Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brush Shiels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He's a great singer

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Ah the Beatbox
    I seem to remember Smiley Bolger turning up every week, wearing a Lir T-Shirt and spouting about how great this band was...

I also remember him being interviewed from his hospital bed after getting the living daylights bate out of him at a Lizzy tribute gig in Limerick when the older brother of some young one he was trying it on with took exception. Two black eyes and his head in sling he was still demanding Ian Dempsey play something by Lir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Ah the Beatbox
    I seem to remember Smiley Bolger turning up every week, wearing a Lir T-Shirt and spouting about how great this band was...

He sent some AC/DC money to a guy I went to school with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Nah, BP was the human embodiment of early glam. If you put his speech to music you'd end up with a nifty T-Rex number. A genuinely cool cat, though. Like a time traveller from the hippest corner if 1974.

Always thought 'the Beep' was a bit of a hanger-on & for a guy who'd seen it all, a bit of a bore too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I saw Louie Walsh once when I was leaving the pub where the Screen used to be.

I shouted "Louie Walsh!"

He turned in my direction, but I hadn't planned any further.

I did the exact same on the train down to Trip to Tipp with Brush Shiels, actually. I saw him and shouted "Oh, its yer man" didn't know who he was other than someone I recognised from telly.

He turned around and I had absolutely nothing to follow it up with so just sat there in silence sipping a can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

On recent reflection it could have been BP Fallon. Both are a bit alike and of similar ilk.

fatknacker wrote: »
    On recent reflection it could have been BP Fallon. Both are a bit alike and of similar ilk.

Beep beep, the name dropper supreme. Dining out on a passing acquaintance with Marc Bolan in 1971.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

‘Musos’ are always such arseholes.

Aren't you a bit of trad 'muso' yourself, Johnnyboy?

Hmmm...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Is he dead or wha?

No. All three potatoes missed and the op had to buy chips that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Back in the 80s it seemed like Brush was on the Late Late every other week (when other guests were scarce)? Always reminded me of a Dublinese version of Nosferatu in a beret :)

...ah jaysus lads, dat takes me back to Philo ....

• Advertisement

fatknacker wrote: »
    I did the exact same on the train down to Trip to Tipp with Brush Shiels, actually. I saw him and shouted "Oh, its yer man" didn't know who he was other than someone I recognised from telly.

He turned around and I had absolutely nothing to follow it up with so just sat there in silence sipping a can.

I did the same with Bob Dylan a few weeks back. It was when he was playing Kilkenny.

Anyway I obviously know who he was but I shouted “it’s that guy!” as my mind went blank. Bob turns around from his entourage and stares me down for 5 terrifying seconds. Waiting for me to get the name. Then he’s had enough and he turns back.i leave quietly.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it that mightn’t have been Dylan at all. I was on Killarney not Kilkenny. It was a week later and the guy I shouted at was a red head.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I saw him play a gig for Galway RTC Rag week back in the late nineties, or maybe 2000. He put on a good show. Admittedly i'd around fifteen pints in me by the time he started playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The Brush was a legend on the pubs and clubs circuit around the country in the 1980's. You were always guaranteed a good night of music and stories when he was on stage.

He always claimed he could rock up any song ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I saw him on a doc about the song 'Old Town' by Phil Lynott the other night, he got very emotional at the end when talking about Philo. He played at my cousin's wedding, I've often seen him and smiley Bolger at rock gigs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Aren't you a bit of trad 'muso' yourself, Johnnyboy?

Hmmm...?

I play for the love of it, Utter. And for the fanny of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Fields of Athenry metal version yeuuuuk

I play for the love of it, Utter. And for the fanny of course.

Trad music is the best for fanny alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fields of Athenry metal version yeuuuuk

usually sung up north in westh Belfast...surrounded by p!ssed up Celtic clad RaHeads

*good ol'Brush doing his bit for the peace process

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does he still do "funny Friday" on Liveline?

Oh how we laughed!!

He was the opening act at SelfAid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

For some reason, I immediately though you were talking about a different brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Does he still do "funny Friday" on Liveline?

Oh how we laughed!!

He was the opening act at SelfAid.

Here we go, Here we go, Here we go
    Here we go, Here we go, Here we go oh
    Here we go oh, Here we go.

Cringing in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Here we go, Here we go, Here we go oh
    Here we go oh, Here we go.

Cringing in the 80s.

Yeah, can’t argue with that.

From what I’ve heard from the man, after “Skid Row” broke up, he couldn’t get work and had a family to support. He met up with Louis Walsh and that’s where all the ‘Fields of Athenry’ stuff came from.

It was steady work but it meant discarding the bass and “proper” music he had been playing for an income. Understandable but also a shame as the band had been releasing some good stuff.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He must have fallen out with Duffy, never on whineline these days

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He used to play gigs regularly enough in Westimers on Sullivan's Quay, Cork in the late '90s. Well able to lift the place, he was. Rockin'. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No, Brush Shiels isn't a strip of plastic glued to the bottom of a brush to stop a build up of grime, it's a hairy, bald bottom of a brush with a build up of grime.

He used to appear regularly, always grossly hungover on The Beatbox with Ian Dempsey back in the early 1990s, having spent the night drinking with some oul **** in Bruxelles.

He would splutter out some **** about who was out drinking with him, usually drug dealers, and would get angry when challenged about the top 10.

I saw him on a bicycle once, cycling through Rathmines. I threw three potatoes at him, I think they were Maris Pipers. All three missed his face, but he was very, very angry, let me tells you. I bought chips from the local chip shop that evening, but even with the extra expense, I never regretted flinging those potatoes at his big angry cycling RTE licence payer funded hungover head.

Your thinking of smiley bulger

Brush shields career was more or less over by the early nineties, never recall him on the beat box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

BP Fallon, Brush and Indo "goss" columnist Barry Egan together recounting past glories. A form of torture not yet rivaled.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yeah, he used to be reeled out as music pundit on RTE throughout the 80s and 90s based on his association with Philo.

Another pundit was BP Fallon. Was Marc Bolan's manager. Probably had more legitimate claim to be a music pundit. He used to refer to people as cats and was very strange looking and very well spoken. Had a show on 2fm I think, once a week where he would interview famous crazy cats from the music industry.

BP fallon hung out with every one in rock n roll at some stage or at least claims to have, he claims to have had the job of testing page and plants weed, might be a pile of crap but who cares

A space cadet but you need those kind of cats, rare breed nowadays

Groovy as beep would say

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Always thought 'the Beep' was a bit of a hanger-on & for a guy who'd seen it all, a bit of a bore too tbh.

BP was endlessly entertaining, full of **** but it didn't matter

"Bless his heart"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I seem to remember a claim that BP played harmonica on a Bob Dylan track.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    BP Fallon, Brush and Indo "goss" columnist Barry Egan together recounting past glories. A form of torture not yet rivaled.

One of those is much less talented than the others though.

Advertisement