Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Who's That wearing bricks jersey who scored 2 points???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Sickening watching these hail Mary shots from everywhere . Kk or tipp would be 15 points up on wex at this stage . Brain dead shooting from our players

This shooting from midfield has to stop. Must be so frustrating for maurice not getting to compete. Kk would be 15 clear of us by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Get Stephen Bennett on and work ball in for goals. Shooting is horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

O Riain wrote: »
    Have you got no cousins that you can be off riding rather than be on the Waterford forum trying to wind people up? (It's actually the height of patheticness and i almost feel sorry for you. Almost)

Ive some very good friends from Tipp, very good people, but you are the are the type of person (who is in abundance in your county) as to why you are the most hated county in Hurling. And dont come back saying its only jealousy of your success because Kilkenny are better then you will ever be but the level of ****e talk out of them is not even 20% of what your type comes out with.

Love it. Why don't you support Kilkenny so if your so in awe of them. a bit of gentle slagging and it doesn't take long for the bitterness to come through. Don't stop believing.Riding cousins. Is that the best you have on a GAA forum? Go back over this thread prior to the Munster final and see the level of cockiness that abounded in Waterford. It was evident everywhere. You call out other counties then for being cocky and when that's pointed out to you we get the above tirade of nonsense.

God forbid Waterford people on a Waterford forum bigging up their own team before a Munster final.

If you want to talk about cockiness then don't come on here as a tipp man calling Waterford cocky. You boys are as cocky as they come.

Gentle slagging is fine, we don't mind that. Your on here and rather than having a proper talk you are just coming in with little sound bites trying to get a rise out of everyone. You can convince yourself that your still a cool lad who's good at a bit of banter but in reality your just a sad fool.

And yes I am in awe of Kilkenny, who wouldn't be? They are a spectacular county to behold. One county that I'm certainly not in awe of however, is Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wides cud cost us

Kilkenny and Tipperary have nothing to worry out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Terrible match, a long way off winning a semi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The wides are just caused by ridiculous decision making. Same recurring theme all year hitting 'x' amount of wides. It's a big part of the reason we don't get many goals, a more mature team would work it in rather than shooting from 80 yards every few minutes.

Back in business anyway, at least theyll have a crack at the cats. Hopefully they finally learn from the wides but I doubt it, same thing all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Itll take a huge improvement to challenge kk

Hope they hit ground running that day.....looked a mile off the pace today and not up to much

Will be worst team in the semis by a stretch

Cody won't be too worried. Anyone have a figure for gleesons wide on his own? Crazy amount anyways

• Advertisement

Bigger clown myself for tipping Wexford to win today and to get to a final lol

Lots and lots of work for us to do to even stay with Kilkenny in 2 weeks

Hope the players get a say in what way tactically we should go for the semi final

Good to back in Croke Park and hope we give it a right go

Galway looked good today

Under 21s to take the spotlight for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

The reason we are hitting so many wides is that there is very little on when our outfield plyers get the ball, they are then forcced into speculative shots. we really need to push our corner forwards up, give the half backs and midfield some options. All these misses drained our confidence in the munster final and almost derailed us today.
    Gleeson did very well when he came on for ives, the other Gleeson really needs to sort out his shooting he qas hitting wides on the few occasions when we did have options inside. Making the same errors over and over in a game reflects very poorly on his ability to manage his performance.
    Thought Jamie Barron did some really good work when we were under pressure and jittery in the middle of the second half, showed great leadership.
    Kilkenny wll employ the same tactics as Tipp and bombard our full back hoping to profit from breaking ball- massing the midfield area will be of little use in stopping that, hopefully we wont set up the same as we did against Tipp.
    No one will give us a chance against KK which is a good thing, while there is huge room for improvement, obviously in shooting and set up I think there is a big game in this team- provided we're not hitting ball after ball into a 3 on 1 full forward line.
    For all our tactics- in the last 3 games Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran have been peripheral fiures contributing neiter in attack or defence ( Bennett has had some input but not significant) Get those 2 in around the square or at least near enough to run at what is KK's most vunerable point- then we're at least giving ourselves a chance.

It's a strange feeling to be in an all Ireland semi final but feeling disillusioned with it. Some good performances today particularly Kevin Moran, Conor Gleeson and Tadgh. Also Jake Dilton and O Halloran. Surprised Maurice taken off . P Curran completely anonymous again today. Whether it's the set up or he is not yet ready for this level . You just know that KK will beat us well if we shoot all those wides but we live in hope I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

we are ****ed, Players have no lift in them, Maurice legs have gone, bricks legs have gone, P mah who is jittery on the free's has no legs at all, ah stop, bring on Stephen Bennett when the game is gone, and give him nothing, jake our first sub, we have gone back some pile in two months, Galway showed Clare for what they are, when you take the Natural instinct to hurl out of talented individuals, then you stymie them , and not allow a hurlers instinct room for self expression, jesus Cody could not stay awake, wife was hitting him luders , nothing to see here folks, Tipp v Kilkenny by a country mile, and proper order.
    As for stopping them shooting, christ its the only way we'll score as we won't do it from the front of the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

another horror show,wexford were poor ,as far as i can remember 1 point on the board after 17 odd minutes ,we were coasting early ,all we had to do was play a few forwards got one or two goals and sauntered through the rest of the game ,(the way kk does it,they turn them into training sessions)but no ,Mc Grath hasn't one positive bone/thought in his body,boring does not even come close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I've never been so demoralised after such a comprehensive victory. Wexford were so poor i was geniuenly disappointed for their fans. It feels like we've already lost against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Mad a 10 point win and i'm not all that happy, happy to win of course especially after the Munster Final but in all honesty Tipp or KK would have beaten Wexford by 20 odd points today, Same old failings again today, zero goal threat inside as no ball is being played in, again shooting very poor the same ****e taking on hail mary shots which you might land 1/5, Backs at least looked solid bar the one fcuk up by SOK which nearly cost us a goal but then again that's largely down to playing a woeful Wexford as opposed to how good our defense is, I really thought we had come on this year compared to last but we haven't, if anything we've regressed, How can we ever hope to win an AI when we don't use our inside forwards and have no goal threat. It was a better performance then the MF but we can thank our lucky stars it was Wexford we drew and not Galway, so frustrating to see we should have gone for the juggular and killed Wexford off when we realised they weren't up to anything, instead we go ages without scoring and get dragged back to 5 points. Christ sake whatever about being defensive against Tipp or KK but leading Wexford by 8-9 points and not going for the kill is unforgivable. No chance we beat KK at best we'll loose by 5-6 points but on today's display it will be more like 12-15

On Maurice and i hope this doesn't sound insensitive but for me it's his mental issues, he is a damn good hurler on his day as he showed last year but this year he's been very poor, Scored a cracking point today tbf to him but in general he did very little and it's been that way all year, he's a guy who when he's confident can be really good but when he isn't like this year he can be pretty awful, I wonder if it would be best to not start him against KK? It's just not happening for him this year and the more he plays the worse his confidence might get, maybe it's issues in the background that have caused his form and if so i hope Derek and the lads are monitoring things. I'd definitely start Stephen Bennett the next day, we badly need a goal threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

You know it's bad when the panel didn't even
    mention our semi final against Kilkenny after
    the matches today.. Talking about how the Tipp / Galway match should be a good contest without sweeper system.. No one giving us a chance and who can blame them.. Liam Sheedy
    hit the nail on the head today when he said we
    won't beat Kilkenny without scoring a goal..
    We never even got a shot on goal today against
    a very poor Wexford side.. Don't think Cody will
    lose any sleep in the next fortnight..
    We need to loosen the shackles some bit, and let the players have a cut or we'll never win an AI

Let's send Kilkenny a white flag and let the team go on a jolly to croke park on the 7th Aug. The team can tog out but instead of challenging for the ball against Kilkenny we can pass it to them and gaze at there faboulous scoring

Were going to croke park for an all Ireland semi final, 5 other intercounty hurling teams would love to be in our position and its time for the players and management to grow a pair and go at it like there's lifes are on the line

If sum Waterford don't want to go than go ahead support in our local establishments instead

I'm usually negative I knw but ffs just enjoy the win today (ghosts of 2014 have been vanished now)

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Let's send Kilkenny a white flag and let the team go on a jolly to croke park on the 7th Aug. The team can tog out but instead of challenging for the ball against Kilkenny we can pass it to them and gaze at there faboulous scoring

Were going to croke park for an all Ireland semi final, 5 other intercounty hurling teams would love to be in our position and its time for the players and management to grow a pair and go at it like there's lifes are on the line

If sum Waterford don't want to go than go ahead support in our local establishments instead

Curiously enough I agree with you

No reason we can't have a cut at kk.....if you don't dream you'll never achieve

But it will take a mammoth effort and improvement beyond recognizable of the last two games

But a word of caution....when wexford did land high ball in top of full back line/braking ball about.....it caused scenes of chaos more than once

A minimum of 2 man full forward line is required....disheartening are start today when waterford looked to be in position to pull away and build confidence to see Patrick curren on his own in the square and other times noone with 30 yards of goal.....just why like? ??

On Maurice and i hope this doesn't sound insensitive but for me it's his mental issues, he is a damn good hurler on his day as he showed last year but this year he's been very poor, Scored a cracking point today tbf to him but in general he did very little and it's been that way all year, he's a guy who when he's confident can be really good but when he isn't like this year he can be pretty awful, I wonder if it would be best to not start him against KK? It's just not happening for him this year and the more he plays the worse his confidence might get, maybe it's issues in the background that have caused his form and if so i hope Derek and the lads are monitoring things. I'd definitely start Stephen Bennett the next day, we badly need a goal threat.
    It's not maurices fault moran and gleeson are driving balls wide over his head from their own 65.. He's up there on his own being marked by 2 men. If he had support players and man man hurling he'd be getting a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

But it will take a mammoth effort and improvement beyond recognizable of the last two games

But a word of caution....when wexford did land high ball in top of full back line/braking ball about.....it caused scenes of chaos more than once

A minimum of 2 man full forward line is required....disheartening are start today when waterford looked to be in position to pull away and build confidence to see Patrick curren on his own in the square and other times noone with 30 yards of goal.....just why like? ??

nobody will ever to tipp kk until we have already beaten KK so who cares what people think nothing to lose evrything to gain they have a lowe estimation of us at the very least we can trouble them and then who knows fomr there, games are there to be won, im going into the next game with optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭decies

Lol got message warned about personal abuse from the **** stirrer from another team . Anyway more important issues ,there seems to be different opinions out there , on social media people are giving out that people are voicing concerns abut the team and the wides etc , while on forums people are voicing their opinions . Look after the game I looked over at my friends in the stand ,and said your very gloom lads after a win . I knew damn well what it was all about , the decision making and lack of composure but mainly frustration that we couldn't have at least try and go route one and lob it into the box and at least try for goals , which we will need to have any chance against the cats . Think we need a few changes in personal for that game as well. Look am delighted we are in a all Ireland semi , but we need to box more clever to have any chance , let's go out and just be less predictable and see what happens . If it's a disaster well so be it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

it is damn near impossible to beat KK or Tipp with a full compliment of forwards(6)let alone 5 ,if we are to win,we are going to have to play 6 forwards and trust them ,he also needs to trust his backs ,the key word here is trust ,trust in the players ability ,i really fear about how this game will fare out ,im not hopeful at all ,negativity is a seriously bad trait in a person ,and Mc Grath has a very negative approach to what is a simple game ,pick your best fifteen players to play in their best positions ,win your personnel battles ,which in all fairness i honestly believe we have the players to do just that,if only and its a big if,IF they are allowed hurl,and that's the name of the game HURLING ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Won the match easily in the end but that's covers the surface image. It was a dire performance in many ways. I'ld say Cody is sleeping easy tonight after that. To progress this year, Waterford had to win Munster and/or get to September and you can't see the latter happening at all.

The crazy shooting of players from all angles is mind blowing in the extreme and whilst you shouldn't pick out individuals, I can't for the life of me understand why no one has had a chat with Austin Glesson for the wayward shooting. Yes, he's a great talent and hugely skilled but I counted 6 terrible wides today with a wind behind him for most of them. What irks me is that he or the team doesn't appear to be learning anything from past matches. Do they even look at a video of the match at some stage in training? They looked headless at times and that's an awful thing to say of a team that's spent nearly two years working on this system.

You would have to me say we've little to no chance against KK on today's performance and while I think they'll be better in two weeks, I would be frankly amazed if we're within 6 points down of KK at the end. Its awful when you've to admit that 2 weeks before you go to a match that you can't see any hope of victory. The system might not be great but the wastefulness of the players within that system (and its lack of improvement over time) is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I hope it's a fine day for the semi final and that the sun is shining, as it does seem as if this WD team love the fine weather. As soon as it started raining WX came back into the game. (I'm only half joking by the way)

Look we are in an All Ireland semi final having not played brilliantly and will be massive underdogs the next day. Nobody will give us the slighest chance and that is just the way we like it. Hopefully all will fall in place the next day and we nick a one point win. You never know.

Up the Deise.

Feck sake if we are relying on good weather to win games we'll never win an AI.

I think this will be our 9th semi final in 15 years which is a great record but only won one of them up too now

• Advertisement

Feck sake if we are relying on good weather to win games we'll never win an AI.

I'm living in eternal hope it's a master plan that waterford are building/training all year to peak for a semi-final

After that the well of optimism is empty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement