Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

lFair play, that's a peach of a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The view from behind is even better again. Savage stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

because the Irish teams are shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 33,011 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nobelium wrote: »

Reads thread title, reads opening post, hits "post message"...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Did us beat youse?

Who's riding Cat in EastEnders :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

NIMAN wrote: »
    You have to take Hearts and Hibs into account as well, 2 big clubs as well, much bigger than any LoI club, so they are bringing the average up.

If you are comparing leagues, don't think you can leave the Edinburgh clubs in.

If anything it makes out paltry attendances look worse.

35,000 people attend football in Edinburgh every week, let's cut the away fans out and we'll call it 30,000 Edinburgh locals. Edinburgh is smaller than Dublin. Average attendance in Dublin between the clubs would be a third of that, and that's on a good night.

That's 30,000 people paying money to go watch two teams who haven't won the league in decades, are forever in the shadow of the big two (or big one as it's been for the last decade).

There are also thousands attending weekly in Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, despite these places are essentially suburbs of Glasgow and thus have to compete for fans with nearby clubs that are leaders in a two horse race and usually qualify for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is why I love it. This is from tonight. You can't beat being in the middle of all that craziness. An absolute belter right out of the top drawer against your fiercest rivals. Surreal.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1139665163735449601

Absolute screamer alright. Bohs beating Rovers every time is just too funny at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Reads factual post, can't stand facts, posts meaningless reply

• Registered Users Posts: 33,011 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Reads factual post, can't stand facts, posts meaningless reply

"Factual" :D:D:D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You have to take Hearts and Hibs into account as well, 2 big clubs as well, much bigger than any LoI club, so they are bringing the average up.

If you are comparing leagues, don't think you can leave the Edinburgh clubs in.

I've always had a soft spot for Hibs,back in the late 70s my own team(Everton) fans and Hibs fans had a close association,I agree them and Hearts shouldn't be overlooked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hopefully a few from here watched last night's game and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I just did a quick search and the average attendances of Hibs and Hearts that are last recorded (2018?) were 17775 and 18400 respectively.

LoI clubs aren't in the same league as these clubs.

And that is the exact point of the argument!!!

Well it's made waves across the water... no not the UK, the US. Featured as #1 on ESPN's Top 10 Plays on the Day. Mad carry on. Some exposure that is.

On reflection - and it is interesting thread with minimal abuse - I really don't see how anyone could compare being at the Dubs Galway game last night or Bohs/Rovers to watching "us" on the telly.

There really is no comparison and to follow any of those four teams requires considerable optimism, for lead off :-), but also investment in time; getting tickets, travel and so on.

Not nearly the same as clicking on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah I did, first full Airtricity league match I've watched this year and I enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bonniedog wrote: »

There really is no comparison and to follow any of those four teams requires considerable optimism, for lead off :-), but also investment in time; getting tickets, travel and so on.

The only people in this thread trying to compare are the LOI fans. I don't think about what the LOI is like when watching Liverpool.

Which, incidentally, is also an investment in time; getting tickets, travel and so on

This piece from Pundit Arena is good.

If Someone Tells You They Wouldn’t Go To A League Of Ireland Game, Show Them This

The Dublin derby was the best match in the city this week, yet it won’t have made an impression on some football fans in the country.
    Over 36,000 attended the Republic of Ireland’s limp 2-0 victory over Gibraltar on Monday evening. Yes, it was an important Euro 2020 qualifier, a game that will go some way towards deciding whether Ireland reach a tournament they will part host 12 months from now. However, as a spectacle, it was devoid of any moments of interest, excitement or entertainment.

GettyImages-1155214553.jpg

The atmosphere was flat and understandably so – it was a June game against the side ranked 195th in the world. However, a few days later on the other side of the city, at Dalymout Park, the home of Irish football, a game was taking place that several thousand spectators from the Aviva Stadium would turn their noses up at.

Ironically, there are many Irish football supporters who would consider a League of Ireland game to be “****e” and overlook it because of the so-called poor standard.

Yet, the Dublin derby between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers was everything the Ireland match wasn’t – a dramatic, exciting game, full of incidents and moments of excellence played out in front of a packed house invested in every kick of the ball, every tackle and save.

Before a ball was kicked in the match – which was won by Bohs 2-1 as they maintained their hoodoo over their rivals – Dalymount was rocking. As the rain pelted down, both sets of supporters let off flares that coloured a corner of the ground a mixture of green and red, making it difficult to see the pitch.

Luke Kelly’s “the auld triangle” played over the PA system and a roar ripped through the smoke as the players made their way onto the pitch. The match started at a breakneck pace and rarely let up.

GettyImages-1150069998-1.jpg

Jack Byrne and Danny Mandroiu stood out. The Shamrock Rovers midfielder was brilliant in the first half, showing the form that has made him arguably the best player in Ireland over the last few months. Mandroiu was on the fringes of the match but ultimately settled it with two goals, one of which was a moment of skill beyond anything seen at the Aviva Stadium over the last while.
    That strike sent the Jodi Stand into raptures. Limbs were flying everywhere, flares were set off again and Derek Pender, the Bohs captain, reminded the home support that Mandroiu had scored the goal with his weaker left foot as the player celebrated in front of the far corner of the stadium.

The Rovers fans behind the goal had seen the strike fly towards them, and were left deflated. Bohs fans chanted, “Shamrock Rovers, it’s happening again” and it was. This is Bohemians seventh victory against their city rivals in the last eight meetings between the pair – the other ended in a draw.

Rovers pushed for another opening, another chance to draw level, but it wasn’t to be as the Bohs players made several timely blocks, clearances and interceptions. They also should have had another penalty, as Roberto Lopes appeared to clear the ball off the line with his hand, but ultimately it didn’t matter. Bohs had won the Dublin derby again, and once again it was a fantastic spectacle. You will struggle to get a better Friday night’s entertainment for just €15, despite what some Irish football fans may think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylWlP6i2NM

That's an interesting video. One thing I took from it was the mass exodus from the faltering LoI to the GAA for Dublin fans. When I was a young man LoI was seen as a Dublin thing (it still is, I suppose) and it's interesting to see how they fled as soon as it got into difficulty in the 70s. Best fans in the world though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Why do Irish people follow English golfers like Rory Mcbottler?

See it can be said for all sports?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

galwayllm wrote: »

Why do Irish people follow English Formula 1 drivers like Sebastian Vettel?

****in hell you're right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why do Irish people follow English Formula 1 drivers like Sebastian Vettel?

****in hell you're right!!

See!

Can be said across the board! For all sport.

8-10 wrote: »
    The only people in this thread trying to compare are the LOI fans. I don't think about what the LOI is like when watching Liverpool.

Which, incidentally, is also an investment in time; getting tickets, travel and so on

Fair enough, if you travel to see them physically, that's your thing.

More referring to people who just watch sport on TV.

You obviously know yourself, there is no comparison.

Anyone at the Dubs/Galway or Bohs/Rovers games were not just passive consumers. They were part of something. If no one went, then we might as well all be watching video games!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fair enough, if you travel to see them physically, that's your thing.

More referring to people who just watch sport on TV.

You obviously know yourself, there is no comparison.

Anyone at the Dubs/Galway or Bohs/Rovers games were not just passive consumers. They were part of something. If no one went, then we might as well all be watching video games!

There's no comparison between watching your own team live and watching them on TV.

Same with watching a team I don't support. I'd much rather do that live than on TV.

But I'd still prefer to watch my team on TV than a team I don't support live.

Sometimes I do both. But I disagree that a local live game is automatically better than something you can watch on TV. It comes down to personal preference and I'd prefer to watch the team I support on TV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

galwayllm wrote: »

If your on about Rory Mc Ilroy who has won numerous majors and more than likely will win numerous more as a bottler.

You must have high standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

So what have we actually got here in this thread?
    Some folk criticising other folk based on their sports team choices.
    It was never going to go well was it?

People will like what they like, for their own reasons and and some other people will not understand - happens all the time across the board.

For what its worth I've renewed my Tottenham Hotspur season ticket :)

How much does that cost?

Greyfox wrote: »
    A fan is a person who supports a particular football team, if you look in the dictionary there's nothing in there about it having to be a local team or that your required to go to a certain number of matches each year. Because you prefer live football you think everyone should but some people prefer watching football on tv, people enjoy different things. You cant expect everyone to pay to watch live football as not every football fan is going to think it offers value for money. To some football fans supporting your community isnt that important to them.

I started supporting my team simply because they played lovely football and they had players that could do amazing things and yes having some sort of success is a requirement as to get enjoyment from football, you need highs to get you through the lows. I don't particularly like De Bruyne but he can do things LOI players cant do, when he plays well its worth paying money to watch him play, when you get use to watching football at the highest level its becomes hard to know wheter or not a LOI match is worth the admission price. The number 1 reason to watch football is enjoyment and lots of EPL fans dont know wheter or not they would enjoy LOI football. Barstoolers are not brainwashed, there just use to a higher standard of football.

Yes the majority will be from Valencia, but the minority are welcome at the club. Does any club in the world have signs up saying locals only? Football has changed, there may of been a time when it was about supporting your community but that's changed. Clubs are just businesses looking to get bigger, there there to make a profit. If a Japanese man goes to a LOI match the club will be happy to take his money and hope that he tells his Japanese friends about it when he goes home. If he was to become a Rovers fan they would be delighted.

Why would would anyone look in a dictionary? You're missing the point in a staggering way. Barstoolers are brainwashed. That is why they "support" all of the same teams who just happen to be always successful.

You pay for Sky/BT sports and they benefit financially too. But it's more than just financial support you give. There's a sense of community, discussions you have with work colleagues etc. Hanging flags, stickers on your car, social media

I feel a lot of pride supporting my club, particularly the past couple of
    seasons

Truly that is embarrassing.

I'll still support them. My club isn't caninteely at all. You don't own something by proximity to where you happen to be living at a point in time. I'd have had about 10 different clubs in different countries if that was the case.

Yes I support Liverpool. They are my team, i.e. the club I watch every game of, feel pride in and the club that bring me joy.

Yes I picked them, so what? I enjoy being a supporter. It's great, and especially right now. But we've sunk like a stone before and it's still been enjoyable

I hope you enjoy whatever it is you're interested in. I just find it curious that you care so much about when brings me joy and to the point of praying to god that my team so badly to somehow teach me a lesson I guess? Why do you care so much about who I support or why? My mentality is simply each to their own, we're all different with different interests.

I'm sorry mate but there's no rules on who to support and personally I have no problem with people changing clubs they support, that might be for you and more power to you but I'm not going to be changing who I support no matter where they end up so pray away.

The fact that you actually said you have no problem with people changing clubs they support sums up your incredible lack of knowledge of football culture.

janfebmar wrote: »
    We are not very good at supporting our own in this country. That is the bottom line. The OP could equally ask why do Irish people buy so much online from foreign companies. Why do we even import 72,000 tonnes of potatoes a year, much of them from Britain? (easily verified by google). If we cannot grow our own spuds what hope is there of watching our own soccer players instead of foreigners?

This barstool logic of movies, clothes and spuds being from other countries as any kind of argument is beyond inane.

To answer the original thread question the reason is as mentioned an inferiority complex, shame of being Irish, being part of a winning culture along with others in a pub and a complete and utter lack of understanding of the game and fan culture.

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Truly that is embarrassing.

Funny, I don't feel embarrassed in the slightest! As I say, pride is what I feel
    The fact that you actually said you have no problem with people changing clubs they support sums up your incredible lack of knowledge of football culture.

Who am I to judge them for changing? It's up to them, I would never do it personally but each to their own. Why do you care who I support?

To answer the original thread question the reason is as mentioned an inferiority complex, shame of being Irish, being part of a winning culture along with others in a pub and a complete and utter lack of understanding of the game and fan culture.

I feel no shame in being Irish, or an inferiority complex. Part of a winning culture is terrific for sure, it's part of why I enjoy watching my team. I feel I understand the game well and I feel I understand fan culture in England well, but specific to the top league in England where my team plays. I would have much less of an understanding of the game and fan culture in the lower leagues or with the LOI, sure.

I support my team no matter what. To me that's what fans should do. But I have no issues with others experiencing the game as they wish. Do I like tourists going to Anfield and taking selfies? It's cringey, but if that's what brings them joy then more power to them. Soccer is a great medium and can be escapism for many people. I'm glad it exists and if people enjoy supporting their team in whatever way they want to then that's great in my book! The more people watching the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why would would anyone look in a dictionary? You're missing the point in a staggering way. Barstoolers are brainwashed. That is why they "support" all of the same teams who just happen to be always successful.

Your coming up with definitions out of thin air so I'm just pointing out that your definiteions have no basis in reality. I'm not missing the point, im pointing out the fact that even though clubs are founded with an area in mind there is never anything in place stating that if your not from the area your not welcome to support the club, no club is going to turn away fans for living too far away so if you don't feel a connection with your local team your free to find a team that you can feel a connection with.

Barstoolers are not brainwashed, they simply would rather watch an amazing team on tv rather then watch an ordinary team live. The fact is some people find it easier to fall in love with a team on tv as when its on tv its easier to access, you just cant accept the fact that people are different and not everyone has the same opinion as you. Nothing wrong with supporting a succesful team, again people are free to do what they enjoy. If they support a local team as well they can get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Our next door neighbour supports ManU, he also has a season ticket and they make regular trips over with friends.
    They live and breath football, and why not ......

I couldn't be bothered though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Our next door neighbour supports ManU, he also has a season ticket and they make regular trips over with friends.
    They live and breath football, and why not ......

I couldn't be bothered though.

That will prob stop now they are ****e again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

That will prob stop now they are ****e again

A dundalk "fan" mocking other supporters for their glory hunting. One man and his dog watching Dundalk a few years ago. Now its about 200 and a dog.

Wonder when it will revert to normal levels for you?

Advertisement