Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Any word on the Confey to Maynooth Harbour piece? I think it was due to start early 2019 but haven't heard much since the ground investigation works earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

tnegun wrote: »
    Any word on the Confey to Maynooth Harbour piece? I think it was due to start early 2019 but haven't heard much since the ground investigation works earlier in the year.

You're right - I had forgotten that this section has still to be upgraded. The last update on the Royal Canal Greenway website is from Feb 2018 when it was due to start in the first quarter of 2018 and be finished by mid-year! If there are any bike friendly Councillors in Kildare Co Co, they might be able to provide an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You're right - I had forgotten that this section has still to be upgraded. The last update on the Royal Canal Greenway website is from Feb 2018 when it was due to start in the first quarter of 2018 and be finished by mid-year! If there are any bike friendly Councillors in Kildare Co Co, they might be able to provide an update.

If they would just do the 1km stretch from Intel to Carton I would be happy. The rest of the section is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mloc123 wrote: »
    If they would just do the 1km stretch from Intel to Carton I would be happy. The rest of the section is fine.

yep, bit of a tooth rattler alright.

yep, bit of a tooth rattler alright.

Was *okay* after the summer drought... but after a few weeks of rain my 28c slicks were no match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Confey to Co Dublin or even to Clonsilla would be even better.

Confey to Co Dublin or even to Clonsilla would be even better.

Yeah... I am being selfish as Leixlip to Kilcock is my evening training route :pac:

Greenway is closed until March just after Kilcock (heading towards Mullingar).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Greenway is closed until March just after Kilcock (heading towards Mullingar).

Thanks good to know if you look at the royal canal Facebook page that was referenced by others there is a lot of work happening
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2163524227243470&id=1549278628668036

blueballfc wrote: »
    Thanks good to know if you look at the royal canal Facebook page that was referenced by others there is a lot of work happening
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2163524227243470&id=1549278628668036

Looks like work beyond Ferans is coming along.. I was hoping to get that far today for a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are all these projects leading to a point where you will be able to cycle the whole canal on tarmac or will there always be sections of a few km of grass?

Thargor wrote: »
    Are all these projects leading to a point where you will be able to cycle the whole canal on tarmac or will there always be sections of a few km of grass?

Not tarmac, but crushed sand/gravel (which is fine to cycle on 23c tyres). That is the plan. You will be able to cycle from Dublin to Longford along the canal/Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Not tarmac, but crushed sand/gravel (which is fine to cycle on 23c tyres). That is the plan. You will be able to cycle from Dublin to Longford along the canal/Greenway.

It's a great facility when done right. The vast majority of the canal is already completed, including the whole of Westmeath from the Meath to the Longford border and links up with the 42km Greenway from Mullingar to Athlone. Its great for running or biking.

Some more news of progress on the Dublin City sections:

https://www.facebook.com/1549278628668036/posts/2164624360466790/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Gerry

I took the canal for part of the commute yesterday, from the rcag boathouse to maynooth. Was perfect conditions, tiny bit slippy and plenty of roots to keep you paying attention. On road bike with 25c slicks it was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Looks like royal canal is getting more investment in Longford (well at least spurs from it)
    "200,000 spent on construction of a link from the Royal Canal to Newcastle Woods in Ballymahon" and "€193,982 will be allocated for the construction of a walkway and cycleway linking the Royal Canal from Lanesboro to Clondra"

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/356622/major-greenway-investment-for-longford-with-announcement-of-over-745k-in-funding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have the family cycle from Dublin to Ballymahon for their stay in Centre Parcs!

All you need is some enterprising B&B's and guesthouses along the way to group together and offer support such as forwarding the luggage to the next stop, offer support at various stops with packed lunches, and you could make a weeks holiday out of the greenways once they're done.

Off I dash to my local enterprise office.....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i need to get to porterstown tomorrow, not familiar with the area at all. google is telling me to take the royal canal way, after the cycle way it seems to be better infrastructure too (blue)
    i'll be on a bullitt with 2 kids.

am i liable to fall in the canal or get stuck at a kissing gate?

is this realistic or should i go through the park and take the dodgy roads? (white)

LLaIUDwl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

site_owner wrote: »
    i need to get to porterstown tomorrow, not familiar with the area at all. google is telling me to take the royal canal way, after the cycle way it seems to be better infrastructure too (blue)

is this realistic or should i go through the park and take the dodgy roads? (white)

LLaIUDwl.jpg

I think you will be caught out by the kissing gates, certainly on the stretch between phibsboro and ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

LLaIUDwl.jpg

I'd suggest Griffith Ave, Ratoath Road, Ballycoolin. Not as dodgy as city centre though the latter parts are fairly busy but with off-road 'cycle track' and dual carriageway so no 'need' for close passing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Baldoyle,+Dublin/53.3760993,-6.4058928/@53.3816847,-6.2704193,13z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m15!1m1!1s0x48670539e43a8707:0x2600c7a819bdad02!2m2!1d-6.1373863!2d53.3948669!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2935322!2d53.3895942!3s0x48670df07cdcb8d1:0x5b29cefd52ce6f45!3m4!1m2!1d-6.358618!2d53.4036437!3s0x4867129a37af24f1:0xb69dc84876102599!1m0!3e1

I'd be intrigued to hear how you got on through the Deep Sinking on a Bullit though...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd suggest Griffith Ave, Ratoath Road, Ballycoolin. Not as dodgy as city centre though the latter parts are fairly busy but with off-road 'cycle track' and dual carriageway so no 'need' for close passing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Baldoyle,+Dublin/53.3760993,-6.4058928/@53.3816847,-6.2704193,13z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m15!1m1!1s0x48670539e43a8707:0x2600c7a819bdad02!2m2!1d-6.1373863!2d53.3948669!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2935322!2d53.3895942!3s0x48670df07cdcb8d1:0x5b29cefd52ce6f45!3m4!1m2!1d-6.358618!2d53.4036437!3s0x4867129a37af24f1:0xb69dc84876102599!1m0!3e1

I'd be intrigued to hear how you got on through the Deep Sinking on a Bullit though...

twitter has helped me get a good handle on what i'd be facing on the canal tow path so thats going to be a trip for another day. theres a few finicky bits that involved lifting and twsting the bike, which i doubt i'll manage with them onboard.

now, the route you've suggested looks great, i hadnt thought of it at all. i might head down the malahide road and up collins avenue to make it a little more direct.

the only bit i dont know about is around the cappagh road towards the hospital, is it a bit dodgy there for cars speeding and the road being narrow (years since i was out there)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I think you would be much better off going through the Phoenix park as has plenty of lanes with no kissing gates. You could go out through White's gate although there is a bit of narrow road after Castleknock college but it is the most direct. Otherwise go up through Castleknock and Coolmine to get the cycle\bus lanes. There is a lane that comes out opposite the entrance to the Castleknock hotel but I haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cars travel relatively slowly on the Cappagh Road towards the hospital, there's plenty of traffic calming on the road. Once you take that right turn at the lights (at the Ratoath Road/Cappagh Road junction) to cycle down by the hospital the road narrows a bit until you get over the bridge spanning the M50.

Bonus with this route is that it's a nice down hill the length of Snugburough Road as far as the N3.

I think you would be much better off going through the Phoenix park as has plenty of lanes with no kissing gates. You could go out through White's gate although there is a bit of narrow road after Castleknock college but it is the most direct. Otherwise go up through Castleknock and Coolmine to get the cycle\bus lanes. There is a lane that comes out opposite the entrance to the Castleknock hotel but I haven't tried it yet.

That sounds like a possible option, any chance you could put it on Google maps?

That sounds like a possible option, any chance you could put it on Google maps?

The lane is at the end of the Beeches road if that's what you're asking? Otherwise you're first map was most direct. I use those roads every day.

Xxxx

The lane is at the end of the Beeches road if that's what you're asking? Otherwise you're first map was most direct. I use

Ooops Wrong link!

Near Unnamed Road, Diswellstown, Co. Dublin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZvCP3

By my calculations that's another 5.4km to be upgraded. Should be completed by March next if all goes to plan. Does it still leave another 2km grassy section between Deey Bridge and Carton/Pike Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

By my calculations that's another 5.4km to be upgraded. Should be completed by March next if all goes to plan. Does it still leave another 2km grassy section between Deey Bridge and Carton/Pike Bridge?
    I thought from Deey Bridge west it was stony gravel to Pike bridge?
    Its grass back to almost Clonsilla after the Dunboyne line railway

Advertisement