Docks had spoken to any of them about the concert. Turns out they hadn't but it wasn't an issue for them really. A good few of them had tickets for it too!! Then a local business person turned up asking a few of them had they any concerns about parking,broken windows etc. I suppose they had but no more than any normal weekend. I think there was some concerns written down to be given to the guys in The Docks but nothing unreasonable just stuff like if there was anything broken who would pay for repairs. Then the guys from The Docks called around to the traders at the end of last week and chatted with them all individually about any concerns they had. That was great no problem it went well. Then front page of The Standard Tuesday morning had that it was cancelled!!!
    The John Street traders as well as other local businesses were shocked. Whatever happened over the weekend must have been serious enough for them to have to move the event indoors. I heard a rumor about a solicitor letter but from whom I don't know and what it contained is even more of a mystery?!

Thats a very long and interesting first post!
    hmmmm:rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

joey2222 wrote: »

What you said makes no sense to me whatsoever. Mark Dunne said it was a deliberate and sustained effort by local business's. So cleary someone has be trying to sabotage this festival since it was first annouced. Lets go through the traders that are located in Johns Street shall we.

There's Walsh Pratice which is always closed off by large gates at closing time. So they should really have no objections, or worries about damage to their property.

There's the little shop beside it. Would they have reason to object? I doubt it, because they'd stand to gain the most by having such a festival.

Then there's Eyecatchers, and Sam McCauley's up there too. They may have reason to object, but if any damage had occured to their property they'd be well covered because of both being National Companies.

Go down the street a bit more, you have Ephesus Kebab. Not a hope in hell of them ever objecting.

Quirkes Dental Surgery wouldn't either I'd say. Very sound people run that place.

There's Barrow Office Supplies there too, who sponser a lot of events in the town. Be very suprised if they opposed it.

It's one of the business over the town I'd say.

Its already been said above that its not the John St traders ( by joey2222)

I think a lot of local business is ruled out at this stage .

And its unlikely to be the butchers , the baker or candlestick makers .........so the options are narrowing .

Its already been said above that its not the John St traders ( by joey2222)

I think a lot of local business is ruled out at this stage .

And its unlikely to be the butchers , the baker or candlestick makers .........so the options are narrowing .

Well I doubt that the business who objected is going to come out and admit it, because people will boycott their business. But I think if they were throwing out solictor letters, then the public are entitled to know who they are, and the reasoning behind it. The Docks shouldn't been screwed out of €10,000, a festival cancelled, and no one gets an explanation.

Official Statement from the New Ross Summer Festival Organisers
    OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

New Ross Summer Festival Fights On

As we all know at this point we have been left with no alternative but to cancel the outdoor events for this year’s event.
    However due to an outpouring of support from local retailers and general public, we will be running our over 18's event within the Docks Hotel.
    Unfortunately our all ages gig with Jedward is cancelled and refunds are being processed for those who bought online.
    Those who purchased tickets in the Docks Hotel can be refunded immediately, please note that tickets need to be presented.
    Saturday’s line up is as follows, Original Rudeboys, Bipolar Empire and Campaign LK.
    Sundays show will be King Kong Company and Smash Hits.
    Tickets are available online and are priced at €10.00 + booking fee, please note that these events are for over 18's.

We have received a lot of support from the retailers of New Ross expressing their support for the event and we would like to make it very clear that when we referenced a small section of the business community in our original statement we had not intended to tar all business in the area with the one brush.
    The campaign was spear headed by a local business that is not involved in retail in the town.
    We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the retailers that have come forward offering support over the last few days and it proves to us that there is a vibrant and determined business community in New Ross.
    This community holds to key to New Ross's future and it is their vision as is ours to build New Ross into a town that can hold its head high and make it a favoured destination for tourists.

We have worked hard to reschedule our events indoors at the Docks Hotel and we urge the public to support this event and can promise some great and memorable gigs.
    We would like to thank New Ross Town Council for their continued support for the event and an old saying rings true now more than ever........ "The show must go on"
    We look forward to hosting some of Ireland's top acts and we also look forward to next year’s plans.

"We have received a lot of support from the retailers of New Ross expressing their support for the event and we would like to make it very clear that when we referenced a small section of the business community in our original statement we had not intended to tar all business in the area with the one brush.
    The campaign was spear headed by a local business that is not involved in retail in the town.
    We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the retailers that have come forward offering support over the last few days and it proves to us that there is a vibrant and determined business community in New Ross.
    This community holds to key to New Ross's future and it is their vision as is ours to build New Ross into a town that can hold its head high and make it a favoured destination for tourists"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A local business that is not involved in retail in the town? Now the Docks has to do a little more explaining, because I'll tell you one thing, if this is the case, then I'm embarassed for them. Being bullied by a crowd that aren't even retailing in the town. These folks should have no say in anything that happens, and should mind their own business, and quiet simply f*ck off. It would be handy if the festival organizers would be a bit more detailed as to who they are, since supposedly they aren't from the town :rolleyes:

Something tells me the Docks could be trying to riddle their way out of a tricky situation from that statement. Maybe they went over budget, and couldn't cope with the cost of organizing such an event. They had a lot of acts, and I doubt Jedward come cheap either.

Since this business is out of town as they say, it really isn't an excuse for not having the festival. No excuse whatsoever. The Docks bottled it, they would have made a loss from the whole thing, and it wasn't worth it. So now it's someone else fault, someone out of town. :rolleyes: Nice try, but try again.

Can also confirm that the New Ross Traders association have asked some local Town Councillors to ask the Docks management to name and shame who they believe to be responsible for the “deliberate and consistent attempt from a small section of the New Ross Business community to derail the event and stop it in its tracks”

Can also confirm that the New Ross Traders association have asked some local Town Councillors to ask the Docks management to name and shame who they believe to be responsible for the “deliberate and consistent attempt from a small section of the New Ross Business community to derail the event and stop it in its tracks”

Some people on Facebook are offended, and think us folks on boards (mainly me) are bashing local businesses. Not true at all. If a statement from the Docks makes the front page of the Standard, and says that the festival was derailed by a 'deliberate and sustained campaign by a small sub section of the business community", then of couse people are going to attack the local business's, because everyone would think those were the ones to blame from that statement. It was up to the docks to make sure they had a correct and fully accurate statement before it went to print, and they should have made sure to announce it was a business OUTSIDE of town, which would have made a massive difference to people's immediate reactions. Bottom Line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joey2222

"We have received a lot of support from the retailers of New Ross expressing their support for the event and we would like to make it very clear that when we referenced a small section of the business community in our original statement we had not intended to tar all business in the area with the one brush.
    This community holds to key to New Ross's future and it is their vision as is ours to build New Ross into a town that can hold its head high and make it a favoured destination for tourists"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A local business that is not involved in retail in the town? Now the Docks has to do a little more explaining, because I'll tell you one thing, if this is the case, then I'm embarassed for them. Being bullied by a crowd that aren't even retailing in the town. These folks should have no say in anything that happens, and should mind their own business, and quiet simply f*ck off. It would be handy if the festival organizers would be a bit more detailed as to who they are, since supposedly they aren't from the town :rolleyes:

Something tells me the Docks could be trying to riddle their way out of a tricky situation from that statement. Maybe they went over budget, and couldn't cope with the cost of organizing such an event. They had a lot of acts, and I doubt Jedward come cheap either.

Since this business is out of town as they say, it really isn't an excuse for not having the festival. No excuse whatsoever. The Docks bottled it, they would have made a loss from the whole thing, and it wasn't worth it. So now it's someone else fault, someone out of town. :rolleyes: Nice try, but try again.

This was my original thought too. How can a local business objecting close the whole thing down?? If you were that invested you would just plough ahead regardless, so what if a few people had their noses out of joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

+1. Bottom line is The Docks cancelled the festival, not the Guards, or the Health and Safety people, or Fire officers, or The Town Council etc etc. On that basis the alleged reason for cancelling the event makes no sense to me. TBH I never believed it anyway. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

So it's not a festival any more, its just a gig.

Advertisement