Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

TV is the main culprit here, outside of those living in the locality of an LOI team, the only access to club football was MOTD and in later years live premier league games on sky etc. So a parent starts watching motd as a kid back in the 70s/80s and then passes on whatever team they grew fond of to the next of kin.

Theres a reason Liverpool and Man united are the two biggest supported clubs in Ireland, look who was successful in the 80s and who was successful in the 90s and into the 00s.

That being said, if RTE gave a flying **** about LOI down through the years it would have a larger following, I don't think it ever will or ever would have overtaken the english support but it'd be a hell of a lot better than it is.

Just look at the build up of support/popularity over the past 10 years with social media when people can reliably follow teams without the need for RTE to give it to them. Imagine what it could have been like if people had any sort of readily available or reliable access to the games without actually being there over the past 30/40 years instead of just ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Spending money and time on something doesn't make you invested, not in football especially, it's emotional investment, people that just watch on TV don't have that nervous wreck of a week building up to a derby where if you work with a fan of the other team you won't talk to each other or the fact that losing an important game doesn't just sting for a few hours or get annoying on twitter, it ruins your week at least. Spending stupid money on sky and a few hours in the pub each weekend and maybe liking a few tweets isn't investment. Remortgaging your house and taking out personal loans to save your club, organising bus's to away games, offering to help on match day, that's investment.

Irish fans of the EPL have an obvious emotional investment in there English team, this can be clearly seen by the hours they spend each week talking about there club and listening to/reading analysis, they dont just watch the match. The Liverpool/Man Utd rivalry is very strong in Ireland, there's definitely been cases of fans of the losing team trying to avoid fans of the other team after a loss. It's not the same level of investment but it's still investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Greyfox wrote: »
    Irish fans of the EPL have an obvious emotional investment in there English team, this can be clearly seen by the hours they spend each week talking about there club and listening to/reading analysis, they dont just watch the match. The Liverpool/Man Utd rivalry is very strong in Ireland, there's definitely been cases of fans of the losing team trying to avoid fans of the other team after a loss. It's not the same level of investment but it's still investment.

Pull the other one, the rivalry is so strong they watch the match in the same pub... And that's not emotional investment that's time and it's barely even that.

Pull the other one, the rivalry is so strong they watch the match in the same pub... And that's not emotional investment that's time and it's barely even that.

And that's a good thing, you should be able to watch a match in a pub with rival fans. The people who can't are usually the football fans who enjoy causing trouble and getting into fights and the people who do this are idiots rather than football fans.

It's emotional investment, even a blind man would be able to tell you this.
    When you see a grown man shout at football on a tv screen that IS an emotional reaction. When a man gets irritated by what his wife says after his team loses or when a guy spends all evening talking about his team there all examples of emotional investment. I appreciate that you cant understand why these 3 things can happen to a EPL fan but everyone knows that they do happen.

And that's a good thing, you should be able to watch a match in a pub with rival fans. The people who can't are usually the football fans who enjoy causing trouble and getting into fights and the people who do this are idiots rather than football fans.

It's emotional investment, even a blind man would be able to tell you this.
    When you see a grown man shout at football on a tv screen that IS an emotional reaction. When a man gets irritated by what his wife says after his team loses or when a guy spends all evening talking about his team there all examples of emotional investment. I appreciate that you cant understand why these 3 things can happen to a EPL fan but everyone knows that they do happen.

Who mentioned anything about trouble? It's about the fact you can't stand to see their faces if the unthinkable happens and they score or win. Same principle as going to the pub with your mates and not with dickheads you can't stand.

It's not emotional investment, to even dare put it in the same bracket as people that follow their own local club week in week out through good and bad is quite frankly insulting. Following your local team is a marriage of love and passion, following an EPL team is one of convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who are WE playing in our first game? FFS

Who mentioned anything about trouble? It's about the fact you can't stand to see their faces if the unthinkable happens and they score or win. Same principle as going to the pub with your mates and not with dickheads you can't stand.

It's not emotional investment, to even dare put it in the same bracket as people that follow their own local club week in week out through good and bad is quite frankly insulting. Following your local team is a marriage of love and passion, following an EPL team is one of convenience.

Yes ideally you'd rather not watch with rival fans but people have mates that support the other team and sometimes your in a position where you end up watching a match with a friend, you should be able to sit in a pub with them if the situation arises. Of course it's emotional investment and I do dare, loads of EPL fans in Ireland love there team just as much as you love your team. We don't choose who we fall in love with and loads of Irish people have fallen in love with an EPL team. People don't all like the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Edgware wrote: »
    Who are WE playing in our first game? FFS

Depends who you support. We play Norwich in the league first game but next game is a friendly against Sporting and there's the community shield game v City before the League campaign starts.

Yes ideally you'd rather not watch with rival fans but people have mates that support the other team and sometimes your in a position where you end up watching a match with a friend, you should be able to sit in a pub with them if the situation arises. Of course it's emotional investment and I do dare, loads of EPL fans in Ireland love there team just as much as you love your team. We don't choose who we fall in love with and loads of Irish people have fallen in love with an EPL team. People don't all like the same thing.

Blindboy said the same on his podcast last week.

Basically said that if he is criticising somebody for having fun in a different way than he has fun then it's a viewpoint he realises he has to change.

He was talking about criticising people for following instagram influencers but also mentioned how he doesn't follow soccer and used to laugh at people who liked it.

Honestly I remember my own adolescence having similar criticisms of people but I think any reasonable person grows out of it and eventually realises that some people enjoy doing things in a different way, or enjoy different things, to themselves.

If you believe some views here you'd think that as a fan of an EPL team we should just be going around feeling embarrassed at ourselves or like less of a fan than others.

Really we just really enjoy supporting our team. Does it hurt you? From the sounds of it - yes it does. But should it hurt you? No, but it's probably something you'll grow out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »

Basically said....

Nope.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nope.

Enlighten me then, what did he say? I was paraphrasing from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Enlighten me then, what did he say? I was paraphrasing from memory

Oh you've taken me up wrong. I'm saying "nope" to the whole idea of listening to the self-righteousness that is Blindboy and his masturbatory topics of discussion on a podcast.

And that's my point if you're emotionally invested in a team you don't "watch with your mates that support rivals" go to Manchester and find me a single pub on derby day with people from Manchester who support either club watching the match together, same with any other rivalry, go to any pub where locals watch the match and you won't see mixing.

Basically said that if he is criticising somebody for having fun in a different way than he has fun then it's a viewpoint he realises he has to change.

He was talking about criticising people for following instagram influencers but also mentioned how he doesn't follow soccer and used to laugh at people who liked it.

Honestly I remember my own adolescence having similar criticisms of people but I think any reasonable person grows out of it and eventually realises that some people enjoy doing things in a different way, or enjoy different things, to themselves.

If you believe some views here you'd think that as a fan of an EPL team we should just be going around feeling embarrassed at ourselves or like less of a fan than others.

Really we just really enjoy supporting our team. Does it hurt you? From the sounds of it - yes it does. But should it hurt you? No, but it's probably something you'll grow out of.

Actually yes it does hurt us because we're the ones watching Irish football die, we're the ones watching people like you allow Delaney to be in power so long, we're the ones that have to put up with your complaining whenever the national team does **** about there being no players when it's because people like you ignore the domestic league, we're the ones that have to pick up the slack because you're too lazy. So yes it does ****ing hurt us.

Oh you've taken me up wrong. I'm saying "nope" to the whole idea of listening to the self-righteousness that is Blindboy and his masturbatory topics of discussion on a podcast.

Life is all about opinions, I think his podcasts are superb, so much of what he says is very accurate.
    And that's my point if you're emotionally invested in a team you don't "watch with your mates that support rivals" go to Manchester and find me a single pub on derby day with people from Manchester who support either club watching the match together, same with any other rivalry, go to any pub where locals watch the match and you won't see mixing.

More nonsense from fairytale land. My best mate who I lived with for 4 years supported a different English team so we had to get use to watching football together. There's also lots of people out there who have partners who support opposing teams, sometimes you end up watching together and you take the risk as if your team wins its even better when you have a fan of the losing team beside you. Sure conversations with opposing fans is more interesting anyway. Fans mix everywhere except close the home grounds, this is understandable the same way as away fans wouldnt sit amongst home fans at a match.
    Actually yes it does hurt us because we're the ones watching Irish football die, we're the ones watching people like you allow Delaney to be in power so long, we're the ones that have to put up with your complaining whenever the national team does **** about there being no players when it's because people like you ignore the domestic league, we're the ones that have to pick up the slack because you're too lazy. So yes it does ****ing hurt us.

Well I think Irish football fans should keep the hurt to themselves as it's not helping anyone. Yes the Irish league is a really good league but you cant force people to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

More nonsense from fairytale land. My best mate who I lived with for 4 years supported a different English team so we had to get use to watching football together. There's also lots of people out there who have partners who support opposing teams, sometimes you end up watching together and you take the risk as if your team wins its even better when you have a fan of the losing team beside you. Sure conversations with opposing fans is more interesting anyway. Fans mix everywhere except close the home grounds, this is understandable the same way as away fans wouldnt sit amongst home fans at a match.

Well I think Irish football fans should keep the hurt to themselves as it's not helping anyone. Yes the Irish league is a really good league but you cant force people to support it.

Actual fans of rival teams don't mix anywhere on match day unless it's their job and even then its debatable. You and your best mate don't count.

Keeping the hurt to ourselves is how ***** like Delaney get away with taking 700,000 a year out of the game here while our national team sinks like a stone down the rankings. So don't you ever ****ing dare tell us to stop talking about the problems of Irish football just because you can't be arsed being part of the solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Actual fans of rival teams don't mix anywhere on match day unless it's their job and even then its debatable. You and your best mate don't count.

Keeping the hurt to ourselves is how ***** like Delaney get away with taking 700,000 a year out of the game here while our national team sinks like a stone down the rankings. So don't you ever ****ing dare tell us to stop talking about the problems of Irish football just because you can't be arsed being part of the solution.

Rival fans do mix on match days so that's not a valid argument you are making and i have first hand experience of it, actually on two occasions in London

Rival fans do mix on match days so that's not a valid argument you are making and i have first hand experience of it, actually on two occasions in London

If you notice I specifically said rival teams. Crawley and Chelsea fans being in the same pub don't count.

If you notice I specifically said rival teams. Crawley and Chelsea fans being in the same pub don't count.

Hmmm i'll still disagree

The point about the London teams i made would somewhat validate your point but i know that my brother has been in a boozer in Liverpool where both merseyside clubs fans mixed quite openly on match day

Hmmm i'll still disagree

The point about the London teams i made would somewhat validate your point but i know that my brother has been in a boozer in Liverpool where both merseyside clubs fans mixed quite openly on match day

I'm sure they have...

• Advertisement

I'm sure they have...

But they have.

Not sure what makes you an expert on this anyway and what facts or statistics you have to back up your claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Nope.

What he said makes sense though, no?

I'm sure they have...

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186337-i414-k2237977-A_good_everton_pub-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

I didn't even have to look past the second line on google to get someone's opinion on this, post 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Nope.

What he said makes sense though, no?
    Nothing he says makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Only football counts for anything so? Other sports where rival fans mix without issue is somehow lesser?

I've been to Thomand park and been stood amongst Minster fans. I was in the Saracens section (bought my tickets through Saracens) for the champions cup final.

Plenty of sports can be mixed without a problem. Plenty of football fans are grown ups too. My dad word a Chelsea jersey in the Kop. Albeit under his jacket but plenty of craic was had with Liverpool fans before the game. (My uncle, a Spurs fan, was with us too, not in a jersey though, would be odd to wear a Spurs Jersey to a Liverpool - Chelsea game) They're probably not real fans either though.......

But they have.

Not sure what makes you an expert on this anyway and what facts or statistics you have to back up your claim

I've said the facts fact are we're the biggest group of foreign fans to attend EPL games and have one of the lowest attendance per capita rates for our own domestic league in Europe. Embarrassing
    Only football counts for anything so? Other sports where rival fans mix without issue is somehow lesser?

I've been to Thomand park and been stood amongst Minster fans. I was in the Saracens section (bought my tickets through Saracens) for the champions cup final.

Plenty of sports can be mixed without a problem. Plenty of football fans are grown ups too. My dad word a Chelsea jersey in the Kop. Albeit under his jacket but plenty of craic was had with Liverpool fans before the game. (My uncle, a Spurs fan, was with us too, not in a jersey though, would be odd to wear a Spurs Jersey to a Liverpool - Chelsea game) They're probably not real fans either though.......

Jesus look at my name like. This thread is about football though, it's a completely different mentality.

Liverpools kop is notorious for having plastic fans in it these days, part of the reason "the anfield roar" is now a myth

I'm sure they have...

I’ve been to the derby. Completely mixed everywhere.

Are you saying that fans of Everton and Liverpool are segregated into different pubs on derby day?

I've seen them mix, so have other people. sometimes rival fans have to take public transport together for example. Ask any EPL fan and they will agree that Delaney was a useless m*ppet. You need to take you Delaney issue up with the FAI and not EPL fans. If Irish league fans are going to have an attitude about there league I will tell Irish fans to stop whinging about it.

I've seen them mix, so have other people. sometimes rival fans have to take public transport together for example. Ask any EPL fan and they will agree that Delaney was a useless m*ppet. You need to take you Delaney issue up with the FAI and not EPL fans. If Irish league fans are going to have an attitude about there league I will tell Irish fans to stop whinging about it.

Yeah claim to know he's a muppet but go back even 2 years and LOI fans were being told to shut up and put up because he's a great guy who bought cans.

"If Irish league fans are going to have an attitude about there league I will tell Irish fans to stop whinging about it."
    That just doesn't make sense. An attitude with our own league? It's their by the way

• Advertisement

That just doesn't make sense. An attitude with our own league? It's their by the way

This attitude of blaming EPL fans for the decline of the Irish league when the decline is due to Sky's clever advertising and the popularity of GAA and rugby.

Advertisement