Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Great win for Trump, but on the BBC and fans hyping up Trump as a possible World Champion this year, "if he carries this form to the Crucible", well there's a long time between now and then, and there's around 8 more tournaments at least that he'll be playing in. Also, while Stephen Hendry did it a few times in the 90s, in the last 20 years only one player has won The Masters and the World Championship in the same year. Mark Williams, 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

8+ hours per day :-)

Judd spoke on tv the other day about spending 2 hours a day practicing.

Ronnie said he does 2/3 hours a fay 3 or 4.times a week. There was a big shift from quantity to quality about 15/20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Trump was basically unplayable in the final. 93% pot success, 68% long potting success and 81% safety success are amazing stats, don't know who could have lived with him.

Will be interesting to see if Trump can maintain that level. He was very poor against Robertson in the semi's, and was fortunate that Neil was playing equally as bad.

Trump was basically unplayable in the final. 93% pot success, 68% long potting success and 81% safety success are amazing stats, don't know who could have lived with him.

Will be interesting to see if Trump can maintain that level. He was very poor against Robertson in the semi's, and was fortunate that Neil was playing equally as bad.

But he beat Kyren Wilson, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson and Ronnie O'Sullivan to win it. Fully deserved. Hes allowed an average session in there.

He does strike me as quite nervous still though, even during his speech last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    Ronnie said he does 2/3 hours a fay 3 or 4.times a week. There was a big shift from quantity to quality about 15/20 years ago.

That may be the case alright, I don’t know really. Wouldn’t even be convinced 8 hours every day would be a good thing, unless you’re an animal like hendry!!

There was an interesting discussion between ronnie and jimmy about the Chinese guys practicing setup on eurosport a while back. Ronnie used the word “robotic”, jimmy said something strange about “potting 50 straight blues before they’ve had their porridge.” It wasn’t really fleshed out at all, but thought it was interesting they’d be so critical.

There’s 128 players on tour and I’d imagine they all have different setups and ideas about practicing. Some more diligent than others. But what I strongly believe is that the generation after hendry, and including hendry too, had a far superior mentality for playing the game than you see in general among todays guys. They were better matchplayers, better clutch players, better prepared for the grind, especially when it comes to the longer matches.

Maybe nonsense, but that’s my view on it. Whatever the reasons behind it, I believe it to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Disappointing to see so many "Ronnie never turned up" posts, here and on twitter.

I thought Judd played excellent, probably the best, most ruthless I've seen him. Ronnie didn't make too many mistakes, Judd gave him nothing all day. Anything Ronnie missed were very hard shots.

Don't agree with that at all. Yes Judd was sublime at times. but there were definite chances for Ronnie that he fluffed. A certain red to the left middle springs to mind as one of the worst misses of the tournament. Not saying Ronnie could have held Judd back, but he had chances to go into the second session at 5-3 behind, instead of the insurmountable 7-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ronnie definitely had chances that he normally would of took, his safety play was also surprisingly poor.

Id be skeptical as to whether Judd can go on and dominate from here, I don't think he has the mentality, only two ranking titles in nearly a decade is poor for a guy who is constantly touted as the next best thing.

Ronnie definitely had chances that he normally would of took, his safety play was also surprisingly poor.

Id be skeptical as to whether Judd can go on and dominate from here, I don't think he has the mentality, only two ranking titles in nearly a decade is poor for a guy who is constantly touted as the next best thing.

I don’t entirely disagree with you but just to be fair to judd, he has won a lot more than that, it’s either 9 or 10 ranking titles at this stage. He’s a strange one because I don’t think he’s got the credit for what he actually has won (the stench of underachievment just seems too powerful) and then when he does win a big tournament, you get all this stuff about how he’s going to dominate for the next 10 years. Not much middle ground with him. A couple of months ago I was reading and hearing claims that he’d never win anything.

Also, I don’t believe saying ronnie underperformed yesterday is incompatible with saying judd played great. Both are eminently possible and I think judds standard is partly the reason why ronnie could not find his a game. That’s two big finals in a row judd has eclipsed ronnie, you’d nearly say he has his measure now. If only he’d stop losing to the likes of rory mcleod;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don’t entirely disagree with you but just to be fair to judd, he has won a lot more than that, it’s either 9 or 10 ranking titles at this stage. He’s a strange one because I don’t think he’s got the credit for what he actually has won (the stench of underachievment just seems too powerful) and then when he does win a big tournament, you get all this stuff about how he’s going to dominate for the next 10 years. Not much middle ground with him. A couple of months ago I was reading and hearing claims that he’d never win anything.

Also, I don’t believe saying ronnie underperformed yesterday is incompatible with saying judd played great. Both are eminently possible and I think judds standard is partly the reason why ronnie could not find his a game. That’s two big finals in a row judd has eclipsed ronnie, you’d nearly say he has his measure now. If only he’d stop losing to the likes of rory mcleod;-)

Sorry I should of really said major ranking events, as in the UK Championship, Masters and The World Championships. These really are the main three that the big players want to win, he's under performed in these events.

Im not taking anything away from the win yesterday, I give him all the credit it was a great display, Judd was the main cause for Ronnies poor play IMO, consistently had him under pressure and limited his table time and when Ronnie did mess up of his own accord Judd punished him.

Look he's only 29, plenty of time, his mentality is the only thing id have questions over, if he can get that right he can win anything and everything, he has all the tools no one can say otherwise

Sorry I should of really said major ranking events, as in the UK Championship, Masters and The World Championships. These really are the main three that the big players want to win, he's under performed in these events.

Im not taking anything away from the win yesterday, I give him all the credit it was a great display, Judd was the main cause for Ronnies poor play IMO, consistently had him under pressure and limited his table time and when Ronnie did mess up of his own accord Judd punished him.

Look he's only 29, plenty of time, his mentality is the only thing id have questions over, if he can get that right he can win anything and everything, he has all the tools no one can say otherwise

Fair enough, should have twigged that’s what you meant. I often wonder if reaching that 2010 final and giving higgins a real scare was the best thing for him, the hypometer just ratcheted up from that point and it was tough for him to deal with. I often wonder too what judd could get from the likes of a terry griffiths, who has worked wonders for mark allen among others, but judd just seems to be a totally independent spirit with his own ideas about how he should prepare. Maybe he knows best himself, but I still wonder about it.

He’s nearly 30 and we still talk about him as being one of the younger generation! Hendry had 6 world titles or something in the bag by that point, funny how things and attitudes change!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I really think that this is a huge turning point for Judd. I know we've heard it all before, but it is definitely different this time. He has given up the fast cars and playboy lifestyle and has really knuckled down. He got his brother Jack to quit his job and employed him full time and it has made a huge difference.

He has spanked Ronnie in two finals in a few months now. Ronnie won't fancy playing Judd now. I'd go as far as to say that Judd is the best in the world at the moment. I'd like to see what Selby does in the World's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The Masters is not a ranking event. Part of the Triple Crown yes, but it has no bearing on the ranking list.

Fair enough, should have twigged that’s what you meant. I often wonder if reaching that 2010 final and giving higgins a real scare was the best thing for him, the hypometer just ratcheted up from that point and it was tough for him to deal with. I often wonder too what judd could get from the likes of a terry griffiths, who has worked wonders for mark allen among others, but judd just seems to be a totally independent spirit with his own ideas about how he should prepare. Maybe he knows best himself, but I still wonder about it.

He’s nearly 30 and we still talk about him as being one of the younger generation! Hendry had 6 world titles or something in the bag by that point, funny how things and attitudes change!

Education too. Its just not acceptable to drop out of school to play snooker at age 14 anymore. The snooker career has shifted 10 years forward age wise. We'll never see a 21 year old World Championship winner again. Maybe not even a 25 year old winner.

The Nal wrote: »
    Education too. Its just not acceptable to drop out of school to play snooker at age 14 anymore. The snooker career has shifted 10 years forward age wise. We'll never see a 21 year old World Championship winner again. Maybe not even a 25 year old winner.

Yes, very good point. You can always get a freak or outlier I suppose, but if we keep closing snooker clubs and restrict the outlets to play, the odds of it happening keep going up I’d say.

The chinese do have some good ideas about combining education and snooker but problem for them is having to relocate to uk at a young age. Got to be a disadvantage that you’d imagine.

Advertisement