Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges for Newbridge : A comparison

• 31-03-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up if you are renewing.

I priced 3 companies for one full year and full size 240L bins.

Ray Whelan : €252 for the year - 2 bins provided. Waste and recycle both 240L

http://www.raywhelanltd.com/

AES Recycling Plus : €324.50 They would not do one full year charge so broke it down to the following - 4 bins provided : 240L waste and recycle with small organic and glass bin. No charge for recycle or glass.

€54 for 6 months and €79 for the rest of the year but was told this is definitely going up hence no full year charge. Then add €7.25 for each of the 26 lifts of waste bin we would have (€188.50) and €3 for each organic bin lift. We only do this in the spring and summer so 10 lifts (€30)

http://www.aesirl.ie/household-customers/prices-and-plans

AES Value plus : €293. 4 bins as above but without the lift charge.

This breaks down as follows: There is a deal for signing up online with €134 for 6 months and then €159 for the rest of the year. But again, the second half of the year price is due to rise.

Oxigen : €276 or €252 depending on payment method. 3 bins provided. All are 240L. Waste, recycle and organic. No extra charges.

If you choose to pay by monthly installments of €23 then the total is €276 but if you choose to pay for one full year then it is dropped to €21 x 12 which equals €252

http://www.oxigen.ie/kildare-introductory-offer

I choose to stick with Oxigen this year and based on above it represents the best value. As an aside, I got this for €199 last year but talked to their rep (mobile on the Oxigen website) and he told me this was because of aggressive pricing by Ray Whelan. This offer is no longer valid as Ray has upped his prices. Thank God for competition.

Also, if you happen to be a Oxigen employee reading this...can I suggest someone fix your awful website. It has no pricing structure whatsoever but both of your competitors list theirs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Tell oxygen you'll fix up their website in return for free bins for the year.If you can do web design that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ray Whelan also do a monthly bottle collection for that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'm with AES. Costs me €264 for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

foodaholic wrote: »
    Ray Whelan also do a monthly bottle collection for that price

At the beginning of this year, I was looking at moving away from AES over their pricing.

Enquired with RW. First time phoning them, they said they didn't call to our estate, yet on follow-up call, they admitted they do call.

The fact, their call-centre didn't know they called to the estate makes me wonder as to their efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have to say they are very good. I was originally with AES - but they seemed to forget to collect our bins at least once a month . Spent most my time onto their customer services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dubred

I was with the Council, which outsourced to AES, I rang them several times around Christmas to get pricing for the next year and got told they hadn't decided yet or probably the same as last year. They failed to pick up the waste bin after Christmas.

So I switched to Thorntons in January, €50 annual charge, €7.50 per general waste lift (will have 15-18 of these per year), free recycling, €4.20 for a compost bin lift (have a compost bin in the garden so won't use this), should work out at less than €200 for the year. It took a while to get the bins, they said they were under pressure with switchers from the Greyhound debacle in Dublin. It also took a few phone calls to get access to the online account. If another provider was anywhere close in pricing I would not have persisted with this ordeal.
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-kildare-sign-up

I had looked at Ray Whelan, the website was a mess, so didn't pursue it any further. I contacted Oxigen via their website, but they took so long to get back to me, I had moved on.

I still can't get AES to take away the old bins though. They said leave them out for 2 weeks, which I did and they did not collect, I emailed them again and they told me they would be collected the next day (yesterday), which they weren't.

I get the impression that the 'service' providers are not used to doing Customer Service as their revenue stream was from the construction sector during the boom, now they have to deal with the domestic customer and don't know how.

Having said all of that, I find the multiple provider system insane, we have 5 providers coming in to our estate, each with 2 or 3 different bins. It doesn't make any sense from either a green or business perspective for 5 companies to cover the same ground, nor does it make sense from a safety perspective to have extra heavy vehicles in housing estates. I would have thought it better to have them tender for designated zones/areas, although the choices made by Kildare Co Co and Dublin City would not fill me with confidence that it would benefit the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Damien360

dubred wrote: »

Having said all of that, I find the multiple provider system insane, we have 5 providers coming in to our estate, each with 2 or 3 different bins. It doesn't make any sense from either a green or business perspective for 5 companies to cover the same ground, nor does it make sense from a safety perspective to have extra heavy vehicles in housing estates. I would have thought it better to have them tender for designated zones/areas, although the choices made by Kildare Co Co and Dublin City would not fill me with confidence that it would benefit the consumer.

This is called competition. Without it, you would be paying a hell of a lot more for your bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 llilly

Damien360 wrote: »
    Just a heads up if you are renewing.

I priced 3 companies for one full year and full size 240L bins.

Ray Whelan : €252 for the year - 2 bins provided. Waste and recycle both 240L

http://www.raywhelanltd.com/

AES Recycling Plus : €324.50 They would not do one full year charge so broke it down to the following - 4 bins provided : 240L waste and recycle with small organic and glass bin. No charge for recycle or glass.

€54 for 6 months and €79 for the rest of the year but was told this is definitely going up hence no full year charge. Then add €7.25 for each of the 26 lifts of waste bin we would have (€188.50) and €3 for each organic bin lift. We only do this in the spring and summer so 10 lifts (€30)

http://www.aesirl.ie/household-customers/prices-and-plans

AES Value plus : €293. 4 bins as above but without the lift charge.

This breaks down as follows: There is a deal for signing up online with €134 for 6 months and then €159 for the rest of the year. But again, the second half of the year price is due to rise.

Oxigen : €276 or €252 depending on payment method. 3 bins provided. All are 240L. Waste, recycle and organic. No extra charges.

If you choose to pay by monthly installments of €23 then the total is €276 but if you choose to pay for one full year then it is dropped to €21 x 12 which equals €252

http://www.oxigen.ie/kildare-introductory-offer

I choose to stick with Oxigen this year and based on above it represents the best value. As an aside, I got this for €199 last year but talked to their rep (mobile on the Oxigen website) and he told me this was because of aggressive pricing by Ray Whelan. This offer is no longer valid as Ray has upped his prices. Thank God for competition.

Also, if you happen to be a Oxigen employee reading this...can I suggest someone fix your awful website. It has no pricing structure whatsoever but both of your competitors list theirs.
    you should try thorntons

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Play Bunny

Sticking with ray whelan, the other 2 are spanners, aes couldnt sort a piss up in a brewery ive ha bad customer service dealings with them in the past incl when we moved into our new house, wrote a letter of complaint & it wasnt even acknowleged, oxigen u get to talk to an automated service & pls leave a message so if they think its worthy they ring u back...no thanks!...

im a patient person and i give any1 the benefit but no way to the above, at least with ray whelans they sort you straight away and advise you well in advance of price increases/deals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Was with AES but left them due to rubbish (haha) customer service. They still haven't taken away the old bins. With Oxigen now - no problems so far.

• Advertisement

u may as well be whistling dixy with trying to get them to collect the old bins, the only way we could do it at the time was threaten to cut them up, they collected soon after lol, we still have 1 for our fire wood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dubred

Play Bunny wrote: »
    u may as well be whistling dixy with trying to get them to collect the old bins, the only way we could do it at the time was threaten to cut them up, they collected soon after lol, we still have 1 for our fire wood :D

They collected mine on Thursday after a prolonged email exchange and several no-shows.

Typical, and the gas thing is their van does be around alot...:rolleyes:

Advertisement