Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Went into a bookies today

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

BDI wrote: »
    My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

Poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bookies just suck the life out of any town like parasites.
    Would never bother going into one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Seems back to school shopping has started OP got brought out into real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BDI wrote: »
    I entered a bookies in a very upmarket part of Dublin with a work colleague today. My god how sad it was. There was a few machines in the corner, a foreign looking lad and an Irish/Western European looking lad. The Irish looking lad was scratching his forehead when he got up there was a chunk of skin missing where he had scratched off. No messing. Neither looked like they were having any fun but their money was as good as anyone’s.
    There were another few loser looking men about the place. Sleazy looking wasters. There was also one or two people with building site clothes on, maybe on lunch. I left and waited outside.

I’m fairly getting on now but it seems all the young lads in work think this is the coolest pastime going. My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

I work with lads on big money who never have a washer who bet as a past time.
    They bum smokes all the time off the other smokers. They look older than the drinkers.

Why is it so fashionable what can be done?

Well I'd start by saying that Jonny Flakes should be recommended some E45 cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Always the same **** from them and i know a few never lost a bet always got my money back. Some people think its a hobby or innocent pass time. Gambling addiction is just like drug or alcohol it can literally ruin peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Always the same **** from them and i know a few never lost a bet always got my money back. Some people think its a hobby or innocent pass time. Gambling addiction is just like drug or alcohol it can literally ruin peoples lives.

Most people who drink or bet or take Nurofen do not end up as extras in Midnight Express.

It would however be interesting to see if bookie's margins have improved in recent years with the proliferation of mug betting on everything from virtual horses, dogs, roulette to absolutely mug odds on televised soccer.

I suspect PP is hauling in far more than when it was mainly horses and match betting on sports. Some shops don't even bother putting up the Racing Post form pages or dog cards any more.

They have cleverly tapped into the Sky EPL/Love Island/telly bingo demographic of gormless fools.

Advertisement