Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Correct me if im wrong here.

Train driver contract 39-48 hours a week reach a maximum of €57k per annum after 10 years.

I can only guess thats doing a Sunday each week, shift allowance and 48 hours ..

This is near the money a a bus driver gets after a 6 years pay scale. Working Sunday with shift allowance and doing 48 hours .
    Not including the extra you get for bank holiday work and late breaking.

You are not isolated in a tiny room, you dont have a black box and management breathing down you neck waiting for a mistake and you get to steer the thing.

No drivers do anywhere near 48hrs, most do around 30-35h. Sunday is a normal working day and open to correction shift allowance only for overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No drivers do anywhere near 48hrs, most do around 30-35h. Sunday is a normal working day and open to correction shift allowance only for overtime.

I was thinking that. But it makes me wonder what is in the contract. Can they make you work 48? 6 days a week. Is there going to be new contracts for the new guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Can one of the current drivers outline a typical working week in terms of shifts? I know it's dependent on your depot, but a typical week (in your experience) would still be helpful just to give potential applicants some sort of idea.

Also, are there any opportunities to earn overtime above the yearly salary figures advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Can one of the current drivers outline a typical working week in terms of shifts? I know it's dependent on your depot, but a typical week (in your experience) would still be helpful just to give potential applicants some sort of idea.

Also, are there any opportunities to earn overtime above the yearly salary figures advertised?

All those questions have been answered on the tread already. Not to mention the working time act

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was thinking that. But it makes me wonder what is in the contract. Can they make you work 48? 6 days a week. Is there going to be new contracts for the new guys?

Not sure on specifics but they probably could however as it would be more than your normal rostered hours agreed so think overtime comes into play plus expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Rootsblower

As you said it depends on your depot regarding shift patterns. There is no such thing as overtime. There is however rest day working which means if u work a rest day you just get a flat days pay or day in lieu even if it’s a Sunday.

Expenses only come into play if u are working out of another depot performing relief duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

As you said it depends on your depot regarding shift patterns. There is no such thing as overtime. There is however rest day working which means if u work a rest day you just get a flat days pay or day in lieu even if it’s a Sunday.

Expenses only come into play if u are working out of another depot performing relief duties.

Thanks for the reply Roots.
    Typically, would you usually get two consecutive days off? Would they ever/often be a full weekend, i.e. Saturday and Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Thanks for the reply Roots.
    Typically, would you usually get two consecutive days off? Would they ever/often be a full weekend, i.e. Saturday and Sunday?

Do you not think you are looking for way too much detail at this early stage ? 17500 applicants for 100 jobs . And they are being spread out over a few years . And then there is the internal applications and Irish rail waiting lists . Calm down and wait and see if you get to interview stage at lease is my suggestion

Daz_ wrote: »
    Do you not think you are looking for way too much detail at this early stage ? 17500 applicants for 100 jobs . And they are being spread out over a few years . And then there is the internal applications and Irish rail waiting lists . Calm down and wait and see if you get to interview stage at lease is my suggestion

Terms snd conditions are imperative to someone applying give ober will you

dar100 wrote: »
    Terms snd conditions are imperative to someone applying give ober will you

I see you have missed my point completely . That’s ok , it happens .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

obby1 wrote: »
    do you not find it hypocritical, people do nothing but bitch about IE around her, and now you are salivating at the prospect of getting a IE job?

Doesn't that kind of prove how good the pay and conditions are for the positions? You won't find 17,500 people applying for 100 cashier positions in Dunnes Stores.

I see you have missed my point completely . That’s ok , it happens .

Perhaps the point you were trying to make was in your head, because you certainly didnt articulate it.

Perhaps the point you were trying to make was in your head, because you certainly didnt articulate it.

Oh I think plenty got it alrighty and already know it . It’s not rocket science .You can continue to struggle on with it though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Daz_ wrote:
    Oh I think plenty got it alrighty and already know it . It’s not rocket science .You can continue to struggle on with it though .

Ok. So. What if an individual doesn't ask the questions and puts the time and effort to get to a stage, maybe a year down the track(no pun intended) where they find out the shifts won't work for them and their families? Would it not be better to ask the questions early to determine whether the individual should even apply in the first place?

Again, seeking to find out thr T and C is an important aspect of applying for the job; i see nothing here other than telling this individual to basically just shut up and focus on the tests and to wait. Yiu have alluded to nothing else in this post, so please explain what other point this post explicity was speaking of.

Unless you have some magical powers its highly unlikely you can tell what others have infered from you post. However, given your attempts at reading minds I do suspect you believe in your own omnipotency:)

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Ok. So. What if an individual doesn't ask the questions and puts the time and effort to get to a stage, maybe a year down the track(no pun intended) where they find out the shifts won't work for them and their families? Would it not be better to ask the questions early to determine whether the individual should even apply in the first place?

Foresight is not a strong point with him khaldrogo. I wouldnt give him further time

Yeah, the same people who will fail the verbal comprehension tests😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Got through the first stage and have now completed the rules acquisition, situational judgment and SCAAT.

I found the rules acquisition the easiest and got it done in time. I didn't get close to completing the SCAAT in time.

The situational judgment I really wasn't sure about - I think what they are looking for is a strong focus on 1) safety and 2) customer service. But then there are other more subtle and possibly conflicting aspects like working effectively with colleagues, taking ownership of issues and balancing home and work life brought into the scenarios. In some scenarios being flexible seems like the right option, in others being rigid seems like the right option.

I don't think it's necessarily a good thing if people will "drop everything" and cancel a family event in their home life because of a situation that arose at work yet this was one of the options given in several of the situational judgment scenarios. I think giving credit to people who would do that (or claim that they would in tests such as these) won't necessarily get the best people. To be clear i don't know what Irish Rail are looking for here, as I say I presume safety is paramount but after that not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

superg wrote: »
    Yeah its mad how far ahead of themselves some people get! 17500 people in for 100 jobs and thats a week and a half before the closing date so loads more to join that list too!

I'm in with a chance but I'll be honest I haven't given the chance of actually getting it any thought at all!

Very true, tbh I know my chances are practically zero and I'm not banking on getting far at all, I more or less saw it as a good chance get get practice doing an aptitude teast

I chose 'drop everything' on one of the questions because the I felt it was the best choice in that question. But another question I didn't choose it. I couldn't do anything other than answer the questions honestly and in my current job I have had to 'drop everything' many times before.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the same people who will fail the verbal comprehension tests😀

Loving the bromance there lads , are ye going out tonight ?

You make a fine couple of keyboard warriors

Foresight is not a strong point with him khaldrogo. I wouldnt give him further time

Keep going with the insults see how far it gets you .

Daz_ wrote:
    You make a fine couple of keyboard warriors

Wtf are you shiiiten on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Like I said previously - great thread.

Keep going with the insults see how far it gets you .

Relax there Daz, acting the gangster wont help the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lads could ye not just dial it down?. Anyone posting here is looking for information or advice. No one wants to see a cat fight. Plenty of other fora ye could bicker on .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lads maybe it’s best you two don’t going driving 😜😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Ah that sort of carry on is par for the norm in the public sector.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have seen tweets from people using the tests as a general aptitude test without any intent of going further. If that's in any way widespread the figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

going on previous big recruiment drives (eir, esb etc...)

6,000-10,000 is usually a norm for applicants (obviously will be more with the lucritive IR offer)

application and first round of exams usually reduces numbers to a sixth.... for the number of postions, I can't see them interviewing more and 2 or 3 times the numbers (2-300)....

so they have to whittle down say 15,000, to 300, from what look like 6 phases

(application - 1st test - 2nd test - Driver test - Interview - medical)

Advertisement