Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

normal work spin this morning. 28.9 kms 64 mins 26.9kmph average.

the PP looked gorgeous this morning, only negative was the fool on the DB skipping through the red ligths on the north quays at Capel Street & the lights beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

i'm a proud fair weather cyclist so I took the bike into work this morning. The endorphins were flying about at 6:55 this morning heading along the river Lee into the city. To make things even more positive I didn't encounter one red light, not one, must be a record of some sort! Arrived 4 minutes faster than normal :D

i'm a proud fair weather cyclist so I took the bike into work this morning. The endorphins were flying about at 6:55 this morning heading along the river Lee into the city. To make things even more positive I didn't encounter one red light, not one, must be a record of some sort! Arrived 4 minutes faster than normal :D
    you will have to change your handle to cycle Forrest cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Chapelizod to Howth and back. Smashing day out there, everybody in a good mood it seems, motorists/cyclists/joggers all getting along. Got the weird vibe along the way of "am I just dreaming this?".

WindGuru said a light tailwind out but I got a PR on (nearly) every segment from the Alfie Byrne road until I had done the loop of Howth and was back at Sutton Cross so it must have been stronger than I thought. Feck that bus who got in my way on the descent. 2 3rd places sticking out like a sore thumb in a block of gold.

I'm not sure when it happened but they resurfaced the road in both directions from Sutton Cross all the way back onto the seafront cycle lane. The boneshaker cycle lanes are gone.

Think I frightened some girl initially when I pulled alongside her to tell her that her kickstand was still down. Presumably these things are designed to move up if they get caught on the road while turning but better safe than sorry no? That was my good deed of the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not such a good experience as brianomc above unfortunately.

On the way back home after a very enjoyable club spin to Oldbridge when an Expressway coach half passed me in a bus/bike lane and then attempted to squeeze me onto the footpath. The driver saw me allright as I could see him looking in the inside mirror but that didn't stop him from coming right into the kerb. By then I had breaked hard to let him pull ahead. I attempted to "speak" to him when he stopped at the lights 50m later but he kept the door closed and wagged his finger at me!
    I have reported him to both Bus Eireann and the Gardai but don't expect much will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Not such a good experience as brianomc above unfortunately.

On the way back home after a very enjoyable club spin to Oldbridge when an Expressway coach half passed me in a bus/bike lane and then attempted to squeeze me onto the footpath. The driver saw me allright as I could see him looking in the inside mirror but that didn't stop him from coming right into the kerb. By then I had breaked hard to let him pull ahead. I attempted to "speak" to him when he stopped at the lights 50m later but he kept the door closed and wagged his finger at me!
    I have reported him to both Bus Eireann and the Gardai but don't expect much will happen.

Report him to Traffic Watch. They will follow up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

took a detour on the way home.

dawson street- coast road, around howth head- portmarnock- malahide-swords-airport-drumcondra-east link- Dun laoighre

stopped for a 99 ice cream and drink, then 40 ft-dalkey-killiney-bray head-killiney.

I was short of the 100 so i did afew laps around the block and finished with 100.6KM and 743m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/641127975

great day for it, and the views around the coast are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Haven't been out since Sunday...
    A summer headcold... pits ...Probably won't be able to get out till weekend hopefully. Poxy summer headcold..... you expect these in the winter :(

Still haven't been out ...the dose came back for a second attack 😢 10 days since I was last out !
    I'm seriously thinking of getting out for an early bird spin before work tomorrow morning.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Report him to Traffic Watch. They will follow up on it

Thanks D. Will try that in the morning. Looks like it's a phone only service which is a bit odd nowadays.

In sending it to the Gardai earlier, I found it really difficult to check which station was responsible for the area where the incident happened. Traffic Watch should get over that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...In sending it to the Gardai earlier, I found it really difficult to check which station was responsible for the area where the incident happened...
    I've had experience of that also when is unfamiliar territory which seems ridiculous in a country with one police force and a PULSE system. It's not as if there are separate administrations such as in the UK/USA. That said, I think it's a bit of a cop out (pun unintended!) depending on who you get to talk to. It's particularly frustrating when that line is trotted out within your local Garda division - Romeo Brava saying you were actually within the remit of Romeo Charlie, nuttin' to do with us blah, blah blah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Jumped up two groups tonight as numbers were down for the spin ,normal average is 26/27.
    Busted a gut to average 31.9kmph over 42km felt great at the end , back out with that group next week....progress ��

ted1 wrote: »
    took a detour on the way home.

dawson street- coast road, around howth head- portmarnock- malahide-swords-airport-drumcondra-east link- Dun laoighre

stopped for a 99 ice cream and drink, then 40 ft-dalkey-killiney-bray head-killiney.

I was short of the 100 so i did afew laps around the block and finished with 100.6KM and 743m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/641127975

great day for it, and the views around the coast are great.
    I hope it was Teddy's you got the 99 from!, Best in South Dublin.

felt really strong so I put the hammer down(relatively speaking) from the PP to Maynooth going home yesterday 29.3kms in 70 mins, 25.1 kmph average. doesnt match up to some of the big numbers that are put up on here that I wont ever get within an asses roar of, when I started in May the journey home was taking 80 plus mins & I was creamcrackered afterwards.
    A big smiley face on me having dinner last nite!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I hope it was Teddy's you got the 99 from!, Best in South Dublin.

Of course it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kilmainham - Tallaght - Ballinascorney - Kippure estate - Sally Gap - Glencree - Featherbeds - Rathfarnham - Kilmainham

59k in 2hrs 35m. Seem to have hit a wall where I cannot get over 23kph average when there are hills involved. Just do not have the power to grind through a higher gear on the slopes.

Lovely day for it out there, skirted around the grey clouds. First time up the back road from ballinascorney to kippure estate via the army camp, lovely quiet, lonely road, nice long drag of a hill too. Windy as hell from the gap to the featherbeads

https://www.strava.com/activities/642651904

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

60km today. 750m climbing average speed 22kph. Not amazing but first cycle in a while do pleased enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Just upgraded my Felt F95 for a Giant Defy 0, took it for a short 20km run, first time with clipless pedals too, and didn't fall off! what a difference in gear shifting from Sora to Ultegra, very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

80 kms this morning from Greystones out to Enniskerry and Stepaside and up Cruagh road. Back down to Stepaside via Johnny foxes and down to Dalkey and home. I've been purposefully keeping it in the big ring since I got back from the Alps and I made it up Cruagh today! Delighted!

https://www.strava.com/activities/642498243

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

I did the Danny O'Shea memorial TT today, well out of my comfort zone and I felt a bit like a carthorse among thoroughbreds but we're trying to encourage TTing in the club so when a few others were heading over it seemed the thing to do to go with them.

I finished well down the field, the best that could be said is that I wasn't last but was happy enough with my time, the only way to improve is to line up before the starter, I don't seem to be able to replicate the same effort in training, this was the second open TT I've done this year and along with one in our club league, I reckon I've learned a little from each of them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/642679327

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

Bloggsie wrote: »
    28.8 kms in 65mins 26.5 avg.

I will pass the 1000km mark on my spin home this evening, not bad considering I only started commuting to & from work in the second week of May

not as much as some on here but Im chuffed with hitting the mark.

That's very good. I'm just starting out myself a bit late in life but looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,994 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely morning for it this morning, albeit with a choppy wind. 35km around NCD.

Got up this morning raring to go. I'll hit the hills!!! Sat on the throne and my back went into a spasm. It's been niggling all week at work. Plans changed, no point going up the Sally Gap and blowing up altogether. I figured that maybe a gentle spin would do me better, loosen me up. I set off and just up the road I met a few of the local club lads heading out. They were the intermediate group and told me to tag on with them.
    Had a lovely spin down to Mullingar and back. 85km in 3:08 @27.5kmh. Well within myself all the way and did plenty up the front. Very enjoyable company and the chocolate cake and coffee was top notch too :D
    Weather was beautiful and I changed my cables and bar tape yesterday... OMG the bike is shifting unbelievably smoother. No comparison. You just touch the lever and it pops up or down. Lizard skins bar tape is so nice too. Took my gloves off after a few k just to enjoy the feel....mmmmmm
    I may have to join the club. I've been meaning to for ages but just never seem to be around where they're on their spins.

Back is looser, still not perfect but bearable. It's actually grand while cycling, not great walking. I'll be lazy at work for the next few days. Can't let it interfere with my cycling!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/643755269

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Got up this morning raring to go. I'll hit the hills!!! Sat on the throne and my back went into a spasm. It's been niggling all week at work. Plans changed, no point going up the Sally Gap and blowing up altogether. I figured that maybe a gentle spin would do me better, loosen me up. I set off and just up the road I met a few of the local club lads heading out. They were the intermediate group and told me to tag on with them.
    Had a lovely spin down to Mullingar and back. 85km in 3:08 @27.5kmh. Well within myself all the way and did plenty up the front. Very enjoyable company and the chocolate cake and coffee was top notch too :D
    Weather was beautiful and I changed my cables and bar tape yesterday... OMG the bike is shifting unbelievably smoother. No comparison. You just touch the lever and it pops up or down. Lizard skins bar tape is so nice too. Took my gloves off after a few k just to enjoy the feel....mmmmmm
    I may have to join the club. I've been meaning to for ages but just never seem to be around where they're on their spins.

Back is looser, still not perfect but bearable. It's actually grand while cycling, not great walking. I'll be lazy at work for the next few days. Can't let it interfere with my cycling!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/643755269

Look after that back chief, I speak from painful experience as to the physical and mental turmoil a bad back can cause.
    That taking a dump is an extreme sport eh?!!

terrydel wrote: »
    Look after that back chief, I speak from painful experience as to the physical and mental turmoil a bad back can cause.
    That taking a dump is an extreme sport eh?!!

Haha, a feed of pints, a bag of dry roast peanuts and a kebab.... It could be extreme enough!!!

Back gives me a little bit of bother every now and again, 20 year working in construction. I'm surprised I can function at all. Hopefully I'll be right in a few days. Feel better now than earlier. Yoga and heat pack at night usually has me sorted. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Haha, a feed of pints, a bag of dry roast peanuts and a kebab.... It could be extreme enough!!!

Back gives me a little bit of bother every now and again, 20 year working in construction. I'm surprised I can function at all. Hopefully I'll be right in a few days. Feel better now than earlier. Yoga and heat pack at night usually has me sorted. Fingers crossed.

Good stuff, Ive sat at desk the last 15 years and honest to God I think thats the worst thing possible for the back! Stretching or a bit of yoga type exercise is great. That and a top notch mattress fixed me (as much as it was possible to fix me). Dont do enough stretching mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

First proper spin in nearly a month. Savage day for it. 50km with an average of 24.3km/h in 2 hours. Legs are feeling it now. Recovery beer going down nicely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

55km today. Home to Fairview, up to Howth (Sutton side) and back down the same way and on to Malahide. Straight down the Malahide road then and a right turn home. Average 23kph I think.

Punctured though. Kinda twice. Must have pinched the new tube when putting it in, but used all of my co2 on it so ended up having to walk back to Halfords and borrow their pump as my cycle buddy had no pump with her.

Great day for it. Cultivating the cyclist tan nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

200k and 2200 of climbing. Absolute monster of a day and longest ride ever!

Zigzagged around Wicklow, tackled some hills and enjoyed the glorious weather. Despite this being longest ride to date I still managed to get PR's on most of the major climbs :eek:

Looking back I still remember me thinking that doing 100k is something that I'll be never able to do, and this isn't even that long ago. How wrong was I?

Get out. Keep riding. Keep pushing. This a hobby that gives so much :cool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/644319441

Had a great time yesterday guiding eight cyclists from Dublin to Kilkenny on a sponsored cycle for the Alzheimer's Society. For most of them it was quite a bit longer and tougher than any cycle they had previously done. The route was great mainly on quiet back roads through Ballymore Eustace, Dunlavin and Moone before lunch in Carlow. In the afternoon we passed through Bagnalstown and Paulstown before joining the R712 for the last 20k into Kilkenny. Battling a headwind we even got rolling turns going in the bike lane which helped take everyone's minds off the last push.
    Interestingly, bikes and gear ranged from quite upmarket to bargain basement but it made little difference to participants' enjoyment and sense of achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

First spin in 2 weeks after a summer dose thing... 66km.. 24.5 kmph. Quick loop around to Ballygarrett..killenagh. Gorey.. Camolin
    .Ferns.. Boolavogue..Ballyedmund..home.
    Lovely morning to get back. Went down to Cahore and got a nice swim in too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement