Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two international broadcasters looking to Dublin for EU operations after Brexit

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Great news, we don’t need all of them, but a few would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Great news, we don’t need all of them, but a few would be nice.

What exactly are they going to provide to Irish Viewers and the TV and Film production industry? Largely admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There's no particular reason why an international broadcaster wouldn't create technical, production and programme making jobs here. If you end up with any kind of base of operations in Ireland for some of these big broadcasters, it's a start.

They moved to the UK in the 80s to serve the EU market and there are all sorts of jobs in admin, sales, production, technical services like managing playout, animation, news gathering etc etc. Technology has also moved on even further and you can easily coordinate and produce content from anywhere. CNN for example is largely based in Atlanta, hardly the centre of Hollywood or Manhattan. It pulls in content from bureaux all over the US and all over the world. Euronews in in Lyon, not Paris and the BBC manages quite well largely out of Manchester not the West End.

There are lots of jobs in the management and production of channels that largely play out content. That's pretty much what 95% of TV channels do.

You've also got tons of possibilities for web and IPTV content production and management.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There's no particular reason why an international broadcaster wouldn't create technical, production and programme making jobs here. If you end up with any kind of base of operations in Ireland for some of these big broadcasters, it's a start.

They moved to the UK in the 80s to serve the EU market and there are all sorts of jobs in admin, sales, production, technical services like managing playout, animation, news gathering etc etc. Technology has also moved on even further and you can easily coordinate and produce content from anywhere. CNN for example is largely based in Atlanta, hardly the centre of Hollywood or Manhattan. It pulls in content from bureaux all over the US and all over the world. Euronews in in Lyon, not Paris and the BBC manages quite well largely out of Manchester not the West End.

There are lots of jobs in the management and production of channels that largely play out content. That's pretty much what 95% of TV channels do.

You've also got tons of possibilities for web and IPTV content production and management.

Your assuming that both applications are from big broadcasters. I don't see channels even from broadcasters like CBS (Reality, Horror etc) having a massive staff.

Elmo wrote: »
    Your assuming that both applications are from big broadcasters. I don't see channels even from broadcasters like CBS (Reality, Horror etc) having a massive staff.

They don't have massive staff. However, I don't see why what is positive for Ireland in terms of broadcasters relocating some operations here is being turned into some kind of negative on this thread.

Having any presence of those companies here is a start and could potentially grow into a significant media hub, particularly as technology changes.

There are plenty of people with media oriented CVs who'd be delighted with opportunities in admin and they often lead into other areas.

• Advertisement

They don't have massive staff. However, I don't see why what is positive for Ireland in terms of broadcasters relocating some operations here is being turned into some kind of negative on this thread.

Having any presence of those companies here is a start and could potentially grow into a significant media hub, particularly as technology changes.

There are plenty of people with media oriented CVs who'd be delighted with opportunities in admin and they often lead into other areas.

It is good.

The negativity is aimed at the BAI. 2 applications, 1 currently in process, after a number of trips to London by the BAI to entice broadcasters over here.

Brexit shouldn't have been a factor in trying to entice broadcasters to Ireland. BAI could have tried over the years to licence other broadcasters, now they have 2 more.

Also Bubble Hits was largely run from Ashbourne with playout in London. Sales teams would and could stay in London.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the BAI tried to impose an Irish language requirement and made Cartoon Network carry 10% current affairs. They tend to have been over proscriptive and micromanage far too much.

The one thing that really annoys me is the complaints-driven systems they use that seem to mean that all sorts of crackpots and organisations with agendas end up having to be responded to about narrow issues. Instead of having a standards based system of regulation that doesn't just work on the basis of he/she who shouts loudest.

For a serious international news outlet that kind of thing would be massively burdensome.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the BAI tried to impose an Irish language requirement and made Cartoon Network carry 10% current affairs. They tend to have be over proscriptive and micromanage far too much.

The one thing that really annoys me is the complaints-driven systems they use that seem to mean that all sorts of crackpots and organisations with agendas end up having to be responded to about narrow issues. Instead of having a standards based system of regulation that doesn't just work on the basis of he/she who shouts loudest.

Section 71 does note impose such requirements, hence the reason why TV3 complained about UTV's licence. I think 10% of production budget from indo producers would remain (not sure if that would be Irish producers or if it could be for any euro producer, also production budget would be so low on such broadcasters it wouldn't make much of an impact, if that EU rule still exists).

The complaints system is far to legal, it take too long to progress in anyway. One non-crack pot was issued an apology on six-one (6 months after the initial report), read by both presenters it was full of legalese, made little sense and you'd be questioning what RTÉ where apologizing for, but that's a whole other thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What exactly are they going to provide to Irish Viewers and the TV and Film production industry? Largely admin.

They are going to provide quite a few jobs, probably even some high paying jobs, meaning more PAYE tax payers in the country. Thats the bit I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It was reported before Christmas that the BBC were in talks with both the BAI and the Dutch broadcasting authority about licences to operate in the EU after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's not Discovery in any case. They are moving to the Netherlands if Brexit is official.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No, it's just adding Belgium to a shortlist of three - no final decision made yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eggman100

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the BAI tried to impose an Irish language requirement and made Cartoon Network carry 10% current affairs. They tend to have been over proscriptive and micromanage far too much.

For a serious international news outlet that kind of thing would be massively burdensome.
    I never understood the speaking irish requirement rules. Nobody outside Ireland can understand it, it's the same in Wales with them speaking Welsh. You would be better off learning Spanish. Pointless

No, it's just adding Belgium to a shortlist of three - no final decision made yet.

Sorry jumped the gun there.

Advertisement