Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 243 Whittaker vs. Adesanya Sat Oct 5th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

ricero wrote: »
    Wow what a performance by Adasenya. Made it look easy, Whittaker just couldn't get near him.

Welcome to the Adasenya era, the new face of the Ufc.
    Took apart a great fighter and looks like he can still improve heaps.
    Already jumped well up the P4P list

• Registered Users Posts: 37,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Already jumped well up the P4P list
    Gone right to the top for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Whittaker by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Gone right to the top for me.
    do you think he will beat Jones if they fight?

Yes, I think he'll beat anybody he meets over the next couple of years. I don't think we've ever seen the likes of him before although I do like the Anderson Silva comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

selassie wrote: »
    do you think he will beat Jones if they fight?

No.
    Jones is a better all round fighter, he'll dismantle him.
    Israel is good, Jones is better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Adesanya by Sub
    Have to say Paulo Costa is a perfect first opponent for Adasenya.

Should be a cracking fight and build-up. It will end early though and most likely for Israel.

There is a real fresh feel to the middleweight division now with the likes of Adasenya, Whittaker, Gastelum, Costa etc and with the likes of Bisping retired and Silva, Weidmann, Rockhold and Romero either moved up a division or near the end of their runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Yes, I think he'll beat anybody he meets over the next couple of years. I don't think we've ever seen the likes of him before although I do like the Anderson Silva comparison.

That's a big statement I wouldn't give him a prayer against Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

ricero wrote: »
    Have to say Paulo Costa is a perfect first opponent for Adasenya.

Should be a cracking fight and build-up. It will end early though and most likely for Israel.

There is a real fresh feel to the middleweight division now with the likes of Adasenya, Whittaker, Gastelum, Costa etc and with the likes of Bisping retired and Silva, Weidmann, Rockhold and Romero either moved up a division or near the end of their runs.
    I was backing for Costa but Romero won imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Adesanya by KO/TKO
    Whittaker really struggled with that reach disadvantage. He just seemed to be running in and punching upwards all the time in an effort to overcome it and played right into Adesanya's counter-striking. Apart from trying to take him down it's difficult to see how he could have beaten him.

I think we might finally have someone to beat Jon Jones, especially given the trajectory of their respective careers. Jones won't have his usual height and reach advantage and Adesanya is a far more effective striker than Alexander Gustafsson (the only other comparabley sized fighter that Jones fought).

Aside: Imagine being Darren Till, moving up to a division where the top 6 are : Adesanya, Whittaker, Costa, Romero, Gastellum and Cannonier. Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Beat Jon Jones.....lol

Jones would take him down anytime he wanted and slap the sh1t out of him.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote:
    Beat Jon Jones.....lol
    If I had the inclination or interest to do it if bet it could go through your posts and find many times where you had a similar lol and out right statement and were wrong.
    Would I be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's fun to talk super fights, but Id be happy to watch Adesanya through multiple title defences.

The landscape shift at 185 has been significant enough for it to hold up with interest and excitement over the next 18 months to 2 years. Seems his team have other ideas however...(he does also look formidable in those 100kg bouts, even if undersized).

Wouldn't mind seeing Gastelum have another crack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Israel Adesanya reminds me why I fell in love with MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whittaker by Sub

Jones would literally throw him around the cage.

Jones is a huge LHW. There's a 20lb gap in the weight classes and probably close to 30lbs gap between the weights they walk around at, if not more.

It would be a murder.

I hate all this Jones v Adesanya talk. Izzy is a small middleweight and just became champ. Why is there a rush for people to want to see him move up? He's only just arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dulux99 wrote: »
    I hate all this Jones v Adesanya talk. Izzy is a small middleweight and just became champ. Why is there a rush for people to want to see him move up? He's only just arrived

Fairly sure Israel mentioned it himself. Stipe was mentioned as well, which is an even bigger lol.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Fairly sure Israel mentioned it himself. Stipe was mentioned as well, which is an even bigger lol.

Oh I know. Haha. I hate Izzy talking about it.

Adesanya has the height to move up. He'll have to bulk up to make it happen but that should not be a problem considering he is so tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was really impressed with Dan Hooker, that was a total shutdown of Al. Tai Tuivasa has looked seriously poor his last few fights.

JJayoo wrote:
    Beat Jon Jones.....lol
    If I had the inclination or interest to do it if bet it could go through your posts and find many times where you had a similar lol and out right statement and were wrong.
    Would I be right?

Na I think it's more likely that you were just talking out your hoop :)

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote:
    Na I think it's more likely that you were just talking out your hoop
    I wouldn't call myself an expert just Avery keen fan of MMA. I've given my opinion on Adesanya. I'm a huge Jon Jones fan too, as a matter of fact if you look back a bit you'll see that only a couple of weeks ago I was disagreeing with others who said that Khabib was ahead of him in the p4p rankings.

I do believe that Jones is at the end of his reign though. I believe that if Adesanya can put nthe weight required he will beat Jon Jones. I think a fully recovered Thiago Santos would beat him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A star guys possibly in the mould of McGregor. He's brash and he's got the talent.
    Nonsense about Jones he has loads of good fights at 185 and he's a really light MW.

Dan hooker was brilliant, Lima had a good fight, tuivasa looked terrible he was picked apart. Good card enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Homelander wrote: »
    Tai Tuivasa has looked seriously poor his last few fights.

He's in terrible physical shape, no conditioning, really bad cardio, seems really ill-disciplined when listening to him give an interview.

3 defeats in a row now, time to look in the mirror.

Hooker was a savage, his size and reach is huge, hard to imagine he made 145

• Registered Users Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even though its a record , the crowd seem really quiet all night maybe its because of the big arena

Yeah, the stadium feels very hollow inside. It’s a huge AFL pitch.
    Adesanya has the height to move up. He'll have to bulk up to make it happen but that should not be a problem considering he is so tall.

To adequately move up he’ll need to add 20-25 lbs. That would require about two years or copious amounts of steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »

To adequately move up he’ll need to add 20-25 lbs. That would require about two years or copious amounts of steroids.

yoel says he can get it done in 6 months with prayer alone.

dashoonage wrote: »
    yoel says he can get it done in 6 months with prayer alone.
    Yoel is 3/4 of the most there already.
    Costa too.
    Jesus juice FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 20,505 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As good as Izzy is and as likeable as he is , Jone's would absolutely smash him, he would man handle him he'd ragdoll him if he got his hands on him ,
    The guy outwrestled DC for Christ sake,

JJayoo wrote: »
    Jamie Mullarkey getting his debut tonight Against Brad Riddle.

Strong connections with Sligo,he was over visiting a few years ago, really sound guy.

Hopefully he will get the win and some support
    Jamie out of his next fight due to injury.
    A training partner and mate looks set to be his replacement.
    Short notice fight, moving up a division. Time to shine.

https://www.fightnewsaustralia.com/joshua-culibao-signs-with-ufc-set-to-debut-at-ufc-auckland/

Ah sh1te

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ah sh1te
    Unfortunate for Jamie. He’ll get another fight. But I’m absolutely delighted for Josh.
    Tempted to fly over now.

Advertisement