Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Same as alll the last few posts.

Only on the bad town story mission.

Been taking outposts, animal hunting for crafting (took me hours of gameplay before i realised that the crafting box shows the type of animal needed and not just the name. Derp. i was using google to try match the pic to the ones on the map. fml.

The randomness is awesome. The big predators chasing around the little herbivores is fantastic to watch.

However, **** those rabid dogs with a shogtun. ***** for surprising me from behind.

Defo contender for goty.

What's the go to weapons people are using? I see the bow mentioned, I'm a bit crap with it. lol.

silenced/optical mp5, silenced/red dot famas, silenced/scope ms16, silenced/power scope m700.

skill tree i'm filling health and takedowns mostly.

The audio and weather effects deserve special mention too. The sudden rain is awesome. A bitch to hear and see animals without a syringe but awesome to see.

Graphically, glitchy enough sometimes. Had to drop down to 180p to get a consistent fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cringeworthy story. Decent multiplayer.

You can't publish maps that have vehicles or AI? Yeah, way to ruin everything I liked about FarCry games. If I wanted restricted COD game play, I'd have bought COD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How do you unlock the skill tree? It says I have to do more missions but it doesn't say what kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

MagicSean wrote: »
    How do you unlock the skill tree? It says I have to do more missions but it doesn't say what kind.

story missions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

Vaas is like the best bad guy I've come across in a game... I'd play this again just for the cutscenes

Nice touches alright- screen was going a bit hazy at one point.. turns out my guy was tripping from the smoke of the field of marijuana i just went at with a flamethrower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

God I'm loving this game. I'm spending so much time just messing around, hunting and unlocking towers.
    I love Vaas- so glad I got the bobblehead for the car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Barlett

Going to get this but can't decide between PS3 or PC. For the PC I have an AMD Phenom II X4 Processor with 4gb ram and ATI Radeon HD 4800 graphics card.

Which would give me better performance PS3 or PC? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

How does this look on the xbox360? Thinking of getting it for over the Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

Barlett wrote: »
    Going to get this but can't decide between PS3 or PC. For the PC I have an AMD Phenom II X4 Processor with 4gb ram and ATI Radeon HD 4800 graphics card.

Which would give me better performance PS3 or PC? Cheers

FWIW, I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well this is going on my e8400, 4GB, HD4800 pc. Only 1280x(?) res, but everything set high, and very little, if any, slowdown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Barlett

Cool, thanks yeah I'd prefer to get it on PC just saw a lot complaining about framerate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Unlocked the bull special shotgun tonight... very very nice indeed.
    The snipers silenced is a bit overpower imo, its a win gun.

The bow is a nice idea, feels very rambo like. The marksman scope for it makes me laugh.... x2 magnification. Great :eek:

Finding it hard to pull myself away from all the distractions so I can get into the story but the hunting missions are tonnes of fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I dont get how people cant run this game well on a good PC, as posted on another thread on boards im getting superb performance with absolutely everything maxed out.
    My brother on a lower spec PC than mine is also getting great performance.
    Im dunno guys but only a few weeks a go a friend of a friend of mine with decent spec couldnt run BF3 anyway decent asked me to take a look at his PC, like he said it ran crap but after i done some routine system cleaning with my defrag,installed latest drivers[properly],got rid of some stuff microsoft security essentials picked up and hey presto his PC was running like a dream again.
    Im not saying you guys struggling have the same issue but maybe just maybe its worth looking into.

Heres some screenshots i took with fraps framerate counter on top left corner and screenshots with my settings.

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_02_54_44.png

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_03_56_63.png

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_02_21_59.png

farcry3_2012_12_02_14_47_36_34.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

This thread convinced me to buy the game and I'm certainly not disappointed. First impressions were exactly like when I first played San Andreas. Couldn't comprehend the enormity of the game and the endless amount of fun to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

This thread convinced me to buy the game and I'm certainly not disappointed. First impressions were exactly like when I first played San Andreas. Couldn't comprehend the enormity of the game and the endless amount of fun to be had.

This post has done it for me. Ive been trying to decide if i should pick this up or not. I like to have a game to play through the holidays and this game seems absolutely perfect. Maybe next year they could set the game in a winter/snow environment - in keeping with Xmas.That would be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I accidentally bought it last night with the Steam Android app, I thought there'd be more button pushes before the sale was confirmed. Oh well, sounds like it's not a bad old game anyway, so it was hardly a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah i caved and bought this today as well, everyone everywhere seems to be singing its praises so hopefully i wont get bored quickly (which seems to be happening far too much with games these days :()

download is at 63%.....come on eircom damn it :pac:

Think that this is my game of the year, playing on PS3 as my PC review code haunt arrived yet. I'm shocked by how well it looks and plays on console. The fire effects in particular are superb, nothing more fun than taking the flame thrower and starting a fire that spreads to engulf an entire enemy force.

My save game stays I've played 7 hours though I reckon I've put in at elast 13 hours since friday and yet I'm only on chapter 3. Been a long time since I've played an open world game where I found exploring to be so rewarding, I gave up on Skyrim after 15 as it was so dull and banal whereas I can see myself putting another 20-30 hours into this. Heading out with the boq and hunting animals is a hell of a lot of fun and shows how a simple idea implemented well can be rewarding and fun while adding hours to a game.

What impressed me most thus far is how cinematic and emotional the story is. The use of music in particular is inspired, really adds to the overall feel of the game and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

@Dcully
    what's your pc spec with that settings?
    Ive an i5 750 at 3.8ghz
    with a Msi 7970 lightning
    most settings on high/ultra no msaa
    getting a decent 60 fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

@Dcully
    Ive an i5 750 at 3.8ghz
    getting a decent 60 fps.

He has a i5@ 4.4 and 660ti
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82025990&postcount=12

He gets much better fps at those settings than a 7970 and even gtx 670 sli, I'm still trying to figure out how!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@Dcully
    Ive an i5 750 at 3.8ghz
    getting a decent 60 fps.

i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
    MSI GTX 660TI Twin Frozr

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
    MSI GTX 660TI Twin Frozr

I think there is a bug where it shows up as running in dx11 even if you run the farcry3.exe and not the farcry3_d3d11.exe

You need to run farcry3_d3d11 to be sure you are running dx11

I just tested there with a gtx 570 60 fps running farcry3.exe
    20 fps running farcry3_d3d11.exe :eek:

Dcully are you running farcry3_d3d11.exe?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I'm getting steady 70 fps with my stock 3570k and gtx 670, with the same settings as DCully.
    However, I do notice weird shadows flickering in the water (when I look at it from a distance) when I move. Other than that it's perfect.

Great game. Only beef I have is that I find it a bit easy, even on hard difficulty.
    The only real challenge is when I'm up against a tiger and I unload an mp5 clip into its head and it doesn't die :)
    AI seems retarded as well. If you have a bit of patience they pretty much just come at you 1 by 1.

Are you sure you are running farcry3_d3d11.exe?
    It does not matter if it says directx 11 in the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Every time i shoot an arrow the next arrowsw is alwas a fire one. Anyone know a fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Left on d-pad afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I tried it ended up just firing all the fire arrows away to get back the normal ones.

EDIT: I just finished what could possibly be the best level of a game i have ever played. This game rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BobbieBerto

Has anyone tried split screen yet, tried last night on xbox, set up a private game 1v1 and everytime the both of us ended up on the same team and couldnt figure out how to switch teams anyone have any success with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looting a body is the only thing I don't like from this game.

Too many times their guns are beside them and you end up going in a loop of throwing weapons repeatedly while you try to be pixel-perfect to check their corpses.

Anyways, the flamethrower is great. I carry it around only to scare animals away from me. A quick burst and you'll have the tigers and komodo dragons running away in fear :D

It's also bloody satisfying shooting the molotov in an enemy's hand and watching it engulf him as he runs around in circles screaming!

I've pumped in a good amount of time since it's release and I'm not even halfway through this game, I especially haven't gotten bored of it yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Spent an unholy amount of time over the weekend on this.
    the ****ing mash space crap has me driven demented , anyone got any tips ?
    (Usung mouse and Keyboard BTW)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

horgan_p wrote: »
    Spent an unholy amount of time over the weekend on this.
    the ****ing mash space crap has me driven demented , anyone got any tips ?
    (Usung mouse and Keyboard BTW)

You can fast travel away from the area if you're being mauled ;)

Advertisement