Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rutland Cycling

• 05-12-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anybody buy a bike from them ? I was wondering are they reliable , they have bikes available ( on their websites) that are sold out elsewhere . They seem to be slow to respond to emails according to some reviews

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just worth noting that it's quite possible negative reaction could be actionable by mods - boards.ie certainly would not want to be dragged into a fight if someone posted something that was potentially libellous.

however, positive feedback from genuine customers would be perfectly OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Never brought a bike off them, but have brought helmets and clothing without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I bought a bike from them, here is a post from a while back when somebody asked a similar question
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105594900&postcount=3
    Takca wrote: »
    I bought a bike from this crowd last year
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/

I got a 2016 Giant Defy 1[1] in April 2017 including delivery it cost me €770, i would have been €1,259 euro in Ireland in 2016.

The bike arrived about 2 weeks later (which was a little longer then it was supposed to take but not excessively), I had to install the front wheel and handle bars when it arrived, after that it was good to go. I also spent some time indexing the gears but I'm not sure if this was really necessary.

I've been happy with the bike ever since.

I did contact them in June about some mysterious creaking around the bottom bracket there reply was to try and get service for it (I had said I wouldn't be able to send it back), in the end the creaking went away when got cleats and changes the pedals.

[1] - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-1-2016

The bike has done about 8,000km so far, the only unexpected work I have had to do on it was having to replace the wheels, I doubt this is Rutlands fault but buying online means its on me.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied and would do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭robinwing

Takca wrote: »
    I bought a bike from them, here is a post from a while back when somebody asked a similar question
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105594900&postcount=3

The bike has done about 8,000km so far, the only unexpected work I have had to do on it was having to replace the wheels, I doubt this is Rutlands fault but buying online means its on me.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied and would do it again.

Thanks Tacka for your most useful response, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I could have sworn that I bought from them before but I can't find any trace in my email (may have deleted). I have only heard good things about them. I think every company is a bit slow at the moment to reply to emails and dispatch items due to Black Friday sales. The world we live in at the moment means we expect responses and dispatches in double quick time. I have had some short delays from Merlin, Bikester, Wiggle and Amazon. I would still rate all of those companies very highly though.

• Advertisement

I could have sworn that I bought from them before but I can't find any trace in my email (may have deleted). I have only heard good things about them. I think every company is a bit slow at the moment to reply to emails and dispatch items due to Black Friday sales. The world we live in at the moment means we expect responses and dispatches in double quick time. I have had some short delays from Merlin, Bikester, Wiggle and Amazon. I would still rate all of those companies very highly though.

Cheers Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

bought various bits from them, always been good service.
    have had a few returns and found the process easy.

delivery is more expensive than some places and while they offer easy UK returns postage, posting back from ireland requires paying upfront and getting postage costs back from them.

i'd recommend them anyway.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Never brought a bike off them, but have brought helmets and clothing without issue.

Cheers Macy

site_owner wrote: »
    bought various bits from them, always been good service.
    have had a few returns and found the process easy.

delivery is more expensive than some places and while they offer easy UK returns postage, posting back from ireland requires paying upfront and getting postage costs back from them.

i'd recommend them anyway.

Cheers Site Owner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭joey100

Bought a cannondale supersix off them, good prices and contacted me before hand to see how I wanted the brakes set up. I found them very good to deal with and very quick delivery.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Bought a cannondale supersix off them, good prices and contacted me before hand to see how I wanted the brakes set up. I found them very good to deal with and very quick delivery.

I ordered bike on the 28th Nov and only received receipt today. Could be backlog of black Friday orders I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Purchased clothing from them lately no issues and fast delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tea2

Bought an MTB from them, very good price, fast dispatch and very carefully packed. The setup of the bike itself was fine, but not excellent. Cables were messy and some of the bolts weren't torqued right. They were very nice to deal with though, and their prices were excellent, so I'd happily deal with them again if the price is right, and just be willing to do a tidy up when the bike arrives.

Good advice there , I will check the torque on bolts etc

Will post when the bike arrives ( A Roubaix with Tiagra groupset ) how I find it out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Didn't buy from them but found that Facebook messenger was the best way to get in touch with them. Had tried unsuccessfully via email and phone. They were very helpful once I finally got speaking with them (I decided not to buy in the end for other reasons).

bike arrived today and its fine . Thanks to all the people who bothered to answer my post , much appreciated

Advertisement