Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tom1ie wrote: »
    Tymon parks pretty huge. So is Marlay Park. Don’t know if you can class them as inner Dublin? They’re inside the m50, well half of tymon is anyway.

Certainly not inner Dublin Tom.
    Marlay is practically up the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

The places that come to mind at the top of the head would be Stephens green, merrion square, mountjoy screen and the park down near Christchurch

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From memory, Dublin is in the lower mid tier for green spaces in terms of European cities, I have a feeling if you excluded the Phoenix Park we'd be somewhere near the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

thomasj wrote: »
    The places that come to mind at the top of the head would be Stephens green, merrion square, mountjoy screen and the park down near Christchurch

I would define inner Dublin as about 5km from the city centre.

A city like Munich has dense neighbourhoods but then very large parks very much in the city.

Dublin doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Dont forget the northside. Botanic Gardens, Fairview Park, St. Anne's Park. Heck Bull island is only 7km from O'Connell Bridge. How many other capital cities can you go kite surfing in?

Funnily enough, I've always seen Clontarf and Raheny referred to as low density suburbs, precisely because of St. Anne's and Bull Island.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bray Head wrote: »
    I would define inner Dublin as about 5km from the city centre.

A city like Munich has dense neighbourhoods but then very large parks very much in the city.

Dublin doesn't.

It’s mostly 8-10km from O’Connell Bridge to the M50, so, 5km is half way or over.

Some of Dublin’s highest density areas are underserve by local green areas — ie the Liberties, around O’Connell Street, around Connelly Station, and Smithfield ...all areas with a density of ~10,000+ people per square km but much of it poorly served or poorly linked to green areas or those green areas are poorly managed or not for residents (ie private).

Qrt wrote: »
    Driveways = attachment and dominance of the private car

The area reminds me of areas like Kingswood, Kilnamanagh and Firhouse. All areas of semi-d homogeneity and large driveways. Kingswood has a bus every hour and ten, with Kilnamanagh having no bus and Firhouse set to be served my an orbital only route. I just based by judgement on that.

Where are you getting the density map? I’ve tried to find one for ages!

The CSO / Maynooth maps are good for showing wider variances, but this map shows the average over square kms: https://dancooksonresearch.carto.com/u/dancookson/viz/49ca276c-adf9-454a-8f64-0ccf0e46eed0/embed_map
    Dont forget the northside. Botanic Gardens, Fairview Park, St. Anne's Park. Heck Bull island is only 7km from O'Connell Bridge. How many other capital cities can you go kite surfing in?

Funnily enough, I've always seen Clontarf and Raheny referred to as low density suburbs, precisely because of St. Anne's and Bull Island.

Thr northside has higher density by far than the south side and that includes areas close to St Anns and Bull Island — see the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Wow, excellent map, thanks for that. Beats the usual density per council ward / CSO map that has Raheny as low density. 5709 people per square km where I live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

monument wrote: »
    It’s mostly 8-10km from O’Connell Bridge to the M50, so, 5km is half way or over.

Some of Dublin’s highest density areas are underserve by local green areas — ie the Liberties, around O’Connell Street, around Connelly Station, and Smithfield ...all areas with a density of ~10,000+ people per square km but much of it poorly served or poorly linked to green areas or those green areas are poorly managed or not for residents (ie private).

This the same O'Connell st and Smithfield that are within 10 to 20 minutes walk of the Phoenix park?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This the same O'Connell st and Smithfield that are within 10 to 20 minutes walk of the Phoenix park?

Having missed the last bus getting from Smithfield to O Connell st, this ten minutes is pie in the sky timing

• Advertisement

According to Google Maps, to get to the People’s Gardens inside the main gate of the Phoenix Park, it’s around:

20 minutes from Smithfield
    37 minutes from O’Connell Street
    35 minutes from mid Parnell Street
    45 minutes from Connelly / IFSC

People have to return to, so, you’re talking about 40-90 minutes plus for return trips.

The conditions for pedestrians towards the park is also fairly poor — too much traffic, narrow footpaths, low priority at traffic lights, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is BC a real thing or pie in the sky ? I am just dipping in as I have not been following . Is there dates and funding etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

trellheim wrote: »
    Is BC a real thing or pie in the sky ? I am just dipping in as I have not been following . Is there dates and funding etc ?

It is very real and yes there are dates and allocated funding (can't remember the dates/figures off hand).

That aside BC also seems to be a political playground where some officials throw out all sort of ill-informed "facts" about it via social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I suppose it is as real as anything gets in terms of new infrastructure developments in Ireland (the Childrens Hospital, BertieBowl, McDowell's super-prison, Dublin Metro and the DART interconnector are, or were all "real" to varying degrees including expenditure of large sums of "real" money!).

This gives a timeline for infrastructure aspect of it (least likely bit to go ahead imo - will cost the most extra money and most likely to create political "footballs" and general public hysterics?).

https://busconnects.ie/media/1366/busconnects-timeline-final.pdf

edit: this page gives also gives a timeframe for implementing network changes part of project:

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/dublin-area-bus-network-redesign/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

thanks folks. the amount of wibble wibble I read about it seems to indicate it has the same status as West on Track, which is kind of why I was asking as I couldnt tell whether it was real or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

thanks folks. the amount of wibble wibble I read about it seems to indicate it has the same status as West on Track, which is kind of why I was asking as I couldnt tell whether it was real or not.

Yes, not a transport "anorak" or expert, but it seems a bit more serious than that. There was money allocated in the budget etc.

Found answer to some parliamentary questions on Oireachtas website about it. Answer states "Busconnects" related funding as EUR 750 million over the next 4 years (presume mostly for Dublin Busconnects).

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-07-12/630/#pq-answers-627_628_629_630

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Irish Times continuing to report on the citywide positives of BusConnects rather than repeatedly reporting issues with individual stakeholders

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/busconnects-if-they-take-the-garden-i-won-t-be-able-to-get-the-car-in-1.3750076

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

marno21 wrote: »
    Irish Times continuing to report on the citywide positives of BusConnects rather than repeatedly reporting issues with individual stakeholders

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/busconnects-if-they-take-the-garden-i-won-t-be-able-to-get-the-car-in-1.3750076
    Saw that. On the same day The Guardian has this: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jan/08/how-an-emerging-african-megacity-cut-commutes-by-two-hours-a-day-dar-es-salaam

Compare & contrast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is just after 9.30am at Donnycarney Church on the Malahide Road, north Dublin, where buses and cars whizz by every minute. Some cyclists take to the footpath, as conditions appear safer there than on the roadside.

Who wrote this ****e? Anyone who cycles on the path at that junction is an utter buffoon. Not that I've ever really seen it in the tens of thousands of times I've gone through the junction.

Just by Donnycarney Church is also the point where they already widened the road once so as to have a continuous bus lane and it easily took 15-20 minutes off journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dar is easily the worst city I’ve been in for traffic. Makes Cairo look like a party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

marno21 wrote: »

The quality of journalism in Ireland has always been poor, it's downright hilarious in it's foreign coverage they will often get the UK right but they get the US and it's politics so wrong it's comical.
    They're reporting now how scared Donnie the Fascist should be of Nancy Pelosi and the democrats, the democrats in the US are door mats who are scared of their own shadow (with exception of the new bunch coming in), and Pelosi lost the house to the GOP within 2 years last time without getting any progressive priority other than equal pay for men and women passed. They talk about Donnie getting removed by the 25th or impeached without discussing how next to impossible either of those are to actually do.

With BusConnects though they seem to be engaging in a campaign to actually oppose it.

I got one of the journos alone and asked what in Gods name they're doing with this kind of article, that they know full well the network needs a redesign since their papers done many a story on how stupid the network is atm (number and number-a/b/c on opposite sides of the city, the timetables at stops being from the terminus not when it gets to that stop, bad design of routes etc)

There are apparently a few reasons:

1. It's easy to get something in when things are quiet and you've no ideas. There is always someone disadvantaged by every new plan, go to that minority and let them moan, wholla: article

2. They know the public is cynical about infrastructure plans. Ever since the Metro was first announced by FF then a pin stuck in it by FF (I think Cullen announced the metro more than once too) then canceled by FG then revived by FG, and similar with other plans, that the public is very very cynical with bright new infrastructure plans that are announced (witness the yawn with which Project Ireland 2040 was greeted). Espechally now that we have a Taoiseach who, in contrast to his predecessors treats the job as a purely ceremonial position where he pulls curtains back on plaques and cuts ribbons etc not actually doing anything with the power of the job to fix national problems.
    It's not that people are opposed to many such plans, they just think they'll never actually happen because Luas and metro and BRT taught them that these plans just keep getting kicked down the road indefinitely. Journos play into that prejudice with these kinda stories. People love to whine rather than be constructive or positive. People love to judge, judging makes us feel superior and right, so they love those articles because they make them go "i told ye! it'll never happen they'll make a balls of it"

I've also noticed that journos in Ireland love being negative, they'll never give positive coverage to any govt plan no matter who's plan it is. Of course the one area where we could use a skeptical attitude, the business section, you don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    1. It's easy to get something in when things are quiet and you've no ideas. There is always someone disadvantaged by every new plan, go to that minority and let them moan, wholla: article
    Knock on a few doors, find someone who is annoyed, and make the story about them. Takes about 2 hours and you get your words in for the day.

It's the sort of thing you get in provincial newspapers, it shouldn't be in a national newspaper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

hmmm wrote: »
    Knock on a few doors, find someone who is annoyed, and make the story about them. Takes about 2 hours and you get your words in for the day.

It's the sort of thing you get in provincial newspapers, it shouldn't be in a national newspaper.

Have you read the Irish Times recently?

Story 1: Guardian

Story 2: Financial Times

Story 3: Reuters

Story 4: AFP

etc etc etc. Rinse and repeat.

Not many are Irish Times. Plus most stories are little more than sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not many are Irish Times. Plus most stories are little more than sound bites.
    I think for a paper which prides itself on being in many ways the voice of sense in Ireland, it should balance articles like this with more reasoned pieces. It's not the Daily Mail which measures success with clicks and page views, and loves to stir up controversy as a consequence. The media has a responsibility in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Newspapers often keep stories like this on file to dump when it's quiet, or indeed over the Christmas period too.

Ironically the Dublin Inquirer is a local newspaper, while the Irish Times at least pretends to be a national one.

Despite this the Dublin Inquirer has run the best-informed article on Bus Connects by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dublin Inquirer is a great example of local journalism that is actually intelligent and investigative. Ireland lends itself much more to local journalism, much less to national outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

MJohnston wrote: »
    Dublin Inquirer is a great example of local journalism that is actually intelligent and investigative. Ireland lends itself much more to local journalism, much less to national outlets.

The IT and Indo and Examiner have three elements:

1. News news you can get on websites the day before, not unique stories they've researched themselves (that is nearly unheard of now and it's why old media is being crushed by online and youtube etc it's why for US politics news TYT and Secular Talk and even the ultra lefty Jimmy Dore carry more weight than CNN and MSNBC for under 35s)

2. Foreign news that I already explained is very very poorly understood

3. Opinion which is never unique or interesting or bringing a new perspective, it's always predictable to a tee what a specific commentator will think on an issue, and rarely does the headline have anything to do with the actual argument they make.

This is why they are dying, there is nothing there worth paying for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Phase 2 information is out today. My front garden has survived and sadly, also, my mortgage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

A partial one way ballyfermot road for general traffic..... can’t see that one going down to well with locals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How do TFI get their street infrastructure past aPB and the Corpo? Everything they put in is as ugly as sin but they seem to be able to put them up without let nor hindrance

Advertisement