Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah I'm going over and back on the Friday, hoping to pick up a good few bits and pieces minus the mental postage costs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

That looks great - has anyone gone before? Can you buy items from the exhibitors, I went to an exhibition in the NEC in Birmingham but could only buy direct from exhibitors on the last day - had to place an order on the other days and get it sent. Mind you that was a costume jewellery exhibition so same rules may not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

another one of my cakes, just seeing if I can get the image come up instead of a link.
    liamballpit.jpg

wow, that came out a bit big!! How do you resize the pics??

tootired wrote: »
    That looks great - has anyone gone before? Can you buy items from the exhibitors, I went to an exhibition in the NEC in Birmingham but could only buy direct from exhibitors on the last day - had to place an order on the other days and get it sent. Mind you that was a costume jewellery exhibition so same rules may not apply.

Yeah you can buy from them no problem, was at the same thing before and the Squire's Kitchen one last Spring.

guym you should be able to resize the image on the site you uploaded it to first, then add it by url etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Select the resize option on the site you use to download your pics before you download them there. Usually 500 pixels is a nice size for posting photos.

• Advertisement

One of my christmas cakes from a couple of years ago

nollaigshonachef80.jpg

Finally got this picture posting sorted. Thanks for the help! I've been making cakes for friends and family for a few years now would love to do it for a living but don't think it's feasible. Let me know what you think of the cakes, theres plenty more to see!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

tootired wrote: »
    That looks great - has anyone gone before? Can you buy items from the exhibitors, I went to an exhibition in the NEC in Birmingham but could only buy direct from exhibitors on the last day.

According to the website there's lots of shops. I was over at it a long time ago and ended up well laden down. If customs had of stopped me with all my little clingfilm wrapped packages of strange powders and potions and odd little tools;) I've booked a bag in for the return trip this time.

I'm going on the Saturday, if you've never been to the NEC its connected to the airport so couldn't be handier. Leave some bargains for the rest of us Spadina:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

guym wrote: »
    I've been making cakes for friends and family for a few years now would love to do it for a living but don't think it's feasible. Let me know what you think of the cakes, theres plenty more to see!!!

Your cakes are certainly of a very good professional standard, do they take you long? I'm also very impressed by the photography, any tips?

If you're looking for suggestions I would say cover the boards in sugarpaste, it adds a lot to the look imho

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I love cake
    20080711-tom-selleck-cake.jpg

Thanks for the comments. You are right about covering the boards, it definately makes the cakes look better, I've started doing that with some of my more recent cakes. They do take me a fair amount of time to do. As for the photography I just use a basic digital camera but sit the cakes on a large dark piece of cloth so the background is dark, it makes the cakes stand out more.
    Your cakes are certainly of a very good professional standard, do they take you long? I'm also very impressed by the photography, any tips?

If you're looking for suggestions I would say cover the boards in sugarpaste, it adds a lot to the look imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Cake I made for my niece's 4th Bday at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Legendary

m-zebra_cake_4-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Rainbow Cake

m-rainbow_cake_5.jpg

from www.notquitenigella.com

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cupcakes.
    Not very good at piping or decorating but the italian meringue butter cream turned out perfect it's just my dodgy piping that lets it down. Plopped some halloween jellies on top.
    Was going to go with a dark green colour but went with light so it wouldn't be too gross to eat. Very buttery though not my cup of tea but if you like butter you'd like the butter cream, seems even butterier than regular butter cream, mind you there is 500g of butter in the recipe.

Argh photo wouldn't work will try and upload it shortly.

Love that rainbow cake!

My spongebob cakespongebob.jpg

Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake.

DSC00585.jpg

Nigella rocks.......nice looking cake Sigma!

Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake.

DSC00585.jpg

This is a wedding cake I finished this morning for a friend who's a painter & decorator, I'm pretty pleased with it, something a little different.:):)
    ladderwedding.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Made this for a big Apple head :D

36069_10150279593205573_663690572_15279108_6924356_n.jpg

• Advertisement

guym wrote: »
    This is a wedding cake I finished this morning for a friend who's a painter & decorator, I'm pretty pleased with it, something a little different.:):)
    ladderwedding.jpg

That's so sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Lidl have ground hazelnut for sale, would be lovely in choc cakes, anyone a link for recipes, have tried searching but most of the recipes contain chopped nuts. Could use it instead of almond but different flavours might combine with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

campbellu wrote: »
    Lidl have ground hazelnut for sale, would be lovely in choc cakes, anyone a link for recipes, have tried searching but most of the recipes contain chopped nuts. Could use it instead of almond but different flavours might combine with it ?

this is for pics of cakes but yeah here are 2 recipies i think sound lovely! http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Chocolate_Hazelnut_Cake.aspx

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateHazelnutTorte.html (just use the ground hazelnuts instead of grinding your own as the recipe says)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Thanks Kerash-these 2 are exactly what I was looking for, I have goggled and got some lovely (mostly) french recipes so have lots to try out for future dinners/parties.
    I love the cakes too. :pac::pac:

This thread was getting lost so I thought id better add something...
    Could it be Stickied on the 1st page of this Forum??

Anyway here is my 1st attempt at a Giant Cupcake Cake

giantcupcakescupcakes.jpg

CopyofArmycupcakes.jpgFingers crossed

showgirlrita for a first attempt that cupcake is fab! It can't be your first attempt?? Either that or I am just really bad at Giant Cupcakes, which is entirely possible! I did one that I thought was ok until my mother did one, my God it was fab, if I can put up a photo I will.

Spadina wrote: »
    showgirlrita for a first attempt that cupcake is fab! It can't be your first attempt??.

It sure was Spadina, I swear :o The base came out fine, but the top was still warm in the mold when I tried to take it out so fell apart so i had place bits back together... its amazing what frosting will cover though haha

Glad to see you back on here, your cakes are amazing so we need to see more of them & keep this thread alive.

ha Spadina i am slightly freaked out now...the cake i am just about to start preparing for is my 1st shoe & shoe box :eek: Great minds...i decided to try it for a friend. i only tore apart a shoe last nite for template and support..dont think it will look anything like yours tho it is perfect!!

and love your moms GCC it is beautiful, love the added details of the cake board!

• Advertisement

Sorry I missed this 1st time i read your post...
    Spadina wrote: »
    Btw your icing is so perfect on the cupcake "case", maybe I was scarred by my attempt but I couldn't get it that perfect!

My trick was to coat the inside of the base mold 2 or 3 times with coloured melted white chocolate (leaving cool between each layer) and then carefully folded off the silicone mold. i just popped the base in when it was cooled, trimmed it a bit and Ta da!

oh and i forgot to say, depending on the thickness of your choc case you may need to trim the cake base 1st around the sides so it fits in the case without bursting out of it

Advertisement