Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I thought they actually did quite well by their constituency from the sounds of it (building Kilgarvan road, providing for area etc). Irrespective of if you like them or not, surely that's showing democracy working?

Shane Ross on the other hand....

The point of the Dail and it’s elected officials is to look after Ireland and it’s people. Not to gouge as much as you can for your own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The point of the Dail and it’s elected officials is to look after Ireland and it’s people. Not to gouge as much as you can for your own area.

And do you really believe that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The vast majority do nothing for anyone, they do nothing in the countries best interest and do nothing for their local community. They look out for themselves and their close pals. Say what you want about the Healy Rae's but you can never accuse them of not being good to their constituents. Last year I sent two letters to a prominent Cork South Central TD and called into his office to leave my number and to this day I've still heard nothing. That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

that might be the theoretical purpose but if it was really true then people wouldn't elect these TDs

we can moan all we like about TDs and how they act....it is all as a direct result of how people decide who to vote for...it is the constituents fault not the TDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I can't abide them but I have to admit they are not as dumb as they make themselves out to be. They have a tremendous support in their constituency and that's all that matters to them.
    The difference between their public persona and what you get when you meet them is astounding. They use 'their' accent to downplay their intelligence and use the attitude that they are as thick as two short planks to manoeuvre around any obstacles in their way and they do it with some brilliance.

I would know a few who have received assistance in dealing with insurmountable problems they have come across with the public service and it's sorted in a day or two with a phone call or two.

I often wonder why it's just rural TDs tarred with just looking out for their own constituents when urban TDs are just as uninterested in Ireland PLC as the rural TDs.

Tony Gregory (possibly the original) and quite a number of the current AAA/SD/PBP TDs could just as easily be lumped into the same description. And I haven't even mentioned TDs from the main parties yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Textronic

Those caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

People think they're idiots....they're not.
    They are 2 smart whoores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

They sure are smart, and they love playing the poor, simple country men against rich Dublin 4, and Shane Ross ... Yin and Yang.

dulux99 wrote: »
    The vast majority do nothing for anyone, they do nothing in the countries best interest and do nothing for their local community. They look out for themselves and their close pals. Say what you want about the Healy Rae's but you can never accuse them of not being good to their constituents. Last year I sent two letters to a prominent Cork South Central TD and called into his office to leave my number and to this day I've still heard nothing. That's the difference.

If it was in relation to a local matter you should have been getting onto your local councillors. Not wasting the time of TDs. No wonder the place is a mess.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And do you really believe that happens?

I don’t, and that’s a massive problem. It should be happening. Massive overhaul is needed of the Irish political system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Louis Theroux is missing a trick bigtime by not doing a 'follow them around' documentary film with these lads. It would be brilliant.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Raucous

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    They have to be putting on that accent. I can't understand a word out of them. Need subtitles. Gombeen politics.

Irishmen speaking with real Irish accent shocker. They don't shy away from their heritage.
    The people of Kerry would sooner sew their mouths shut than play the cringe inducing game of *let's pretend we're yanks* found in the rest of the country. This isn't "Tallafornia"
    This is Ireland.

buried wrote: »
    Louis Theroux is missing a trick bigtime by not doing a 'follow them around' documentary film with these lads. It would be brilliant.

They do have a bit of the oul Jimmy Savile about them

If it was in relation to a local matter you should have been getting onto your local councillors. Not wasting the time of TDs. No wonder the place is a mess.

It was not to do with a local matter, thanks.

It was not to do with a local matter, thanks.

So what’s them being “good to their constituents” got to do with your argument??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

riemann wrote: »
    Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.

Their outfits and pantomime plays well to their base. What they carry out at local level to benefit them and theirs, FF/FG do the exact same, but on a larger scale. They didn't become millionaire by accident.

So what’s them being “good to their constituents” got to do with your argument??

I didn't put forward an argument. They're good to their constituents, that's a fact... I don't think even their most ardent critics would beg to differ

I didn't put forward an argument. They're good to their constituents, that's a fact... I don't think even their most ardent critics would beg to differ

But that’s not their job, and is the problem with politics in Ireland.

But that’s not their job, and is the problem with politics in Ireland.

Don't I know it. My point is atleast they do something for the regular Joe soap on the street in kerry. Most of the people in the dail do nothing for anyone other than themselves and their old college buddies. It's a flawed system of course I know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Not for the greater good, they aren't. It is all on a very personal level, their interference , sorry, their help. Often to the disadvantage of some other person, who will have to find his/her place way down the list.

People often tall me that the Healy-Raes do a lot of good for Kerry. When I ask if they can give me specifics, the go "er er, well they've done the road for so and so, or they have been to the funeral of my cousin 5 times removed.

It is corruption to some level as far as I'm concerned. Money might not be exchanged, but a few votes here and there will do the trick.

They might not be great intellectuals, but they are clever and crafty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.

My dear man, they are the epitome of democracy.

Are you aware that Mike garnered the highest vote of any politician in the last general election?

His brother Danny who decided to enter as a candidate in the same General Election at literally the last minute was also elected as a TD in the same constituency.

No Healy Rae has ever lost an election.

Have a small think about that there now.

They represent Kerry people and represent them dam well, they make no excuses regarding this and are proud to proclaim it.

The fact that you think you have never heard any of them express any knowledge or education on any subject says a lot more about you than it does of any of the Healy Raes.

Haters will always hate and while the Healy Raes might look like an easy target they are far from it.

I met their father Jackie through salmon fishing around their locality many decades ago and a nicer, more helpful, witty person you couldn't hope to meet.

He was a fine saxophone player too.

Mike and Danny are probably the two hardest working politicians in the Dáil.

Then you have Johnny and Maura, both Councillors on KCC and soon to be members of the Dáil judging by the amount of work they are doing for people, as well as following their own separate successful careers outside of politics.

Young Jackie is another workaholic with a bright political career ahead of him.

I know for a fact that the Healy Raes have helped people outside of their constituency with matters that other more local politicians could not, and I'm not talking about securing a medical card.

Hats off to them is what I say.

A famous RTE reporter once asked the late Jackie

"Do you ever take off the hat?"

"No" says Jackie.

"Not even to scratch your head?"

Quick as a flash Jackie says "Do you take off your dress to scratch your arse?"

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Those hats are only props

They have them on for gobsh1tes watching them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

griffin100 wrote: »
    Most TDs are little more than glorified county councelllors with little or no power to make any changes, these guys just play the system to a tee and are just better then most of the others at doing so. I have no time for their sh1te and never heard either of them make a sensible contribution to anything until this morning.......

On Pat Kennys radio show Michael was talking about the scheme whereby you can get your medical treatment in the EU for free if you can't get it in Ireland. He spoke about setting up a relationship with a hospital in the north and helping constituents avail of the scheme. He has helped people get surgery in a few weeks who otherwise would be waiting years for the HSE to do anything. Whatever you think of him he has made a real diffferene to these people's lives.

He also have a very sensible overview of why the need for him to do this is ridiculous and why we should be doing these treatment at home. I was surprised and shocked at how good he was. That's not something id ever thought I'd write about a Healy Rae.

Heard that on the radio this morning. I'm fairly sure it isn't even that he tells his constituents what's available to them but that he himself actually created the relationship with that hospital and actually organises the whole thing for the person he is helping, like everything apart from driving them there. That's good service. No wonder they vote for him.
    I also know of someone from a different part of the country who rang one of them to get some query answered. When the person I know started apologising for ringing seeing as not being from Kerry, the Healy Rae fellow told him not to worry at all, that he gets calls non stop from all over rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I wonder what the doctors of the HSE who set up similar relationships and work hard & selflessly for their patients would have to say about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I'm sure that sounded awfully clever in your head, the dearest of men.

I've found you can tell a lot about about a person based on how vigorously they will defend a family whose only purpose in life is to suckle at the teat of the public purse.

I am of the opinion society would be better served if we were not forced to endure the ramblings of persons who can best be described as indirectly corrupt.

They do well for the people of Kerry? Great, how about they concentrate on that and refrain from pontificating on matters of national importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Are you aware that Mike garnered the highest vote of any politician in the last general election?

His brother Danny who decided to enter as a candidate in the same General Election at literally the last minute was also elected as a TD in the same constituency.

No Healy Rae has ever lost an election.

Have a small think about that there now.

They represent Kerry people and represent them dam well, they make no excuses regarding this and are proud to proclaim it.

The fact that you think you have never heard any of them express any knowledge or education on any subject says a lot more about you than it does of any of the Healy Raes.

Haters will always hate and while the Healy Raes might look like an easy target they are far from it.

I met their father Jackie through salmon fishing around their locality many decades ago and a nicer, more helpful, witty person you couldn't hope to meet.

He was a fine saxophone player too.

Mike and Danny are probably the two hardest working politicians in the Dáil.

Then you have Johnny and Maura, both Councillors on KCC and soon to be members of the Dáil judging by the amount of work they are doing for people, as well as following their own separate successful careers outside of politics.

Young Jackie is another workaholic with a bright political career ahead of him.

I know for a fact that the Healy Raes have helped people outside of their constituency with matters that other more local politicians could not, and I'm not talking about securing a medical card.

Hats off to them is what I say.

A famous RTE reporter once asked the late Jackie

"Do you ever take off the hat?"

"No" says Jackie.

"Not even to scratch your head?"

Quick as a flash Jackie says "Do you take off your dress to scratch your arse?"

They are elected to Dail Eireann to represent the people of Ireland, the whole country, from inncer city flats in Dublin to Malin head.

The reason and only reason they want to be elected is so they can have a money making project signed over to them, weren't they at the front of the no water charges protests in Kerry while also holding the contracts from Irish water for that part of the country, basically yeah we will stand with ye but if ye fail we will make a fortune from it. They took direct business from local post offices and then complain about local post offices closing and if Kerry county council need any plant hire you can be sure it will be from one family only.

Its mafia like in its nature. While not illegal, in twenty or thirty years time people will be looking back going how the hell did that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Well, go on. Do tell!

The thing about the water charges: I can see their point. You want to support your constituents in their protest against what they see as an unfair and wrong tax. But you're also the only big business owner locally who has the capacity to deal with the contracts for the improvements to water infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm sure that sounded awfully clever in your head, the dearest of men.

I've found you can tell a lot about about a person based on how vigorously they will defend a family whose only purpose in life is to suckle at the teat of the public purse.

I am of the opinion society would be better served if we were not forced to endure the ramblings of persons who can best be described as indirectly corrupt.

They do well for the people of Kerry? Great, how about they concentrate on that and refrain from pontificating on matters of national importance.

So matters of national importance don't matter in Kerry.

I'll be sure to tell them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rechuchote wrote: »

The thing about the water charges: I can see their point. You want to support your constituents in their protest against what they see as an unfair and wrong tax. But you're also the only big business owner locally who has the capacity to deal with the contracts for the improvements to water infrastructure.

It's win-win for them, isn't it?

I saw MHR going around talking to the young ones in bars in Killarney on a sat night, shaking hands and taking selfies.

What big city politician ever does that? If people feel valued and their problems are sorted for them, who wouldn't vote for them?

Why should they give a fcuk what happens in inner city Dublin, the Midlands or Donegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Why should they give a fcuk what happens in inner city Dublin, the Midlands or Donegal?

This is it - would Katherine Zappone give a fück about elderly farmers down in south Kerry? Does Ruth Coppinger care whether the single farm payment is on time? Does Kate O'Connell care if young rural people can't get work locally?
    Of course they don't. So why should the Healy-Raes worry about what happens to those TD's constituents?
    Everyone votes greedily, but it seems you should only be taken to task for it if you are a culchie.

Advertisement