Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to crack open a cash box?

• 10-01-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Our office cash box was locked, as it is supposed to be. Then we moved office. Now the cash box keys have gone missing. :(

Anyone got an idea of how to open le cash box? Its pretty much the same as this one.

Before smartarse comments get thrown about:

Yes the cash box is mine, I didn't steal/borrow/buy it from a dodgy source. ;)
    No I won't stand on it/smash it off a wall/let a brick accidentaly fall on it, unless all else fails. :(

If I bought the same one again, would the key fit both?

Suggestions please?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A hammer!! Or try a locksmiths!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Leave it with me for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A: Bring to lock smith
    B: Use heavy duty drill with metal bit to drill lock open

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Those things are very easy to pick the lock off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Dynamite FTW :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Buy a crowbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Get a sturdy knife and jimmy it open, the lock isn't that strong on them yokes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

some c4 should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just tested one here. I reckon a screw driver and a sufficient amount of leverage and force would wedge it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

allegedly, either hold it upside down and hop it off something solid, or throw it on to the ground. either way, make sure it's upside down. allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I just tested one here.

Lol! I'll send you mine when I have it open, then you can have 2 broken ones :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

yore ma?

na sorry someone had to say it. locksmith seems like a good idea but will they open them for security reasons? i reckon 2 paperclips and go mcgyver on that thing...

• Angle grinder? Would think any builder, carpenter or mechanic could get you one and you can cut it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

If you were going to buy a new one to see if that key would work (obviously it wouldn't) then why not just bust this one open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A locksmith will open it, provided you aren't wearing your striped jersey and eye mask when you approach them.

Alternatively: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_picking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

sjones wrote:
    If you were going to buy a new one to see if that key would work (obviously it wouldn't) then why not just bust this one open?

I only thought about that after.. and then I busted it open :D 2 knives and a bit of sweat got it after.

I thought the keys might be the same ie. bedroom door keys being the same in every 2nd or 3rd house.

Danke for the suggestions. TNT will be used next time though, might as well make an event out of it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:) You took my advice about the knife.

Or perhaps it was your Avatar that was the inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I've found using the file on a nail clipper will open it with out a problem. However I can't say the same for closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

thermite its surprisingly easy to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Dammit, too late, i was gonna say i have the same box at home and i found it in the attic after i cleaned out my room and lost the keys so i just (out of curiousity) tried to pick the lock and found that if you look into the lock there is a small bar that you can push down with one of those small screwdrivers then put a second one in to allow you to turn the barrel and thats it, job done.

When i got mine open i found the keys inside......and 20quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

xzanti wrote:
    Dynamite FTW :D

Pfft, only nuclear explosives could crack this mother. Slightly dangerous. How much is in the safe I wonder, and would it pay for the nuclear fallout do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was in a similar situation, just hours before a concert, the tickets were in a cash box, and the keys were 50 miles away with my mother in Waterford. I simply threw the box, out the window (upstairs) and it smashed open on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My advice would be a ladies hair clip and or a few paper-clips plus some patience. I actually once managed to open a padlock of which I had mislaid the key this way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://images.google.ie/images?q=anglegrinderman ;)

Drill the lock, once you open the you can remove the clip holding it

a jigsaw in the gap where between the halves just above the lock

fill it with water and put in the freezer overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

DID NOBODY ACTUALY LOOK AT THE BOX???????

Its not that sofisticated that you need to go drilling or cutting or freezing or bashing anything. to cocktail stick would do it for god sake lol.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Drill a hole in it, fill it full of water and drop in a tiny bomb. That should open it... I did not steal this from the Score. This idea is 100% mine... ;)

Advertisement