Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

if I am buying a share @ say $2.70 and want to minimise losses - what type of order do I input. Say if the price is falling and I want to set it to sell @ $2.60

Also when selling if a share is at $3.00 and I want to take a profit at a minimum of $2.90 - can I set up an order so that the position I hold will be automatically sold once the share price hits $2.90

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

tod1982 wrote: »
    if I am buying a share @ say $2.70 and want to minimise losses - what type of order do I input. Say if the price is falling and I want to set it to sell @ $2.60

Also when selling if a share is at $3.00 and I want to take a profit at a minimum of $2.90 - can I set up an order so that the position I hold will be automatically sold once the share price hits $2.90

To minimise losses: use Sell Option; Order Type : Stop Loss and enter price [$2.60].

To take profit @ $2.90: use Sell; Order Type : Limit Order & enter price $2.90

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

Bear in mind if the market is quiet for your stock with the stop loss, they will see your stop loss order and if they price is going to go up they will first drive the price down to sell to you at your stop loss price and then allow the price to go up. If the market is busy you have nothing to worry about as too many trades are happening simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Anyone has a referral code for degiro pls pm me...cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Anyone has a referral code for degiro pls pm me...cheers...

Why do you need a referral code Roberto, and I don't see a referral code option, there is an email invitation which you can use, pm me your email address if you want me to invite you, not sure if you gain out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Why do you need a referral code Roberto, and I don't see a referral code option, there is an email invitation which you can use, pm me your email address if you want me to invite you, not sure if you gain out of it.

That email invitation bonus comes with so many t&c' s it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

That email invitation bonus comes with so many t&c' s it's ridiculous

Hadn't looked at it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Cute Hoor wrote:

Ohh ok just read somewhere u get €20 using invite..might have been an old post...if no benefit i would avoid doing it...cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone any idea whats going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭eggerb

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea whats going on here?

I think it’s related to the following, but I stand to be corrected. They sent an email recently with the same info available on this page: https://www.degiro.ie/about-degiro/cashfunds.html

“DEGIRO is not a bank but an investment firm. In the Netherlands investment firms are not allowed to hold money of clients. Therefore, when you become a client of DEGIRO, you give a standing order to invest money in money market funds (the FundShare Cash Funds). Hence, at DEGIRO you do not hold money. For every currency available in the WebTrader, a separate money market fund is available. The objective of the money market funds is to realise a return that is equal to the market interest rate with as low a risk as possible. An additional advantage to the low risk, is that your Cash Fund participations, just like your other investments, are kept strictly separate from the assets of DEGIRO.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Value Investor

Thank you for all the advice here, just signed up with DeGiro today.

Question: What happens when you are charged an annual connection fee, but don't have any 'cash funds'?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭eggerb

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Question: What happens when you are charged an annual connection fee, but don't have any 'cash funds'?

It’s only applied when you go to trade so it is calculated into the fees at trade execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Is it straightforward to make a withdrawal of funds from Degiro? Is there a KYC like with the bookies involving passport scans etc.?

Also, would anyone know if regular deposits would be flagged in the same way as gambling when it comes to applying for a mortgage? (I know investing is not gambling, just wondering how the banks would treat it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Amber Mealy Illness

Yes and yes.

I cannot answer your last question but I presume not, as the banks themselves have investment products. Best ask your bank?
    Is it straightforward to make a withdrawal of funds from Degiro? Is there a KYC like with the bookies involving passport scans etc.?

Also, would anyone know if regular deposits would be flagged in the same way as gambling when it comes to applying for a mortgage? (I know investing is not gambling, just wondering how the banks would treat it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Underground

Any financial adviser worth their salt will advise you to invest a portion of your salary each month in the capital markets. It's sensible money management. There's no way they could look at regular deposits into Degiro on your bank statement in the same way they would look at Paddy Power transactions, it's chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BiroDoor

Hi I’m thinking of putting in €200 a month but this isn’t enough to buy a share in amazon or Apple. Is it possible to buy a fraction of a share? Shame I cannot just buy a vanguard tech fund!

Also, has anyone used the current offer of €1,000 in free transaction credit? It looks like you need to buy over €10 per day for 100 days in a row to get all the cash. That seems difficult as you would have to buy shares worth €10+ each day and pay for the difference yourself?

BiroDoor wrote: »
    Hi I’m thinking of putting in €200 a month but this isn’t enough to buy a share in amazon or Apple. Is it possible to buy a fraction of a share? Shame I cannot just buy a vanguard tech fund!

Also, has anyone used the current offer of €1,000 in free transaction credit? It looks like you need to buy over €10 per day for 100 days in a row to get all the cash. That seems difficult as you would have to buy shares worth €10+ each day and pay for the difference yourself?
    Just because the offer is there doesn't mean you HAVE TO take it. Degiro fess are so low anyway, its moot. I'm currently spending €0.55 a transaction.

If it were one of the other guys who charge €20-60 euro a transaction, then it would be a different kettle of fish!

Also, owning amazon and apple are stock isn't the be-all and end-all. It would take you over 7 months to buy 1 amazon share when you could buy a big diversity of shares for €1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I just noticed the following financial news. It's good to know that DeGiro seems to be doing well financially.

(CercleFinance.com) - On Thursday Degiro reported that it generated Q1 revenues of some 14.27 million euros, up 49% y-o-y.

The broker also announced 290,004 customer accounts at the end of the period, up 67% relative to Q1 2017. It also recorded a total of 4,662,993 transactions as of 31 March (+30%), of which 4,597,645 were executed by private customers, up 51%.

This is the best quarter since Degiro's launch in 2013.

The return of volatility, combined with a strong focus on Blockchain technologies has led to a significant recruitment of new customers early in the first quarter, the group added, which once again reported profit over the quarter.

Finally, based on publically available information, Degiro now features in the top 3 online brokers in France in terms of transaction volumes executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Can you do options trading? If so has anyone any experience with doing it on degiro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I've started of the €1000 promotion credit..

It pays you back at the end of month, the total amount of fees you've paid, to a limit of €10 per day.
    That is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Guys quick question and may not be for this thread but anyway,
    I have BOI paper shares and I want to digitise these and add them to my Degiro portfolio.

I am looking for a how-to guide to get this done as I haven't a clue. I'm an intermediate investor at best but as for the legalities of the system and sector i am pretty much lost, especially when it comes to paper shares.

I bought them a few years ago, paid massive fees and don't want to ever fall into that trap again. All help appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Hi everyone - does anyone know why the 'Total Difference' tab on the dashboard is not actually the sum of the current positions? For example my entire portfolio is €-125.58 at the moment but 'Total Difference' reads as €3.28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi everyone - does anyone know why the 'Total Difference' tab on the dashboard is not actually the sum of the current positions? For example my entire portfolio is €-125.58 at the moment but 'Total Difference' reads as €3.28.

did you take into account the EUR CASH FUNDS?

TripleAce wrote: »
    did you take into account the EUR CASH FUNDS?

yea that's at zero

Sure it wasn't on day difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I think it doesn't take into account DeGiro exchange fees. I think I asked them about it a few years ago but I can't put my finger on that e-mail.

Possibly not explaining it properly so screenshots attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cork93

Pretty sure total difference includes profits and losses from closed positions. Does that reconcile the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cork93 wrote: »
    Pretty sure total difference includes profits and losses from closed positions. Does that reconcile the difference?

I think it also includes any dividends earned and gains/losses from currency conversions.

Advertisement